Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you think this is acceptable????

I've been thinking lately of starting my Christmas cards (for this coming holiday season) I figure if I do a few here and there, then when it comes time to send them out, I'll be all done

I've also read the post on here about how some people just aren't appreciative when it comes to homemade cards/gifts and such. And I'm sure that the MAJORITY of people that I sent a handmade Christmas card to has just thrown it away. I mean I don't expect them to frame it and display it (Although I do this when I find a card that I love-whether homemade or store bought)...

But anyhoo----I was thinking of ways to save on my cardstock knowing that most of it will end up in the trash once the people clear out all the holiday cards and stuff. Do you think it would be totally unacceptable to just send a card front? I mean the front could have layers and embellishments and such, but it seems like such a waste of CS just to have someone throw it all away after all the hard work of making it!!! I mean, if I did just card fronts, then I could use 4 times LESS cardstock then if I did a full card!!! I think using just a card front and write on the back of it would be alot better. What does everyone else think?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would you think this is acceptable????

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslex
I've been thinking lately of starting my Christmas cards (for this coming holiday season) I figure if I do a few here and there, then when it comes time to send them out, I'll be all done

I've also read the post on here about how some people just aren't appreciative when it comes to homemade cards/gifts and such. And I'm sure that the MAJORITY of people that I sent a handmade Christmas card to has just thrown it away. I mean I don't expect them to frame it and display it (Although I do this when I find a card that I love-whether homemade or store bought)...

But anyhoo----I was thinking of ways to save on my cardstock knowing that most of it will end up in the trash once the people clear out all the holiday cards and stuff. Do you think it would be totally unacceptable to just send a card front? I mean the front could have layers and embellishments and such, but it seems like such a waste of CS just to have someone throw it all away after all the hard work of making it!!! I mean, if I did just card fronts, then I could use 4 times LESS cardstock then if I did a full card!!! I think using just a card front and write on the back of it would be alot better. What does everyone else think?
Just my 2 cents...

I would send the whole card. I just don't like getting Christmas postcards. But, I will admit to using the good stuff for card fronts, and using Waussau CS which I had Kinko's cut by the ream for the card.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:23 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I would like to add that I think most stampers would be fine getting the card fronts, but not most of the general public.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I used the loads of love set for our christmas cards, and only did card fronts, it wasn't to save paper, they had several layers, brads for the hub-caps and were "front" heavy, falling foward, so thats why I decided just to do card fronts, I did the message and signed names on the back. I guess I thought it be better a "post card" type of thing, rather than a card that wouldn't stand up.
So I say go for it. If someone gets offended over a post card christmas card............well what can I say?

Be sure to post what you come up with
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I make card fronts and attach them to inexpensive white cardstock too. Just card fronts would confuse most of the people I know. "Is it glued shut?? Was she too poor to make the whole card this year?? What the heck is this supposed to be?!" :lol: A handmade card flabbergasts many of them--just the front would cause them to have spasms! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I agree that the general public probably wouldn't fully appreciate a card front/postcard idea. Unless you are sending to a lot of papercrafters or university students in the biological sciences (in my experience an open-minded crowd with environmental concerns), consider buying a ream of confetti white CS for $5 from Office Depot and using that to mount the fronts on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I'm planning on making a 6x6 with a family picture, but it will not open. It's more paper than the traditional size, but it might be a way for you to save paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Here's my two cents (and that is probably too high a price for what I offer).
I have received postcard type Christmas cards and never thought anything negative about it. If someone who receives a card, handmade or otherwise, and chooses to find any problem with it, that is their #$%&, and obvoiusly they don't understand what Christmas is all about. I find that sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:38 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have gotten several Christmas/holiday cards that were just a front. They were usually pics of kids or a nice poem and then layered (with punched out corner slits) on a background piece. And these were not handmade.

