Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU! Demos in Ontario?

Hi, I love Stampin' Up! and I'm excited about becoming a demo... but I'm moving from Manitoba to London ON in September, and I have a few questions. If you don't know anybody, how would you market your business? Also, it costs $55 here for a permit to sell, and I can't find how much it is in Ontario. Is the market saturated for demos in Ontario? Is it a good idea to become a demo now even though I don't know anyone there... or do you think I should wait a few months after the move? How hard is it to start a stampers club?
Any advice is welcome and appreciated! BTW, I love this forum! You are all so talented!
-cher
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Cher,

In Ontario, you don't require a permit to sell. $55.00 OMG, is that a one time fee or yearly? Anyways, moving to new town is the perfect time to join SU, you have a perfect opportunity to meet your new neighbors and share your love of stamping. Invite all the women over for an open house once your settled in. Doing what you love shows and is contagious!!! Best of Luck.

Laurel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Cher,

Here's a big welcome from me in London to you!

Ontario is certainly growing in numbers as far as Demonstrators are concerned, but we are by no means tripping over each other. I firmly believe that the more of us there are, the quicker we can share the word about how great Stampin' Up! is and tell people what an amazing opportunity we have in front of us! Stampin' Up! is approaching its third year anniversary in Canada and it's still very exciting to get involved!

Deciding when to sign up is entirely up to you and any time is the best time!

Stampers Clubs ... I'm working on getting my 4th one started and this one has been a little more difficult to get people to commit. I'm not sure why though. I only need one more stamper and it'll be ready to go. Doing the clubs is an awesome way to meet your quarterly minimums. I also like the idea of welcoming your neighbours to an Open House at your place to just come and play and see what all the excitement is about. As well, there are bulletin boards around town that you can post flyers, although I'm not sure how successful this actually is. Plus, Stampin' Up! has a referral program so that a potential customer can call them to get the name of 5 demonstrators in their area. So, I would recommend that you sign up for this referral program whenever you do your paperwork. Plus, I have a document that has tips on how to get bookings. I'll look for it and try to send it along.

Anyway ... here's an early welcome to London and SU! Be sure to look us up when you arrive. You're going to love London and SU!

Take care,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Wonky server ... and triplicate post ... sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

:oops: :!:

It's not quite the same as turning over your cardstock when you goof up! :lol: It's right here out in the open for all to see, although I was having "can't find server" issues and didn't think it had posted. Was I surprised :o to see it here in triplicate or quadruplicate ... I've lost track now.

Okay ... now I'm going to try and hide

But ... I'm still sending a big hello to you!

Later
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #7  
Cid
Glitter Queen

Hi there! I am in London and I just signed up. It would be so cool to meet you when you get here...

As I said, I just signed up as I didn't know anyone around me that was with SU (other than my upline...and I just met her a month ago...she is in Strathroy!), so I decided to join myself. I have found everyone to be very receptive to stamping...and it might be a great way to meet people...gives you a reason to chat with folks!!

We are no where near being saturated here as everyone has their own circle of friends.

PM me if you want to chat more.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Default Welcome to Ontario

First let me say, welcome, welcome, welcome to Ontario! This is a really great province to live in. It really is. Secondly, you are going to LOVE being an SU demo! The perks and benefits are amazing.

My suggestions to get your business off the ground are:

- if you have kids, think about bringing a catty to leave in the teachers room and offer lunchtime classes to teachers (thanks Caroline for this one! - my upline, she's amazing)

-contact Welcome Wagon and put your name with them - also ask them for a list of newcomers to London

-put up a flyer at your local grocery stores announcing Stamp Camps, etc.

-go stamp at the library for a couple of afternoons, people will ask what you're doing and you can bubble up and tell them!

-join some activity outside your home with some other ladies, (gym, book club, creative writing class) and it gives you an opportunity to introduce yourself and your business

-introduce yourself to your new neighbours by holding an open house

Just a few thoughts anyway,

Saturated market? No such thing! The more the merrier. Plus you can do supply orders with the demos around you.

smiling in Sudbury,

Debby Moreau
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Hi !! I live in London as well and am a new Hobby demonstrator.
Would love to meet anyone else that is as obsessed with stamping as I am. Would love to join in some Stamp Camps or host them. PM me if you are interested.
Janine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Would love to meet anyone else that is as obsessed with stamping as I am. Would love to join in some Stamp Camps or host them. PM me if you are interested.
Janine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Janine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Good grief !! Sorry about the mutiple posts. Trouble with the site for a while.
Janine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Wow! thanks so much for all the support & advice! Those were some really good tips, debbi, and I will definitely try them! An open house is probably a great way to make friends in the neighbourhood too! I'm starting to get a bit more excited and a little less scared about the move. Hopefully one day all of us obsessed stampers in London can get together!
well, have a great day ladies, and thanks again!
-cher
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Cher,
I don't think SU has been in Canada long enough for there to be too many demos, but I think some areas probably have more demos than others. London is a fairly big city, so I'm sure there is plenty of room for another demo. It may take some time to get established and find your own group of customers, but I'm sure the opportunities are out there.
I'm a southwestern Ontario demo. I can't say exactly where, in case my secret sister is checkin', but I'm about an hour away from London. I am hoping to host a shoebox swap if anyone is interested. If you'd like to attend, please PM me and I can get a list going. (sorry to hijack the thread)
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes