View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 05:39 AM   #20
MyPrecious
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Here is what I know..........

We used to have 2 dalmatians and found out that the dalmatians (often spelled wrong as dalmations)... were pace dogs. They have phenomenal lung capacity and they were able to set the pace for the horses when the fire trucks were horse drawn. The dalmatians were kept on as a "symbol" once the fire trucks became motorized.....

Many people actually thought that it was because dalmatians were prone to deafness and the fire bells would not bother them and make them howl. I cannot count the number of times were were asked that when we had our dogs. Dalmatians are actually more prone to deafness because the gene for hearing and the gene for white coloring are next to each other (at least that is what a vet once told us). Additionally, Dalmatians are actually black dogs with white markings, not white dogs with black spots. Some dalmatians have brown (liver colored) spots.

Dalmatians are the #1 biters - or so we were told. People just assume that "pongo" will not bite. People would send their kids up to us and let them pet our poochies without ever asking. Luckily our dogs were fantastic with kids. There was a HUGE problem with people buying dalmatians once the disney movies came out, esp. after the "live" one!

I would not reccomend a dalmatian as a pet. They shed PROFUSELY! We still have dog hair all over the house (and they were not allowed in the house the past 5 years). That is how bad they shed! Plus, they have been dead for quite some time. It is just that the hairs are spiny and sharp and they STICK to everything. I think once we move out of the house, the hair will follow us!

That is my 2 cents......