Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the downside to demo-hood?

I'm really trying to decide if I should be a demo. I know there are lots of upsides. What are the downsides? Anybody decide to do it and regret it? Why? The downsides I can think of are 1) stress at not making the quarterly minimum, but then you just stop being a demo and 2) having that stress take away from a hobby and make it seem too much like "work". Am I overthinking this? Thanks for any light you can shed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Default thats the biggest for me

is keeping up with my minimus, I have a small child and a work-a-holic hubby so getting a babysitter everytime a "show" would come up is just not cost efficient for me. I started a club with 4 people committing to $45 a qtr each qtr someone being hostess, so that as helped, but there is still a portion left over for me to spend, or to find outside orders to cover if I can't. Another downfall for me is the restrictions demos have. The are avenues that I would like to pursue but can't due to being a demo. Otherwise, I have had fun and met alot of great people, but will probably retire my demoship by the end of the year so it won't seem so stressful for me. Hoep this helps without to much negative sounding.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: thats the biggest for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by tishintexas
is keeping up with my minimus, I have a small child and a work-a-holic hubby so getting a babysitter everytime a "show" would come up is just not cost efficient for me. I started a club with 4 people committing to $45 a qtr each qtr someone being hostess, so that as helped, but there is still a portion left over for me to spend, or to find outside orders to cover if I can't. Another downfall for me is the restrictions demos have. The are avenues that I would like to pursue but can't due to being a demo. Otherwise, I have had fun and met alot of great people, but will probably retire my demoship by the end of the year so it won't seem so stressful for me. Hoep this helps without to much negative sounding.
I have had some of the same questions as wendita and I am just curious:

Why is being a demo restrictive? Also, what avenues can you not pursue as a demo?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I was a demo for 6 years and like life itself there were ups and down. I stopped being a demo a couple of years ago because I needed to devote more time to my family. But during the time that I was a demo, I absolutely enjoyed the experience.

Yes, there were times when I stressed about making my quarterly minimums, but the rewards did outweigh the stress. I love stamping so much that I enjoyed all that I was able to do - it never seemed like a "job" to me. Once in awhile I would run into the hostess from "you know where" but those are few and far between. On the whole I really enjoyed the experience. Even tho it was stressful on my family too, at times, the kids still ask me if I'm ever going to be a demonstrator again. They love to stamp, too!

Here's a list of the things that I consider great rewards from my time as a demo:

1. I made so many wonderful friends. On the whole, stampers are wonderful people - as is evident from all the great people here at SCS!

2. I was able to stay current with the new techniques.

3. Being a demo encouraged me to use my creativity. It's too easy now to think I can do it later, but then I knew that I needed new and fresh ideas.

4. SU is a wonderful company!!!! So much support and training. The thing I miss most is not being able to go to convention. Convention was always the highlight of my year.

I know this post isn't what you were looking for - there will always be the negative in any situation, but if you look for the positive, more positive will come back to you and there is so much positive about Stampin' Up! and my experience with the company that I just wanted to share with you.

I would encourage you to sign up with SU. Look at it as another adventure. Enjoy the ride!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

The one big negative I have found is I want to buy everything. (The good news is I do get it at the discount.) Everytime a new mini catalog comes out, or I see cards on this website I feel like I "have to have it", and I justify buying it with the discount. I am doing pretty well with the business - so it is definately supporting my habit! Phew!

I was hesitant of signing up as I had a lot of non-stampin up stamps and loved shopping at a few stamp stores. I didn't want to give them up. However, once I got hooked on Stampin' Up! I have no need to walk into any other stores, and I have sold most of my old stamps. (Of course to buy new ones.)

So - if you do decide - I don't think you will regret it. It is a fabulous company and I have made wonderful friends where we all have the same passion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would say my downside is I have lots of tools and stamps from before I was a demo and they never get used. I don't like doing double work so anything I do that I can also use in my business, saves me time. I'm a SAHM of a 3.5 year old and time seems to slip away quickly.

An example would be the H2O's that everyone is wild about. I love them but I'm not going to buy them unless they come out in next year's SU! catty. It's too much $ to spend and then not be able to use at my shows. Plus, if they do come out, I want my dollars to work for me. I'll not only get my 20% discount but my own purchase will count towards my sales quota.

So, I've sold off some of my older stamps that I've duplicated with SU! stamps. The rest are just too special to me to sell, so I'll use them in my personal cards. Although, I do have a special customer that uses them sometimes so it's not a total waste. She understands.

Other than that, I love it. Mine is not a huge business, but just this quarter I've picked up about 4 new customers and it's cruisin' along nicely!

The one nice thing about being a SU! demonstrator is I can put into the business what I want too. Other than the $300 a quarter, there are no other requirements.

I think some of the restrictions that were mentioned earlier might have to do with selling stuff that you've made. We can sell our cards but only at temporary events such as craft fairs and bazaars or to individuals. And you have to treat it as a separate business than your demonstratorship. Selling to stores or on the internet is not allowed. I tried selling my own cards once and it did not turn out well so it's not much of a loss for me.

HTH,

Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Wendy:

several things to consider as downsides...

1. Time constraints. Balancing life and family and work and and and....

2. Stamping for fun takes a back-burner to work...it is hard to separate the two and stamping can gasp! become tedious! :shock:

3. Sharing your stuff with a bunch of people who just don't take care of it. Examples are playing pass the stamp on the OPEN BASIC BLACK INK PAD and Brilliant Blue in the middle of you pristine Barely Banana ink (the thought makes me sick).

4. Disturbing demos.

5. Demo saturation in your area.

6. Hideous, unexplainable swaps. I just don't get it.

7. Nightmare customers who want something for nothing (we really can get taken advantage of!)

But the good far outweighs the bad...GO FOR IT and have fun!!! Just don't forget to:

1. set aside personal time to stamp for your self
2. only demo with ONE color of ink, never with a light and a dark, you will regret it!
3. only swap with people you KNOW, that know the swap rules and adhere to them.
4. set your boundries right from the beginning...don't give away the baby with the bathwater so to speak
5. talk to your significant other about the time you are going to be putting into this and make sure you really can fit it all in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Downsides but not really...

I don't like to use anything but SU. I am a full fledged SU addict. I will not buy prismacolors even thought they are beautiful. I will not buy Twinkling H2O's either.

Meeting minimums is a breeze now. But it wasn't at first. That isn't any different than any other DS Co.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me the biggest downside is filling out the Schedule C at tax time. And truthfully, even that is not hard.

A lot of things mentioned in other posts as downsides are very manageable, For example, being disappointed in swaps. This has only happened to me at convention. Yes, I've gotten some duds, we all have. But we were all new once too. If you are particular, you can manage it by not swapping or only swapping with known people as another poster said. Swaps are not mandatory so just don't swap if its a downside to you. At convention they have THOUSANDS of great card examples -- take a digital camera and do virtual swapping from the display boards.

The bit about restrictions on selling cards in fixed retail locations -- applies to everybody, not just demos, so it isn't a downside specifically of becoming a demo.

I still use my non-SU stuff for personal use, although as I got more knowledgeable about quality, I didn't like it anymore (especially the inks & cardstock). I gave a lot away to my sister.

In terms of minimums, in 3 years I've only had 2 quarters where I had to make up the difference. But I was spending lots anyway before I became a demo!! So if 90% of the time the demo-ship supports my habit, then for 10% having to chip in seems a pretty good deal. Look at it that way and you'll have minimum stress.

I have made so many friends and unleashed creativity -- not to mention convention and regional fun -- and the ability to build an awesome stamp collection at minimal personal cost -- I have absolutely no regrets about signing up. And, this from someone who would never even host a Tupperware party!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #10  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

hmmmm I love being a demo... haven't found a downside yet, other than I always want to order something!!!! I am only basically a hobby demo with 1 quarterly show booked!! I have 3 people that definitely will be booking parties from me every year for the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters so I just need to find someone for 1 more quarter and there is no stress about it. I am so glad I am a demo because it's fun!! I am not stressed a bit
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Since time is at a serious premium in my household, it seems the only thing I stamp are my samples......on the other hand, at least that gets me stamping! I agree with the others about the money and all the new product we would love to have (that's not SU) but when I only get to stamp for camps etc. it would be a waste for me to buy all the fun new stuff until/unless in the catty......maybe when I'm old and gray

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Right now the biggest downside for me is that I don't have much time to stamp for just for fun. I stamp out of necessity and if I am sitting down to create something it's for a workshop or by request of a customer.

