Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scrappers - help with stamps

Hi all -
One of the reasons I love this site is I need help in using my stamps in my scrapbooks. I am not much of a card maker (yet) but I scrap up a storm. I love to BUY stamps, but I don't use them as much as I would like.
How do you use your stamps in your scrapbooks? I guess I need a jumpstart!

Vicki
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a combined scrapper/stamper for about 6 years now...a scrapper before that. I would suggest two easy ways to get started stamping in your scrapbooks.

1. Buy an alphabet set (if you don't already have one), and some ink spots (if you're short on ink pads) and use the alphabet to do some titles on your pages. You can get 12 colors for only $21.50.

2. Use small stamps to make borders for your pages. You can stamp small stamps at intervals and use dots or dashes to connect them into a border.

Your creativity will flow from there!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree about the alphabet stamps. They are great for scrappin' - no running out of the letter E.

Also, you can stamp an image and use that as an accent on your page.

I too have a hard time getting my stamps into my scrapbooks, but I am getting better at it. A great place to get some ideas is in the Scrapbook Gallery here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I make my own background paper with my stamps. That way I can match the paper with my pictures and cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use them to make my own background paper too. I also use them as pseudo-diecuts. Have you seen all the samples in the gallery? There should be a lot there to get you started with some ideas. Also, have you thought about joining a swap? You'll just need to come up with one idea and make a number of identical layouts. Send them off to a swap hostess, and you'll get a layout from each of the other swap participants in return. It's a great way to get more ideas!

Dejah (janz)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love, love, love the new jumbo wheels - I make my own background papers with these (and of course the wheel guide). I also like to use some of the smaller sketch type stamps (like Sketch an Event) to versamark a background on my SU cardstock. I just finished a page of my family and me at our local Starbucks and used the little coffee beans from Espresso Yourself and the cup from Sketch an Event for a really simple page, but it was cute!.

Of course the alphabets - that's a given! I am totally in love with the colalge alphabet - no more having to line up the letters with that one!!

Almost anything you can put on a card you can incorporate into your scrapbook pages (as long as the techniques are acid free and archival safe of course). I use the bigger stamps (Summer by the Sea - on sale!!), and watercolor it, mount it and use it on my pages.

Have fun - we would love to see what you come up with ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Our gallery has Tons of samples. Basically anything you can do to a card, you can do to a scrap page. From simply stamping, coloring, and using as an accent to creating complicated stamping techniques to use on an altered tag.

If you haven't donated to this site yet, you might consider doing so. They have the DD gallery, which has a great section on tag art, a great resource for scrappers.

Check out pat stamps http://www.stampingscrapbookers.com/ She has a good gallery available to all with some nice samples catagorized by different techniques.

Finally, Memory Makers magazine had a special issue this January called stamping and scrapping. http://www.memorymakersmagazine.com/...5&CategoryID=8 It is awsome. It is filled with TONS of ideas, all pages done using stamps in scrapbooking. It was only $10. I use it constantly for ideas.

Good luck and happy scrapping.
[/url]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:37 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

great for backgrounds. the alphabets are awesome for titles. and i'm thinking those little alphabits would be pretty cute in little brag books! or maybe even for highlighting portions of journaling? like spelling out a name with them instead of writing it in? i've not played with them yet but they are on my wish list!

i guess i'm not real innovative, but i use mine about like i would a sticker or die-cut, just stamp instead! i also use phrases like i would rub-ons--really nice to have markers for this, i can use portions of the stamps instead of the entire thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 AM   #9  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

I've stamped and scrapbooked for several years - but typically, the crafts never meet. I'm still trying to figure out how to do more stamping in my books. I love the look of versamark, and LOVE the idea of making background paper for my books. I'm going to do that!

