Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2005, 04:33 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default My absolute favorite SU cardstock - what's yours?

Yesterday I was getting ready for a Stamp Camp and I wanted to try out a color combination for Roses in Winter. I have some regular white cardstock in my studio that you can buy in a ream at WalMart or office stores - I use it to print charts and samples on, and I use it when making sure my Carl Cutter is set exactly right to cut my SU cardstock exactly in half. Anyway...

I grabbed a piece of the non-SU cardstock by mistake and tried out my color combination. It looked awful! I kept checking the inkpads I was using and was wondering what the problem was when I touched the cardstock I'd stamped on. THAT was the problem - it wasn't SU Ultrasmooth White!!!! Relieved, I grabbed a 1/4 panel of SU US White and stamped my rose - ahhhh, beautiful!!!! Using our Ultrasmooth Cardstock makes ALL the difference!!

So US White and US Vanilla are my favorites. My new favorite is Shimmery White, used for watercoloring. Oh and glossy!! There are so many techniques that you NEED glossy cardstock for and since you don't usually make a whole card out of Glossy, you need only a 1/4 sheet and it's very reasonably priced! I encourage my customers to split a package with someone if they want to try it out.

And the cardstock vellum is the best - you can stamp on it, print on it and it's sturdy yet lovely.

For newbies, I'd recommend buying US White, Glossy, and the assortment packs of colored cardstock. When you see what colors you use the most, you can buy a whole pack of that color. Split a package with a friend if you don't think you'll use the whole pack!

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 04:48 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree.. i stamped on georgia pacific one time..and the brocade blue didnt look right.. so i tried again.. didnt look right..
then grabbed a scrap of us white.. and it was the color it was supposed to be. i use walmart paper all the time for baskets, templates and lollipop covers, stuff that kids will trash.... but for my cards, it is the us white!!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 04:54 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I don't use the GP card stock for anything but printing out templates from the SU website. I never use it for making cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I agree! You can't beat Stampin' Up! Ultrasmooth White card stock. The color is so vibrant on this card stock compared to the off brands. It makes ALL the difference in your card making.

I find the quality of Stampin' Up! card stock is second to none and is competitively priced. I love that you can coordinate the inks, papers, ribbons, eyelets, chalks, etc.

I LOVE Stampin' Up!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to admit that I'm a cardstock snob! I have not found anything that compares to our Ultrasmooth white and vanilla. Once I tried it I was totally hooked! Same goes for the 48 colors! Oh - and the confetti, the shimmer, on and on! It's all awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

I love the vellum cardstock... look in the gallery for sour cream containers made with it. So cute and easy! I use it all the time.

I only use the GP white when my 3 year old wants to stamp. My 5 and 7 year olds have graduated to US white!

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default favorite SU cardstock

Ladies:

I love our cardstock and my favorites are "red" and "shimmery white". I didn't even know we had such a color.

You cannot get away with using other brands and have such wonderful results.

Happy Stamping!!

Ana Malick ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngFab
I have to admit that I'm a cardstock snob! I have not found anything that compares to our Ultrasmooth white and vanilla. Once I tried it I was totally hooked! Same goes for the 48 colors! Oh - and the confetti, the shimmer, on and on! It's all awesome!
Then we're snobs together!
Nothing compares to Stampin' Up! cardstock -- nothing!
I use the cheapy walmart stuff for templates but not for my stamping! The US is so nice for watercoloring or blender pens -- can't use the cheap stuff for that, it just balls up. I love the finish on the US

Oh, and the 48 colors -- I just love how they coordinate and the weight of them. Stampin' Up! cardstock is the BEST!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:21 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I've loved every piece of SU cardstock that I've ever used. But I don't have Shimmery White. Please tell me more!! Is it good for cards that aren't watercolored? How do the chalk inks look on it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #10  
tmz
Rubber Obsessor

One thing that I noticed when using the GP cardstock was that the image bled through to the other side. When you open the card you can see the front on the inside of the card. The US White doesn't do that and I like that. It makes for much nicer presentation of the card. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Brainerdgal, the shimmery white card stock is awesome even for just plain stamping. The shimmer of it shows through whatever you stamp. It is really great with shadow stamps too. I CASE'd a card where there were shadow stamps coverning almost all of the shimmer paper and outline stamps stamped over them in black. The shimmer showed through and was just beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 AM   #12  
The Digi-Freak

I just discovered the shimmery white. A friend (Jackie G) used it on a gift and I was like OMG, what IS THAT???????

I LOVE IT!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 AM   #13  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Re: My absolute favorite SU cardstock - what's yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him
Yesterday I was getting ready for a Stamp Camp and I wanted to try out a color combination for Roses in Winter. I have some regular white cardstock in my studio that you can buy in a ream at WalMart or office stores - I use it to print charts and samples on, and I use it when making sure my Carl Cutter is set exactly right to cut my SU cardstock exactly in half. Anyway...

I grabbed a piece of the non-SU cardstock by mistake and tried out my color combination. It looked awful! I kept checking the inkpads I was using and was wondering what the problem was when I touched the cardstock I'd stamped on. THAT was the problem - it wasn't SU Ultrasmooth White!!!! Relieved, I grabbed a 1/4 panel of SU US White and stamped my rose - ahhhh, beautiful!!!! Using our Ultrasmooth Cardstock makes ALL the difference!!

So US White and US Vanilla are my favorites. My new favorite is Shimmery White, used for watercoloring. Oh and glossy!! There are so many techniques that you NEED glossy cardstock for and since you don't usually make a whole card out of Glossy, you need only a 1/4 sheet and it's very reasonably priced! I encourage my customers to split a package with someone if they want to try it out.

Susan
I agree wholeheartedly! I can tell the difference in the gallery when cards are made with non-SU white. The images are so much more crisp with SU ultrasmooth white and vanilla. Stampin Up CS is a MUST for me. I think it's worth my money to have top notch cardstock. I spend so much time stamping I can't see using anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I should have quit reading this tread at the beginning... Now I HAVE to buy shimmery white. You gals are breaking the bank. No wonder my DH says that I have to quit spending so much time on the computer--it's cosing him a fortune! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:51 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I also was one that used "generic" cs for almost a year. I really didnt think there was much difference...WHOA was i WRONG!! I kept looking at my demos samples, wondering why mine didnt look as good. I thought i was a bad stamper!! I caved and bought US white cs, and immediately, just the feel of it, i was hooked!! i went and bought ALL the colors that night!!! lol I can not use anything else on my finished cards. So if that makes me a cs snob too, so be it!!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:59 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I admit if I am making something for kids (or my inlaws who don't fully appreciate a beautiful wonderful handstamped card/gift) I will use something different. And to just play with an idea till I tweak it.
that is about all it is good for and templates too.

Then of course for the real thing I use the real deal! Big difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too was one of those that thought paper was paper...that is before I started using SU's!! I just love all the paper, but especially the US White and Confetti White and Kraft and LOVE the shimmery white paper.

Oh also love the gold, silver, and copper paper! I went looking for a couple more sheets of silver for a project and couldn't find ANYTHING comparable to what SU carries!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank goodness!!! I bought some of that Walmart cheapy georgia pacific paper about a year ago to use on the inside of my cards when I use a dark card.

So there I was merrily stamping along... minding my own bussiness and nothing I stamped or tried to watercolor turned out. For the life of me I could not think of what I was doing wrong because I had never had this problem. So I grabbed another piece of cardstock out it was completely different so I stamped the exact same thing and it was perfect. Later on I was telling my husband what had happened...and that is when he said that he put the 'other' white paper in the holder :shock: :shock:

So a huge note to self...I get what I pay for!!!!

Now that is the paper I let me kids use for stamping...they love it!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I agree with the SU quality paper - I am not a demo - but once I made the exact card that I had made with SU paper to one I made with the other - WOW -- now I have hundreds of sheets of regular card stock and my dh does not understand why I am still ordering SU paper when I have so much paper already...men just don't understand..... Also, I love the velum cardstock - it is great. Another thing that SU makes that I like - even though it is not paper -- is the embossing powder - I had some other stuff that I started making christmas cards with - and when I compared the ones made with the SU ep - it looked so much better...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #20  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SHIMMERSHIMMERSHIMMER!

I love all teh shimmer papers SU has, and the designer papers in solver and copper and matching vellum? GORGEOUS!!!! Sadly I am a hoarder and have a hard time letting it go! LOL But I LOVE to look at it!

(and I also love embossing silver on the silver and copper on teh copper and irridescent ice on the white-it looks ROCKIN'!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I love the US white and vanilla, shimmery white, all of the metallics. Before I started buying a lot of SU! cardstock, I was trying to use stuff I had leftover from my old scrapbooking days and the images and colors just didn't come out looking good. After I got my SU! CS, everything looked beautiful. Won't go back to the cheap stuff. I donated it to a teacher for her classes.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

People who don't use SU don't understand why we would be so loyal to SU CS! Unless it's a specialty type paper that SU doesn't carry, I use SU!

My favorite is Confetti White! Love that stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

UH.... I have to pick ONE?!?!? Love all of SU's cardstock!!!!

Banded 12-13-07
Ask me about it! Start 238 Current 138 Goal 125

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't really have favorite but I think Stampin Up! has the most beautiful shade of orange...and orange is not a color I use a lot but theirs is so pretty.

Oh yeah, I forgot I love the US cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

mmmmmm
shimmery white! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I whole heartedly agree with everyone! When I placed my first order, 3 yrs ago, I didn't get any paper, thinking I'll just go to Michael's, it'll be cheaper. It ended up costing me more, because I ending up throwing it away!

I was borrowing a shadow type stamp from my friend, stamping a bunch of the flower in different colors, so I could later cut them out and put them on a card. I only had a couple of "bad" white cs, then I ran out. My friend gave me a sheet of SU! US white. What a HUGE difference that made. The color was better, the image was clearer.

Now that I'm a demo, I still have these beginning stamped images and I will ALWAYS show the difference between the papers. You get what you pay for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

How can you pick just one? That's impossible! I LOVE the US White. Like everyone has said- it makes a huge difference. I love the pool party patterned paper too. Especially the stripes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Britta,

SU has Designer papers in silver and copper? Where are they?? I haven't bought any of the patterned paper yet. I guess I should do that sometime! Thanks for your suggestion of the silver embossing on silver, etc. And I think I need to order some more Shimmery White. It really is unique - it's expensive, but worth it, esp when you use just 1/4 sheet at a time.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just recently used the shimmery white at a stamp camp. WOW - it is SO cool!!! I really do like all of the SU cardstock. It is the best out there!

LaurieR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

Britta, I wasn't thinking about the designer papers!! Wow I always use Sassy and Candy. Beautiful on cards and scrapbook pages. I received the candy vellum and the black leather scrapbook FREE with my Great Rewards points. I can't wait to use the vellum

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #31  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love every paper that Stampin Up sells!!! I refuse to use anything other than Stampin Up even before I became a demo!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #32  
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

I love all of SU cs. I don't even bother with any other. My favorite at the moment is shimmery white also. I f you don't have it, you have GOT to get it.

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I love all of SU cardstock. I seem to blow through the confetti cream the fastest, so I guess that is my fav!

visit my site: www.danahatch.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for reminding me Britta - The designer papers and designer vellum ROCK!!!!

Banded 12-13-07
Ask me about it! Start 238 Current 138 Goal 125

Reply With Quote Likes