Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to my 2nd SU party

I am going to my 2nd SU party this weekend & my wish list is way too long. If you were just starting out stamping & had $60 (Canadian) to spend, what would you invest in? I have non SU paper, a few SU sets that I am enjoying, Bold Brights & Soft Subtles Stampin' spots, blender pen, aquapainter, Non SU watercolour pencils(never used), prisma colour pencils (never used) and non SU eyelets. I think that is about it.
Opinions & suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Oops...forgot to mention that at the last party I bought the wheel & black in & refill. Also I have no word or alphabet sets. I also do have a top boss pad with embossing powder and a versamark pen.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would buy some Ultra Smooth White Paper and some USVanilla Paper...two things you can't go wrong on!
And also I would also get an asstd pack of the BB and SS papers...you will be amazed how much better your projects look with coordinating paper to ink and how you will see the difference when you stamp on the US White and US Vanilla. I am not sure how much that costs...but that is what I would advise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I would definatley invest in some Rich Regals and White paper, a stamp set like In Full Bloom and some gingham ribbon. Another thing of SU's that I love it their Canvas background stamp. It dresses up a card so wonderful and it is so easy to use.

Happy Shopping
Wendy

Mom to Chris (6) & Debbie ( !
Wife to fantastic hubby Don !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I agree with Sereikastamper, get the coordinating paper for the inks you have and a SU basic black pad if you don't have one. The ultrasmooth white is also a paper you can't go wrong with but if you use the blender pens and aquapainters a lot then you might want to try some of the confeit cardstock, it works great with those. Dazzling diamonds glitter is a good way to step a project up a little also...sorry i know nothing about the exchange rate so i ahve no idea how much these suggestions come to.

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 06:53 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Default Purchase dilemma

Hi,

I like the natural white paper. The March special has sincere salutations and lovely as a tree on 50% off - Sincere salutations has words for everything and lovely as a tree is very versaatile - I've used it for guy cards, Christmas, thinking of you, Thanks etc. And at 50 % off you can get more for your money. I liked having the assorted paper packs too - then you have a bit of everything to try out and decide which your favorite colors are before buying bulk packs. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there!

I am a Demo, and I would like to suggest a few things.

I have several new stampers in my workshops, and one of the BEST things to have is a Versamark pad!

You ink up the stamp in the versamark pad, then stamp it onto colored cardstock. What you are left with is a "watermark...." It gives you the illusion of having the "matching" ink for whatever color your cardstock is....it is beautiful for backgrounds.

You can also use it later to emboss!

When you get the chalks, you can use it for "Poppin Pastels." You stamp an image in versamark on white cardstock, then rub chalk over top. Absolutely gorgeous! (I use the sponge daubers for this technique.)

Another thing to get is a black ink pad! This way your ink will not bleed when you watercolor.

Some Gold or Silver Brads would be a nice embellishment to begin with, and maybe a spool of ribbon!

Have a great time with your new goodies!

Blessings,
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there!

I am a Demo, and I would like to suggest a few things.

I have several new stampers in my workshops, and one of the BEST things to have is a Versamark pad!

You ink up the stamp in the versamark pad, then stamp it onto colored cardstock. What you are left with is a "watermark...." It gives you the illusion of having the "matching" ink for whatever color your cardstock is....it is beautiful for backgrounds.

You can also use it later to emboss!

When you get the chalks, you can use it for "Poppin Pastels." You stamp an image in versamark on white cardstock, then rub chalk over top. Absolutely gorgeous! (I use the sponge daubers for this technique.)

Another thing to get is a black ink pad! This way your ink will not bleed when you watercolor.

Some Gold or Silver Brads would be a nice embellishment to begin with, and maybe a spool of ribbon!

Have a great time with your new goodies!

Blessings,
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I am also a demo and have to agree with Julie. Versamark with Stampin' Pastels is fabulous! I always suggest my customers have a versatile set of phrases and what could be better than "Sincere Salutations" on sale right now! Have a great time and the workshop...maybe you should book your own workshop and start earning some hostess benefits!

Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree about the Basic Black pad, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I read what you have. Spots are fine but you do need the big black pad. Also I agree about the Sincere Salutations, hopefully it's on sale in Canada as well. Now are you are talking about $60.00 after PST, GST and shipping and handling? (I am a Canadian and have to tell you, I don't miss the GST.) if you have any money left after Paul Martin gets ahold of it, get paper in one of the colour families you have in spots, you won't regret it. Trust me cards look way better with matching quality cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I agree about the matching cardstock, a package of US white, and Basic Black, but I'd get Basic Brown, as well. It gives a much softer look that I think you'll really like with the subtles. I'd also take a hard look at the March specials. Those are all great sets and I'd definitely pick up Sincere Salutations, if nothing else. I'm sure you won't be sorry.
Good luck deciding (I know how hard that is) and let us know what you pick!

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #11  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love SU's paper!! wouldn't ever think about using anything else because it is just awesome paper. I like Stipple Celebrations and the Sincere Salutations together also!! 2 very versatile sets and they are both on sale!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a Canadian Demo...I suggest:
Sincere Salutations...14.48
Ultrasmooth white cs...9.50
either Rich regals or Soft Subtles cs (your preference)...6.50
Now you still have 29.52 to play with...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I think the versamark pad is a great idea. Also do you have a Stampin Scrub? I freak out when I don't have mine. It's wonderful to clean stamps. I also love the organdy ribbon in white since you can use your stamp pads to color it to any one of our 48 colors you would like! It's beautiful on cards & scrapbook pages. I would also take advantage of the 50% off sets this month if any catch your eye. You won't be able to get a better deal on them & the new word set is great for making cards.

I could go on & on about alphabets sets, cardstock, etc... but why not host a workshop & get those items free! Have fun at your workshop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree w/michelle above plus what the other demo's said about a black pad and a versa mark. I LOVE MY VERSA MARK, could NOT stamp/scrapbook w/o it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a demo too...my suggestion is a versamark pad and Basic Black, as someone else previously suggested. Sincere Salutations is a great set, because it's on sale, but if you are looking for something to go on the inside as well, cheery chat is a great set, as well as versatile verses, but I would suggest CHeery Chat first...HTH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Group Leader

For sure coordinating card stock for your pads because once you have used the coordinating colors you will love stamping even more. Then I would take advantage of the March specials...and I would get Soft Subtles Spots too because of all the lovely flowers this time of year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

I would recomend getting the Sincere Salutations set - it is on sale, and I have found that a saying on a card really adds that little something special. After that, a variety paper pack to match one of your spots sets, the basic black pad (so you can use all the watercolor techniques) and either US white or Vanilla.

After that, depending on what sets you have, take a look at the other sets that are on sale this month. 50% off just can't be beat! Stipple celebrations and Shapes and Shdows are both really cute, and cover just about all seasons and occasions.

Or perhaps Summer by the Sea - it is great for watercoloring, and 50% off as well!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I would for sure take advantage of the 1/2 price stamp sets....especially the 'Sincere Salutations'! It will be the best way to make your money go as far as it can...with the exchange rate...it's really hard to make $60 go a long way...so get the half price as they may never be on again and they're amazing deals. Check SU site to see the 'Sincere Salutations'...it's so worth it...I still can't believe that set was on for 1/2 price. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

You ladies are awesome. My inner debate about whether to increase my stamp sets or actual stamping supplies is decided. I know I will get Sincere Saluations and c/s, and have to look through the catalogue tonight to see what other accessories. Will let you all know !!!
THANK YOU for your input !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Most definitely, order some BB and SS cardstock to match your stampin spots... the tone on tone is very effective. Here's a few suggestions (I love spending other people's money!!!) to help you on your way to many many cards:

BB cardstock............. 9.95
SS cardstock ............ 9.95
Veramark................. 11.50
Sincere Salutations ... 14.45
Gold Glory EP............ 6.50

Happy Stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoosh28
You ladies are awesome. My inner debate about whether to increase my stamp sets or actual stamping supplies is decided. I know I will get Sincere Saluations and c/s, and have to look through the catalogue tonight to see what other accessories. Will let you all know !!!
THANK YOU for your input !!!
Hope you have lots of fun tonight...and of course lots of fun with whatever goodies you purchase! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 03:12 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I realize that the party was last night....and I'm not sure what the total of the items below is...but I think I would suggest the following.

1. Sincere Salutations
2. Black Pad
3. Assorted Card Stock in one of the families you have spots for
4. Versamark
5. Another one of the 1/2 price sets - I would choose Lovely as a Tree for myself, but I have so many other sets....Something to Celebrate might be more versatile for now.

Please post what you ended up getting.......