My daughter also scrapbooks. So she takes the cards I send her (she's been away at college), and uses them in her books. Most of the time, she takes the cards apart and uses pieces... it's always funny to me to see what she's done, because I just don't "see" it! :o
Old 03-23-2005, 05:21 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

LOVE this group! Thanks for so many good ideas --- I have used my stamps occasionally (like once) to do background paper. I do use alphabet stamps for titles ... so I guess I use my stamps more than I think I do.
I am going to check out the links you have provided for more ideas. keep sending those tips -- I love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:28 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
I've stamped and scrapbooked for several years - but typically, the crafts never meet. I'm still trying to figure out how to do more stamping in my books. I love the look of versamark, and LOVE the idea of making background paper for my books. I'm going to do that!
Glad I'm not alone! Isn't it funny how difficult it can be to mesh these two crafts? It makes great sense to integrate them ... get more bang for your buck ... but I have trouble making that connection. I did use my alphabet stamps yesterday to do a title. When I do that I usually put each letter on it's only square or circle of cardstock. Yesterday I stamped the word on one piece of cardstock - took me forever to get it even reasonably straight! I must have done it over about 10 times!! If I had done it any other way, computer printed - sticker letters, etc, I would ahve been done in a minute.
Guess this old dog is having trouble learning new tricks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with all of the previous replies. I probably use my alphabet stamps the most in my scrapbooks. Autumn Leaves is coming out with a new book called "Designing with Stamping" that is going to be all about stamping in your scrapbook. I think it's supposed to be available in April. You might want to check that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:36 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with all of the previous replies. I probably use my alphabet stamps the most in my scrapbooks. Autumn Leaves is coming out with a new book called "Designing with Stamping" that is going to be all about stamping in your scrapbook. I think it's supposed to be available in April. You might want to check that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:58 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check out the One Sheet Wonders in the gallery. There are a lot that they used for scrapbook pages. Especially for the 6 x 6 size. This would be an especially fast way to make a gift album.

I really can't add any more uses than what the others have said, except maybe creating a tag embellishment for the page. Or to decorate a pocket for a pocket page. Create a scenic bottom border with a set like "Lovely as a Tree" for an outdoor page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:06 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I have stopped using stickers in my scrapbooks and stamps have taken over! I love the many different looks you can get with stamping in your scrapbooks. You can really pull together a whole theme with your stamps.

I recently did a tooth fairy page with the Pretty Princess set. Too cute! I too stamp backgrounds, stamp and cut my images to make die cuts and stamp on tags.

A few tips on stamping titles:

You don't always have to line them up straight. I purposely tilt my alphabet stamps to get a whimsical look.

You can stamp your letters on card stock and them punch them out with our circle punches, square punches or concave or convex square punches. Then lining up isn't a worry.

When trying to line them up it is a good idea to first stamp your title on scratch paper. Our grid paper works great for this! Then when it comes time to stamp your title you will know how much room it will take and you can line up your title so it is centered.

Some of the alphabet sets are easier to line up than others. I find that Brushstroke Alphabet is easy to line up. Simple type is harder to line up. It must be the font.

I use a straight piece of card stock under my letters as I stamp to help line them up straight.

This is what has worked well for me.

Give it a try!

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I should be forthright and say that I only "want" to scrap....so far I've made 1 12x12 and 1 6x6 page, lol! However, Ive been a stamper for several years now. Aside from the alphabets, which seem obvious, I guess I always imagined that anywhere a sticker or diecut would work, a stamped image would do the same thing. Only, you can use it over and over again, unlike a sticker that's only available to use once!

I agree with others who have suggested the scrapbooking gallery here...lots of good ideas!

Hugs,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Default Stamps in Scrapbooks

Okay...here is a link to my webshots gallery....there are several galleries of artwork there featuring swaps that I hostessed (*no*, didn't do all of that great stuff myself!) Those might give you some ideas of creative ways to use your stamps. There were some *TALENTED* ladies that participated in those swaps!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/get_inky

Its more than an understatement to say that I don't post anywhere *near* the amount that I create. To do so is just time prohibitive because alas, I am not yet on a DSL connection. One of my great things to use stamps for: aging and distressing. Nothing quite does it like a stamp - Canvas background and French Script being two of my *faves* that come to mind.

