Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2005, 11:59 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing cardstock is no small thing

I just spent the last two hours going through all of my cardstock and trying to get it organized. I got into a terrible habit of throwing it in this bin or that bin and letting it all get mixed up and not organizing my scraps etc...

Tonight I decided to end the madness and get it under control. What a sense of accomplishment, but boy am I wiped out. I discovered what colors I don't have and what I'm low on...that's a good thing. I still have a lot of scraps left to go through but will tackle that another day.

Anyone else let the cardstock get all out of wack too? It's hard to keep the scraps organized.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

My scraps were taking over and I was not using them at all. But one day I spent some time going thru them and I use them now. I think I save myself money now that I use my scraps instead of justing having a very large pile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

All my cardstock is organized in file folders by color and then hanging in my desk drawer. But my scraps are another story. I have some that are stashed in the same folder as their own color and then MOST of them are just tossed into another drawer all willy-nilly. Everyday I look at it I KNOW I have to tackle it and organize it somehow, but the task looks WAY TOO BIG!!!!! I'm planning on separating all my scraps by color and then putting them into quart sized storage bags so I can store them in the back of each folder, color by color. Just not too sure when I'll get to that!!!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 AM   #4  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes, I finally figured out something that works for me without being overly organized.

I have a little plastic tray that I toss scraps at. If it's 1/4 sheet or more, it goes back with the CS pack. If not, I toss it into this plastic tray.

Once the plastic tray starts getting full, or I feel like it, I sort these scraps.

I use sheet protectors. What I finally did was toss all "reds" into one sheet protector, "pinks" into another, "yellows" "blues" "greens" then I had to get one for vellums, mulberry, silver, ... you get the idea. So far it works.

Sometimes I pull all the strips of a color (e.g. all reds), and then make a card with a strips background, sometimes just vertical, sometimes weave t hem. You can do neat things if you work at it when you really want to dump some scraps. LOL. I did that for St. Pat's day with my greens.

I stand the sheet protectors up in magazine files.

Oh I had to stop sorting the whites this way (geez, sounds like laundry!) because there were too many.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 02:50 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I bought 9x12 zip bags and have one for each color paper I have. I have 3 Iris plastic drawers and each drawer has six different color bags in it, with labels on the front of the drawers.

I take out the bag when I'm using that color, and return any scraps to the bag before putting it away. I used to not do this, but there were bits and peices of cs everywhere and I usually ended up throowing some of it out. Ugh!

In retrospect, I would have bought 10x13 bags.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:01 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 5 plastic shoeboxes for my scraps -- one for each color family and one for neutrals/specialty. I used a label maker to label each bin on the edge of the lid so I can tell at a glance which one I need. They stack nicely next to my desk -- and I feel like I'm being MUCH more efficient with my paper use now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #7  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have my scraps in the file folders with the regular cardstock. I usually take a scrap first then go from there. I was using the scraps and punching out shapes with the paper piecing punch. Good use for scraps and the kids love the paper that is left after I punch them out
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:36 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

For the first time ever, I have finally started using my scraps!
They were really starting to take over my life - so I got five of the extra-thick manila folders that are enclosed on the sides, and filled up one folder for each color family, plus one for neutrals. I've got TONS of scraps of all sizes, and never use them.
BUT - having almost ALL my paper in storage getting ready to move, I decided to stamp away the rainy weekend. Lo and behold - my scrap box!! I haven't packed that yet!!
I've made some cute cards - and used up a few of my scraps! Halleluia!!!
Gretchen in SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:52 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have all my paper in hanging folders, one for each color, and in a wire hanging folder cart. I also keep a ziplock bag in each folder for any scraps. It works very well and i dont seem to have too many scraps yet and I have been stamping for a long long time. Some of you sound like you have a lot. I always seem to be challenged to try to do a card without many scraps leftover. It is the ole "dont waste paper syndrome" and I have it bad. I do make quite a few cards but i dont make a lot of singles so maybe that is why. Interesting topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, and I meant to say, lots of excellent ideas for storing those scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:14 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I have my full sheets of cardstock in hanging files in two Rubbermaid plastic file boxes - one folder for each color. Then I have 1/4 sheets cut and organized by color family in one of those photo boxes. The dividers in there have those Post-It flags sticking up to label the color family (and white, vanilla, glossy and vellum). Behind each divider, I have about 8 1/4 sheets of each color (more of US white, my most-used cardstock). Within the color family, I can easily tell the colors.

This photo box is sitting within reach (whereas my file boxes are a few steps away) and I *love* having these 1/4 sheets cut and ready to go. I'm a demo, so I use mostly 1/4 sheets as I make mostly card fronts. You could also cut 1/2 sheets and put them in the photo box sideways and be all ready to create a whole card in any color that way!

As for scraps, right now, they're just tossed into a Sterilite container. I don't keep the 1/4" wide strips anymore. <g> This container sits right by my photo box with the 1/4 sheets, so when I need a smaller than 1/4 sheet piece, I look in there first. I do use quite a few of my scraps as I check there first.

