Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #1  
Bold and Bright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you stamp for the men in your life?

So, I"m REALLY broke this year, but I have TONS of paper and such to make stamped Christmas presents with. I'm doing cookbooks from my swaps for the ladies, notecard holders for the girls, but I have NO IDEA what to get for the men in my life.

Does anyone know projects that are fairly cost-effective I could make for the men? I'm drawing a blank here, and somehow, ribbon, bows, and glitter just doesn't do it for them (why I don't know!!)

Help!! Please and thanks!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I transformed a spiral book and put pockets and such in it so my DH could keep track of his golf scores. I sectioned the book off based on the different golf courses he plays so he can keep it organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #3  
Bold and Bright

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampingwithkids
I transformed a spiral book and put pockets and such in it so my DH could keep track of his golf scores. I sectioned the book off based on the different golf courses he plays so he can keep it organized.

OH cool....great idea...I'll have to think about that one. I know a computer geek, a mechanic, another mechanic....but no golfers (serious ones). That is a great thought though...did you post a pic of it in the gallery?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I've been struggling with this issue as well. I've made some "manly" picture frames (stamped and using patterned paper and embellishments) - for example, I made a football frame and used the EK Success NFL stickets/embellishments and I made a frame for a male co-worker who is in a bowling league using bowling patterned paper and the Jolees bowling embellishments. For DH I want to make a little 6x6 album with the A-Z theme about us and our relationship (using the SU Headline Alphabet to stamp each page and then just journal and embellish and add the occasional photo). I also stamped some thank you notes for my BIL who recently had a graduation party and needs to write thank yous. HTH. Share what you come up with or end up doing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For the last two years, I've sent family members cards from the same set. I just made them look more "boyish" for the men and boys. I make cards for work too and use Classic Pick Ups, Lovely As A Tree, Bird stamps or Toy Box for the men. I'm thinking that for 2007, I'll use Classic Pick Ups for my family members too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I've read about folks giving manly cooking spices (like for bbqing) and such, either made by you and wrapped and stamped, or bought and packaged by you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I got some note cubes to stamp for my men, but haven't done it yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Almost forgot, if you know any board game geeks, a decorated notebook for keeping scores, etc. in is a cool idea. I found an example when I was doing a search in the gallery for bingo. Also, if the guys are in fantasy leagues (football, etc.) a little book for that might be handy, or possibly a subscription to the service that automatically tracks their points as they occur. My DH is in a fantasy football league and is always using little scraps of paper to track his and his opponent's points on Sundays.

come to think of it, that point tracker subscription might be somethng my DH would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Red face

OMG, I obviously didn't read the OP's complete post. Sorry for horning in with a goofy response. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

What about making CD holders? Maybe even including a custom CD made by you? If you know their favorites you could make one of those and include it in a custom stamped case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a wine or beer journal (if the guys are in to that). I bought my BF one at the Target Dollar Spot as a tiny addition to his present, and he LOVES the thing! He's really diligent about writing all of the wines in there. You could take an inexpensive journal and convert it into a wine journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

How about coasters? Plaque for holding keys? Little box for nightstand to hold change? Decorated "honey do" list pad? (oops, I guess that would be for the guys' wives!)

The spiral notebook idea is a great one for my computer geek husband, and might be for your computer geek too. He loves to play online role-playing games, and he could use a notebook for keeping codes, tracking quests he's on, contacts he's made of other players, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Here is an altered clipboard I made for my dd future father in law. It has a large magnet on the back to put on his file cabinet at work. Most men I show it to think it is neat. Just one idea....

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

hth,

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #14  
Bold and Bright

Default THIS IS PERFECT

Quote:

Originally Posted by bemidjibelle
Here is an altered clipboard I made for my dd future father in law. It has a large magnet on the back to put on his file cabinet at work. Most men I show it to think it is neat. Just one idea....

hth,

Sue
LOve love love it!! I also sent it to my friend at work who is a SU Demo...she loves it too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #15  
Bold and Bright

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Almost forgot, if you know any board game geeks, a decorated notebook for keeping scores, etc. in is a cool idea. I found an example when I was doing a search in the gallery for bingo. Also, if the guys are in fantasy leagues (football, etc.) a little book for that might be handy, or possibly a subscription to the service that automatically tracks their points as they occur. My DH is in a fantasy football league and is always using little scraps of paper to track his and his opponent's points on Sundays.

come to think of it, that point tracker subscription might be somethng my DH would like.