I also *love* a technique that Faye Morrow Bell shared in her "Scrapbooking At Home" book: She uses a circle punch (and I have since used other large, negative-space punches of other shapes) as a template...and stamps right over the space. Lift it up: voila! you have a wonderful shaped "medallion" of a larger stamped image. It's a *really* cool effect.

Hope this info helps! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8
I did use my alphabet stamps yesterday to do a title. When I do that I usually put each letter on it's only square or circle of cardstock. Yesterday I stamped the word on one piece of cardstock - took me forever to get it even reasonably straight! I must have done it over about 10 times!! If I had done it any other way, computer printed - sticker letters, etc, I would ahve been done in a minute.
Guess this old dog is having trouble learning new tricks!
It is SO worth investing in the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig!! It makes lining everything up so much easier, and it's also a great way to create borders on your page with small image stamps. By the way, I cut 7 squares of vellum, approx 2" each, and stamp them with the entire alphabet rather than using the sheet with the SAMJ each time. It takes a little longer up front, but will save you loads of time and frustration. The other nice thing about doing this is that I can get a rough idea of just how long/wide my word will be, although it may be slightly murky after I layer up all my vellum. HTH!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I punched out one 1 1/2 inch square of each of the SU paper colors. I punched a hole and put them on a ring. I start scrappping by looking at the colors in my pictures, using my ring of colors and finding matching SU colors. I generally pick two or three colors, then pick the appropriate stamp set. Stamp the background, embelishments and Wallah! Stamping is the only way to scrapbook!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 08:53 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

hi vicki

when i first started scrap booking it was with cm, i had not heard of su until about a year ago. now i love su you can do so many things with the stamps. i have the cm books all white pages so i just stamp right on them. so far i have had good luck with using the versamark and pastels,
also i stamp with black and use the waterpaint pencils. I make all of my own die cuts now and where would you be without the alphbet sets. You just have to think that your stamps are stickers that you can use over and change the look of them, then your all set to go. Just keep trying and you will get it them you won't want to quit. thats what happen to me.

marsha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I considered myself a scrapper until I found SU then I was a cad maker now I am a.. well.. a scramper! I have used my stamps in almost every layout I have done in the last 6 months. I do most of my titles in alphas, mix journaling with some stamps like the Every Day Flexible Phrases or stamp the first letter of a sentence, cut out a stamp like I would use a die cut, versa mark lots of backgrounds. I believe I am just repeating most of what everyone else has already mentioned but.. I make alot of tags and use them on many layouts. In my smaller books (6X6-8X I do borders, toppers and corners. If there is ever anything I don't use a stamp on you can bet I will at LEAST ink the edges! lol Just have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I've heard the term "stampbooking" used and I like that!! I am a scrapbooker only and do not get into doing any of the many other things you can do with stamps. I love all of them and the ideas posted on here ALMOST make me want to do some of the cards, gift bags, etc....but I really have plenty to keep me busy with the scrapbooking!! Anyway...as many others have already stated...I LOVE the alphabet stamps for scrapbooking...and the background stamps. I really try to only buy sets that are "scrapbook-friendly". There are so many beautiful sets that are specific to a holiday or an occasion, but I try to stay away from buying those because are you going to want to use the same stamp set on every Christmas page? The wheels are great for making your own background paper and so many of the accessories like eyelets and ribbons can be used in scrapbooking. And, of course, the fact that your paper color can match your stamp color, can match your marker color, etc..... :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

It is SO worth investing in the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig!! It makes lining everything up so much easier, and it's also a great way to create borders on your page with small image stamps. By the way, I cut 7 squares of vellum, approx 2" each, and stamp them with the entire alphabet rather than using the sheet with the SAMJ each time. It takes a little longer up front, but will save you loads of time and frustration. The other nice thing about doing this is that I can get a rough idea of just how long/wide my word will be, although it may be slightly murky after I layer up all my vellum. HTH![/quote]

OMG! I already HAVE a SAMJ! I TOTALLY forgot about it! Thanks for refreshing my memory -- and LOVE the tip with the vellum - I would have never thought of that on my own! Thanks !!

And Thanks to all that have shared such great ideas! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes