Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you a creator or caser?

I think I have come to the final realization of the type of stamper that I am. Sure I might change something or add something on a card, but for the most part, I admit it....I am a caser. They say that the best form of flattery is to copy something you like. I gotta tell you, this is one collective group of talented individuals, and I copy a lot. If someone asks me where I get my ideas, I tell them straight up, that I am not the creative sort and that I get it from this website. Maybe once my kids are older, I'll have more time to sit and spend developing my creative flow (do I have one?), and actually post a card of my own. But for right now, I want to thank you all for sharing all your wonderful ideas. Thank-you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 04:57 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a caser for the most part.....thanks for everyone's help!!

Julie C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Definitely a caser. When I make just one creative addition or change a colour of paper or ink, I am incredibly proud of my ingenuity! Not so much an artist as a crafter.

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I am a little bit of both. If I see something that really "wows" me, I CASE away. Usually I change it up a lil' bit though. I LOVE creating too. If I don't have time to create, then I CASE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that is why I don't make as many cards as I would like because it takes me awhile to come up with something really good that I like, I like being as original as possible and coming up with my own stuff. So I would say I am a creator, or I would like to say that. I have made maybe 3 cards identical to cards in the catalogs, but that is about it. I guess I would feel guilty using someone else's stuff. I have several cards not posted in the gallery since most were someone else's ideas and designs, even though I made my own card of it from that party. If I did post something that I made from the catalog I was sure to mention it in the description. I did post like 2 cards I made at a party, so I mentioned that. =) I think most of us want to be so creative, but yeah sometimes we get stampers block
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

i'm a caser too! to be honest, i'd be hard pressed to say i felt anyone had a truely "original" creation when you consider "inspired by" to be a form of casing! if i used susie's layout, karen's color combo, tara's embellishments, lisa's technique and my favorite stamp set--who do i credit for this? is it an original card or a multi-case? is there some sort of "weight" given to the various elements of a card? because i make a lot of cards using this very method! and since there is no guarantee that any of these elements were original to the person i got them from, now i really have a problem on who to credit...

i too give my thanks to my inspiration--the people here and all the other sites i frequent, the people who create the magazines and books i browse, heck, i once got an idea from a throw pillow so i thank the person who made that too! but unless i sit down with a copy of a card or scrapbook page in front of me and am deliberately try to recreate it (which i've also done plenty of!) i'm afraid i'd be hard pressed to give any one person credit for the original. there is simply too much stuff out there that my brain tucks away for future reference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a wanna be creator. I am so new to this though that I can't even case good. I am signing up to be a demo in April and I am very worried about my quality of work so I am practicing now but I won't get my first order of stamps until this coming Tuesday.

I want to create a personal local web site to show the ladies who are interested in booking parties with me what all they can do with SU! stamps. I was hoping I could put some of your great cards on my personal web site. I guess I will just send a pm to a few individuals asking their permission to show their card on my site.

So many of you are true artists. I want to be like you when I grow up :lol: .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:18 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Re: Are you a creator or caser?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcber12
I think I have come to the final realization of the type of stamper that I am. Sure I might change something or add something on a card, but for the most part, I admit it....I am a caser. They say that the best form of flattery is to copy something you like. I gotta tell you, this is one collective group of talented individuals, and I copy a lot. If someone asks me where I get my ideas, I tell them straight up, that I am not the creative sort and that I get it from this website. Maybe once my kids are older, I'll have more time to sit and spend developing my creative flow (do I have one?), and actually post a card of my own. But for right now, I want to thank you all for sharing all your wonderful ideas. Thank-you!
I am a caser too. But, I find that I may take a couple of different cards, because I like this on that card.....and I like this on that card....and put both or more ideas on one card. This site inspires me and gets my 'creative' juices going....most of the time anyway Somtimes, there's just NO hope :(

Thank You for sharing your 'talents'!!!
Audrey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:21 AM   #9  
The Digi-Freak

both! I usually get ideas and will case something but twist it to my style

But for the most part I just sit down and "create" BUT I have soooo many ideas in my head from SCS I can't truly take credit for anything ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:24 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default May I call it inspired by instead of CASEr?

I will readily admit to caseing ideas from SCS, and do always give credit where credit is due, even if the original creator might not recognize the end result. On the other had, while I may CASE some ideas, I usually think of what I do is getting inspiration from an idea/color combination/theme and then adapt it to my own quirky style.

For example, carolina had a great idea with Cool Cat being a BAD KITTY and munching on a birdy. I took that and used Favorite Friends to come to the rescue of their mouse friend in the beginning stages of munching. CASEd? Not exactly. Inspired by? You bet! Regardless of the label used, I do always refer to the original to give them credit for their ideas! That includes when I use a technique with a unique name like Crinkled Chalks (I reference Beate) or Joseph's Coat Reversed (JanTink). I know that is a pain for most people, but as long as I continue feeling inspired by I want to let them know their influence!

