Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2005, 08:38 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Cardstock

Anyone else having problems with the cardstock? It just doesn't want to fold. What on earth is wrong?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #2  
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!

I thought it was just me...I have a non-SU! bone folder, so I thought that may be it...but it's only happening with one of my color familes...either SS or BB! Now I know it may not be just me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I got a bad batch of ballet blue......it shredded along the fold of the card! How weird.......ive never had this happen before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default bad cardstock

I have some customers that have experienced shredding at the fold line.
And it has been with the BB and SS paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I had horrible folding problems with Real Red while doing my Christmas cards, and a friend had the same shredding/fraying problems with Green Galore!

There was a long thread about this very topic just a short while back. Seems a lot of us are having these cardstock problems.

My friend with the Green Galore cardstock contacted SU and they said it wasn't considered a defect. Our demo said to use the paper for layering (that's a lot of layers!).

Hopefully this problem will be worked out because I love SU cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Default cardstock

That makes me feel soooo much better to know it is not just me. It won't fold nicely no matter what. I tried scoring, bone folder and neither helped. This is the first time I've ever had paper do this. I thought it seemed heavier maybe. I ordered the whole package of BB too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I remember that thread and a gal saying that it was the "grain" of the paper or something like that. If I have a fold that I don't like the looks of, I just fold it again so the inside becomes the outside. I've also gotten a nice clean edge that way.

I also remember Carol Duvall saying that you should score first, then fold and burnish with a bone folder. ?? Seems like a lot of work to me - I like shortcuts and timesavers myself.

shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Some of my folds were so horrible that I had to cut them down to be layers - but 3 packs of red makes a lot of red layers - ha! :shock:

When I could get it to fold, it created a frayed effect - not what I was looking for. I tried sanding the fold with a sanding block but it seemed to make the paper too thin (I was afraid it would tear), and the block turned red!

Based on some of the responses that were sent in the other thread about this, I think it's hard for people who haven't experienced it to understand how frustrating it really is. Or understanding what the problems really are - it's not just a matter of using a bone folder, cutting in the right direction, etc.

Even experienced SU cardstock users are having these problems! I wish there was a simple solution like so many people suggest, but so far I haven't found one that works.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I am having the same problems. My "demo kit" came with crappy cardstock. I talked to stampin up when they called to welcome me and they said it is a "supplier" issue and they are working on it but ya know we could all send it back and wait for a replacement but then we would have no cardstock. As long as we all make them aware of it maybe they will get something done soon about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #10  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

my cardstock hasn't been folding right either lately... I just deal with it for now but hope they get the problem fixed soon
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:38 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Add me to the list of problems w/ folding Real Red cardstock :( I thought it was me so I'm glad to see its not. Some of my other SU papers have given me a hard time but off the top of my head I don't remember which ones they were.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:57 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncandawwg
I got a bad batch of ballet blue......it shredded along the fold of the card! How weird.......ive never had this happen before!
The grain is in the opposite direction. One direction is called "grain long" and one is "grain short". The grain direction effects folding.

When paper comes off a roll, it gets cut into whatever size it needs to be....in the direction it needs to be. It's likely that some paper will be one grain, and some another - just because of the way the cuts are done to get the mosyt number of sheets. I would think that SU would want the grain going in the direction that would be folded most - which would be the 11" direction - so I think that is grain long. Keep in mind that even if all SU paper were in this grain direction - and you made a fold in the opposite direction, you'd run into the same problem.

Did that make any sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:58 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellymayz
I also remember Carol Duvall saying that you should score first, then fold and burnish with a bone folder. ??
Scoring will eliminate the problem....extra work though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 03:02 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueyes63
Based on some of the responses that were sent in the other thread about this, I think it's hard for people who haven't experienced it to understand how frustrating it really is. Or understanding what the problems really are - it's not just a matter of using a bone folder, cutting in the right direction, etc.
It it just very likely that the cs you have is the opposite grain. While I do think that SU should have all of their stock in one direction - there are times when I do a larger card and then the direction would be wrong again.