Maybe you could do something like that and incorporate your message on the front of the card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I feel that most of my non-stamping friends and relatives enjoy getting something from me that I've made. As opposed to a store bought creation, that someone else put creativity into???? What they do with the card once they've read and admired my gift is up to them. Hopefully they will be considerate enough NOT to let me know it went in the garbage! Some people just aren't pack rats like me

Don't send just a card front, unless you are intending to send post cards.
Use less expensive CS, especially when it comes to white or black. Put your money into SU colored CS or stamps. You're much more ambitious than I, I'm just worried about Easter cards now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theeb
Here's my two cents (and that is probably too high a price for what I offer).
I have received postcard type Christmas cards and never thought anything negative about it. If someone who receives a card, handmade or otherwise, and chooses to find any problem with it, that is their #$%&, and obvoiusly they don't understand what Christmas is all about. I find that sad.
What you said! I agree and you cracked me up in the process! :lol:

With the cost of postage they should be happy they are getting ANYTHING in the mail! (I'm old! ha!)

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

When I send out cards to all my family, usually 70+ cards, I use the really cheap cardstock you can get at Office Max for the card part and then make a front to attach with nicer cardstock. It only costs about 5 cents a sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:59 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I actually do 2 cards each year. One with stamping on it, maybe one embellishment and not too much additional card stock. These I send to the majority of my list knowing they will probably throw it out but I feel good because I sent them a handmade card.

Then, I make another card where the technique is more difficult I use more embellishments, etc. and I send this card to my "stamping" friends or to people I know would appreciate the time spent on the card.

Have fun whatever you decide to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:23 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

If you want to send out card fronts then you do it! Write on the back, merry christmas or whatever. I think that if their not apperciative of that card then they can kiss your *** !! HeHe. I agree with Kimeboss, they should be happy that they got anything in the mail in the first place! Its homemde too, so its gonna be different than a store bought card anyway. Its probably gonna smaller and so its not gonna have an inside too! I say you go for it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:30 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

I always send full cards, personal preference. I get a lot of comments from people I send my cards to. A lot of them tell me they still have the card I sent last year. Makes me feel good. I guess I see it as "it's the thought that counts" and just hope they appreciate the fact that I cared enough about them to send them a homemade card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Send whatever you like!! I've gotten lots of single-sheet, unfolded cards. In fact, most of the family picture-type cards are printed out on a single sheet of photo paper. I put flat Christmas cards on the refrigerator & stand the folded cards up on a table.

I confess, I do not understand why people are worried that the cards they send will be thrown out. Of course they will! I don't keep all the cards I receive and don't expect anybody else to either. If I want a card to avoid the trash then instead of writing in it, I'll include a separate note (& sometimes an extra envelope) so they can reuse it. A card is like a mini-gift (ok, a mini-mini-gift) which I give with no strings attached.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

I just love the idea of doing the card fronts only. Thanks for the idea! I made 120 detailed xmas cards this past year and it sucked! It took forever, and cost a lot!! I am sure that most of them got tossed in the trash . I say go for it! I just might do the same thing (except to my stamping buds, they'll get the whole thing). :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

What about a pocket card front with a pullout tag?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

:? Well, I keep all the cards that I get that people make and send me. I add them to my stash of demo cards, make and takes, etc. I just like having them and it reminds that the person went to the trouble to make it for ME. I guess I never thought what others do with my cards. Hummmm, maybe I will be a little more chosey about who I send to... naaaaaaa, just kidding, I like sharing my cards anyway. I figure they are either thrilled or think, oh no. another card from that Card Maker Lady. Keep thinking and a new mantra,, once you give it away, it isnt yours anymore, and boy,, it better not be sent back to me.... LOL...
As for the Postcard card idea. I have done that and I think it depends on the card and ocassion and you. I dont see it as being cheap or stingy with your card materials. It is just that it might be a nice card done as a postcard and a change from the norm. You know the out of the ordinary are the ones that catch your eye anyway. I did it once for Thanksgiving cards and for Valentine ones and they looked great and I liked them - that was what counted most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

I did card fronts only for a birthday invitation for my DD. I didn't hear one comment. And not only that, I didn't even put them in envelopes! I knew they were going to be tossed afterwards, so that's what I decided to do.

I like the pull out tag idea -- that's a good way to save some CS.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxsupermom
I actually do 2 cards each year. One with stamping on it, maybe one embellishment and not too much additional card stock. These I send to the majority of my list knowing they will probably throw it out but I feel good because I sent them a handmade card.