Now - you DID book a workshop so that you can get more stuff for FREE, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Party is not until this coming Sunday...so still time to decide.
What about Crystal Effects, Pearl Ex and those sort of things? Are they easy to learn to use? Do you use them alot?
Looking like I may have to go over my original budget !
I can get a PSX full size black stamp pad here for about half the price of a SU one. To save money in the beginning, I know it wouldn't be as good as SU, but will it work so I can spend my budget on paper, etc that I can only get from SU ?

I think I will be booking a party then as well. Jumping right into this as I want to talk to the demo to see about signing up. This demo lives over an hour away & is the closest one to this town !! So may be a hole to fill, although I do not scrapbook & have no desire to scrapbook, so don't know how that would work just doing cards, etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:11 AM   #24  
brandon & Alex's mom

Default SU party

I agree with getting the US white and BB & SS card stocks. I also agree on getting the basic black ink pad. You are definitely going to want to get the craft and rubber scissors for cutting the stamps and the Stampin' Scrub pad and Stampin' Mist cleaner if you haven't bought them already.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I use my mini mates set A LOT!! And I think A greeting for all reasons is a very versitle set also. But--if I had to pick ONE item to go with in the entire catalog....it would be my sissors. They are tiny on the tip and you can cut out any shape with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 02:46 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

If you think you "might" want to fill that hole....you should look at what comes in the starter kit before you purchase anything! While you can pick and choose some of the itmes, the items that you get that cannot be substituted for are:

Stampin' Around Wheel
Stampin' Pastels
Stampin' Sponges
Large Cello Bags
Snail Adhesive
Craft & Rubber Scissors
Stampin' Mist
Stampin' Scrub
Versamark Pad
Basic Black Classic Pad

While scrapbooking can boost business...there is no rule that says you have to demo scrapbooking. If you wanted to, you could demo simple techniques that could be used in scrabooking....as well as cards. If I knew there was no other demo for an hour, I would seriously think about it....which you obviously have. I had only been to one SU workshop before I signed on....that was 3 years ago. I have never regretted it. I don't do a ton of workshops (I own my own business and just don;t have the time to do a lot) but I don't think I've ever paid for anyone of my SU stuff with my own money - except that initial starter kit.

Maybe, if you wanted to sign on, rather than booking a workshop that your demo soes, you do your own workshop and YOU get the benefits....and the instant income.....

please post what you end up doing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 03:14 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I also do not have too many supplies and sets yet, but the one thing I keep using over and over again is the canvas background stamp. Whenever a card needs a little something that is what I use.

I am getting my Sincere Salutations today (yea!) and I can't wait to make (case) a set of coordinating cards like I have seen here. It is a great deal and a beautiful, versatile useful set.

Have fun! I just joined a S10 so I am going to have some hard decisions to make every month for the next ten!!!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 03:24 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

What more is there to say? I agree with what has been said. A versamark pad is great for creating subtle background patterns and is soooo amazing with the pastels. Sincere Salutations is a must and I always advise to get at least one flower stamp set, which surprises me because I'm not a flower-type of person. However, it's amazing how versitale they can be. I LOVE terrific tulips...use it for all kinds of occassions, as well as FRESH FLOWERS - the flowers are great for girly things and the dragon-fly makes great "manly" cards with some rich regal or earth tone papers and inks.

Good Luck with your decision.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

About the black ink pad, I wouldn't substitute! SU's black pad is waterproof, which is a lifesaver if you're going to watercolor. (Water plus runny black ink...it's a BAD thing.) However, if you're planning to sign up, they'll send you black as part of your kit, so I'd hold off in that case. HTH!

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well just got back from the SU workshop (party) & thanks to all your wonderful advice, here is what I got.

Black Ink pad
Sincere Salutations
Mellow Moss cardstock
Soft Subtles Assorted cardstock
Crystal Effects

With my $60.00 budget (I HATE being on a budget but with going on vacation next week had to save some !) including s&h and taxes I spent $59.93 !! Still want Summer by the Sea stamps so may still order that one this week !
Thanks to all who inputted their GREAT advice !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Great Job...let us know what you make with your new treasures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

It sounds like you are at a similar place with your stamping that I am. I have some supplies but each decision of what to buy next is hard because there are so many options. At my second party I bought the chalks and a versamark pad. I have used the chalks a lot and gives me more color options for a small amount of money.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

get it all!!!

I know not possible, but maybe some accessories and expanding on the wheels if you are thinking cheap.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes