Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you feel if

you created a card you were pretty darn happy with - so much so in fact, that you upload it to a site (any site) or take it to a meeting or a swap (where it of course receives RAVE reviews ) and then open a mag, or go to stampers showcase, and THERE is YOUR card.....only not really, it's your card with the exception of one thing: the set used. How would you feel?

Please know I am not trying to be smart or play devils advocate, I truly wonder how you would feel....and no, I have not done this to someone (nor am I planning to) and yes, it has kind of happened to me, but not on such a public scale.

Thoughts? Feelings?

Thanks Tammy.....and yes, I go both ways: creative with elements of casing
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

well ~ If it was almost like mine, except the set was different, I might not notice! :lol:

but if I did, I'd probably think "HEY great minds think alike!"

(& secretly be happy that I had made one so similar as the 'spotlighted' one! )

It might even give me the courage to post or enter my stuff somewhere...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying your design was outright copied and submitted to a mag??
If it was exactly, I might be irritated, then find out who submitted it, and are they someone you know.

Otherwise it might seem more like a coincidence!
Yandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, some stamp sets you can only seem to do so much and with soooo many creative people in the world and this site, I think it would be easy to make a similar card to someone else without realizing it. Also if it was a different set, but your card was similar I guess it should make you feel good that, your card is good enough to be in a magazine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Default Hmmm....

That sounds tough at first. On one hand, we get *so* proud, we love to share and we want to inspire others and we don't *mind* if someone CASEs our work. I don't mind anyway. But here is where it gets easy: If I didn't concept it, or didn't create it, or the layout isn't mine...there is no "ethical dilemma" here...*I DON'T SUBMIT IT*! Period.

I guess for me: CASE if you see something you enjoy...it's certainly flattering to be CASE-worthy! Submit if you feel compelled to do so. But please, out of courtesy give credit where credit is due.

Just my NSHO... ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

It says a great deal about your talents if someone chooses to copy and share your ideas with others. What higher compliment could you receive?

Smile and be happy that you have such a gift to share. :P

Splitcoaststampers is not only a place where we can share our ideas... through sample cards... but also a place to gain ideas to boost our own creative cardmaking... is it not?

Thank you for sharing... and by so doing you may bring joy to the hearts of many.

AngelDust
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I might feel...if I understand what you're saying....that people would think I had cased the card...and it was not my orignial work....and I might think great minds work a like, I see similar layouts all the time...and embellishing..and color combos. I love to get ideas from SCS and to share mine and beam over positive feedback...I hope we all keep sharing and grow from the experiences we get here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

They say that imatation is the highest form of flattery,
But, this has happend to me and I was ticked off.
It was a friend that did it.
I don't think it would have bothered me if I didn't know the person.
But she was showing everyone and taking credit for it.
Oh well, worse things in life happen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's another thread on the same issue if you want a lot more opinions.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:23 PM   #10  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes, please read the other thread.

I cannot tell you how many times I've cased a card but changed ONE THING. Which means it's not cased, it's inspired. I frequently like a layout or colors or both, but just use a different set.

If I ever did deliberately copy a card exactly and submit it someplace, I'm not sure I could live with myself. I could live with myself if I copied it just to send it to someone for their birthday, though!

After all, we're all here to share, it's not an art gallery like where you go to look, it's an inspiration gallery.

Also, on another group where it's just cards, I cannot tell you how many times someone says, "This was CASEd from somebody but I don't remember who or where." ... so why bother saying that? Maybe to appease the people that get hurt when they are CASEd.

Personally I would be so honored to be cased, even if I wasn't mentioned. I would either think they were inspired, or GMTA.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #11  
Failed Lurker

For years a friend of mine has been trying to write a novel. I cannot count the number of times she has called me with her latest unique idea, only to hear me respond: "Ah. I read that last week." Or she'd turn on the TV and see the latest new author talking about her own newly-published unique idea which is exactly the same as my friend's.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #12  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I hope she has a day job!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 01:48 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Very possible that 2 people had the same good idea. kk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 02:58 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

If I see a card "layout" that I like, I will sketch it. (much like the Sketch Challenges or Becky Higgins' books). Later, when I'm looking for inspiration, I will use my sketches to help me lay out a card.
Since you said she didn't use the same stamp set, maybe she just used the layout idea.
I wouldn't have even recognized it if it were me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 04:01 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I know that sometimes these things are hard to "swallow!" That being said, as an SU demo, I am always excited to see people using SU products in any format they see fit. Some people have that creative edge that lets us dream up beautiful layouts....some people do not have that creative edge...I am just happy to see people stamping, no matter what they are stamping...sometimes, people show me some of their work...sometimes, it looks a lot like mine and I am flattered. Sometimes, it looks nothing like my work, but I love that they are trying. As long as my customers are happy and they are enjoying it I don't care where or who they get their ideas from!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 04:43 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Actually, that can happen without someone actually copying your card....Here's a story..... I stamped a card the other morning for a swap (so I didn't post it anywhere online) about 3 hours later I saw a card posted on a different board I am on, and it was almost exactly the same--even the same set!!!! I groaned thinking someone would think I CASED their card (which I seldom do). Hopefully that was the case with your card.

Just wanted to let you know that it does happen without it being intentional.

