Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone noticed the ART OF LIFE Hostess set is on ebay

Has anyone noticed that the ART OF LIFE hostess set has already made its way onto ebay? And that the current price for it is $44 with 8 people bidding? Don't get me wrong I like the set, but think of all the other ones you could buy for that much. Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I cringe when I see people paying more than they should for those sets. I assume that they aren't near a SU! demo,perhaps they are out of the country? Too bad, they could get more for their money!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

i'd like to know who has it on, i hope it isn't a demo!!

i'm a crazy red-head
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=6272
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

It is a neverending cycle that will never go away. People are always going to cheat the system but what comes around goes around. I'm sure they won't get away with it forever.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

There are 10 of them for sale on Ebay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

It sold on Ebay last night for $49.75! I really don't understand some people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Today some sets of AOL sold for $50 and $64. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

For $400 I could have it --- and LOTS of other stuff too!!!
Don't laugh, but I'm almost there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankgirl
I hope not either. Rules are for everybody, not those who choose to obey.

eBay is an evil place, with the promise of bargain basement deals for the buyer and an untold fortune for the seller. I was outbid by ONE DOLLAR in the last 15 seconds of an auction yesterday for a set of 9 of the 10 Star Trek movies on DVD ( :shock: yes, I LOVE Start Trek). Oh, the frustration! AND, I had to let go the retired Elementary Days set AND matching wheel for a measly $26! Where were these people who are paying $50 for Art of Life when I was selling my set?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think part of the appeal is how things are worded. "not available in any catalog" "retired and rare" "be the first to have one" "available only to hostesses with a $400 party"

People who don't know SU seem to respond to these things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by azure722
I think part of the appeal is how things are worded. "not available in any catalog" "retired and rare" "be the first to have one" "available only to hostesses with a $400 party"

I've been real tempted to email the buyers about it sometimes. I often wonder too if the sellers don't have someone bidding just to up the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Just surfing ebay out of curiosity. Girl Power is going for $60!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

:( but i want it really badly :( *sniff* This is a bad month for me so I am glad that I have 2 more to try to earn the set... Funny how some sets just click with some people and some click with others!!! I just love this set! However, there are plenty I do not like that are popular... Ok, I am going to look at ebay now (but not buy!!!)...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

So many of the sets I have are retired. When I see them sold on ebay for astronomical prices I think WOW I could make a ton of money. But I just can't part with my sets!!! I sold 2 sets on there and have been kicking myself ever since. I have Girl Power, paid $14.95 or something like that. KEEPING IT FOREVER!!! When I move I will get a second moving truck for my stamps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I was just surfing the eBay listings for Art of Life and noticed one seller is selling each stamp individually. In fact, she is selling LOTS of stamps from sets individually. I can't understand why people would do that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I don't think Ebay is to blame, if people are listing sets they shouldn't be listing that is wrong, BUT if people are willing to pay above and beyond, that is their choice. If someone is "into" stamping they know how much a Stampin Up set costs, and they have their "price" they are willing to pay. I would say most people on Ebay know what they are doing-everyone has their price for the item they "have to have".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'HappyInCT
I was just surfing the eBay listings for Art of Life and noticed one seller is selling each stamp individually. In fact, she is selling LOTS of stamps from sets individually. I can't understand why people would do that!
The "Many Thanks" stamp from AYC I is a "favorite" in that set and some people may just want that one stamp. It is more appealing to the buyer to spend, say $7.95, to get the "Many Thanks" stamp, than to pay $29.95 for the whole set and only use that one stamp out of the whole set. Those of us who buy sets, of course, know that once you get a set, you'll use them all and LOVE them all. Basically, it is a money thing. If a seller seperates the stamps into individual auctions, he/she will more than likely get more for selling them individually than selling them as a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimilou
Quote:

Originally Posted by azure722
I think part of the appeal is how things are worded. "not available in any catalog" "retired and rare" "be the first to have one" "available only to hostesses with a $400 party."

I've been real tempted to email the buyers about it sometimes.
I know the feeling. I actually tried to e-mail someone who had paid more than $19.95 for "Sincere Salutations," but couldn't figure out how. I thought that if you clicked on the user's name it would make an e-mail link to them, but I was directed to their profile, from which I couldn't see how to send an e-mail. So, I tried clicking on their "score" and came up with the same thing.

Quote:

I often wonder too if the sellers don't have someone bidding just to up the price.
If they do, it is a BIG eBay "no, no!" It is called schill bidding and is illegal. I'm watching an auction for some DVD's and wonder if there is a little bit of schill bidding going on because the price skyrocketed within hours of the 7-day auction's opening. GRRR. I'm considering reporting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I know the feeling. I actually tried to e-mail someone who had paid more than $19.95 for "Sincere Salutations," but couldn't figure out how. I thought that if you clicked on the user's name it would make an e-mail link to them, but I was directed to their profile, from which I couldn't see how to send an e-mail. So, I tried clicking on their "score" and came up with the same thing.
It's a good thing you didn't!!! I don't want to be a killjoy especially since your intentions are of the best. But I have to look out for my SCS sisters.

While surfing for information on shill bidding the other day, I re-read the user agreement and all that fuss. It says that as an eBay user you agree not to email/phone/otherwise contact anyone who is currently involved (or past) in an auction with the intention of taking them away from that particular auction. This includes informing them of a similar auction going on for less money--even on eBay, selling off-site, and the like.

Basically, even though you wanted to help that buyer, if eBay found out they would consider it as wrong as shill bidding. We know that's far from the fact, but I guess they employ a "buyer beware" attitude.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but wanted to look out for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Default emailed ebay

I sent an email to ebay today... doubt if it will do any good... or if they will even answer me. I just think they should know how some of us feel. While I realize I do not speak for us all, this is how I feel about the whole ebay thing. I have customers who try and try to get stuff on ebay cheaper than they can get it from me and it is frustrating when they actually do, since the company is based on home workshops and catalog sales. It goes against everything they are about. So this is what I wrote. Just thought some might be interested. Hey... if all of us who are unhappy with the current situation would write them... wonder what would happen then?

Item number 8176525865 is only available to hostesses and is a FREE appreciation set. I want to inquire whether or not you are aware that people are selling Stampin' Up! products currently listed in their catalog on your site which is against their policy for demonstrators. They also have specific copyright laws regarding the use of their images. I am complaining, because I have recently become a demonstrator for Stampin' Up!, and it seems very unfair to me that you let this activity continue with no regard to those of us who do this for a living or those customers who pay way too much for SU items. Stampin' Up! products are available only through our catalog and home workshops and selling current items on ebay is strictly prohibited for demonstrators, although I am sure some of the current auctions are demonstrators. Please consider this complaint and inform me if I am out of line. It just makes me so angry to see these sellers taking advantage of people with EXTREMELY overpriced SU product. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

I certainly understand the frustration about the "cheater demos" who sell on eBay. Frankly, unless its a current catalog, eBay will not end an auction unless Stampin' UP! tells them too.

Customers who are not demonstrators are allowed to sell on eBay, even if its a current set. So, if a customer earns Art of Life, and doesn't want it (personally, I'd say she's nuts) but she has every right to sell on eBay.

The only thing we can do is scroll down the auction, click on "email this item to a friend" and send it to [email protected]

They will contact eBay & have an auction removed...

What drives me crazy is that there are eBayers who have eBay stores and sell nothing but Stampin UP! stamps. Though I've sent her auctions to Stampin UP! she continues to sell sell sell....I wonder if she earned the cruise?

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:44 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

You may want to take out the ebayers name. Against SCS policy.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieStamps
Quote:

eBay is an evil place, with the promise of bargain basement deals for the buyer and an untold fortune for the seller. I was outbid by ONE DOLLAR in the last 15 seconds of an auction yesterday for a set of 9 of the 10 Star Trek movies on DVD ( :shock: yes, I LOVE Start Trek). Oh, the frustration! AND, I had to let go the retired Elementary Days set AND matching wheel for a measly $26! Where were these people who are paying $50 for Art of Life when I was selling my set?