Then, I make another card where the technique is more difficult I use more embellishments, etc. and I send this card to my "stamping" friends or to people I know would appreciate the time spent on the card.
Great suggestion! I don't do well with making the exact same card 50+ times anyway, so when it's time to decide who gets which card, the more special ones definitely go to those I feel will have at least some appreciation for it. The simplest ones go to those I'm in doubt about, and I send store bought cards to those I'm sure don't have a clue. Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #22  
KLF
Kookie Creator

Hey, I've got friends who say they're too busy to send out any kind of cards! A card is meant to send a greeting to people, not to conform to some kind of rule. Send whatever you like, and your true friends will appreciate the fact that you thought of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it's perfectly acceptable. I get so many "photo" postcards, You know, the ones you have a photo of the family and some generic happy holidays. I think a handmade cardfront is just as good as that, if not better.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Default card front would be fine

sure- why not? How many entitlement issues has our society got if we 'expect' a full card? The idea is to send well wishes for a wonderful thing we're celebrating. People only display the front of a card anyway- and most people these days just sent out the picture of the dog card [or the kids or family] and those are just 'fronts'. I would seriously question if someone should be on my mailing list if they would some how by put off by a card front style card!

I've never done it, but I think it's a fine idea. I use the clear envelopes, so that is the only thing that would keep me from doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I make my hand made Christmas cards for those that I feel are 'card worthy' (Remember Seinfeld's sponge worthy episode?) :-) And my husband sends out store bought cards to those who I know wouldn't appreciate the hand made ones. I LOVE the idea of buying cheap paper and just using the card fronts though, I think I might just do that this year! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Last year I started in June making sets of 12 cards/set and did a total of 15 sets. I gave these to our family's member as Xmas presents early. They got them at Thanksgiving, I some of the Xmas cards we received were the one sthat I have made as gifts, so I know some of them got used. I had one SIL ask how I made them on the computer, I smiled and DH said "the puter hell!!! She sat and cut and stamped, cussed, embossed and assembled them by hand. I am proud of her and if you don't like it kiss her lily white assets" I Love my DH. LOL
Gin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think a cardfront would be perfectly acceptable...think about it this way, how many holiday cards have you gotten that are just the picture of the family/kids and it does not open? KWIM??? No one thinks anything of those not "opening" JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:23 AM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Me too only I do 3 sets of cards. One store bought (cheap) card (think dollar store) for the folks I KNOW for a fact don't appreciate my hand made cards (see the other thread about this) like our tax guy.

Then I do a quick simple but elegant take 10 style stamped card front for most of the folks. But I don't think they'll "get" the card front thing. So... There is a set of prescored notecards at Office Depot (looks like an 81/2x11 sheet til you rip it at the perfs and fold) it looks just like the confetti white. I mount my card fronts on this. That way I can use my fabulous SU paper on the front and still have a card to write on for the middle without using all my beautiful SU CS for a message.

Then I do an all out, take your breath away WOW card for my friends who stamp and my relatives who seem to appreciate the effort. These are full cards all with my best paper.
My DH helps me address them every year. He totally thinks I'm nuts but hey, we knew that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #29  
mothermcbride

Do what makes you happy. Many people are going to pitch the card, whether they marvel at it or not. I pitch most of the store-bought cards I receive each year. You just can't please everyone. For 2003, I did card fronts that were made to look like postcards. I was very proud of them and did receive a couple of nice comments. This year, my cards will be made of both SU cardstock and cheapo white from the craft store. As an aside, I rarely get a thank you or hey that's a nice card whether it's store made or homemade. Most people will be pleased with whatever you decide to send and many that aren't probably would find fault no matter what.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I just made a couple Easter cards that turned out to be cardfronts only because I finished them before I realized I should have trimmed them more if I were going to put them on regular cards! I decided they were darn cute anyway and wrote on the back. Besides, you do definitely run into the "front-heavy" issue if you are doing much layering.

Plus, as has been said, the photo cards people send out can't even be propped up without curling, so you've got that beat by a mile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

I think that is a great idea!!! Not only saves on cardstock but time and energy too. The only person you would send a FULL CARD to are your parents....hehehehe. Only kidding Pam. You are our #1 daughter and anything would be fine.
In fact I think that's what I will do too!
Love ya, Mom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by labullard
The simplest ones go to those I'm in doubt about, and I send store bought cards to those I'm sure don't have a clue.
Sounds good to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Listen, they are lucky to be getting ANYTHING at all!! I've been sending members of my family Christmas cards for 20 years now, and most of them never send me anything. I've sent handmade cards twice now, and this year I was just too stressed to do it, and I sent store bought cards, and I was very happy with that, also. It makes me happy to be sending them wishes for a merry Christmas, and if they can't appreciate that I'm not going to worry about it. I have 6 brothers and sisters (5 are step, but loved just the same!) and I only have ever received a card from two of them regularly. One sends them sometimes, and one sent me a Christmas card for the very first time this past Christmas! Do you think I cared what kind of card it was? I was SO thrilled to have received a card from them at all!! I'm not trying to criticize those not sending me cards, either. I'm a TERRIBLE card giver!! (gasp!) I'm an SU demo, so I should be better, shouldn't I? But I'm a scrapbooker first, and if I'm behind in my scrapbooking I don't feel like spending my scrapbooking time making cards...PLUS, I have this terrible habit of not looking forward in my calendar, but backward..."Oh, look!! I just completely missed so-and-so's birthday again!!" Instead of looking forward to next month, and whose birthday I don't want to miss this time!
Anway, please don't feel bad at whatever you decide to send. You love them, or you wouldn't be sending them a card. If they want to criticize your choice of a card, then phooey on them! Don't give it another thought! Save your money, make them a beautiful card front/postcard, and go on to the next thing!
HTH!! and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Erin in Okc
One week without stamping makes one weak!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Re: card front would be fine

Quote:

Originally Posted by renadasmom
I've never done it, but I think it's a fine idea. I use the clear envelopes, so that is the only thing that would keep me from doing it.
What about card front with sentiments on the back then a slip of copy paper. You fill out the address info on the side with the copy paper so that your artwork shows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Card Fronts

I think what ever you make from the heart is fine and if they don't appreciate the thought behind it, that is there problem. You could actually make the back into a really cute post card type, with a nice message and their address, and that would be fine in my opinion.

I've recieved pictures taped to card stock and Merry Christmas written on the back, and thought that was fine. (the picture of the kids was really cute ) There was no special detail or embellishments.

Do what works for you! IMO!

Barbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

I guess I look at it that if you made 100 full size cards that is only 25 sheets divided by 4 at a cost of what $4.50? The expense comes in all the embellishments and layering not just the card back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

What a good idea! Last year I had ran out of my homemade cards (miscounted) and had to decide who I would give a store bought card to (GASP!) because I just wasn't making another dang card! It was my first year making cards, and I wasn't as organized as I could have been I really like the idea of doing a simpler (translating to easier, quicker, and cheaper) card for those who don't really "get" the whole stamping thing! Thanks for the idea.

As for the card front debate...If someone had the gall to complain about a card front, it would be the last card (front or otherwise) they got from me! However, lot's of things come just as a front; the picture card someone mentioned, wedding invitations, birth announcements, etc. It's not weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 AM   #38  
KLF
Kookie Creator

A tip I learned from my mother is to recycle many of last year's Christmas cards as gift tags. Just cut out an image from the front, layer it on a cardstock scrap if needed, and punch a hole. Maybe we should all pass this tip on to our card recipients who throw out our cards. If it works with store-bought cards, how much more spectacular would our handmade ones be!

I have a good friend who crafts but doesn't stamp. Her decorating style is "more is better." She saves all the cards I send, and puts the appropriate ones out for each holiday--I think we're up to 8 or 10 years' worth now. I gave her a pretty Victorian fan display rack, and they look great. The only problem is that I need to make sure the cards are different every year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I love getting mail period and if it is a card from someone then all the better. I have a girlfriend that keeps all the cards that I make for every season and displays them everywhere in her home. And I would see nothing wrong with receiving just a card front. Its something a little different and that is great.

Janine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know if you have a Michael's nearby -- but I buy their 50 pack cardstock (pre scored) and envelopes for around 9.99 / pk. When they are on sale it's like 5 bucks. Very cheap and you don't need to use as much card stock... just an option..

Good luck,
Sara