Hope this helps someone - the photo box is such a HUGE time and step-saver for me!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:28 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I had the same problem with my scraps, I had a large box just full of scraps and would have to dig through it all for a certain color, what a chore. Finally, it took all my willpower, I sat down and went through the box and sorted each color group into expandable file folders. Within the file folder, which is divided into 13 different files, a spot for each color of that color family. I have marked the outside of each one with what group color it contains. I have all the file holders sitting inside the box that the scraps had been in, sitting right next to the paper sheets. So it is very handy, I just take a folder out and pick out the scraps of each color I will use. Small pieces of each color are in an envelope within each individual file.
The expandable file folders I use are half size and I got them on sale at Walgreens, 2 for $3.00, so it cost me a total of $7.50 for 5 of them. One is for the white and speciality colors.
It is so easy now, I cannot believe I finally did it and it has saved money, I utilize every piece of scrap that is possible. I should have done this years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:47 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have all my cs stored in hanging file folders...one color in each labeled folder and then organized in color families. This sits to the right of my stamp station (I'm right handed) on an old trunk that isn't used anymore...just the perfect height!

For my scraps, I put them back in the front of the folder with the cs and then I know exactly what I have and if a scrap will work for size before I have to cut up a WHOLE piece of cs!! CS is so pretty when it's a full sheet, I almost hate to cut it!!

Sara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:02 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I make my own paper, and I use scraps of colored cardstock to add to my pulp...great fun and it coordinates with SU cardstock, adds texture!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:09 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy Peplau
I make my own paper, and I use scraps of colored cardstock to add to my pulp...great fun and it coordinates with SU cardstock, adds texture!
This is my goal too...I bought a blender at a garage sale (another passion) and am saving all my scraps...would you share your recipe and other tips you have for making your own paper...thanks Rebecca

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy Peplau
Oh My! Excellent idea Nancy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I have all of my 8 1/2x11 SU cardstock in stackable trays on my desk. Each color is in it's own manilla folder which is labeled. Then in a hanging file folder I keep my scraps in manilla folders, again labeled with each color. When I make a card or project, I go to the scap color first to see if I have a sheet big enough for what I need. I whole-heartedly believe that if you use SU, keeping each color separated will make your life so much easier....I never have to sift through a stack of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:25 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I never heard of making your own paper, how do you do that? What a great idea. Is it a lot of work? What do you need? How do you make it match SU's paper colors?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:28 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Papyrus hand made paper making kit...I bought it quite some time ago, but there is no web-site or address on the box or paperwork, all it says is made in Korea....the directions are for using the pulp that came with the kit....but....I soak paper overnight...whiz it in the blender....set the deckle....pour my pulp into the deckle and even it out...drain vat...place screen....remove moisture by preasure....peel upper screen then lower screen...dry......it's so much fun! I add flecks of paper, dried flowers, grasses, fibers...I have even added pieces of my goats white hair and small feathers from my chickens.....I even threaten to use the dust bunnies in my house but they take me serious and hide way under my bed!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:36 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default scraps

I have finally figured out the way to organize and use my scraps. I BOUGHT a Sizzix... Use my scraps all the time now die cutting letters, ets.. I have a small metal office organizer thing (bought at a garage sale) in front of the sizzix area. It has 14 slots in it - sized for paper that is about 1/4 of a full sheet... Any paper smaller than that goes into it appropriate color slot and when I'm die cutting I use that paper...
I've been explaining to my husband that the solution to the paper storage issue is really quite simple. I need more die cuts.

CatskillStamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:42 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Sometimes I try to make a card, using only scraps. Its a challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:55 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What a timely topic for me! I keep my cardstock in hanging files in a small file cabinet all wonderfully labeled by color. Scraps are another story! I started out with 1 small box...that grew into 3 boxes with all the scraps just thrown in them. Not being a very patient person and often being in a hurry when I stamp, I would always check the scraps first, but when a color was not readily found I would just get out another full sheet.

Just last night I got all the scraps and started sorting them by colors. Currently I have piles of reds/pinks, yellows/orange, blues, greens, purples, neutrals. Next step will be to sort them by individual color. Then I've got to figure how to store them and keep them organized. I love hearing everyone's ideas. I've got to do something that will be quick and simple, otherwise I know I'll never keep it up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 06:33 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Default cardstock organizing

I just became a new demo. In the past, I have not purchased SU cardstock. I figured I could buy cardstock anyway...I wanted to use my money for SU stamps! So I have a TON of non-SU cardstock (almost literally!) But now, I also have my 3 new pkgs. of SU cardstock. So I need to keep my SU cs separate (right?). What a pain! Of course, I will still use my non-SU cs, but not when I demo. I loved all the ideas for organizing your scraps and I am going to get busy on that. It's a little overwhelming right now...I have my first workshop tomorrow night and I don't feel ready at all! I've been sick with a bad cold for 4 days, so I haven't gotten much accomplished. I know it will be fun, but I'm beginning to freak out. Thanks to all of you, I have gotten some really wonderful ideas for cards using the March Forward sets. You guys are so creative!! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 06:35 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Default organizing cardstock

Oops - that's what I get for not proofreading! I meant, "I figured I could buy cardstock anyWHERE." I'm sure you guys all knew what I meant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:57 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default organizing cardstock

Hi! I just organized all of my scraps! I divided everything into their color family and put them in page protectors. This way I can easily see what color they are and since they open at the top, I can just drop the scraps from the project I'm working on into the correct protector. And since it is just like a big pocket, the scraps can't escape out the sides. I then put the protectors in a stand up magazine holder on the floor next to my worktable so its convenient. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it will work. I can't wait to finish "cleaning up" so I can try it out!