I also think for every one downside there is to being a demo there's at least two positives!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Can't think of any MAJOR downsides or negative, the only thing that comes to my mind is self-inflicted, because I have this thought that as a s demo I DO NOT WANT to PURCHASE cards already made from card shops, etc. to send all of my friends and only want to send them HANDMADE cards for holidays, thanks you, etc. but there is not always time to do that, and now I'm getting behind in sending notes out to people I care about thinking I need it to be special or handmade. (Of course even before I was a demo, I would have preferred Homemade to store-purchased, but then I didn't feel like I had to!) I don't care for any mass produced cards at all anymore.....sure wish all my friends felt that way when they send cards to me, tee hee....

And as the saying goes, you can NOT have success if you are only think about the failure....we must see the success in order to have it.

Stampin UP is more than a JOB, it's like an extended family and a great place to have a zillion kin-folk who share your same habit!

Good luck making your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by busystampinjen
The one big negative I have found is I want to buy everything. (The good news is I do get it at the discount.) Everytime a new mini catalog comes out, or I see cards on this website I feel like I "have to have it", and I justify buying it with the discount. I am doing pretty well with the business - so it is definately supporting my habit! Phew!

ditto!! I spend far too much because I think that I have to have it all.

I have many people who want to come to my camps, but don't want to buy anything. So instead of a camp or stampastack being a place for inspiration for them, it's their chance to come, stamp, and go without having to buy anything.

Family constraits keep me from "working". My kids are still little and so I don't have the time available to put much into the business side.

When I'm doing "business" stamping, personal stamping just doesn't happen. I go through times where I try to put more into the business side, but chances are that I will miss a birthday or fail to send someone a card who really needs a pick-me-up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

[quote="Jenny K"]
Quote:

I have many people who want to come to my camps, but don't want to buy anything. So instead of a camp or stampastack being a place for inspiration for them, it's their chance to come, stamp, and go without having to buy anything.

I don't understand what you mean here. Are you saying this is the negative thing? Do you charge for your stampcamps and if so, does the charge really just cover your materials for the stampcamp and you are hoping people will buy stuff so you can actually make money and they do not?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

[quote="Jenny K"]
Quote:

I don't understand what you mean here. Are you saying this is the negative thing? Do you charge for your stampcamps and if so, does the charge really just cover your materials for the stampcamp and you are hoping people will buy stuff so you can actually make money and they do not?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Positives and negatives all depend on your reasons for becoming a demonstrator in the first place.

What are you expecting to get out of it?

Every "job" I know of, has pluses and negatives, but it's all a matter of your perspective . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Default What's the downside of demohood?

I've been a demo for 5.5 years and the only thing that held me back was me!
I use to think the quarterly minimums were hard to reach, but once I shared my passion and really shared myself it hasn't been a problem.
I join in swaps every now and then and get a variety of artwork to show off and learn how to teach it to others too.
There is only a downside to being a demo if you let it happen.
You will have to learn to balance your family life with work and stamping, but that's true of anything you might have a passion for.
My friend and customer is a CM consultant and she has a passion for scrapbooking....she also is a SAHM and runs a daycare. I run a daycare through the summer months and work in an elementary school during the rest of the year. I had to figure out how to schedule my time so I wasn't leaving anyone in the family out in the cold. It wasn't hard to find out how to do it all once I talked it over with my family. I said that I needed a little time and space to follow my passion for stamping just as they all needed time for themselves, music, work, etc....
If you learn to schedule it in just like anything else there really isn't a downside to it.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Group Leader

Downsides? :shock: Are you kidding? :shock: I haven't found any of those yet! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

The only downside I've found is trying to come up with the M&T's. Sometimes it's stressful for me to figure out what to do, what projects, what colors etc.. I so enjoyed just being a customer & going to partys & just playing and not being the one to come up with all the ideas!! But it's great to have the wonderful gallery here to look up projects!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

well, i'm a new demo so take my thoughts with a grain of salt!

downside #1, i have a lot of non-su stuff that i can't use. so some of the things i'm getting are duplicates of what i already have--just now their su versus whatever other brand i've been using. this sorta stinks on some of my purchases--the heat gun, crafters tool kit, etc. that's a lot of money to shell out when i already have the supplies from elsewhere. not to mention all the other stamps i have but can't really use.

downside #2, i want everything in the catty and it is soooo tempting to justify getting it because of the discount. i really have to work to create a budget and actually stick with it.

downside #3, if you aren't careful, the business end can take on a life of its own. for some, this isn't a downside at all. but i signed up to be a hobby demo--and have trouble saying "no" when people ask me to do something because i don't like to pass up any opportunity. this isn't always a bad thing, i get a little extra cash and have met some nice people. but if you have a family (i don't) then you have to evaluate your priorities and fit your business in accordingly--that may mean making yourself pass up some really great opportunities in order to keep your life balanced.

then there is the customer service thing--this has good and bad points. sometimes you have to be nice to people you normally wouldn't associate with, for some of us that is a real challenge. what are you going to do when someone you can't stand shows up at your open house? or you show up at a workshop to find that one of the guests is your husband's ex-wife who has been making your personal life miserable for months? or the guest who won't stop talking about how great *whatever* from *whoever* is and is so much nicer/cheaper than su?

but don't let the negatives sway you more than the postives! i'm really enjoying being a demo. and for every downside i've listed, i could list twice as many positives--it's just a matter of prioritizing what you want out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I spend waaaay more money than I planned, and now my supplies are taking over my house! I live in overseas military housing and it's making me crazy -- I am so jealous when I hear about people with special craft rooms. My DH promised when we move back to the States this summer I could have a craft room of my own -- I'm sure he's sick of it as well.

And I know what everyone means about not really wanting to spend money on non-catalog items. It's not as much fun to buy something amazing if you can't share it at your workshops. I have been buying stamps at the off-base stores -- the Japanese have some great stuff -- but it just sits in a drawer unused because I can't keep up with my other samples. One of my best friends is a recruit and hobby stamper and she thinks I'm an SU snob, but it's just that I can't see the point of buying something that I will never use.

Oh, and I am so putting off the taxes! Last year my DH and I did them together (I normally take them to the tax preparer myself) and I had to tell him how much I'd spent! :oops: Luckily he is very supportive. I guess it's cheaper than therapy. He did drag me halfway around the world for this assigment!

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

opps sorry double post

Ideas that I've had time to put to paper & post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy nagel
The only downside I've found is trying to come up with the M&T's. Sometimes it's stressful for me to figure out what to do, what projects, what colors etc.. I so enjoyed just being a customer & going to partys & just playing and not being the one to come up with all the ideas!! But it's great to have the wonderful gallery here to look up projects!!
When I'm planning a workshop I always seem to start out thinking "What am I going to show these gals?" and about half way through the process I have to cut out a project or two because there is always such great stuff to show. (the workshop would be too long if I included it all) Especially with the ideas from this site. Even though I've got a core of customers that are seasoned stampers I'm still able to show them things they've never seen before.
Am also a hobby demo that only plans about 4 workshops a year, though I get asked to do more than that (and ususally have a ball doing so) it is still fun to share something you love and to see peoples faces light up when they see that they can do it and get the same great looking results.
Go for it and enjoy the benefits! Be sure to get the family on board though, don't think I'd attempt it without their support. Let us know what you decide.

Ideas that I've had time to put to paper & post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

The one downside I can think of right now is that I don't get an order delivered everyday!
I also have to say, I have to be more organized than I am used to being. Planning workshops and make & takes in advance and making sure I have cardstocek and supplies on hand for the workshops.
I did have to find a larger shelf for all my stamp sets, but I don't consider this a major downside.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I guess for me the downside is that I'm still a new demo, so I'm still operating at a loss! I'm trying to build up my working inventory so I can demo all of the great products SU has to offer. So, even though I use my discount, I'm still spending more on getting workshop supplies and sets from both the Idea Book and each mini catty than I am earning from the actual workshop. At least I can operate at a loss for 3 years straight before the IRS comes to audit me! HAHAHA :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default downside of being a demo

I have found the downside of being a demo to be the following:

Flakey people who don't show up at the last minute to your workshops :(

People ruining your ink pads and acting like they don't know how it happened

Accumulating stamp sets and not having enough time to play with them :lol:

Other than that if you sign up Stampin' Up is a lot of fun, and worth the while as a hobby.

Good luck,

Ana ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Luckily from the day I signed up I've never had a problem making minimums. I've always been way over minimum.

This actually surprised me. When I started I thought this would be a problem.

For me, the downside is that I'm so busy. It keeps me busy ALL THE TIME when I'm not at my real job. You have to be good at managing your time.

If you are not a good time manager you will not be happy doing it. You have to maintain a balance and not burn yourself out because then you will lose the fun creative aspect of it.

To prevent this from happening I always schedule in "free creative stamp time" for myself... just stamping for ME.

Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

I've been a demo for almost a year now. And I never thought making the $300 a quarter was too bad. I just needed to find someone who usually spent $50 a month at a craft store and add it to my spending!

Also I started doing classes in my home right away and that always motivated me to learn a new technique and not get lazy with my stamping! Plus the money I earned with that went toward my minimums.

Downside, well you can't blame people not coming or not showing, because that happens, I figure if there are 2 of us there - then it is a party either way! I am having fun crafting and talking without the kids - so it is a girls night out any way!

But it is the changing an order after it is placed... that is difficult because you are always walking a fine line of policy that it really is theirs that they bought *after the 3 day waiting period* and that you are usually linked to this person through other customers so you want to be flexible... Luckily that has been minimal for me.

And I do use some non-su things at my class in my home - but not too much - but I figure if we are adding staples and stamping tiles and so on, then adding a charm or too is a-ok!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can tell you an upside...SU just announced that they are offering $30 off the starter kit if you sign up in April...That in itself is worth it, even if you find you can't stick with it. I haven't been a demo that long, but I know a few people who are so into stamping what's hard for me is to find something that they haven't done to WOW them...but otherwise, I can't think of anything else...HTH good luck whatever you do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I too have been thinking about signing up as a demo, but I have 3 friends that are great demos. I don't know who to sign up under. I guess the one that asked me first?
Also, I hear you all talking about the discount, but no one has said what it actually is - 10%? 20%? 30%? 40%? do I dare - 50%? Do tell.
kk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's a minimum 20% discount, higher with volume rebates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

This has all been really, really helpful. Thanks to all for taking the time to write really thoughtful replies.

I didn't mean to be "negative" in any way; I just wanted to know what I would be getting myself into. I worry most about finding customers, and as I said about making what has been fun so far into another stress in my life! With a full-time job already, I don't want less time for my 5-yr-old.

What I most wanted to get out of it was to save a little money (although I can definitely see myself buying more because of the discount), meet new people and improve my skills.

I haven't made a decision yet (it's great to know about the discount in April) but I guess I'm leaning toward staying a customer for now. I have the "I wish I'd signed up sooner" refrain ringing in my ears though. :lol:

I'll still be looking for more feedback if anyone else wants to weigh in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Default what downside?

I agree with the other demos that question what "downsides" there are. I guess for me, I feel like I get more for my money as a demo. I was concerned about meeting the quarterly minimum too, but it has turned out to be a breeze for me. I always break it down like this and it seems even less challenging....

quarterly minimum is $300
that's $100 in sales per month
which acutally equates to $80 a month if you buy it yourself!
If your sales are higher, you get the volume rebate too... not to mention Great Rewards (free stuff from SU!), free stamps, plus the opportunity to buy stamps before anyone else..

I say, sign up and see how it goes. It really doesn't take much to meet the requirements!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your reasons for becoming a demo?

If you want to support your hobby, then I can see meeting the minimums being a challenge sometimes.

If you are looking for a rewarding career -- even if only part-time -- then this is a great company.

I have been a demo for one year and have treated it as a career, and I love it! I was looking for what I wanted to do with my life and this really fits me! I do have to set goals, and I spend about 2 hours a day making phone calls, emails, deliveries etc, but I don't feel like I'm working. I love it! Add to that about 2 workshops a week including my home classes etc. I prep for my workshops once a month for the most part. That has really cut down on time, too.

The rest of my time is spent juggling family, housekeeping and life! One downside is the fact that some people can only be reached at night and I hate calling people in the evenings! That can be tough. I feel like I am bothering people. Necessary evil I guess.

After a year, I finally don't feel the need to own everything in the catalog. I keep my workshops really simple with simple projects and I only need to come up with something fancy once a month for a techniques class for my regulars. When you think of it like that, you don't have to buy everything at once. Just make a supplies purchase month by month.

I hope this helps you!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 07:14 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Laycock
You have to be good at managing your time.

If you are not a good time manager you will not be happy doing it. You have to maintain a balance and not burn yourself out because then you will lose the fun creative aspect of it.

To prevent this from happening I always schedule in "free creative stamp time" for myself... just stamping for ME.

Very smart of you, Michelle! I need to do that for ME, too! It has been a long time since I stamped something purely for the joy of creating a special gift or card for someone specific in my life? And, I need to manage my time better so that I can do that more regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:10 AM   #37  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

A response to the "wish I had signed up sooner" refrain is to know that you can substitute the stamps/inks/paper SU suggests for the starter kit for whatever you want!

I'm a new demo, who signed up after having just one party, so for me it has been great. Most of my customers are also my friends who are passionate about stamping, so that makes the adventure all the more fun! So far, meeting minimums hasn't been a problem...and getting FREE stamps in the mail is awesome!

Terri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:26 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

There are SO many positives, and I'm thrilled to be a demo, even if I'm not making any money doing it - yet! <g>

I do get somewhat stressed out trying to plan my Stamp Camps - haven't done any out-of-the-house workshops yet. I've had 1 Open House and 5 Stamp Camps. I want to showcase any sale or mini-catty stamp sets, and lots of accessories. My customers are all newbie stampers, and it's SO fun to teach them how to *play* and how to stamp! But it is stressful figuring out which projects will be best.

The other downside is that my non-SU stamps are very neglected (I have quite a few Hero Arts stamps and those are my favorites after SU) - I joined SU to get the discount, and have loved taking it farther with my Stamp Camps, but I feel like when I stamp, I want to stamp something I can show my customers, so I very rarely use my Hero Arts stamps. I love their sentiments and would love to use those!!

I very rarely go to Joann's and Michael's anymore, and don't feel the urgent need to spend that coupon. I have most of the stuff from there that I need, and I'd rather buy stuff from myself to get the discount and boost my sales.

I very rarely buy stamps that aren't SU - I didn't understand that when I first heard that here on SCS and 2Peas. Now I understand it! I did buy those gorgeous ribbon stamps, though!!

I'm SO glad I became a demo and I think that if you're thinking about it, you should DO it! Nothing to lose, really, and SO much to gain! If you decide you don't like it, you can become inactive, but in the meantime you can get some great stuff for yourself! But don't box yourself into thinking that you won't do any workshops - won't be anything but a hobby demo. I thought that - until I had an Open House and made some new friends who LOVE to stamp - it's SO much fun to be the person that introduces this wonderful hobby to these wonderful gals!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 09:03 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: downside of being a demo

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicychickie
People ruining your ink pads and acting like they don't know how it happened

Ana ')
Ha! I WISH I didn't know what you were talking about

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

You know everything has a downside. I love being a demo and yes there are things that frustrate me sometimes but so do the kids all 7 of them and my husband who can't seem to remember my birthday (for which he pays dearly :lol: ). I could give you a hundred reasons not to be a demo and a million why you should.
SCS member #9233/ SU Demo
My Wee Blog: kats' kreations
Reply With Quote Likes