Just out of curiosity - can one of you who are having the problem try folding that same piece in the opposite direction. If it fold better one wa than the other, it's the grain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

On the ballet blue i have...i scored and folded in both directions of the paper. Nothing worked......the paper is really thicker than usual. The only thing that worked ok was folding then turning it over and folding back the other way. Which is fine....but a pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I haven't had any trouble but I haven't bought any cs lately

I have had problems with US White fraying when I cut it. I was told it was my blades on my cutter, but my cutting blade is brand spanking new.

Someone else suggested I use a piece of copy paper between the cutter and the blade and it worked fine, but I didn't really feel like I should have to waste an extra piece of paper just to cut my cs.

jmo. Hope you get it figured out. Are you sure SU won't do anything about it??? Seems kinda weird since they're trying to regain confidence after all the shipping problems they had in the fall and during the holidays.

I think I'd call again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 08:27 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[quote="ny2nh"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by duncandawwg
The grain is in the opposite direction. One direction is called "grain long" and one is "grain short". The grain direction effects folding.

When paper comes off a roll, it gets cut into whatever size it needs to be....in the direction it needs to be. It's likely that some paper will be one grain, and some another - just because of the way the cuts are done to get the mosyt number of sheets. I would think that SU would want the grain going in the direction that would be folded most - which would be the 11" direction - so I think that is grain long. Keep in mind that even if all SU paper were in this grain direction - and you made a fold in the opposite direction, you'd run into the same problem.

Did that make any sense?
Perfect sense. Which is why I always score my cards, no matter which way the grain, to ensure the best, crisp fold.

Yes, it is an extra step, but it's one that tends to ensure a quality finish--I don't like it when I fold without scoring, and the paper "buckles" and this happens about anytime I fold card stock, regardless of brand, without pre-scoring first.

I'm as lazy as they come, as far as stampers go, BUT, I will take any extra step I feel I need to to make sure the end result has a quality finish/appearance to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #18  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have the stamping angel over my house-ni problems with fraying and I go through lots of cs.

Just lucky I guess.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Default cardstock

The BB that I got is so heavy, scoring doesn't solve the problem. I have some green and burgundy that are bad too, but the blue is the worst. It is not the texture-grain on this paper. It frays and breaks both ways. Since I am not a demo and don't feel bound to use SU exclusively I will probably buy somewhere else until I hear this is solved. I have never had paper even close to this bad before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

I have noticed folding problems too on some of the paper and the paper does seem thicker; just try to use a punch on it also. Usually after the first card I fold, if it is difficult, then I score the rest. I have a 6 inch square quilting ruler and it makes it easy to measure and score. Just an idea to work around some of these little aggravations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Can someone explain scoring to me? I fold my card stock in half matching up the ends than I use the bone folder. If I use the pointed end of the bone to make a line down the middle, how will I know it is actually in the middle? I am sure this is super easy but I just can't envision how to score. Maybe there is a link for the Carol D show that includes pictures?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping_jen
Can someone explain scoring to me? I fold my card stock in half matching up the ends than I use the bone folder. If I use the pointed end of the bone to make a line down the middle, how will I know it is actually in the middle? I am sure this is super easy but I just can't envision how to score. Maybe there is a link for the Carol D show that includes pictures?

After I cut the cardstock in 1/2 so that it is 8 1/2 x 5 1/2, I put it back in the cutter like I'm going to cut it again at the 4 1/4 mark only this time I run my scoring tool down the groove for the cutting blade. The tool slides down the groove in a straight line and it like pre-creases the paper. Then it will just fold over on the line you made. Nice and crisp fold! I use the stylus SU uses for dry embossing. That was the very first thing I every learned from my demo and my very first purchase!

Splitcoast member #803
My Gallery
Read my LATEST STORY on OurEcho.com
http://www.ourecho.com/biography-200...rie-Hyle.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I tried scoring my stubborn Real Red cardstock before folding it and it definitely folded better. That does not, however, eliminate the fraying problem.

I've been trying to think of how to describe what happens when I try to fold an 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" sheet into a 1/4 page card. This is what I've come up with. If someone else has a better way to describe it, please feel free to add your thoughts!