P.S. This is my first post, I hope it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:15 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

When SU came out with the divided plastic containers for alphabet stamp sets, I jumped at the chance to purchase them for all of my alpha sets. So I now use the old plastic containers to hold all of my scraps organized by color family that are 1/4 sheet or smaller. It is stackable and see-thru so it is quick to find color of choice. Now I find myself using my scraps first before slicing up a beloved full sheet of paper! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Default cardstock

Good morning!! I'll be a new demo as of tomorrow and I've already started organizing since I'm sharing my stamps with my quilting room. I went to Walmart yesterday, they have all kinds of plastic bins on sale for a $1+. I'm keeping my cardstock in these bins with file folders, marked and stamped with the color. I'm going to put the scraps in a folder behine the full sheets to keep the colors together. Hopefully this will work, because I can't afford to get a messy room....it will drive me nutts!!
I'm planning to have a bin for each color group...hope this helps...
I'd appreciate any ideas to come my way too.....
Hugs!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:03 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't know we could order the divided plastic containers to use with the alphabet sets. I got one with my alphahearts and the flexible phrases. How can we order the containers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to put all of my scraps into a big Ziploc bags. I didn't use them much because it was a lot of trouble digging through the stack in the hope to find the right colours. So I divided them by colours in separate ziploc bags and I'm much more efficient at using scraps now! Gotta agree with those who previously said that you save a lot of money when you find a way to manage your scraps. One sheet of paper can go a long way!

My demo organized her paper and scrap in file folders that she keeps on her desk. I'd use her method if I had enough space to do so.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I am having trouble deciding how to separate my paper - I originally thought that I would use files to sort them and put them into one of the plastic file bins – that way it would be easy to move from one place to another as I work on projects. I was worried that it would bend the edges of my cardstock – does anyone find this to be a problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #31  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,035 Likes on 476 Posts

Three words for you: Target Dollar Spot!!

They had those check-size Expanding File Folders there. I got four of them, because I had ALL my scraps in one of those which was too big to close any more. I just had greens together, blues, etc. But these come with write-on labels, and have 13 pockets. I got one for each color family, and will put Ultrasmooth white and confetti white in one "extra" slot, US Vanilla and confett Cream in another, vellum in a third, etc, to make room for my scraps that are other than the 48 colors.

If a scrap is card front sized or larger, it goes in my regular files of paper which are in the filing cabinet. My four expanding files fit nicely on a shelf and I love just being able to reach for them!

HTH
Debbi
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I have been a SU demo for 7 years and have tons of scraps the best thing I ever did was go to the office supply store by a large container for hanging files, I have it all organized according to color (one file for each color) and I keep this under my stamping area and have actually used it and keep all of my scraps organized with it!!!!

nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

The table in my stamp room was overflowing with all sorts of scraps of cs, other papers, full sheets, etc

It took HOURS but I ended up getting all the cs sorted into separate file folders in my file cabinet, arranged by color family and alphabetically in the color family.

I have two of the plastic 3 drawer storage containers on my desk. They hold an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet, so if I only cut 2 inches off, it still fits. I have that organized by color family, whites, other neutrals, and specialty (designer series, vellum, mulberry, etc)

Honestly sorting my scraps has saved my butt more than once....I have a tendency to...well, not get around to preparing for my workshops :oops: but luckily I've always had my scraps there to back me up and it was never a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:14 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

The divided plastic containers are on the supply list. I believe they come in a set of 6. I love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two Cropper Hopper workstations (both purchased with 50% off coupons at Michael's). Thought I'd get by with one, but changed my mind as the cardstock multiplied.

In my Cropper Hoppers, I have a hanging folder for each color. Inside each hanging folder are two manila folders. The front one is scraps, the back one is full (or half) sheets. Since both the scraps and the full sheets are in the same hanging folder, it's really easy for me to check the front folder first when reaching for a color.

I'm so thankful for this site, because I never would have organized it this way if I hadn't read so many people's ideas and suggestions first. I'm a clutterer by nature, so I have to work hard to stay on top of things like this.

Chris

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

At one time I found my scraps becomining so overwhelming that on a card nite that I had with some friends I brought them out and had them go at it with their imaginagtions. Got rid of alot of scraps that night. Well needless to say it's almost that time again, but I have started using my scraps more since then from the ideas we all shared that night. So try my idea and have a girlie card nite and make it a scrap night and see what everyone comes up with.
Julia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

My sister is a big cheapskate and uses all my scraps. My upline keeps them in a bin and then lets customers go thru them. I may do that at my next scrap day. All my paper is in those wire cubes from Target and is always organized.
Reply With Quote Likes