Glad I could help, Mel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh my gosh, I just forgot about what I did for my dad's birthday last year. He has a December birthday and it hard to buy for, so I made him something. When he turned 65 last year, I figured he was old enough to have everything he wanted or have the ability to get what he wanted. Thus, I gave him a new tradition. I started a tradition of me decorating a 12 x 12 canvas (from Canvas Concepts) like you would a scrapbook page. I "always" do a Christmas theme. I then put in pics of my niece and nephew (his grandkids) and started the tradition of doing a "page" for the wall every year that shows his grandkids and that he can use every year as part of his Christmas decorations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

hth,

Sue
Your clipboard is awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

That clipboard is great. Did you make that gadget holding the pen? Want to make a couple.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You could do the Post It Note holder using the acrylic photo frames and matching pen. Or make a set of cards for them to send to their wives, girlfriends, mothers. Guys are always buying birthday, anniversary, valentine cards the last minute. You could make a masculine portfolio with the cards and matching envelopes and tags(for gifts). You could also decorate a few rolls of plain gift wrap (Pg 204 in catalog) or gift bags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I made my brother a decorated "cookie can" (gallon paint can). Along with it I included a stamped tag that said the cookie jar was "bottomless and refillable" for a year.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #21  
Bold and Bright

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikaren
Oh my gosh, I just forgot about what I did for my dad's birthday last year. He has a December birthday and it hard to buy for, so I made him something. When he turned 65 last year, I figured he was old enough to have everything he wanted or have the ability to get what he wanted. Thus, I gave him a new tradition. I started a tradition of me decorating a 12 x 12 canvas (from Canvas Concepts) like you would a scrapbook page. I "always" do a Christmas theme. I then put in pics of my niece and nephew (his grandkids) and started the tradition of doing a "page" for the wall every year that shows his grandkids and that he can use every year as part of his Christmas decorations.

That is really, really cool!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungojerry
OMG, I obviously didn't read the OP's complete post. Sorry for horning in with a goofy response. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif[/IMG]
mungojerry, this really made me laugh! I think the words "horning in with a goofy response" just hit my funny bone!!!!! Thanks for making me smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well my situtation is a little different. I have stamped my DH a few things. He is a soldier so each thing I have stamped him have had something to do with (or have been because of) deployements. I did two journals for him (used spiral notebooks - pics in my gallery) with the Godspeed set. And I did a "scrapbook" for him. His family wasn't able to come see him the last time he deployed so I did a page in the scrapbook for each of his family members. Each persons page had a pic of them (or for the married siblings it was of thier little family) and a message to DH. It was just a little 6x6 bragbook size so that he could keep it in his drawer without taking up too much space. he was able to pull it out whenever he was feeling lonely and look at it and read the words of encouragement from all of us. I know that didn't really help you out but that's what I've done for the man in my life. ;)

Hi Melinda btw!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtax
I got some note cubes to stamp for my men, but haven't done it yet...
Did that for DH. Her likes them but perfers sticky notes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersma
I made my brother a decorated "cookie can" (gallon paint can). Along with it I included a stamped tag that said the cookie jar was "bottomless and refillable" for a year.

Jane
What a great idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrown8301
Well my situtation is a little different. I have stamped my DH a few things. He is a soldier so each thing I have stamped him have had something to do with (or have been because of) deployements. I did two journals for him (used spiral notebooks - pics in my gallery) with the Godspeed set. And I did a "scrapbook" for him. His family wasn't able to come see him the last time he deployed so I did a page in the scrapbook for each of his family members. Each persons page had a pic of them (or for the married siblings it was of thier little family) and a message to DH. It was just a little 6x6 bragbook size so that he could keep it in his drawer without taking up too much space. he was able to pull it out whenever he was feeling lonely and look at it and read the words of encouragement from all of us. I know that didn't really help you out but that's what I've done for the man in my life. ;)

Hi Melinda btw!
What a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleWilliams
Did that for DH. He likes them but prefers sticky notes
So I can't spell and keep the kids out of my stamping stuff at the same time! SIGN of OLD age:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

what about a name frame of a favorite sports team? or school team?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkaIsMyCat
That is really, really cool!!
Thanks! I actually took a class and did the first one (I changed the design a bit too), and thought, what will I use this for? Then I came up with the idea to give it to dad to start a new tradition. He thinks it's cool. Now, if I can only figure out what to get him for Christmas...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Subscribing to this thread so that I can actually remember some of these awesome ideas.
Question though- My brother does the fantasy football thing- could anyone shoot me some general ideas to transform a notebook into a points journal? I'm clueless about such things.
I need some help with the wine journal too.....Feel free to PM me...

Just how many days until vacation?Who'da thunk 18 Kindergarteners would be this tiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Desk tile??

I've made several dry erase message boards for the "desk job" men in my life and they really like them! I use the Lovely as a Tree set! =) It won't let me attach a pic, but they're on pg 3 in my gallery. Then the instructions are in Word! =)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tile instructions.doc (26.5 KB, 403 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

great ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE the name frame idea!!! I have a few guys on my list who complain that I never make THEM anything!!! When I have in the past they are sooooooo appreciative!!! Moreso than the ladies, I think!! OK.......so I need Packers, Bears, Bulls, White Sox..........oh! I'm so excited!! I can do thiis next year for the HS silent auction........go TIgers!!!!! Off to Hobby Lobby!!!! Thanks Dawn!! You're brilliant!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessprplfrog
Subscribing to this thread so that I can actually remember some of these awesome ideas.
Question though- My brother does the fantasy football thing- could anyone shoot me some general ideas to transform a notebook into a points journal? I'm clueless about such things.
I need some help with the wine journal too.....Feel free to PM me...
Every week in my DH's fantasy football league, he has a matchup with one of the other folks in the league. I have his tally sheet in front of me for the past three weeks of matchups. It is four columns, one for his players, one for the points they've earned, and two columns set up the same for his opponent's. Each column in his league has 9 rows in it, eight for the different positions and one for the defense team points. Every week DH writes in manually the names of the players he's chosen for each position and those his opponent has chosen. As the games get played, DH writes in both final and tentative scores for each position. Scores can be tentative because players can earn both positive and negative points depending on whether they mess up in a play.

Me, I would choose a smaller composition book and draw a four-column chart on each page or every other page (and have the facing page for notes possibly). There would be two master headings, being "My Team" and "Opponent's Team" and two smaller headings under each: "Player" and "Points". If you wanted, you could include two more smaller headings: "Position" and "Tentative Points". I would also include a space for general notes, as I'm sure DH made many as he was deciding what players to draft for his fantasy team.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Default How about a man's coupon book?

Hi
How about a man's coupon book? I used to Stamp these for my dad. I'd make coupons for things like:
One Free homemade apple pie made just for you; Two dozen homemade cookies made just for you: One Free exterior car wash;
One Car interior vacuuming, One Free Hug, One Free Scalp Massage, One Free golf ball cleaning-the possibilities are endless depending on what the guy on your gift list likes to do.

Hugs
Pam Miller, Frazee MN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default idea

hey Mel...I saw in Michael's today a mini calendar keychain that had pictures of golf courses at the top...of course I came home and made one for my hubby...cute stocking stuffer....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Default mens gifts

How about a journal to keep internet site passwords in. I have a book in my gallery to record car oil changes and maitence. My husband uses his all the time.
craftqueen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

What about an album of your kids (or pets, his hobbies, as applicable)? If you're like me, you have a small album around that you bought on sale and just had to have.... orou can use some of your stash and make an acordian book or alter an Altoids tin for small pics, small enough to carry around with him. I'm glad you asked this question because it put this idea into my head which I will now do for my DH! I like these other ideas too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #39  
Bold and Bright

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2ejj
I LOVE the name frame idea!!! I have a few guys on my list who complain that I never make THEM anything!!! When I have in the past they are sooooooo appreciative!!! Moreso than the ladies, I think!! OK.......so I need Packers, Bears, Bulls, White Sox..........oh! I'm so excited!! I can do thiis next year for the HS silent auction........go TIgers!!!!! Off to Hobby Lobby!!!! Thanks Dawn!! You're brilliant!!!!!

my BIL loves the White Sox....thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

hth,

Sue

I love this idea... this clipboard with all the little things on it would be a cool thing for those "fisher-men" types to have to brag about their most recent catch and count down to the next fishing trip. (Or hunting if your guy is into that.)
Reply With Quote Likes