Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2005, 03:13 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI

Let me just see if I understand this correctly....

You visit various websites or belong to various Yahoo type groups and save the cards on your computer and then use those cards on your website?

If that is what you are saying, I think you need to think really hard about this. In the case where SU gives permission for you to copy from their showcase that is fine because you have their permission. In order to do it from any other website, you would need their permission, which they may or may not give. Even if you did have permission from the other website, their "privacy" policy would come into play. If they obtained artwork from an artist saying that they wanted it for use on that particular website they have no right allowing another website creator to copy those images for use on another website. If however the artist gave a blanket authorization for their artwork to be used by other websites than that would be OK but I would venture to guess that didn't happen (not because they didn't want to give it but because they weren't asked that). Does that make sense?

As much as I love my artwork to be displayed and CASED, I would not be happy if I found my artwork on a site that I didn't give permision to. If you CASE and then display it I wouldn't have as big as an issue (although I would like credit )

So I guess I would do some more research on the legalities of taking an image off a website if that is what you are doing
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by azprincess
But... if you took an image of someone else's card that they created and used it on a website, I think technically it's copyright infringement. This is the same if you are using someone else's quote on a card or scrapbook page. The item is their creation and you really need their permission to use it (in most cases).

But... all the above controversy can be avoided if you just get the person's permission in the first place. KWIM?
This is correct. There was a recent thread on SCS about this and I learned something about copyrighting I did not know. If you are the creator of a work of art you hold the copyright -- you don't have to apply for one for this to be so. Anyone interested in reading more about this should check out what Lisa has to say about this. http://www.lisavollrath.com/lisa/e004.html

In another similar thread:

[quote="stampysister"]However, casing is how artists learn. First they copy poorly, then they copy well, then they branch out and try something on their own and soon they are the ones everyone is CASING. It is a natural progession. Anyone who has taken a class in art knows this.[quote]

So what does all this mean? IMHO it means that we must be as responsibe as we can when it comes to CASEING. We all need and want to CASE. This is how we continue to grow and how we gain inspiration. When I post my work I hope that someone out there will be inspired in some small way to want to CASE it and I am flattered when they do. But I also expect that I will be given credit when this happens.

As a general rule I don't post out on the internet work I have CASED. However, I do post work I have created that was INSPIRED by someone else. And this work does end up on my website with a notation that the card or design was INSPIRED by "Jane x" but created or stamped by me.

When it comes to swapping I don't swap cards I have cased. These cards can end up on Convention Boards, on Stampers Showcase and I have no control over giving the real artist proper credit when this does happen. However I sometimes do demonstrate and do "Make n'Takes" with CASED artwork. And in these instances I always let my customers know who the original artist is. I even print labels and put them on the back of the cardstock for make n'takes listing the recipe along with the original artists name. By doing this when my customers case these designs and pass them along they know who they are caseing and hopefully they will too give the original artist credit.

When I comes to saving others artwork on my computer I always rename the file and include the artists name and in many cases -- their email address. It takes a little more time to do this but I have found it to be very worthwhile. If I decide later I would like to include their work on my website I at least know who created the card and who to contact to ask permission. And should their work inspire me in some way to create something of my own -- I can contact them and let them know and send them a copy of the work I created as a THANK YOU!

We all want to do the right thing. And I believe we all will. We have all made mistakes in the past regarding CASEING mostly out of ignorance. I know I have. Discussions like these all help to educate us in this "Digital Age" of sharing the works of art we all love to create and pass on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:23 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Stamper_Jamie

I totally CASEd all of your 6x6 scapbook pages done with Paint Prints (I didn't have the same colors avail. so I used Choc. Chip, Creamy Caramel, Cameo Coral and US Vanilla). It made an incredible set sampler! In fact one of my customers took it with her to Montana last month - she just had to show her friends and family!!!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread....just thought Stamper_Jamie should know how great her work is!

M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

This casing/downloading thing, I think, is an issue that will not have a solid solution. Once something is posted on the internet it seems to travel at warp speed. I was in the process of posting several things to a site once and before I finished I received an email from another local demo friend who had recieved an email from someone she knew in another state telling her "love this!" My friend recognized it as mine and contacted me...it was truly funny! I once was given a list by a friend of several websites to check out. I told her I didn't have the time and she said just look at some. I randomly picked one, and this was a long list, clicked on a stamp set category I knew I had and to my amazement...there was one of my cards...what are the chances...I contacted the the person to just inquire how they got it...it was downloaded from another site and posted by someone other than her. She was very apoligetic and actually had the person that posted it contact me. That person explained she had downloaded several she liked, but couldn't remember the names of all the people that had made the cards. I was not mad...it happens...We even had a laugh about it and have exchanged cards by mail...It just amazed me that out of all the websites out there, I happened to run across it. I guess my point is...once you post something you basically have lost control of where it ends up. I know there are people on Ebay selling CD's of samples...where do you think they are getting them...swaps, websites, etc. Sometimes I wake up with an idea and now wonder...is it something I have seen that is stuck in the recesses of my mind...I know we all look at hundreds if not thousands of samples...how can you really be sure what is original or sort of pieced together in your mind from certain color combos, layouts, etc. you have seen. I would hate to see people afraid to post things, because they are afraid now it might not be an original idea. Shoot, I have seen things posted before that are copied right out of a Stampin' Up! catalog. We are all at different levels of creativity. If we expect our customers to learn by copying...can we expect less of ourselves. I think the best you can do to 'protect' your work if you want to, is to place your name on your photo/scan... or not post it. But real treasures are meant to be shared...I just think, like the Ebay issue...this is a hard one to control. Just my thoughts.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

This casing/downloading thing, I think, is an issue that will not have a solid solution. Once something is posted on the internet it seems to travel at warp speed. I was in the process of posting several things to a site once and before I finished I received an email from another local demo friend who had recieved an email from someone she knew in another state telling her "love this!" My friend recognized it as mine and contacted me...it was truly funny! I once was given a list by a friend of several websites to check out. I told her I didn't have the time and she said just look at some. I randomly picked one, and this was a long list, clicked on a stamp set category I knew I had and to my amazement...there was one of my cards...what are the chances...I contacted the the person to just inquire how they got it...it was downloaded from another site and posted by someone other than her. She was very apoligetic and actually had the person that posted it contact me. That person explained she had downloaded several she liked, but couldn't remember the names of all the people that had made the cards. I was not mad...it happens...We even had a laugh about it and have exchanged cards by mail...It just amazed me that out of all the websites out there, I happened to run across it. I guess my point is...once you post something you basically have lost control of where it ends up. I know there are people on Ebay selling CD's of samples...where do you think they are getting them...swaps, websites, etc. Sometimes I wake up with an idea and now wonder...is it something I have seen that is stuck in the recesses of my mind...I know we all look at hundreds if not thousands of samples...how can you really be sure what is original or sort of pieced together in your mind from certain color combos, layouts, etc. you have seen. I would hate to see people afraid to post things, because they are afraid now it might not be an original idea. Shoot, I have seen things posted before that are copied right out of a Stampin' Up! catalog. We are all at different levels of creativity. If we expect our customers to learn by copying...can we expect less of ourselves. I think the best you can do to 'protect' your work if you want to, is to place your name on your photo/scan... or not post it. But real treasures are meant to be shared...I just think, like the Ebay issue...this is a hard one to control. Just my thoughts.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Reply With Quote Likes