Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2005, 12:57 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Unappreciated items part deux

OK....so this has been bugging me all day /night. All I am thinking now is that my family and friends have been humoring me for the past few months. I know some of my friends and family think I have gone over the deep end with the whole stamping thing, but it makes me happy...or did until about 3 hours ago. I figured out a card that had been bugging me, finished it and went on to try and "create". So for my 3 hours of hard work, here is what I have:
a wicked headache(headband/stress/eye strain? who knows)
jaw pain from clenching it close to 3 hours
a lot less cardstock
not one usable card
an extremely foul mood
a very pessimistic outlook on this whole deal

I didn't come up with anything worth giving...now is it that I just wasn't creative tonight? Or am I looking at everything with a what-would-my-picky-cousin's-wife-think-if-she-got-this-card attitude??? This is making me nuts!! I am sorry to vent, but it's now almost 5am, I am going to try and get 2 hours sleep before the kids wake up and if I tried to lay down with this on my mind, I would get no sleep at all.

So here it is, throwing it out at everyone again...this is probably one of those posts that I should type and delete, but I'm not going to...just tell me if everyone gets in one of these funks, or it's me??

Night/Morning all.......
Old 03-25-2005, 02:07 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remember that you create for yourself. It is an artistic outlet for your creativity. You have to remember that everyone is a critic and there will be some people who don't like your work and there will be some who just don't "get it" or appreciate it. If you focus on trying to make everyone happy, you'll stifle your creativity (a la the episode tonight).

As far as the picky-cousins-wife, you decide. She's either worth the time to make a card or not. If she doesn't like it, well so be it ... that's her opinion. You showed you cared enough to send the best! (and I'm not talking Hallmark).

Have a great day!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default What is really important?????

I used to worry about relatives when making cards...would they think the card was stupid..I was being cheap-not a Hallmark..boy that girl has no talent..this card sucks...on and on and on. Now, who cares!!!
Rubber stamping is my "passion" not theirs. When you feel uncreative, look at the gallery, find a card you really like, pick out a favorite set then either case it exactely or make changes to make it your own.
Thats how I end my frustrating blocks. Remember!!!! This is for YOU not others.

Happy Creative Stamping,
Gracie (luvtobegram)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Hi, I'm an art teacher and and artist. I have had days like you mentioned, and have learned that sometimes the process (just the stamping part ) is just as important as the product! I never throw away those disaster stamping projects. I can always reuse them, for back grounds or as accents. Some times when nothing works I just put it away. A day or two later something comes to me. I have taken a group of of simlar colored disasters and created a Serendipity! project .

Keep it up we all go through dry spells!

Virginia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 02:49 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a lot like you Judy, I'm really hard on myself. I think sometimes we lose perspective and are too hard on ourselves. I have binned so many cards because I didn't think they were creative enough, whereas they were probably good enough to give or sell, but I am such a perfectionist that everything has to be perfect. I cannot cover mistakes with something else, I just start again.
However, when I look at other people's cards I love the simple ones.
Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves? It's meant to be fun. I do have fun when I have the time to play, but on Tuesday I had orders for 8 cards from moms at school that had seen a card I had done for one mom and they all wanted the cards for Wednesday as it was my son's last day at school before the Easter vacation. That is when I find it really hard to enjoy cardmaking.
Also, why can't I say no? Why can't I say sorry, my cards are originals and I'll bring you a selection to choose from?
Ah well, my son is now off for 2 weeks so I can play without having to fulfill orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 03:37 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't let anyone dampen your stampin' spirit!! If it makes you happy, to h*ll with what they think about it!

Does the person that you are worried about do anything handmade (ie, well invested with TIME & LOVE) for you? (not saying everyone we send a card to has to DO something for us....) Does the person put their HEART into something they do for other people? (I find that type of person "gets" the whole handmade issue)

I obsess about my hubby's sister-in-law (SIL). Always have, always will. But I have finally realized that I can't look at anything I do through her eyes, because we have such a different PERSPECTIVE. So, she gets cards from Hallmark.

I have noticed that her daughter is trying to imitate my cards (and my daughter's cards!)....

If stampin' makes you happy, keep on stampin'!

Just my opinion, though....

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 03:48 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep giving my kids brussel sprouts. They don't care for it. But I know its good for them. And one day they will be eating them and thinking "Hey, these aren't bad. And my mom sure loves me because she keeps giving me good things". You can't help it if your cousin's wife is a little slow at picking up on good things. Just remember it's for her own good, and one day she'll appreciate it.

�.��* .��*��))
-:�:-
((��.��*~
Beth.��*��))
-:�:- �� ((��.��* .��*((��.�.�� *-:�:- ...

I'm always up to Something...
My Daughter is up to stuff too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 04:14 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Ditto what everyone else said, and to add to it all . . . any gift given from the heart is better than anything else. I make cards and give them because that is what I do to honor someone on their birthday or occasion . . . it is not about their reaction, appreciation etc.

If they immediately toss it because they do that to all their cards that is their choice, if they treasure it on the mantel for weeks, that is their choice, but it was my choice to make it and send it and any such gesture should be graciously received by someone . . . .How rude to make comments on any sort of gift or card!

I also will come across a stamp set or such that makes me think of someone in particular, like cool cat I didn't think was my style, but I am getting it for my SIL to make her some cards that she asked about getting as a gift for me, and I am thinking about making some coasters for her too with that set. So I am thinking about her at times when I am not even giving her the gift, so that makes her feel special too.

So just keep doing what makes you happy, and don't let anyones reaction or the threat of anyones reaction steal your joy!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 04:24 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

All I am thinking now is that my family and friends have been humoring me for the past few months
I used to think the same thing when I was first starting to give handmade cards. Trust yourself enough to read people's reactions...I bet you know when someone is genuinely appreciative and when someone is just humouring you.

Most people I have given homemade cards to are genuinely appreciative. A few just humour me. They tend to be the people who do not give out a lot of cards or those who frequent the dollar store to purchase cards. Oh well, I still give them homemade cards. I figure do unto others as I would have them do unto me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 04:30 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Virginia Wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkillmore
Hi, I'm an art teacher and and artist. I have had days like you mentioned, and have learned that sometimes the process (just the stamping part ) is just as important as the product!
I agree 1000%!!! I am the 180 degree opposite of an art teacher--I'm mostly a left-brained, sequential, analytical, anal kind of person in most areas of my life--and that serves me well. But it wasn't until I got into stamping that I have been able to use the more creative, free-flowing, right side of my brain and I love it! But I have to tell you that it took awhile for me to "learn" to be creative, since that isn't my innate tendency. I am proud of myself that I have learned to sometimes just "play" with my stamps and see what happens without feeling disappointed if I don't end up with something that should end up as cover art on a stamping magazine--not that my stuff is that good, anyway
I have also been in your situation where I HAVE to come up with a card design right now. Well, the pressure of that is sure to shut down what little creativity I have been able to cultivate in myself. I have been using my SCS favorites folder as inspiration for these occasions. I have chosen many cards with simple designs that I think I could replicate (oops--CASE ) quickly if needed. Hope this helps.

Amy J. in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 04:35 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Judy, I have NO creative ideas myself. I almost never sit down to create a something from scratch. That's why I copy things from the Gallery here! Now I might change a color or a stamp set, or something, but I do duplicate a lot of what I see here on SCS. My friends, customers, and the recipients of the cards LOVE them. I think they'd love them if they weren't so "wow", but I know that I couldn't stamp w/o SCS's inspiration!!!

Maybe look to the Gallery to be inspired and then take off from there!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Judy, I have NO creative ideas myself. I almost never sit down to create a something from scratch. That's why I copy things from the Gallery here! Now I might change a color or a stamp set, or something, but I do duplicate a lot of what I see here on SCS
Judy, you hit the nail on the head. The few times I try to make a totally Wanda-creative card, it's awful so I go to the gallery and find one/some I like and maybe change it a little and they ALWAYS come out better. So, Virginia, stick with it.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #13  
Montague Mingler

Oohhh. I love the "brussel spouts" comparison! Brilliant!. I stamp because I love it. I give to those I love. Like many others, if it doesn't matter, a 99 cent card from the local card store will do.
Not everyone has the desire to create and others create in different ways. I guess what I'm saying is "if you love it, do it! if you don't, don't sweat it!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks everyone...I just woke up(thank goodness for DH) and my first thought was "ack....need to go delete that before a million people see it!"
Sorry to be Debbie downer last night......I'll be a much more chipper and sarcastic human after some more sleep....nap time for the kids won't come soon enough today!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:21 AM   #15  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

I did think about the 'CHEAP' comments that people have given...

I would almost be tempted to sit down real quickly and say - cheap... hmmmm. Halmark card - $5.00.
My card...
stamp set $20
CS, $5
Ink $ 15
Mono $5
Embellishemnt $5

My card - $50.00. Do you really think I'm cheap?

Oh, wait!
Time to make card - 30 minutes - minimum wage (I haven't worked at a real job for so long I have no idea, but let's just say it's $5/hour.) - $2.50 Now it normally takes me even longer than that to make a card, but I'm willing to be "cheap" about it. And I totaly forgot the cutter - that's $20 there....

Of course, I'd do this and DH would realize exactly how much this stuff actually costs and he would ban it altogehter! He knows I do it and I spend it. I have a set budget that is 100% used each month. But I still don't think he'd be excited about a $50 card....

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 06:06 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Just an up date apparently the link I posted earlier does not work so here is another attempt.

http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Tech...dipity/35.php/

P.S. disneywed because of this disscussion I went and created a new serendipity paper and have been playing all weekend! thanks for your post it helped me too!

here is what I created friday
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Some times when nothing works I just put it away. A day or two later something comes to me.
This is so true! Here's are links to two of my cards made with elements I almost threw away:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Why don't people "get it"? I often have to remember that I have my talents and they have theirs. We often do not appreciate each other's talents AS talents because we do not participate in that same activity. Personally...I feel that stamping and crafting is THE talent to have :lol:

As far as creative brain freeze, that we all have at one time or another, I know that mine comes and goes in waves, so when my "creative genius wave" comes, I take full advantage of it and sort of "mass-produce" (4 or 5 at a time) cards. I have several birthday cards, thinking of you cards, etc. on hand when things come up.

It's hard to deal with pessimism (sp?) and people who do not appreciate the fact that you created a card just for them. Over time, if you keep giving them to her, perhaps one day she will recognize the talent that you have and maybe she may ask to join you in a "stamp fest." Better yet...invite her over for a "stamp fest" and then they can do it for themselves to understand the skill and talent behind the "card frenzy!" Don't get discouraged and when you do...COME HERE!!! You are among friends with the same "disease" that you have :lol: LOL!!! LOL!!

Best Wishes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love to go to the sketch challenges when I have a blank wall. A few weeks ago, I was trying out a wheel on a piece of vellum. It looked great but I didn't know what to do with it. About 2 weeks later, after leaving it on my desk, I decided to try a sketch challenge and it worked perfectly.

Here is the link...

As for what people think...just do it for you...you can never please everyone.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

It's funny, I think this is the first holiday that I have felt stress free about the cards I made -- becuse I made them and didn't send them! I was inspired to make cards, but got all stressed out that they weren't "perfect enough" so I decided to just enjoy the time with my DD and just creating, and then boxed them up for my "portfolio collection" -- my box of stuff to look at for ideas when I am pressed for making a card, and saved the rest of the precut stuff like when I was a demo so I can redo some if I need to! It was so much fun! I knew that the cards would not be appreciated for all the time I spent, and it wasn't necessary since no onein my family sends Easter cards. Well I should say that I didn't send them to the family members I saw today -- I do have some family that I will see next week that DO actually appreciate them, so I will have a week to "torque them up" to my satisfaction, LOL. I also had a friend of mine to ask for a box full of cards for the year (I asked her what she wanted for her birthday) so I will have some for that season too--

It was great, though - I did stuff and didn't get all upset like I always do when I get home from a holiday --- DH gets tired of hearing me moan and groan so I figured why push it on the ones that it doesn't matter too - they don't expect a card, and I expect cartwheels, LOL that I won't get, so why put myself through it?-- I guess that's why I like scrappbooking, becuase I get to keep my creativity, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #21  
The Digi-Freak

Don't worry about what they think! HAVE FUN! Sit down with some awesome cards from your faves on SCS and case away! Or sit down with some sketches and play! Sit down with a stamp set and spin the color wheel and just make something!

Part of the process includes all different types of failures and cards we don't love! That's okay!

Go play! Have fun! You'll eventually make something you LOVE!

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

So after all that...my friend that I sent the redone "wolf" card to called the next day and MADE MY ENTIRE WEEK!!!! She loved the card so much!!! Funny too, since that one was nothing too difficult. I need to stop trying so hard. Re the cards I had done & didn't love so much...I just put them with baskets! My niece(2 1/2) got one that I had done just messin around with the crimper to make something resembling a basket...it was pretty elementary looking, but cute for her. 4 others went to mom/aunt/great aunt/sister...and they all liked them! My sister ( who got my fav out of the bunch) raved! I feel better now....maybe I'll go play a bit once the jelly bean high hits. THANKS EVERYONE!!!