Michelle Neuendorf

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/michellenstamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can empathize...when I was in art school there was one girl with whom I was friends, and if I showed her any project I was working on, when we would turn in our work (and have to critique it in front of the class) hers would always have a similar concept to mine. This happened too many times to be a coincidence. It was very frustrating, and I got to the point that I had to keep what I was working on under wraps until we turned it in. I HATED having to do that. I also taught a class once where a guy took the handout with copious amounts of research I had done, removed my name taught the class in his home town and passed it off as his own. Then, the same thing happened with TWO different demos who copied my ideas for swaps for regionals/convention. I am an open person, and I like sharing. I will continue to share, and if people copy without giving credit, then I'll just live with it. If I'm concerned about entering something for a contest or publication, then I wouldn't show it until afterwards. But I still like to share. I just loaded my first pic here the other day, and loved getting comments back. Creativity is a funny thing. It must be shared, and those who are not creative seem to want it. Maybe they think they came up with the idea and don't realize they've actually seen it somewhere else. I do CASE things I've seen, but would NEVER enter it in a formal outlet and call it my own. I will tell people if I borrowed the idea, but the whole point of this website is to share ideas IMHO. Sorry this ended up being so long. Guess I didn't realize I had to get all that off my chest! :lol:

�.��* .��*��))
-:�:-
((��.��*~
Beth.��*��))
-:�:- �� ((��.��* .��*((��.�.�� *-:�:- ...

I'm always up to Something...
My Daughter is up to stuff too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first start visiting SCS ( I now live here) and I saw a topic about this I told my hubby what it said. He gave me some good advice....he said you are posting your card on a site with over 20,000 viewers, with that come the chance of it being shared/copied, if you don't want it shared then don't post it. I have probably only created 3-4 original cards, the rest are copied, I would be lost without ideas from other people. And I believe some of my cards have been copied without anyone saying they copied from me, but it doesn't matter to me I am just glad to be able to come here and learn from all the great stampers. If I don't take the time to submit an idea and someone else does then good for them and my loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 AM   #19  
PAPER SCAPER

If you post your work on a public forum it is no doubt going to be copied by someone and I think you should be flattered than someone liked your work. My husband and I said the same exact thing that jstarbright mentioned her husband saying in the post just above mine.
Berta will be happy to know I saw her Classic 57 Chevy and made up some using what I had on hand in stamp designs. It doesn’t look the same but the idea to start me off came from her. Ten soldiers in Iraq will be thrilled to get the idea Breta started for me.
The other post that is going on which Toni felt cased, well I have to admit I’ve done a card similar to hers and it was my own idea. Toni’s was more elegant looking than mine but still a very similar idea.
There is another post going on right now about a new crimper style which two of us have admitted we have done that before. But so many readers got a great idea from her posting about a technique new to her and she came up with it on her own also. And I’m thinking her beautiful card may be a good simple style for me to show the senior ladies I’m helping to get started in stamping. So Mona Lisa started me on a new idea again.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Here’s a word of advice though. If you’re entering a design in a contest DO NOT POST IT for the world to see before the end of the contest. I’ve seen this done and wondered what they were thinking. And if a friend cases your idea and publicly takes credit for it and it bothers you, just politely say “Oh, I see you used the idea I showed you�? and drop it at that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 06:44 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default cards

I think sometimes that I'm the world's biggest caser, but sometimes in old age, your brain goes dead! I want to thank all the wonderful people that post cards on this site, myself included, I think, but I do have one little tiny thing to say. I don't have alot of the "wonderful word" stamps, so I tend to hand write them myself. Since my last name is Bloom, I used it to create a card for MIL. Last week I saw the idea used on SCS and I thought, hey they used my idea---how wonderful is that, that I could help somebody else instead of taking!!!!

Just try and remember if you think someone "took" your idea, they thought enough of it to use it!!!!

:lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I made my sister a black and white anniversary card a few years ago and then, like 9 months later she saw "her" card in a stamp magazine, contributed by someone else. I never showed that card to any one. All I can say is there isn't anything new under the sun. If you think of it more than likely someone else has thought of it too.

Catherine
Stampin' on the bayou in Louisiana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 07:41 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I recently hosted a swap with a 'mascultine' theme. These are all people that I swap with monthly. I had my cards finished before any of the other ones came in. I opened the package from one of my buddies and ours were VERY similar (same stamp, same colors, similar layout, different embellishments). Everyone got a kick out of it because they were so similar yet neither of us shared what we were doing.

I just recently posted a picture of a card I'm doing this month at workshops. Someone saw it and posted that she was doing a VERY similar card...same same, same layout, same basic color scheme, same embellishment...yet neither of us had seen the others cards.

I know that is difficult...but sometimes it is that 'great minds think alike!'

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #23  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

I'd be thinking "Bummer. Sure wish I had thought it was good enough when I made it to get accepted to XX magazine. I should have mailed it in!" :shock:
Old 03-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would feel horrible if I knew it was intentional, especially if it were for a contest or publication.

That said, I do know these things also happen *coincidentally* sometimes. I had worked on a swap for here and was showing my demo the card I was so proud of. She looked surprised for a moment and blinked before she said, "wow, we just did this at my last stamp camp" (note, she had just become my demo, and met a few days before). Except for a ribbon and one other tiny thing, it was the same card, down to the same colors. We both laughed at how small the world truly is.

Tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

As always, great input....and yes, I have read the other threads. No, I am not bitter, and yes, I am pleased to have been cased I was just wondering what others felt about the topic of publication of totally cased cards. I understand (I'm smarter than I look! ) that there are only so many ways to work a set and that a particular fabulous card (layout, colors, elements) would look great with another set......the moral of the story: Don't be afraid to submit your work for consideration in mags!!!!

thanks all, Tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

[quote} And if a friend cases your idea and publicly takes credit for it and it bothers you, just politely say “Oh, I see you used the idea I showed you�? and drop it at that.[/quote]

This is what I was looking for.....thank you, succinct but not nasty. Thanks to you all. And remember, it's not that I'm against casing at all, I just had a personal situation that bothered me!

Tammy
I'm Smarter than I look!
Reply With Quote Likes