Selling your set?? Hope YOU aren't a demo!

Robin

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

I have wondered about buying Su sets on ebay also. I try and keep track of what the current price is, so I won't pay way over. but last month when I saw several of the half price sets listed I did put in some bids. they went on to sell for more than full price even. But after the action was over I was contacted by two different people that they were on half price and I could get them through them. One seller was $3 on three sets cheaper than half price and shipping was similar. What surprised me when I got htme was that they were shipped in a SU box with the shipping/package label and everything. I wonder how this can be if these people aren't demos. I am not a demo, but I don't want to do anything in the gray areas. I want to support demos and the company all I can. I know it works best when things are run like they were set up to run. I learn a lot from reading all you guys' comments on this forum, so wanted to see what the thoughts are on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmnett
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieStamps
Quote:

eBay is an evil place, with the promise of bargain basement deals for the buyer and an untold fortune for the seller. Oh, the frustration! I had to let go the retired Elementary Days set AND matching wheel for a measly $26! Where were these people who are paying $50 for Art of Life when I was selling my set?

Selling your set?? Hope YOU aren't a demo!

Robin
I am a demo, but I wasn't selling an Art of Life set. I was wondering where the people who are paying $50 for the Art of Life sets were when I was selling my retired Elementary Days set (selling retired sets is perfectly OK) and why they didn't want my set for $50 either. Sorry for the confusion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:17 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValerieJ
What surprised me when I got them was that they were shipped in a SU box with the shipping/package label and everything. I wonder how this can be if these people aren't demos.
Sounds fishy to me. If they came shipped in SU! boxes that is one thing. I save my boxes for wrapping presents and shipping swaps, etc. BUT, if they had an SU! shipping/packaging label on them that is another. Was there an SU! packing slip in the box & was it packed with brown paper? Those are clues that this item was a "direct customer order," or in other words, they had the items shipped directly to you from Stampin' Up! If it came like that, either the person IS a demo or is "working" for a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I cringe when I see people paying more than they should for those sets. I assume that they aren't near a SU! demo,perhaps they are out of the country? Too bad, they could get more for their money!
I started looking in e-bay hoping to save money on some of the more expensive sets I want. I saw how so many people way overbid this stuff and when you add the outrageous shipping on some of these things - ugh! it was just frustrating. Anyway, I actually did e-mail a buyer, but only after the end of the auction. I asked her if she was in a remote area, if there was a demo near her or why she paid so much more for stamps than their sale price. She responded that she did it mainly for the convenience since she has small children that demand a lot of her time and also that the stamps had already been cut out and mounted which she hated doing. Ok, so I kind of understand, but that ruins it for everyone else trying to save. Oh well, I'll stick to buying brand new from SU! - they are well worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

certainly understand the frustration about the "cheater demos" who sell on eBay. Frankly, unless its a current catalog, eBay will not end an auction unless Stampin' UP! tells them too.

Customers who are not demonstrators are allowed to sell on eBay, even if its a current set. So, if a customer earns Art of Life, and doesn't want it (personally, I'd say she's nuts) but she has every right to sell on eBay.

The only thing we can do is scroll down the auction, click on "email this item to a friend" and send it to [email protected]

They will contact eBay & have an auction removed...
Thanks for that link! I'm not a demo, but I try my darndest to support you all. I'm fairly new to stamping so there are a lot of "true" retired sets that I look for (I am cautious about overspending though). However, it drives me bonkers that current sets are listed as retired. It's misleading and if it's a demo-I'm sure they are doing it to boost sales by putting a "urgent, BIN" feeling to the set. Then you have a few people who bought the set, used it or didn't and see that the set is listed as retired so they put theirs up as retired because of the demos. I've been emailing them, being nice, but informing them that it is misleading and basically fraudulent (direct them to the correct catalog page). I've seen a couple of them updated to reflect current status, but not all, which made me wonder. Now I know what to do with those.

Tam
Reply With Quote Likes