Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2005, 06:34 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No "Craft Room"... What to do??

I live in a ranch-style townhouse with my DH... we have a guest bedroom that gets frequent use. There is no place to call "my own" in terms of stamping. What do those of you who are in my position do to keep your projects and supplies organized and out of the way?

Looking for great ideas, here, ladies!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I used my dining room table for a year. Hated to pull it all out....put it all away..just to eat!! lol But, then I got a card table, and set up a craft corner in my dining room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:43 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Can you use just a corner/wall of the guest room? It wouldnt take much space really. I have viewed some similiar to this in the gallery. One corner, nicely organized would work and I doubt your guests would care that they are sharing the room w/your scrap space :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

We are in an apartment for another 3 months...I also have 2 small children, the older of which is a cross between Houdidi and Evil Kinevil...so all my stuff is in my hall closet with a lock..

Stamp pads/color wheel/colored pencils in a tupperware type handled box

Stamps/adhesives/larger punches/catalogs in a white plastic cart with drawers...used to have wheels, but the weight of all the stamps snapped them off...it's a nightmare to move.

Paper is all in a milk crate with hanging folders...sorted by family & 3 colors per folder

EVERYTHING else is in as wheeled crop suitcase type thing with drawers.

I have to haul it all out to the dining room after the babes are asleep and put it all away at around 3am when I get too pooped to play anymore.

BUT>>>>> in 3 months we close on our first home and I have a room all to myself!!!( and a pool, and a hot tub on the deck!!!)

So here it is....hijack a closet, make it all yours, then using that guest bedroom is not too bad, keep everything stored nicely and it should be ok. HAVE FUN!!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I started out I also had to take over a closet - it was the under the stairs space actually! I would open the door and use the dinning table to crop on - I was only into scrapbooking at that time! I have outgrown all our closets and am using the formal dinning room now but that is another story - if I did not have that space I would use a portion of the Master Bedroom or Guest room and an unused linen closet or bedroom closet - Somewhere I have seen a closet turned into a nice little space I think it was in a Creating Keepsakes magazine....they put a worksurface in and some extra shelves and there you have a workspace!

Good luck!
Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #6  
The Digi-Freak

Our bedroom is divide in 3rds (we have a huge bedroom, so this works well for us).... one third is dh's computer area and our diaper changing area .... one third is bed/tv/bookshelves... one third is my stamping area

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

This company makes furniture specifically to hold stamping/scrapbooking supplies. It isn't designed to be a work area, but is storage that looks like its furniture. Maybe something like this would work so that at least everything could be in one place when you're not stamping. Good luck!

http://www.collectors-cabinets.com/c...sp?catid=23283
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:26 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

This company makes furniture specifically to hold stamping/scrapbooking supplies. It isn't designed to be a work area, but is storage that looks like its furniture. Maybe something like this would work so that at least everything could be in one place when you're not stamping. Good luck!

http://www.collectors-cabinets.com/c...sp?catid=23283
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:27 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have the same dilema. For now I have my stuff stored in a rolling cart w/drawers in the corner of the living room. It doesn't all fit into the cart, so I also have a few storage containers that I sit beside the cart. Whenever I want to stamp I have to pull out the card table and drag all of my stuff out. It's inconvenient, but at least it's getting me in the habit of putting away my stuff as soon as I am done with it. :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:34 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Group Leader

For the longest time this worked for me... I bought an armoire for $200 at a Railroad salvage. It was supposed to hold clothes and had a bar for hanging clothes and another set of doors below and when you opened that there was a big space and a drawer. I had this in the corner of my formal living room and could shut the doors on the mess. I would just set up a chair and table next to it and open it and everything I needed was right there in reach. Now it is downstairs being used for the same thing but I have also expanded to a bookshelf and table that is always in place.

You could use a computer hutch, a dining room corner cupboard, an armoire or even bookshelves if you wanted to make panels of fabric tied up with ribbons that you would drop dwon when you want to hide it all. If you have a local Office Depot they usually have a scratch and dent area in the back and you can get some great deals on things there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:36 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have a long computer desk in my living room. Not the most attractive, but it is working. I found it at an office supply. It is 5 feet long and has a long shelf above the work surface that is a kind of box that closes. It is great cause it is long enough to fit scanner and printer on one end and stampin supplies on the other. It has built in lights. Actually I'm getting it today. I've been working on a six foot folding table thing which is not ideal.

