Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:41 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acrylic Blocks/Stamp ??

I've noticed in the stamping/craft/scrapbooking magazines, other companies are selling acrylic block stamps that are repositionable and seem to take less space for storage. I've only been a SU demo for 6 months. People have asked me what I know about these products. What do I tell them? I have no experience with these. PLease fill me in with the pros and cons of these products. If they are so great, why hasn't SU offered them...makes me think they might not be all they are advertised to be...but what do I know?

Thanks for your help

Michelle Y
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:04 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

I'm sorry, don't look for PROs in this post, I'll only give you the cons of these disposable stamps.

1. Clear stamps are made of a polymer that is not rubber. Polymer gets hard, polymer turns yellow, polymer gets gummie ~ all depending on how you treat it. Polymer does not age well. My new saying ~ if polymer's so much better than rubber, why aren't tires made out of it? Rubber RULES!!

2. They are not permanently mounted. You have to take them off and put them on every time you use them. You cannot use multiple stamps at a time without removing them and placing them on the block. The "less storage space" = more work when stamping.

3. If acrylics are so "now" and "hip" why are there still aisles and aisles of wood mounted stamps in the craft stores ~ because acrylics are a fad that will get it's E and fadE. A fad is just a fade waiting to happen.

4. These stamps have a tendancy to slip while being used and while being cleaned. Wood mounted stamps do not.

SU is committed to quality products. We sell rubber wood mount stamps because rubber is a better, more durable product. If you've ever seen the little clear feet you can buy for tiles at the home improvement stores and then seen what they look like after a year, you'll know why SU is sticking with rubber. Rubber last ~ long live wood mounted rubber stamps~~!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:18 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for your insight!! I feel more confident in selling rubber now!

Michelle Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:24 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I cannot offer you any pros and cons b/c I have not received my set yet. I have not heard good things about them but hey you need to try everything at least once. If you don't try it then you really don't have pros and cons you are just listening to what other people say and you might love them despite the advice.

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:35 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

But if your customers are only asking about acrylic *blocks* (not the clear stamps) I think it's different. Unmounted stamps can be rubber, in fact some ppl use su! stamps with acrylic blocks. I am not a demonstrator. I really like unmounted stamps (not clear unmounted stamps, I have no experience there). But the space savings is wonderful. I am about to make a big order of su! stamps, and thinking about *not* mounting them permanently. There have been discussions here b4 about demonstrators unmounting discontinued sets to use w/acrylic. Those of us in small spaces *really* benefit. I wish su! offered unmounted.

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:39 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Not all stamps that are used with acylic blocks are polymer. I happen to remount my rubber SU! stamps on Ezmount foam for use with acrylic blocks. I don't do this because I don't like wood- I do like it. I just have very little storage space and being in the military we move a lot and have weight restrictions. I think the space that it saves outweighs the little bit of extra work that has to be done to use the acrylic block system. Maybe someday when I have the house of my dreams with a huge stamp room I will go back to wood mounts, but for now- this works for me. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:49 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Granted, my reply was solely in response to what your customers are seeing ie CTMH stamp sets. You can remount your stamps on acrylics, but I was addressing the clear stamps, clear acrylics that are in the magazines now and are being sold by the heart company. The answers I gave were directly related to how to respond to a customer.

I'm lucky, I'm on my own, no military for me, so I have the space. But I have a very good friend who was Air Force for 20 years, and I understand completely. Space is definitely an issue.

And I giggled when I saw "I wish SU would sell unmounted stamps" ~ they do, you don't HAVE TO mount our sets on the wood, but that's all we provide for you to mount them on. [/i]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 06:54 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is the very question I have been thinking about.
There is a nice pix at CTMH:

http://www.closetomyheart.com/

Right away, it looks like no trimming.
Nice for those of us (including me) who don't really like to trim.

Another point is the see through aspect of being able to position the stamp exactly where you want it. Great for 2 step stampin!

I was wondering if they rip.
Would hate to ruin my investment!

Other than that it is not really my cup of tea.
I would hate to see how they would store over time here in sunny & humid Baltimore.

I would like to try it sometime!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:01 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I'm sorry, I should have said I wish su! would give the option of not *paying* for the wood. If I buy su! to be unmounted I need to buy the mounting supplies also. And I've already paid for the wood. I do think that unmounted are a coming trend (not the *clear* unmounted, I don't have experience there).

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:16 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

From what I understand SU used to have foam mounted and they weren't very popular. I am one that hopes for the opposite, that we always sell wood mounted and I understand the issues with selling some mounted, some unmounted, it would be hard to have to pick the sets and get them shipped in as timely a manner as SU normally does.

I know the person who has the CTMH stamps told me that she didn't clean on one time and it hardened. I've also seen them get gummy. And while I could see the benefit of a clear block, I would want it permanently mounted to that block. I just wouldn't want to fuss with changing when I'm trying to shoot out 30 swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:26 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Changing the stamps on the block is really not that bad. I have extra blocks in the more popular sizes so sometimes I don't have to do any switching at all. I'd say I have about 30 blocks total and they all fit in a little plastic box- so, while I may have more blocks than I actually need for this system- it still fits in a nice small space. I can understand the resistance that some may have- I was hesitant at first- but I did it and I love it!

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:30 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

My neighbor sells CTMH, this is what she gave to all her costumers.

Hope it will answer some of your questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:36 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

I can't seem to get the attachment to attach!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:42 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My experiences with Acrylic Blocks, rubber or polymer stamps.

First, let me say I believe it's a matter of personal preference when weighing the pro's con's. I find it difficult to say that one is better than the other? I just know what I prefer due to my experiences.

Why I like Wood Mounted Rubber:

-I like the feel of wood
-I like my stamps already pre-mounted, and indexed right on the block -as it's easy and fast to find the image I want quickly and use the stamp without any further steps.
-Rubber (good quality rubber, not all rubber, I must add) can withstand certain abusive techniques: deep thermal/impression embossing and velvet embossing

Disadvantages I can see with wood, despite them being my preferred:

-Weight and consume space
-Inability to see thru wood and in some cases, must use a positioning tool

Why I don't care for Acrylic Blocks:

-Constant mounting/unmounting involved when using either UM rubber or clear polymer images.
-Mounts easily get ink on the edges and have to be cleaned before next use.
-Feel awkward in my hand--comfort issue, I guess

Why I do like the idea of Acrylic Blocks:

-Ease of positioning--no matter how you slice it, a clear mount enables you to see with great precision and that is an undeniable advantage.
-Far less space is used on this sytem due to one set of blocks but for me space is not an issue.

Why I like the idea of clear polymer stamps:

-Ease of positioning

Why I haven't liked any of the clear stamps I've used in the past:

-Didn't take ink well
-Delicate and if you're not careful, you could rip an image
-The constant mounting/unmounting issue, coupled with ink on the blocks needing to be cleaned off (not always, but enough to irritate me!)
-Cannot withstand the abuse of thermal techniques like impression embossing and velvet embossing.
-Felt 'sticky or gummy' after a while

Basically, I'm lazy and I'm old. I want what is easiest and convenient and wood mounts provide that for this ol' lady. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I guess my 2 cents would be this:

I've used unmounteds for years now. They are generally cheaper to buy and definitely easier to store.

Unfortunately I find that I just don't use my um's nearly as much as mounted. My favorites I tend to go ahead and mount permanently! It really is just more of a hassle for me to dig 'em out and mount them on the acrylic block than to just grab one already mounted. This would be the same drawback for me whether the stamps were rubber or acrylic.

Having said that though, I doubt that I would try to discourage customers from trying brand x if they wanted. Don't think it's good for business/friendships to "badmouth" somebody else's product.

Hugs,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:44 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I was surprised to see that CTMH was changing to all acrylics. Not sure I should really have an opinion, since I've never used them, but looking at the process I don't think it would be for me. Having said that - those who are short on storage space are very clever in my book to un-mount their retired sets to save space! Very smart and I'm keeping that in mind if space becomes an issue. (I may dig thru my box of retired stuff that is ready to sell - might be able to keep more of my "babies". LOL!)

BTW - a big thanks to all the military families (especially right now!) for all you do and the sacrifices you make to ensure my freedoms. And giving up stamp storage space is a BIG sacrifice in my book! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

2nd try, I have this sheet that explains how to care for and stamp with the new acrylic sets from CTMH, and I cant get it to attach,

any suggestions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:58 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Just my $.02: A friend bought the "getting started" My Acrylix set that CTMH is/was offering and we both played. Now, I don't know if we just weren't using them right or what, but the stamp surface was sticky and after inking it up the stamp was sticking to the paper! We cleaned and also ran them under water and the same thing was happening! Then, we washed with light soap and they still stuck to the paper.