All my best,

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:25 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I've only cased two cards ever....they were both Catie's. THANKS CATIE!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #12  
Babe-Alicious!!

I would consider myself as a "case creator". I take a card that I like and case it but put a little bit of my creativity on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little bit of both. Some days, the ideas just come naturally so I create my own cards. Other days, I'm sitting there, starring at my material. These are the days that I do a CASE or two to get things moving. Most of the time, I get new ideas while working on a CASE, so it all evens out in the end.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
I would consider myself as a "case creator". I take a card that I like and case it but put a little bit of my creativity on it.
Right on! I like that one...a "case creator"...that is pretty much how I think of myself...I get inspiration from cards I like but always think of what I can do to make it a little more mine. Can we have a new abbreviation now? "CC" LOL!

Kudos to all you creative and talented ladies out there who help to inspire us "CC's"

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:40 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I guess I'm mostly a CASEr. There are many times that I will add my own little touch to make it more like me but over all...it's probably CASEd. I thought for sure after I became a demo the creativity would settle over me BUT that hasn't happened so a HUGE thank you to everyone here for the spectacular art you post! ~Lorie
Old 03-18-2005, 05:43 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

CASER CASER CASER!!! BUT I'm so glad I found this site; I look at stamp sets now that I never would have thought of before!! I'm so grateful for all the great cards on here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:45 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Both!! I usually can make my own stuff now, but it took me about a year of stamping to get there. Now if I am in a rut, I'll case a few things then I am on a roll and can do my own.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:48 AM   #18  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,078 Likes on 858 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter_Girl
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
Right on! I like that one...a "case creator"...that is pretty much how I think of myself...I get inspiration from cards I like but always think of what I can do to make it a little more mine. Can we have a new abbreviation now? "CC" LOL!

Kudos to all you creative and talented ladies out there who help to inspire us "CC's"
Also, with all the challenges we have on this site, if you create a card using a Sketch Challenge or one of the others, is that creating or casing?

I've actually created a couple cards myself, but like to use the sketch challenges to create a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #19  
Cupcake Queen

Thanks to the challenges, I am now a CREATOR -- but I case a lot too!

Hugs,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I"m a bit of both - I will case things if I need a quick and cute to send someone - yes I try and remember to write and "created by" on the back as well as my "stamped by"-

for my swaps - I REALLY try and create originals - to date I think I have succeeded.

If a year ago someone had put a stampset and a bunch of stuff in front of me and said - make me a card - I would have run for the hills screaming - but

TODAY - having been here and seen lots of ideas - I would not be as fearful - I would rack my brain and try and remember of little of this and a little of that and actually TRY and accomplish the task! and be original as I can -

So it that caseing???? Not really - its called using yout resources and using others ideas to enhance the creative process!

for example - if I emboss a soda tab - is that casing? It WAS someone else's idea that I Am COPYING ......

Just my thoughts -

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I am definitely both.

I love to CASE when I'm blocked, or just because the card is soooo good. I became a demo in Jan, so have mostly CASE'D since then, so I could generate a lot of card quickly.

But I love to create too. It's just that I am THE WORLD'S SLOWEST STAMPER when I'm coming up with it myself. It can take me 3 hours for one card...choosing which ribbon, which color, redoing this and that...
But that is when I get into the "zone" and I love it!

So both! That's what I love about this hobby!
maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I am a creator but I have cased a technique or two otherwise, I never would have been able to get started! I have several cards from my upline in my sample stack but when asked I say, "I didn't do them my upline did, would you like to make one of those?"
Please case me...but you have to post a compliment!
Mrsstremm's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I consider myself a creator because I don't try to copy exactly anyone else's stuff. But, when you are surrounded by all of the beautiful work here on SCS, you can't help but be influenced by it! I may get an idea for a layout or color combination, but I try to make it my own. So, I create with influences!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I try to be a creator but what I envision never comes out quite right. I usually CASE or CASE and tweek. I am amazed at the talent on this site. Actually, if I stayed away from this site, I'd get more stamping done!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:24 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

definitely a caser......it stress me out when I am trying something new. LOL It's takes me way too long and I never like the outcome. This is the main reason I don't download to the gallery, it's probably posted on here. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:31 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Both....if I am in a mad rush, I'll case...or if I find something that I absolutely have to try(like the 2 rainbow stripe cards in my gallery) but if I have time to futz....I will create....usually ends up being 3 hours of aggravation with one or 2 decent cards produced....but I'm getting better.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I'm a CREATOR - as much stuff I have in my favorites I intend to CASE - I never get around to it because I'm always wanting to create my own! I have cased one or 2 cards before, but just for my personal use in baggy books or cards to family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:53 AM   #28  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I love it....I have a new title "CASE CREATOR"! I very seldom copy exactly without any "TWEEKING" but I do get most of my basic ideas from other people THANK YOU! THANK YOU! ALL! We are having a scrap/stamp weekend starting today thru tomorrow night. I'm going to spend most of my time copying my demos cards so I can build up my samples a little more. I have sent out several originals that I wish I had taken enough time to make new ones and keep my originals. Thanks again to everyone who helps us get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm both. I feel like I hit the jackpot when a friend turned me on to SCS. Wow! I can't get over how many great ideas you gals come up with. Like some of the others that responded, I do case A LOT, but I usually add my own touch. If I dont have a particular stamp, I will use what I have to make a similar project. Or, find that I just have to order another set [/quote]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:10 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Default Creator or cased