If you can't have a room, at least find a really functional desk to put somewhere. If you budget is small, to go a used office supply to find the desk. I made a list of my needs before I went. I have small children, so having my pads in a pad holder is not really a good idea. I keep most supplies in an iris cart beside the desk.

If your budget is larger, look into something called a "computer credenza." They are GOREGEOUS and they have tons of storage. They fold away to look like a beautiful bureau.

I had to trade out my large entertainment center in my living room for a smaller one to get my desk in there. We live in a way small house. But my stampin space gives me so much pleasure, I don't regret giving my entertainment center to my mom for a second. Besides, she likes it.

Good Luck on creating some small area to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

My husband and I converted our guest room closet into a stamping space for me. Complete with desk top and shelves. When I'm not stamping I just close it up.

Visit My Blog : Granite State Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Mine too is in the guest room. I have 1/2 the closet PACKED with supplies, fabric, stamps, embellishments, TONS of stuff! I also have a small desk that has my sewing machine, a basket with liner for chalks, scrub, pencils...stuff I use a lot, and a small drawered unit (from target) for much used things like mono, tags, glue dots, and other things. I don't have much space at all, so I am VERY orginized! Helps keep things clutter free. I also have a piece of thin wood (I think fiberboard, leftovers from DH) that covers 1/2 the guest bed. I also work there. It keeps the bed clean, and allows me a firm stamping place. When we have guests, I simply stash it under the bed!

Hope you figure out something! I have tons in a small space...but like I said, orginization is the key!

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I have the same dilema. For now I have my stuff stored in a rolling cart w/drawers in the corner of the living room. It doesn't all fit into the cart, so I also have a few storage containers that I sit beside the cart. Whenever I want to stamp I have to pull out the card table and drag all of my stuff out. It's inconvenient, but at least it's getting me in the habit of putting away my stuff as soon as I am done with it. :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

i recommend that you use the guest room and take advantage of the space under the bed for storage. with the rubbermaid boxes on wheels you could easily origanize and roll under the bed when not in use. if you can make room for a desk you then have your table top for working. i recently had to turn my daughters room back into her living space when she returned home from college before getting married 3 months later. it was hard because all the stamping supplies had to be moved out of her room. during the 3 months time i used a card table in the living room with a pc of funiture next to it that had draws where i stored the sets and supplies. it worked well for the short time that i had to use it. good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

use the guest room and take advantage of the space under the bed for storage. with the rubbermaid boxes on wheels you could easily origanize and roll under the bed when not in use. if you can make room for a desk in the guest room you then have your table top for working. i recently had to turn my daughters room back into her living space when she returned home from college before getting married 3 months later. it was hard because all the stamping supplies had to be moved out of her room. during the 3 months time i used a card table in the living room with a pc of funiture next to it that had draws where i stored the sets and supplies. it worked well for the short time that i had to use it. good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

i would recommend using your guest room and take advantage of the space under the bed for storage. use the rubbermaid storage containers with wheels and slide under the bed. you can organize and pull out only the container you need. if you have a desk in the room you have your work surface or get a card table that can be easily broken down and stored out of the way when guest arrive. i recently had to take my daughters room and convert it back into living space for her. she returned home from college and 3 months later got married. during that time i used a card table in the living room and a pc. of furniture with drawers to store the supplies. it worked well. now that she's married i get her room again. good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a craft desk by Sauder that I have set up in the guest room. The desk top is normal desk size, but has a fold up part that doubles the size when needed (the desk has casters so you can pull it out from the wall if you want to fold the flap up). It has shelves on one side and drawers on the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a craft desk by Sauder that I have set up in the guest room. The desk top is normal desk size, but has a fold up part that doubles the size when needed (the desk has casters so you can pull it out from the wall if you want to fold the flap up). It has shelves on one side and drawers on the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Wow great suggestions above. I don't have my own craft room but hope to someday - may have to wait til kid #1 goes off to college! Right now I have all my stuff on a shelf in my master walk-in closet and take it out when I work on a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Ooooh!!! Perhaps an armoire in the guest room! If they end up liking to stamp, then you have a new customer!!! LOL -- Just a thought!!

The armoires with the table that flips down would be nice -- don't know how sturdy they are - but they're not too expenive compared to adding on a room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I had the same problem. For a while I used an area in our spare bedroom - but... surprise, that is now baby number 3's room. I was at a loss for where to go... so I set up a long six foot table (like the folding plastic top ones from SAMS) in our sunroom/office. We sewed a skirt for around the table and added braided cording to give it a finished look. I attached it to the table with velcro (sew one side...use the sticky kind for the table). I have it open in the front of the table in the center so I can easily pull the velcro off and look underneath.