Then, we tried to use markers on them and the colors didn't take well. Then, we tried to clean them after using the markers and the stamps immediately stained. Is that the end of the world, well no, but they sure didn't look nice after the FIRST use!

Also, I found it EXTREMELY annoying to put on, take off, put on, take off. So, definitely these are NOT for me.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Jovi ~ what kind of attachment is it? Is it a word file? Could you open it and just copy the text and paste it in?

Quote:

Just my $.02: A friend bought the "getting started" My Acrylix set that CTMH is/was offering and we both played. Now, I don't know if we just weren't using them right or what, but the stamp surface was sticky and after inking it up the stamp was sticking to the paper! We cleaned and also ran them under water and the same thing was happening! Then, we washed with light soap and they still stuck to the paper.
That goes back to what I was saying about polymer. It's an unreliable material.

And you don't have to bad mouth CTMH or acrylic stamps but you can play up the benefits of the wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a CTMH alphabet that is acrylic. I bought it for two reasons. I really liked the alphabet and I wanted to try the acrylic. I like that the acrylics are less expensive, in canada the SU alphabets are really expensive. I use alphabets just for scrapbooking and am always looking for new ones. I love being able to spell my words out and see exactly where I am stamping. It took some getting use to, but I have bought two more alphabets that are acrylic from a local store and am anxiously waiting to see the new catalog from CTMH to see if they are offering the numbers to the alphabet I bought. I have had no problems with mine, they do take some getting use to.

I first started stamping with SU, but am now interested in other companies products, especially alphabets.

Just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

This is what my neighbor (CTMH Demo) gave her customers: I used the new sets and I dind't care for them.

Hope this helps answer some questions, Jovita
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Close To My Heart My Acrylix. ..See the Possibilities Information, Care and Cleaning

At Close To My Heart we've spent nearly two decades mastering the art of decorative stamping, and are pleased to introduce the next generation of stamp creativity -My Acrylix. We invite you to See the Possibilities of creating with these wonderful stamps, where expression is made easy and everyone's an expert!

Why My Acrvlix?

With My Acrylix, the possibilities of stamping on a simpler but grander scale are clear. Our premium- quality stamps and mounting blocks are offered at a greater value than rubber, are easier to use, simpler to store, and most importantly, offer creative control and artistic precision on project after project.

See the Possibilities:

.Premium-quality acrylic stamps and mounting blocks are economical, yet offer improved creative versatility and precision.

.Self-adhering My Acrylix designs are easy to mount and maintain. Stamp and ink as often as you like-

.Lightweight stamps and mounting blocks are simple to store and transport. .Mounting blocks are available in various sizes.

.Mix and match stamp images and sentiments to create your own unique designs, scenes, backgrounds, and borders.

.Use the clear mount to check ink coverage, verify placement and spacing, and stamp in exactly the right spot, time after time.

Freauently Asked Ouestions:

I. How do I use My Acrylix stamps?
Step I: Gently peel the stamp from its carrier sheet. (For larger images we suggest loosening the image on all sides before pulling the stamp from the sheet.)

Step 2: Place the image on an appropriate sized My Acrylix block. (When using alphabet stamps, we recommend placing each letter on the line guide for accurate spacing and alignment.)

Step 3: Ink with Close To My Heart Exclusive Inks product, checking the image through the top of the block to verify even coverage.

Step 4: The clear block allows you to determine exactly where you place each image. Looking through the top of the block, place the image in your preferred area then apply even downward pressure.

Step 5: When removing the stamp from a block or the carrier sheet, use your thumb and forefinger to loosen the image on all sides before lifting it off the surface.

2. Some ofmy new images are connected at the base. What is the best way to separate them before stamping? My Acrylix stamp images were placed as closely together as possible during manufacture to ensure our customers get the maximum amount of artwork for their money. If you find that your image bases are connected, carefully lift one side of the base and use our Micro- Tip Scissors or cutting knife to separate the designs.

3. Should I place my stamps in the center of the block? Don't worry about placing the images perfectly on the block. You can achieve precise placement simply by looking through the block when stamping. We do recommend using the block line guide when working with alphabet stamps or when creating patterned borders for spacing and alignment.

4. What size block should I use? Use the block that matches your image (images) in size. Stamping with larger blocks is possible, but applying even pressure is more difficult. Larger blocks also tend to pick-up excess ink from the stamp pad.

5. How much pressure should I apply when stamping? My Acrylix stamps are made of a softer substance than rubber and don't require as much pressure when in use. It's very easy to determine the proper pressure when stamping because the see-through block allows you to watch the transfer of ink to the paper.

6. The pliable My Acrylix stamps are so easy to manipulate. How can I use them to create my own unique design? Try creating curves and waves. When manipulating the stamp images apply pressure when placing them on the block and hold for a few seconds so the distortion stays in place. (My Acrylix have a "memory" and will always go back to their original shape.)

7. Do My Acrylix stamps work well with all stamping products and techniques? My Acrylix stamps provide the same beautiful results as rubber when used with embossing products, markers, water colors, etc. 2nd generation images with My Acrylix are lighter and have more texture.
~. After repeated use, I have a hard time restoring my stamps to their original appearance. Is this discoloration normal? Yes. As with rubber stamps, dark inks will discolor My Acrylix. But thanks to this inevitable occurrence, you're most loved stamps will be the easiest to identify!

-'. How are My Acrylix stamp sets packaged? Each set is packaged in a 6 1f2" x 6 1f2" frosted envelope that reveals the color-coded insert with usage instructions inside. To simplify storage, each insert coordinates with a stamp category found in the 2004 Idea Book.

10. Why was afoam pad included in my package? On occasion you will find that stamping on a padded surface will ensure your images are crisp and the ink is evenly distributed. When stamping large or multiple images, or designs with large blocks of color, we recommend using the 6"x 6" foam pad to cushion your card or layout.

11. Will StazOn ink or cleaner damage My Acrylix? StazOn ink was designed for permanently decorating non-porous surfaces such as glass, metal and ceramic, not for use in albums or with paper crafts. The ink has no effect on the stamp or block, other than discoloration. We recommend cleaning your stamps with the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner immediately after use for the best results. StazOn cleaner was designed to erase mistakes or residual ink on your stamped surface before the ink dries. Although it is safe to use on your stamps, we do not recommend using StazOn cleaner (or and oil based cleaner) on My Acrylix blocks.

12. Can I use baby wipes to clean my stamps? Baby wipes will leave a fibrous residue on both the stamps and blocks. Although they will not damage My Acrylix, we do not recommend their use.

13. Will the bleaching technique harm my stamps? Using the bleaching techniue will not harm your stamps. We recommend that you use bleach with caution however, and immediately remove it from your stamps with the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner.

My Acrvlix Care and Cleaninq:

As part of our My Acrylix durability studies, we've done extensive research on the best ways to clean and care for our new stamps and mounting blocks. For best results, we recommend the following:

1. Clean your stamps (and the block if needed) immediately after use. The longer ink remains, the more difficult it will be to remove. Pigment inks such as Close To My Heart Archival ink and StazOn wilt permanently discolor the stamp image. As was the case with rubber, you will also notice that over time darker inks like reds and purples will also cause some discoloration.

2. Use My Acrylix Spritz or Stamp Cleaner and the Double Scrubber for regular cleaning. These products are the most effective at removing residual ink, and will not damage My Acrylix regardless ofuse. We recommend cleaning the stamps while still on the blocks. Wash your Double Scrubber pads in the dishwasher to remove excess fibers.

3. Use soap and water to restore tack. Dust, dirt, and oils may cause your stamps to become less sticky over time. If you find they seem less adhesive, simply wash the stamps with dish soap and water to restore their original "stick". Continual use of soap and water will eventually cause a build-up. We recommend using this method occasionally, only as needed.

4. Use alcohol to remove residue. If you notice a residue on the back of your stamps, rub them with alcohol using a non-abrasive, fiber free cloth. 00 NOT USE ALCOHOL ON MY ACRYLIX BLOCKS, as alcohol may cause hairline fractures in the material. Extensive use of alcohol is not recommended. Use this method occasionally. only as needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 08:27 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Going back to the original question, if a customer asks you a question about something then I would suggest you be honest. If you haven't used the stamps, say so. As a customer not a demo, I might ask you about the stamps, but I wouldn't really expect you to be able to tell me about everything that there is in stampingland. An honest, "I have never used those stamps, so I can't really tell you what to expect.", would be enough reply for me.

As a customer, I would be less likely to purchase from you, when you bad mouth another company's product. I would be happy to listen to why your products are great. But I feel it lessens your product, when you have to say bad things about someone else product to sell your own.

I haven't tried the new My Acrylix, but I have ordered the "try me" set so I can compare it to the stamps that I have.
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I agree, as a demo I would not bad mouth any company. I would be honest. I have not used acrylics. I love my su stamps and feel like the quality and versitlity sells it on its own. I am interested in trying the acrylics anyway. Gotta try new things in life to keep growing.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

As an SU demo I had to see what am I going against with the acrilic stamps because my customers made a big isue about it and made me wonder and concern about my business, and due to the lack of military images in the new catty, I ordered the army set from cTMH.I can say proudly ans loud that I did not like it :shock: The images don't ink well, the excess ink in the block, the mounting and unmounting can rip the images and many more disavantages ... At least I know now that I have nothing to worry about when it comes to my business, I will always find customers that like our products over any others and when someone ask me about the differences between companies and products at least I can tell them because I tried ,not because someone else told me about it. That's the good thing about it, customers get to choose what they like and prefered and after they try I am confident they will come back :twisted:

I love to stamp, what a stress reliever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I am new to this board but not new to stamping. I love all my wood mount stamps. I do have some acrylic stamps but I only have the letters and nubers in them. I like that I can put a whole name or saying on the block instead of stamping each individual letter. I am not sure how these will hold up but I am not going to buy to may more until I see what happenes with the ones I have.

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't had a customer ask me about acrylics yet (and I'm not gonna mention them!) but I'm sure they eventually will so all of this is good information. I'm thinking most people (and most of my customers) would appreciate honesty and you can certainly acheive that w/out "badmouthing" any other companies. People are bound to ask the question due to the cost savings w/acrylics. So like everything else, it is up to each individual stamper to choose what works best for their own needs. A good rule of thumb would be to just remain very diplomatic when describing the differences and be honest about whether you are speaking from experience w/acrylics or just relying on what others are saying their own experience was.

I'm printing out this thread so I can list the pros and cons for people when they do ask! Thanks everybody for all the great info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 12:02 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't used CTMH acrylics, but I did use TAC (The Angel Company)'s see through, unmounted acrylics. It was pretty amazing to see exactly where you were stamping. I had no problem with getting a crisp image either.

Everyone at the TAC party were SU customers(I have been for 5 years) and everyone was pretty impressed. I used them to make a card at the party and haven't used them a lot since. I used a beautiful gingham background stamp that stamped like a dream. Maybe with a lot of use I would get sick of switching the stamp on the blocks, but who knows.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if SU comes out with acrylics in the future!

For now, I am very happy with my SU stamps but I'm willing to incorporate acrylics.

Ashley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I have to chime in here!!! I unmount all my SU sets and mount them on EZMOUNT foam. First, the space issue...we are overseas also and we don't have alot of space...I have around 130 sets in about a 12 inch area of space ina book case...Awesome!! (plus DH doesn't see how many sets there are!!!) Then there is the weight restrictions for moving...wood mounted stamps are HEAVY..if you have alot of them...me not having any blocks is a huge savings to our weight allowance..plus one less thing for me to worry about during PCS time!

I do have a new CTMH set and I am still undecided on it.. Part of me wants to like it so I can buy some of the word puzzle sets...oh and the air force set!! but I really don't know if I like it or not..I need to play with it some more.

But I LOVE TAC (the angel company) unmounted option..they give you the option to buy the wood mounted set (and mount it yourself--like SU) or you can get the unmounted (at lower cost) and it comes with a sheet of EZMount foam. I really wish SU would do this..give customers an option...

Well..just my .02

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 04:12 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I played with some CTMH stamps last night, and did order a couple of sets, only because they are unlike anything that we have in our catalog. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the idea or not. My first thought was how gummy they were, they stuck to the paper when we stamped.... I'm still on the fence about switching over my retired sets...

