Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SU needs to lower shipping costs

A group of us wanted to place a large order that would come to around $780 but we feel that $78 for shipping is totally crazy since the order is going to weigh less than 10 pounds and fit in a smallish box. I wonder how much profit SU makes off this kind of thing!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
littlecelestra (03-15-2022)
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! I can't imagine what you're ordering for $780 that doesn't weigh much and will come in a smallish box. BUT - I do know that SU! actually takes a loss on shipping. I know that because every so often we (demos) receive an announcement of some sort letting us know that their (SU!'s) shipping costs are increasing, however they ARE NOT passing along the increase to demos and customers.

I'm sure if you were to compare to other mail order companies, you'll see that the 10% is pretty common.

Congrats on your large order, though! WhooHOOO!
Stampin' Fool

Default Shipping

I totality agree with you, they should have a shipping cap, over X # of $ it is one price. I think that it curbs buyers from placing larger orders, because of the 10% that is added. :o

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...splay.php?f=93
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. I once mailed all of my Christmas presents to my family because I couldn't go home. Three large boxes to three different locations from Pak Mail. I don't think that cost $78. I think you could mail an awful lot of stuff for $78. Perhaps SU takes a loss on the smaller orders, but then they also use a very large box and lots of filler paper to mail small amounts of cardstock to me, and I'm sure they could do that cheaper if they put their minds to it. I'm with you dot2dot, $78 does seem high. A lot of companies use a sliding scale with shipping -- like the post office and UPS do.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Default SU shipping costs

I just received an order for a small party...$150. The box weighed 16 pounds. I can't imagine a $700 order coming in under 20 pounds, unless you're ordering ribbons, perhaps.

Some demos do offer specials on shipping occasionally...not for party orders, but maybe for a customer order over a certain dollar amount. Of course, they eat the cost themselves, then. I'm sure they're comparable to other direct marketing companies.

mary rose
Rubber Obsessor

I agree that $78.00 dollars is a huge amount. I work for a pretty big company and we have negotiated rates with UPS and fed-ex. I'm sure since S.U. ships waaaay more than we do, they get even better rates. If they don't, their Shipping Manager isn't doing their job. But that percentage is pretty standard for home parties, although I totally agree a max. cap should be put in place.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Not sure if you're aware but Stampin' Up! does not make any profit on shipping. They actually lose money. Every year UPS raises their shipping fees but Stampin' Up! eats that cost. What are you getting in your $780 box that is under 10 pounds. I order $500 - $1000 a lot and my boxes are very heavy. Just curious..
Rubber Obsessor

The 10% is comparable to other catalog sales and at home party type things. It pays for the handling...for every item that you order, someone has to go get it off the picking line. Then it has to be packaged with the other items from your order and then shipped.

Sometimes I know it seems like a lot, especially when I think that i would rather spend that on more product, but then I also like getting my orders from Stampin' Up!(r) within 7 days of placing my order (normally). They don't make any money off of the s/h. I've had a workshop for about $700 once and it was a large box and did weigh a bit, but that's just my experience. I've order from other companies and the shipping was similar, if not more, than SU! and it took 2-3 times longer to arrive.

just my experience,

Jennifer
Polyshrink Goddess

We are ordering markers for an upcoming project. We are ordering many dry embossing stencils. Mostly things like eyelets, hemp twine, fibers, aqua painters.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Nobody likes to pay shipping, but I know for me that there is no where else that I can even begin to purchase the items offered by SU and with the price of gas, I wouldn't want to drive all over trying to find them anyway.
With SU, I can sit down with my coffee and my catty in my own home and write my order down, instead of driving around, looking for parking, shlepping into a store(usually with two kids in tow), standing around waiting for a cashier, then driving back home again, probably without everything I was looking for.
I do gulp a little when I place a big order and see that shipping amount come up, but then I remember the advantages of it coming to my door and I'm ok with it.
Also, the charge is not just for shipping, it is for handling as well, which covers sorting and packing the order. I think we forget about that part as well. I work in retail and I know that if they aren't charging you separately for these types of services, you're paying for it anyway, you just don't know it. It all comes down to the bottom line.
Ronda
Glitter Guru

Usually $780 worth of product is going to come in more than one box. Remember that the 10 percent isn't just shipping, it is shipping and handling. One of the reasons Stampin' Up! loses money at shipping is they fill the order right away and ship it. Even if there is an item on backorder that will come in the next day, they don't hold up the shipment - they send it fast! Don't you gals just love the fast shipping? I think Stampin' Up! excels at this. Then they send the backordered item out fast too so you shouldn't have to wait too long for things.

Companies who have free shipping after a certain dollar amount most likely have the shipping cost built into the cost of the product. Stampin' Up! prices are very good and they are what they are. Most direct sales companies have 10 percent shipping or more. I think Stampin' Up! is right in line with what they should be.

Happy stamping with all of your new goodies!!!

Kathleen
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't get me wrong--I DO love SU, but I bristle at the suggestions that their prices are "very good" when you have to mount and assemble them yourselves! By the time I am done with that I could buy stamps cheaper in almost any store. Additionally, I can find any other brand at a discount on the internet. When you tack on that 10% and then assemble yourself I think you are kidding yourself that these are bargain stamps in any manner.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I don't mind the shipping and handling because I know other companies charge more. I just had a $900 order come in two large boxes that I could hardly lift, and yet my delivery lady probably carried both of them at once. My orders are delivered to my door, and according to customers, they come pretty darn fast as compared to other companies.
Remember, you get what you pay for. I love being able to track my parcels.
Kelli
Glitter Guru

Dot2dot, Stampin' Up! stamps are about 40 percent cheaper than stamps you can purchase in the stamp stores. I personally like to mount my stamps because I can position them where I want them and trim them very close with my craft and rubber scissors. If you don't own one of these than I highly recommend them. You may just grow to like mounting your own too. You can also get freebies by hostessing a party and you get your very own demonstrator who will show you what to do with all of your wonderful goodies. That is money well spent!

Have a great day!

Kathleen
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ok well, I will add my two cents. I have a customer who is latex allergic. So I have all her orders sent to me even though she doesn't live here... I then cut and mount her sets and send them on to her... everytime I do this it costs me almost 10% to resend them....she just orders about 60.00 worth of stuff...it cost me almost six something to send it. So when you have to consider that they also have to pay people to package, they pay for packaging, AND they don't hold the entire shipment for the BO items... I think that 10% was a pretty good guess...and you know what? I just look at it as, they could raise prices 10% and I still will get a FAR BETTER DEAL on stamps than I could at Mikes or ACMOORE!!!!! Not to mention, you can't get stamps that all coordinate there like you can at SU!!!
Sure I may have a complaint here and there, but I find there is little use complaining and getting others riled up when there really is nothing that can be done about it.
Have a SUPER DUPER Saturday all! NOW GET STAMPING!!!! LOL
Hardware Hotshot

Default SU shipping

It's like the joke..."Can't you just ship it without handling it?"

I have to disagree about the stamp prices, though. One large stamp at Michaels would cost me as much as four from SU. I just purchased the set Life Cycles, and I was able to mount the stamps exactly as I wanted them...with the bike image on one side, and the saying cut away and placed on the end. This way I have more flexibility with stamping. I'd never be able to do that if I bought a stamp at a store where the factory person has trimmed it (badly) and assembled it anyway they please.

May I make a suggestion? If you're placing orders that large, become a SU hobby demo and get 20 percent off all your orders. That's what I did!

mary rose
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! Your stamp stores must be really expensive!! I can get really nice background stamps around here for $11-14 while with shipping I pay almost $19 at SU. I just bought a Hero Arts set of 6 stamps for $15 (no shipping). With SU you might get 6-8 stamps for $20 but usually 2-3 of them are mini stamps or stamps I really do not want anyway. I often buy a set just to get 1/2 the stamps and the others go in my yard sale. I still must disagree that they are cheaper (much less 40% cheaper).
Insane Embellisher

Not to cause an uproar or to have anyone angry but I totally disagree with the above post. I have gone to our local stamp store and to Michaels but the prices are NOT cheaper than SU. In fact, they are way more when you look at the fact that the stamps are sold as a set. You get 4 stamps for the price of 2 at the other stores. You don't get customer service like with SU and when you mount the stamp yourself, you have a measure of control on where you put it that it is more comfortable to you to use. I prefer to mount my stamps a certain way but I am sure others prefer it a different way. Plus, the stamps at the store always leave a line on my stamped image but with SU I can trim them to my liking.

Now, I know this is a hot issue and everyone has there opinion. I am just giving you mine. You can agree or disagree. I do feel that SU is a fair company when it comes to shipping items. I personnally love having my stamps come to me in a box then to have to drag 2 young kids all over the stores looking for matching/coordinating stamps.

"Just my opinion...I could be wrong" Dennis Miller
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
Don't get me wrong--I DO love SU, but I bristle at the suggestions that their prices are "very good" when you have to mount and assemble them yourselves! By the time I am done with that I could buy stamps cheaper in almost any store. Additionally, I can find any other brand at a discount on the internet. When you tack on that 10% and then assemble yourself I think you are kidding yourself that these are bargain stamps in any manner.
I have only been using SU products for about a year and decided to become a demo to save myself money. But I have been a stamper far longer than that, and I have yet to find a company who offers so many stamp sets with coordinating products, so many items offered in the same colors, so many beautiful stamp SETS for that matter... any other place. I was one of those who perused the net for hours looking for what I wanted... not since I found SU. And SU's stamps ARE very good deals... the shipping is just a fact of life. I agree ... you get what you pay for. Good luck going to ANY store and finding a set of 6-12 stamps that coordinate well. You will pay more than $19.95 for a set of 6-8... and they most likely won't be made to coordinate. You will have to figure that part out yourself... if it can be done. But that's just my humble opinion.
Cardstock Collector

Default A good deal

I used to feel the same way about shipping . . . until I looked around. Shipping is now part of our very "internet savvy" world. When I look at shipping at other web stores, the % is usually between 10-20% of the total cost, sometimes more.

I agree that you can get stamps for cheaper . . . if you find them on sale. But Stampin' Up! stamps are, I believe (and so do many others) of much better quality! Plus you get a set that matches and goes well together.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Veronica Anouk Scott
Stampinouk
Mad Swapper

My 2 cents(CAN), any stamps that I have found that are 'less expensive/cheaper' than SU's are never the same quality. Not trimmed right, or mounted right, the image isn't as clear, either. It's not just the stamps that are better, the cardstock it better, then ink is cheaper for the quality, I could go on and on, but I won't. And the customer service is 100% better than anything I have gotten any where else and that's worth it to me.
Kelli
Kookie Creator

When I first ordered from SU! last Nov I also cringed at the shipping-10%!!! that seemed awful high just cuz I am a consultant for Usborne books and our books (and books are HEAVY) ship for a flat fee of 6% so the s/h here astonded me! but then someone told me with books, its a media rate so that is cheaper anyway....I have noticed that there are a few other home party companies I have dealt with that are 10% too...I think partylite is, and they are sometimes just itty bitty candles!! =)

But I do love stampin' up so I will pay it! =)

Anna
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Quote:

Wow! Your stamp stores must be really expensive!! I can get really nice background stamps around here for $11-14 while with shipping I pay almost $19 at SU. I just bought a Hero Arts set of 6 stamps for $15 (no shipping). With SU you might get 6-8 stamps for $20 but usually 2-3 of them are mini stamps or stamps I really do not want anyway. I often buy a set just to get 1/2 the stamps and the others go in my yard sale. I still must disagree that they are cheaper (much less 40% cheaper).

I bristle at your suggestion that you "love" Stampin' Up! I guess I have just read way too many negative remarks in your posts (and not just this thread) that are specific to your opinion that Stampin' Up! is overpriced, gauges on shipping, offers inferior stamp pads, is unable to correct problems, is lacking in customer service, and is, in your opinion, just not a good company. Do you have anything specific that you "love" about Stampin' Up!? I really am curious...

:?
Now I've wrecked my resolution to stay out of these bashing threads. SORRY! But, in for a dime, in for a dollar! This is JMO and observation. I personally feel the 10% is fair and I don't see a problem with it. There will always be those who disagree and feel the need to discuss it or complain about it, but the fact remains that all consumers are free to choose with whom they do business. I find it interesting though, that any consumer would extend their precious stampin' dollars with one hand and then bash the merchant with the other.

One last suggestion...perhaps you could save this large order for a time frame when your most fabulous demo is offering a free shipping promo?
Polyshrink Goddess

I am always kind of surprised when people make this personal instead of addressing the content.

Yes, I do not like the sagging of the new pads and I will not buy them.
Yes, I LOVE the SU colors so I buy reinkers and blank pads and make my own.

Yes, I think the shipping is too high and that they have to be making a profit. When you order 4 markers and pay almost $4 shipping someone is making a profit.
Yes, I will order from demos who offer free shipping or when SU has the free shipping promo.

Yes, I have had defective stamps from SU (3 in 3 months).
Yes, they fixed they replaced them.

Yes, I think that some of the sets and especially the backgrounds are overpriced.
Yes, I will order them when I get a deal.

Yes, SU has for years advertised that they are a bargain BECAUSE you mount and cut them yourselves.
Yes, they are no longer saying that for the last few years because you no longer get a price break for cutting and mounting them (hours of work sometimes, plus you really need special scissors to do it well).

The remark about my demo has made me wonder if demos here do not want people to know that some demos go beyond the call of duty because then they will be expected to do the same thing.

Certainly no company is perfect, but your implication that we should never say a thing against the realities of the issues that exist at SU makes it look like demos only want to hear what is perfect rather than work to get things fixed. Good companies want to hear the complaints as much as the positives.
Stampin' Fool

I tend to disagree with the poster who said stampin up is expensive, I have been stamping for 7-8 years, worked at a stamp/scrap store, dealt with all kinds of companys such psx, hero arts, denami and many more. I got involved with stampin up by going to a party about two years ago, signed one year ago and I have no doubt in my mind that stampin up is a better product all around, for example flexibile everyday phrases which is 57.95 canadian, but 56 small stamps the same size would run you at least 2-4 dollars depending on the store. Stampin Up is just a much better company, but that's my personal opinion
Polyshrink Goddess

Looks like other boards are talking aobut this same topic today!

http://www.gingerstamp.com/bboard/bo...ges/75092
Polyshrink Goddess

PS, I hope it is OK to link to other places. If not, sorry.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I am always kind of surprised when people make this personal instead of addressing the content.
I think it becomes personal for demos because we love and believe in this company. It's frustrating to see so much negative here and very little positive. Franky, were I as unhappy with a company as you seem to be, I wouldn't buy from them. Not even when there is a "deal." Giving them my business, regardless if it is $1 or $1000 supports them.

Nothing personal at all-- I think constructive criticism is helpful. But doing it here isn't going to get anyone anywhere. Call SU! and voice your opinions.
Pearl-ExPert

It is not my intent to get personal. I have a vague recollection of reading recently of your satisfaction with your own demo, and am thinking she may occasionally offer a free shipping promo, as many of us do. My intent was to offer you a valid solution to your complaints as to the high cost of shipping on large orders.

Focusing in on the problems and the negatives is not my style. I prefer to move on to a potential solution w/out adding to the negativity. Your solution to your stamp pad issue is a good one. A positive one. However, when you dwell on your attitude that the original product is inferior, you are hanging onto the negative. There are many of us who love the new stamp pads, however we don't go around posting about the various reasons why we may think the old style is inferior. My attitude is, whatever works for you is just great! And I am truly sincere in that regard.

Happy Stampin'!
Polyshrink Goddess

I think I post much more positives about SU than negatives and yes, I have contacted the company as have my friends and we get back "form style e-mails" and we don't see change.

The things I like about SU? I like the samples in the catalogs. I LOVE their colors. I LOVE their designs. I like that they replace defective products without question. I like that they ship in a reasonably timely fashion. I like their wheels better than any of the other companies' wheels. I think the slit punch is amazing. I think they have the best sentiments of any company. I use 3 demos (all for different reasons) and like each for different reasons. I totally love the mini catalogs coming just when I need new ideas. I think SellABration is a genius idea.

My sister is a new stamper and I bought her several of the March Special sets and I think those were a wonderful deal.

Should I have to dump a company because they are not perfect? Should I never let a complaint cross my lips because it offends the loyal demos here? Come on folks, we are grown ups and can talk about the good and the bad.
Crimping Master

Could we all let dot2dot's tag line sink in and let this go?
Glitter Guru

First of all if you are ordering markers, they take up a lot of space in the box once they are wrapped with the paper (So the marker box doesn't get broken or smushed while being shipped). I know this because I just had a $750 party, nothing broken. Also I received 2 LARGE boxes that were a mixture of stamps, 2 marker sets, reinkers, wheel guide, individual stamp pads, and a couple packs of paper. Now when I ordered this I didn't think that this stuff would be too heavy, but these two boxes were VERY heavy and packed very well and once again nothing was broken OR missing.

I also love the fact that I can get the id # and track the packages to see when I will be getting them. Plus from the time they were entered they were here in OH in 5 days...pretty good!

one thing was BO and they shipped that 2 day Air and was here 2 days after the original 2 boxes...I didn't have to pay extra for that

ADDED: I went to the page listed and it almost seems like you might of posted it...simular situation...not trying to be snarky....

Mindy

The Digi-Freak

I don't like paying shipping anywhere ;) but I'm sure the companies feel the same way I do ;) No one wants to pay it, but everyone wants their stuff shipped ;)

Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I am always kind of surprised when people make this personal instead of addressing the content
Amen, Sister!
I am an avid Stampin' Up! customer, (Just ask my demonstrator!) but I've been upset by the expense of shipping and handling on large orders, too! Whenever anyone voices any kind of complaint about SU! sooo many on this site take it much too personally! :?
Companies should take heed of those who are vocal about their dissatisfaction...in most cases, they just want to be heard. Companies should be more worried about those customers who say nothing when unhappy and just stop buying.
Stampin' Up! is a mail order company...I cannot and will not believe that they are "losing money" on shipping! If they were, they would not be able to continue to do business, plain and simple.
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdetloff
one thing was BO and they shipped that 2 day Air and was here 2 days after the original 2 boxes...I didn't have to pay extra for that

Mindy
That 2 day air is THE BOMB baby! And I doubt it's cheap! I once had an order where the backordered items arrived the day BEFORE the rest of the order!

Now THAT was awesome, friends!
Hardware Hotshot

I have to say that while I ALWAYS cringe at paying shipping for ANYTHING I order from ANYWHERE, I do honestly believe SU! has fair shipping prices. I just placed orders from two different home-party plans from parties my friends had, and on both of my orders I paid MORE than 10% shipping. Also, both of these orders contain items that will not weigh as much as boxes of wood-mounted stamps.

I understand that not every order we place from SU is stamps, but eventually usually everyone's order does include those heavy stamps, and so it equals out. There are other things like cardstock that can get pretty 'weighty' when added up as well.
The Digi-Freak

and I've heard suggestions that SU could charge actual shipping, but how exactly does THAT work during a demo?

Just a sec while I go add up how heavy your package will be (??)

Polyshrink Goddess

The very same way other companies charge actual shipping. Every item is pre-weighed and is listed in the catalog with weight. You pay so much per ounce. It takes seconds to figure.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

deleted by me

Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think their shipping is unfair....Just an example...I ordered Pampered Chef from a friends catalog party..my item total was $19.00 but I had to pay $3.25 shipping...and that is a heck of a lot more than 10% on my total. This PC party totalled more than $1000 but PC just charges a flat rate of $3.25 regardless of the total...not fair to someone who only needs to order a 75 cent citrus peeler and way fair to the person ordering $200 worth of stuff. Same goes with SU....I ordered $150 worth of cardstock and cardstock only....that freaking box was so heavy..but shipping was only $15...trust me when I say it weighed a heck of a lot more than $15 worth of shipping.

Also...SU promised items in time for Christmas with a deadline ordering date of Dec. 17th..know how they did that? They sent everything 2nd day air and not ONE single customer had to pay the extra shipping that cost.

Someone already brought up the fact that they do not hold back for backordered items and then when the b/o item comes in ..they send it second day air....again, not charging a thing extra.

I really believe it all washes out in the end but quite frankly...I really believe that they take somewhat of a loss on shipping....
JMHO