Underneath I bought tons of those sterlite plastic shoebox containers for all my supplies and labeled the front so it was easy to see (ex. a seperate box for reinkers, punches, ribbon, wheels, eyelets, ect...). I slide two longer containers in front that I put my SU stamp sets standing up longwise in, without the lid. When I'm stamping, I can pull out what I need and easily get to everything, but when I finished - I can hide it all under the skirt.

I do leave a few things organized on top of the table that I always use - stamp pads, papercutter, ect...

I think you could easily claim a corner of your guest room for stamping. Hummm, lets see... stamping or guests - no contest - lose the guests, start stamping!!! Hee - Hee!!

I hope I didn't ramble on too long! Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

when I didn't have my own space I kept a box w/enough supplies to make quick cards (precut cardstock, a few spamp pads, or spots, one set, a few sayings and glue) that way when everything had to be put away, I could still make a quick card. every month swap out the colors and sets in the box.
now we have a great space in the garage. when it's too hot or cold I bring supplies into the family room, then return them. but I really like working at my desk and shelves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

welcome to my world :( I use an area of the extra bedroom for storage and use the kitchen table to work on.....did I mention that we have 3 closets total, 3 small children, and basically no room for any type of hidden storage (under the beds is already used!) When you come to my house it's hard to determine if we may be a toy store or a stamp store!

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, guys! The ideas you've posted are GREAT... I really like the idea of utilizing the space under the bed - right now, like I said, all my stuff is either on the dining room table or in the home office - and it looks a frightful mess! :lol:

Keep those great ideas coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:59 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

For a long time I used a drawer in my sideboard in the dining room. I have moved most of my stuff to the guest room in rolling storage carts bc I have outgrown my drawer, but I mostly stamp at the dining room table after the kids have gone to sleep. I keep current projects in that drawer. Maybe you could find a nice dresser or piece of furniture that would fit into your dining room or kitchen (or any room) to keep your supplies in?

It was great incentive to glean my tablecloths and napkins too. Stamps are so much more important! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:01 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

For a long time I used a drawer in my sideboard in the dining room. I have moved most of my stuff to the guest room in rolling storage carts bc I have outgrown my drawer, but I mostly stamp at the dining room table after the kids have gone to sleep. I still keep current projects in that drawer. Maybe you could find a nice dresser or piece of furniture that would fit into your dining room or kitchen (or any room) to keep your supplies in?

It was great incentive to glean my tablecloths and napkins too. Stamps are so much more important! :lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

i had the same problem until my wonderful friend bought me the sauder sewing and craft cart. she got it at walmart. it's really pretty and under $100. to see it, go to http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...duct_id1984564. if that link doesn't work, go to walmart.com and enter craft desk in the search field. it will pop right up! i keep this in my unused formal living room. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Location: I'm a member of the divine secret sister witness protection program!

Ok... I know how you feel. While trying to figure out what I was doing (long story) I found a great way to keep my stuff in the dining room without it looking like mass chaos. Target carries two things that are inexpensive and look nice... Iris carts and wire cubes. I bought two Iris carts (they happened to be on sale, but normally they are $14.99), I managed to get my stamping stuff in them. I have six drawners, lol 4 of them hold stamp sets, one for ink and the other one for misc. stuff. Then I constructed the cubes... not the way they show them but I managed to get three cubes, using the left over pieces you take tie wraps and make them into shelves. I now have great storage and can get to my paper easily. The best part is I can get my stuff out, use it and put it away very quickly! It's the best.... But.... Monday (I know have figured out what I'm doing) I actually get my own stamping room! My DBF is painting it this weekend and we'll move my furniture into it... now I'll have my own space to craft and work!!! (Pictures will be posted soon)

HTH
SCS member #16986
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:31 AM   #30  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I also use a spot on our dining room table... they can still eat at 3 places ;) so I don't hear much complaining.. but if company comes I gotta get it all put away again :( Soon very soon I will have more space
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui
i had the same problem until my wonderful friend bought me the sauder sewing and craft cart. she got it at walmart. it's really pretty and under $100. to see it, go to http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...duct_id1984564. if that link doesn't work, go to walmart.com and enter craft desk in the search field. it will pop right up! i keep this in my unused formal living room. good luck!
Jacqui! Thank you so much - this is perfect! It's not too expensive, and if it gets left out, it isn't the end of the world. :lol: Best of all, I am a SEWER, too!
Reply With Quote Likes