I think that I am a creator for the most part. I have cased from my DEMO and friends and even from SCS Thank all for great minds we think like----
CARDS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

When I spend too much time on SCS, I'm a Case'r.

When I get off the computer and look at my product, I become a Create'r.

So it really depends on how much time I'm on SCS looking at all the "Oh, I gotta do this" projects. (good example: Paisley...teeheehee, who'd a thunk it?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a CASEr when I have time constraints(most of the time) but for workshops and my free time then I am a creator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a CASE'r.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default caser or creator

I'm a creator, I better be I spent alot on that degree of mine. But I like to make the easy cards to show customers that you don't have to be an artist to do this, and a mistake can sometimes "make" the design. :P I like to case out of the mags. all mags any mags I like mags. for the easy stuff. The work on this site WOW! I'd feel funny using it to show it as mine, thats why I like swaps. Then I can say a talented person from... designed this card! I have to say I have cased from my 10 year old daughter than we put both our stamps on the back and she gets full credit for her design. She just loves that :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:37 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which am I?

Well...this seems like it should be an easy question to answer...but it's not!!

Okay...*MOST* of the time, I'm a creator. I'd say about 75% of the time I'm a creator. I think most of that is because I don't necessarily pair things together that other people would *see* together at first glance. (And I have a *ton* of things that I have never posted either here or on my Webshots site. I am *VERY* particular about not posting clear shots of either of my boys with their faces or names visible onto websites that have public access. Fear of predators....that stuff...)

I think the other 15% of the time, I'm a CASEr. Not an idea-for-idea CASEr, but I'll see how another stamper interpreted a set and think - hey: I could use that set, twist the colors, dimensionalize it, cut it out...whatever!...and turn it into a layout for a page. Or I'll CASE color combos...that is a *HUGE* area of weakness for me. Or I'll CASE the way an embellishment was used.

And right now, about 10% of the time, I'm doing these SBSChallenges which I think are just *'DA BOMB* and are *really* making me think outside of *my* creative box!! I'm still stuck on #3 right now, but I'm also working on #4 at the same time and can't wait for #5...they are *SO COOL!!!* ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

I would say I am a bit of both. I do see so many things to get my creativity to flow, but where do we draw the line? If i make a card from a shirt my daughter is wearing, am I CASEing Carter's? :lol: LOL just kidding - I do get so much inspiration from all over, but I also come up with a few good things on my own. I try to be original when doing challenges and contests and of course, if I were to send anything in to be published (which I never have). And I definately admit when I do case. Although sometimes it is a general statement b/c I cannot for the life of me remember where I saw the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

I am a creator. I love to look through the gallery and ooohhhh and ahhhh over all the wonderful work, and for ideas on color combinations. Other than that, I do all my own stuff. I think I've cased at least once maybe twice in the 12 years that I've been stamping. I don't usually buy idea books for that fact either. I have no problem with casing someone's work, it's just that my head is usually going crazy with ideas that I even dream about them. LOL

Marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

I'm a CASE Creator. I figure it like this; when you sew, you use a pattern. You pick the fabric, buttons, trims and create a beautiful dress (etc.). No one discounts your creativity in creating the article of clothing for using the pattern. I come to SCS to get "patterns" and then I CASE and tweak to my own tastes. I would be hard pressed to come up with my own ideas for as much stamping as I do. Thanks all for your wonderful ideas and inspiration to my stamping projects!

P.S. On the rare occasion that I have come up with my own idea, I submit it to the demonstrator contest at Stampin' Up! and have actually won! I'm waiting to hear back on my latest 100% original creation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

I'd say I am about 60% creator and 40% CASEr. My husband ALWAYS asks, "Did you CASE that?" He is my motivation to create more on my own! He is my biggest supporter and loves it when I am creative on my own.

But. . . when I'm in a hurry and there are so many wonderful examples available, I CASE away. hahahhahahahhaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:51 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Definitely a caser! I am so thankful that I found this site. I am creatively challenged and seeing everyone's works of art is an inspiration. I've been printing off the sketch challenges with the hopes that maybe someday an original idea will come to me. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who posts for providing such wonderful examples of your work.
Reply With Quote Likes