Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retiring Sets? What to choose for demo set?

Ok, this $30 off the starter kit is REALLY putting the pressure on. I had decided to wait until after convention to sign up because I worried about chosing sets that would be retired in my starter kit. Plus, I didn't want to get a bunch of catty's that everyone already had and then I would have to turn around and get new ones. Make sense? But, $30 is $30. So ladies, what sets would you recommend for the starter kit that you don't think will be retired???? Thanks for all the advice! My hubby is going just roll his eyes.... I have been all the fence for a month now!!!

THANkS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

In Full Bloom would be a very good bet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

That's a great set. I have used it several times in projects. Good one! Come on ladies - don't let me down...What other ones??? THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I think Roses in Winter is a very nice set. I also like Sketch It.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You're right $30 is $30 but to have to buy more catalogs in 2 months will cost you over $30. I wouldn't want to chance what may or may not get discontinued either, Having to buy new sets can add up too. I think Shapes and Shadows will still be in the next catalog since it's been popular and was new this year. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

i would think you are pretty safe with any of the sets that come standard in the starter kit if you don't have them yet. canvas and collage alphabet are two more good bets since they extended the sales of them. and you only get 8 catalogs in your starter kit--you'll likely need that many just for workshops. i signed up less than a month ago and i already need the booster kit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytime
You're right $30 is $30 but to have to buy more catalogs in 2 months will cost you over $30. I wouldn't want to chance what may or may not get discontinued either, Having to buy new sets can add up too. I think Shapes and Shadows will still be in the next catalog since it's been popular and was new this year. Good luck with your decision!
But you can purchase the booster set, which is a great value for a lot of extra business supplie incling the 05-06 cattys.

I would get sets that you really like and think would be easy to demo. I think Bold Butterfly, I'm Here, Canvas Background, Collage Alpha, Solmemn Stillness, Smitten, Lovely Leaves, Greetings Galore, and In Full Bloom are safe bets...oh and probably the Paisley...due SCS :lol:

But I don't claim to know anything..but those are some new ones that seem to be popular that I would HATE to see leave.

As far as some of the good 'ol stamps like sketch it, Frosty, Simple Sketches, and Lovely as a Tree...I would not want them to discontinue, but it could be their time. Once atgain this is just my guess, I don not know any details!!

Good Luck and Have fun!

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #8  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

You're right $30 is $30 but to have to buy more catalogs in 2 months will cost you over $30
The booster kit is only $36 and comes with 8 catty's and a bunch of business supplies!!!

Go with what you think you like!! You can always trade them off later for new sets if they happen to retire... I know I did that in November with the retired ones I had. I love my In Full Bloom and my Terrific Tulips... my favorite 2 sets right now... and yes Canvas is a good choice for a background stamp. Otherwise if you want something that is offered in the starter kit get that.. I am pretty sure they won't retire something that is offered in there, but if they change it next year we will know they are going to retire it.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

[quote="msdetloff"]
Quote:

.I think , Canvas Background, Collage Alpha, Good Luck and Have fun!Mindy
Does anyone think these are going to be in the new catty or are they just leftovers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't heard, maybe someone has, but I think it is all guessing.

I think it is a very good bet though.

I think you should go with what you like, what you want to demo.

If it retires, you will be able to trade or sell it for at least almost full value so you really can't lose.

If you are still looking for what really won't retire think about these things, what is popular in the SCS gallery? Also newer sets, like those from this year's catalog are less likely to retire.

Good luck, stamping is fun, don't stress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, So I just filled out my paper work this morning to be sent in April 1 ( I was going to send it in April 1 anyway... now the sale just makes it sweeter! ) Anyhow... these are the sets I chose and my rational for doing so....

In Full Bloom ( because there are freakin' 1421 cards in the SCS gallery last time I checked! How can SU retire something so popular at SCS? :shock: )
Bloomin Wheel to match
Wonderful words to replace Tag Time because I like them better and they are newer.
Sparkling Summer because I don't like the party set in the kit and both birthday party sets are pretty old- so I was concerned that they might both retire. Sparkling Summer is newer and I felt with summer fast approaching that it would be a good set to demo at Stamp Clubs and as a scrap book set.
Itty Bitty backgrounds- I know it's been around for awhile but there really isn't anything newer in the caddy that replaces it... it's kinda like an old work horse.
All Year Cheer II - Because I like it better than year 1 ( Both have been around awhile though... so it's a gamble)

Hope that helps! My Demo and I had a lenghty discussion about what to chose and this is just what we came up with based on what I already own and what we felt had been around long enough to be at risk to retire!

Just Clay, Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I would wait till July when the new Catolog comes out. Then you would have a fresh start on everything new and you could order all new sets. That is what I did last July and it has worked great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

[quote="mishkismom"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by msdetloff
Quote:

.I think , Canvas Background, Collage Alpha, Good Luck and Have fun!Mindy
Does anyone think these are going to be in the new catty or are they just leftovers?
I know they announced that Canvas would be in next year's catty. . . the rest??? No idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I'd say sign up in April for sure!

Wonderful Words

In Full Bloom

All Year Cheer I

are sets I'd get for sure...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I am also signing up April 1st. I have most of the starter kit sets so this is what I am planning on getting just because I like them.

In Full Bloom
Wonderful Words
Polka Dot Party
All Year Cheer 2
Handmade with Love 1
(Undecided about wheel- thinking generic)

Just my 2 cents!

**Let me know if you sign up. Maybe we could chat about how it's going etc. periodically. :lol:

Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks to everyone for their ideas! I really appreciate it. I have used the Canvas background several times now - and really love it. I had In Full Bloom on my list as well. I am going to keep Fresh Flowers - since I get inspiration sheets for those as well. I spoke with my demo about retiring sets and the catty's. She agreed and said to go with what I like. Also, a suggestion she had for the old catty's was hostess gifts that people would like who don't have one. Are there people out there that don't??? Thanks again! My hubby is SO supportive. We are going to read some of the other posts tonight. You guys are the GREATEST!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I think if you choose sets that you LOVE it won't matter a whole lot if one of them retires. You will use it for personal use because you will still LOVE it!

I signed in April last year and didn't regret it at all! I earned lots of free sets when I started due to SU! promotions and SU! Stampin' Start program.

You will have time to work on building a customer base to share the excitement of the new catalogue in July.

D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default Sign up in April

Some of the new sets are:
Shapes and Shadows, In Full Blook, All the Best, Simply Circles, Sparkling Summer, Wonderful Words I & II, Tiny Talk.

Just do it.....you're gonna love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmmmm, I've been battling with this too, and since I'm such a sucker for a great bargain I'm taking the plunge just because of it. I thought about waiting too, for the new catalog, but I can't resist a great sale!

As far as the sets, I really appreciate the input here. I went ahead and actually bought 3 of the sets which come in the kit because I didn't know they were in there and really had no intention of signing up in the first place. Now that I have them I will substitute them with other sets and won't worry if they retire because like someone said, if you like them anyway, you will use them at the very least for personal use.

That said, I'm thinking of In Full Bloom too because I also read it accompanies the Wings and Things sets which are in the Spring mini catalog. I'd hope they won't retire just because of that but I won't worry either way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Just guessing but I would think Fun with Shapes will stay as well along with what has been mentioned above...In Full Bloom, Shapes and Shadows, Wonderful Words I & II, Canvas, Collage alpha.

I would say the All Year Cheer 1/2/3 are standbys too, but conceivably they could retire all three and replace with something new to mix it up.

I also like Sketch an Event...I use it often...but I wouldn't bet the house on it staying.
Reply With Quote Likes