Have you ever taken a piece of cardstock and tried to crumple it into a ball? Or just crumpled it for that aged look? It's not like crumpling a plain piece of paper - it sort of fights you and folds where it can. Well, those all over the place creases are what I'm getting when I'm trying to fold certain colors of cardstock.

Does that make any sense? It's almost like it's too thick, dry, or something - can't put my finger on it but I don't think it's just grain related.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

My bliss blue that ordered back in January was really thick--I was doing announcements for my new nephew and it made no difference which way I folded it :( It kept "cracking" at the fold--nothing helped and I tried everything! all the other cardstock I have is fine, so I don't think this had anythign to do witht he grain, scoring, etc--believe me I tried EVERYTHING! :?

some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Great, I just bought 3 or 4 packs of paper. They aren't any of the colors y'all have mentioned so maybe I'll be okay. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, great!! I just restocked all my packages of paper. Will they take it back?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

If I sent it back what are the chances I won't get more of the bad stuff? Have they removed it from circulation?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
If I sent it back what are the chances I won't get more of the bad stuff? Have they removed it from circulation?
Call your Demo if you need some help. I am sure she will be happy to help.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

On one of the 2 threads on this topic I thought someone said they did contact the company and the company says they do not consider it defective. To me that implies they won't take it back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad to hear it isn't just me! I thought maybe I was scoring too hard. I have had the crease "breaking" when folding with my black cardstock and tonight I had the same thing happen with the SS colors! Man! What's up with that????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #31  
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
On one of the 2 threads on this topic I thought someone said they did contact the company and the company says they do not consider it defective. To me that implies they won't take it back.
that's what happened to that individual...the only way you can know what would happen in your individual situaiton would be to take it to your demo yourself...i've had some problems, but it's not on every piece, so i don't think it's enough to take issue with...i'll take the suggestions to resolve my issue on this thread...but if it happens with another package of cs, i will take it to my demo to complain...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I know exactly the problem you are all having. I usually don't buy the SU stock because I think it is expensive. Every now and then I do because some of their colors are ones I can't get anywhere else. I work for a printer. I usually get all kinds of paper at cost from our suppliers. The problem you guys are having is definately the grain going the wrong direction. We call it "cracking" when you try to fold against the grain. When we buy our paper from the distributors, we usually get it in 23" x 35". Out of that you can get 8 cuts of 8 1/2 x 11. That is the most ecconomical way to cut it and not waste paper. If we have to fold the 8 1/2 x 11 in half after printing, we need to cut from the big sheet in different directions and we only get 6 sheets out and we have more paper waste. That way we have to cahrge our customers more because we need to order more sheets to run the job. It may feel heavier if you are trying to fold or bend against the grain. This only happens with card stock. Does anyone know if SU uses 65# or 80# weight stock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do not want to take the chance of my demo getting stuck with it. She would take it and not say a thing, but if SU won't take it back, I do not want to do that to her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Default Bad CS

I had a package of one color sent to me around Christmas...I think it was Night of Navy. I called SU and they apologized and sent me a package free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow - that's great! Unfortunately, SU told a friend and I that it wasn't considered a defect so there was nothing they could do. Our demo suggested we use it for layering which works - but that's a lot of layers! :shock:

I guess the other option is to have a "tall" card that opens from the bottom by cutting the cardstock in 1/2 lengthwise.

Any other cutting suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I had a customer that received Real Red and it did the same thing so I called Demo support and they sent her a free package of Real Red also!

She didn't have problems with the 2nd package.

So do call and get it replaced!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow - maybe I'll call again! I have 3 packages that I'm having problems with and I was told they wouldn't replace it! Maybe it depends on who answers the phone. My demo called and they told her "no" also.

Seems worth a third try to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo says it is a no also. Spoke with her just a short while ago. I am not the first to have problems. They said the paper is not defective so we are stuck with it. I will have to find another source if this continues to be the cardstock we are stuck with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Face it ladies.....it is NOT defective....it is just the direction of the grain.

Score first, fold second.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Defective or not, if it does not work for the things we want it to work it is going to be something we will have to find another solution for.
Reply With Quote Likes