JOY - what do you say to your customers about the blocks when you do parties??? I would have concerns with the fact that my customers may question my loyalty to SU! when I change the way I use my stuff. Do your customers follow your lead, or do they use the wood blocks?

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Can I put my .02 in here? I am a CTMH Consultant and am really loving the acrylic stamps. I have used rubber for 7 years and thought nothing of it. I have always loved my CTMH and SU stamps and it never occurred to me to mount them on anything else. I didn't even know there was the OPTION of mounting an acrylic bases! I just got my first TAC catty and LOVE it! And I agree, it's nice that they offer the option of buying mounted or unmounted!

However, since convention, I have used the acrylics almost exclusively. The other day I went to use my wood mounts and I found myself wishing they were clear. Once you stamp with these you can't believe how very cool they are! Am I getting rid of all my wood mounts? No. But I AM going to unmount them so that I can use them on my clear blocks and take advantage of the space-saving options that this will afford me!

These are, of course, a new product. I have no experience with how time will affect these. Environmental conditions are no problem though. At convention, they put an acrylic stamp in a frying pan, put him in the freezer, put it inside a blender and turned it on, did all sorts of things with him, and there was no ill affect! They do stain like the rubber ones. And being clear, this is more noticeable. It does not affect the transparency though.

As far as the inking issue is concerned, I have to say that I disagree with some of the posts (respectfully!). I know that with new stamps, be they rubber or acrylic, that they sometimes have to be "seasoned" with an eraser or just simply stamping over and over. I have had to do this with my larger images, but they stamp just fine! I will upload some of my work to my album so that you can see how they stamp.

Invariably, there will be those that don't care for them, and that's OK! We are each entitled to our own opinions! As for me,, I have NOTHING bad to say about rubber! As I said I used them for years and thought they were wonderful! But I am loving the transparency factor involved with these acrylic stamps!

Thanks for giving me the chance to share my views!

Lisa Stieg

If you want to see more artwork that I didn't make, you can check out my website at www.luv2stampnscrap.com. [/url]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:36 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Lisa, first off - welcome!! Second, personally I am glad you put in your .02 - it's always nice to get other opinions - even when they aren't the same as ours! As I said before - my only concern is that as a SU! demonstrator, if I were to change to acrylic blocks, how do I explain to my customers that I don't use the wood blocks.... The storage idea is a definite plus - and obviously it would take a while to get used to stamping a different way. I honestly LOVED the fact that I could see exactly where I was stamping with you new system!

Kelli - how much would it cost me to get the backing to convert approximately 100 sets??? LOL, wanna help?

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Karen,
Most of my customers are very good friends and they know what I do and why I do it- they don't follow my lead though. They stick with the wood blocks. For totally new crowds I do have some wood mounted sets that I use as to not confuse them. We have nine months left here and I don't plan on doing too many more parties as my downline have pretty much taken over for me. I don't plan on being too active in the states unless I meet a group that is really interested. The space is a big issue for me. I have attached a pic of my storage- I have about 300 sets in this small area.

JOy
Attached Thumbnails
Acrylic Blocks/Stamp ??-dsc02026.jpg   Acrylic Blocks/Stamp ??-dsc02025.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 08:22 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinitup
Lisa, first off - welcome!! Second, personally I am glad you put in your .02 - it's always nice to get other opinions - even when they aren't the same as ours! As I said before - my only concern is that as a SU! demonstrator, if I were to change to acrylic blocks, how do I explain to my customers that I don't use the wood blocks.... The storage idea is a definite plus - and obviously it would take a while to get used to stamping a different way. I honestly LOVED the fact that I could see exactly where I was stamping with you new system!

Kelli - how much would it cost me to get the backing to convert approximately 100 sets??? LOL, wanna help?

Karen
Hi, Karen. I have to add my opinion as well...
I thought that very same thing. How do I change to acrylic blocks to have all of these great advantages? Well, after seeing and using these awesome acrylic stamps I knew that trying to compete with them was an uphill battle. As awful as it will make me sound I decided not to try to beat em' but to join em'. I officially resigned with SU! last week and signed up with CTMH. I am totally hooked on these stamps and ALL of the versitility they offer. My customers nearly all of them are just as hooked!!!! My confession is that I am a business woman and I am in the business to sell stamps.

As for the original posted question. I would simply tell your customer about the great advantages of the products that you are selling. Stick with the info you know and NEVER bad mouth other products or companies. Reassure them that you are fine with them researching, trying and using other products other than SU!. Your honesty will prevail in the end and your customers will respect you more.

Now, no flaming at Dawn. OK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

LOL Dawn, "I" don't flame. :lol: As for your decision - I don't agree, but that's why we are different - and we're all entitled to be!! Although I like the idea of the system and the storage - I personally like SU!'s stamps better - again, a choice. The only stamps I will buy from CTMH will be stamps that I can't get from SU! - if I'm looking for a floral set, I'll buy SU! - if I'm looking for military stamps - CTMH is the place to go..... At this point, I would never dream of leaving. In fact, I just got off the phone with one of my downline, and she told me that she used to be with another company before signing up with SU! - I was never aware of that - but same thing - she didn't like their stamps as much as SU!. Personally, I think competition is a good thing!!

I have decided to order the stuff to remount my retired sets and after I do that I will make a decision on what I will do with the rest of them.

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 09:54 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinfanatic
I like that I can put a whole name or saying on the block instead of stamping each individual letter. I am not sure how these will hold up but I am not going to buy to may more until I see what happenes with the ones I have.
Do the alphabet sets come with more than one of each letter? I'm wondering if it would be possible to stamp my son's name (Christopher) or his nickname (Boo) or either of my daughters' names (Charlotte and Rebecca) all at once. I'm imagining mounting Charlot-e, inking,stamping, cleaning, moving the t, then removing all the other letters, inking the lone t and stamping it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2004, 02:07 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Just a question.. Could you do you SU letters on acyrlic blocks? You would not be able to see them, but if you were to spell out a word or phrase on the block wouldn't your placement be better that eyeballing each individual letter. I like my wood mounted stamps but may try this with my letters, I also have alot of those little kits from Michaels and may try mounting those on Acyrlic. They come mounted on that hard block of foam. Can you get the blocks and stuff at Michaels? Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2004, 02:34 AM   #37  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I for one think it was akward to use the acrylics but then again I have only used the wood mounted stamps before. I see at the Wal Mart by me you can buy some of the acrylic blocks and they have some clear stamps there too. I only used one at a friends house once so not sure how I like them, maybe if I bought a set and used them more I might change my mind but for now I will stick to the wood mounted ones..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2004, 04:22 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for everyones input! I agree, I would never badmouth another company or product...especially since I do not have experience with them. What I've gathered, is there are pros and cons to both acrylic and wood mounted. I have a hunch that SU is sitting back and watching what happens with this trend. Who knows, may be next year SU will come out with rubber stamps mounted on acrylic blocks. If they do, I hope they round the edges and shape the acrylic blocks to match the shape of the wood blocks. I'm such a creature of habit!!

Michelle Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2004, 05:48 AM   #39  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,035 Likes on 476 Posts

Well, this whole thread is VERY interesting! I heard that CTMH sold military stamp sets, so I started looking yesterday for a Navy one. I thought, for some reason, that the Navy set was in the old catalog, and wanted to see it, but now I realize that it's a brand new set and isn't available yet. The whole idea of acrylics scares me, because I've never used it! I bought some tiny cheap acrylic stamps at JoAnne Etc. when they were on clearance, but I didn't know what to do with them and I don't have a block. But, I guess the market will tell us eventually. If they are as good as some say, then they will stay and get more popular. But if they don't work as well, then they'll be phased out. Personally, I will wait and see! If Stampin Up goes this route eventually, then we'll have to go along or get out. I would like to buy that special "try me" set that CTMH has, just to give it a shot, but that will have to wait for a while. I look forward to next year at this time, to see if the idea is growing, shrinking, or just the same. Stampin Up pays close attention to trends, so we can all be sure we'll have info about it either way.

Skweekysoo - it's good to see you here, I'm the one that purchased the old catalog from you! Small world

Debbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2004, 06:08 AM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

I heard and verified last night that at convention Shellie promised that SU would never go to acrylic blocks and clear stamps. I hope to find that true. I like the feel of wood and I like the options of remounting them if I get it crooked but have it be permanent. I don't want to mess with acrylics and polymer. Just a preference. A year will go by quickly, so we'll see what the future brings.
Reply With Quote Likes