Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do non demos have any advice for demos?

Just to start -- you will get customers for life if you share your discount once in a while. It may not seem logical, but like most stores, if you offer a sale occassionally, you'd be surprised what we'd buy. It would boost your overall sales (there's a reason why Michael's does those 40% coupons!). I searched for a demo that did this and give her lots of business. There are a variety of ways to do this -- buy a certain amount and get a set at 20% off, free paper with purchase, etc. This may be hard if you are just starting out, but there are lots of demos out there and you need to be competitive!!

Any other non demos have suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 03:19 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re:

My demo never even tells us of the specials - I always ask about them, though, as I read about them on the SU site, lol :o)
I'm saving to be a demo and one idea I came up with is to have a basket of little stamping/scrapping related items that people can pick a gift from if they placed an order :o) We just moved into a new house and while I was organizing my craft room, I found out I have a million of "extras" that I could share... I hope to get some things sold at my first workshop - who doesn't like freebies???

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 03:48 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh great...another thread that'll end up in demo bashing.

I understand your point, but not everyone feels the way you do. I never give a discount because SU gives plenty of incentives for an already great product. I work HARD to design workshops that impress my customers. I work harder than my commission dictates, that's for sure. My customers are loyal to me (and have stated that they choose me over several other demos because they like my workshops best) because I work hard and deliver...not discounts but service and creativity.

Our commssion is not such that we can afford to do a lot of specials. Those demos that do probably aren't making much in the end. For instance, some demos do something like "Buy 4 packs of single-color CS and get a 5th for free." Do you know how much is made off that "sale"? That one sale eats up the instant income on every package of CS sold. The only amount a demo would make would be the "override" commission, which ranges based on sales. For an "average" demo, this is probably 7 or 8%...to make more than that a demo needs to sell over $3000 a month. Demos that are trying to add to their family income simply can't afford that. By the way, the cost of supplies to do the workshop has to come out of this amount as well, as does the cost of mailings, websites, etc.

I'm hoping that my response just gives you a bit of an idea where a demo is coming from when she doesn't offer sales or discounts. Our company offers them (which is what happens at Michael's, by the way) and so we shouldn't have to. I want my customers to be loyal based on my presentation, not on how much I'm willing to let them keep in their pockets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my demo and would never want to bash her!!!
The latest and greatest thing she does is email the current months specials, she also does some fun stuff like monthly get togethers where she will demo a technique (one Tuesday from 6;30 to 9;30 and then a Friday from 6- midnight). She also has a bi- monthly shoebox exchange (everyone just needs to make a $15 order and the "hostess" is rotated so every 10 times you get all the hostess benefits for the party like the stamp set, $ of free stuff etc), and she will ocassionally offer free shipping, a stamp pad or some other thing if you book a party and she has a party at least once a year with some fun party gifts. (incentive stamps, stamped greetings on matching paper that you just add to a card, ribbon, paper etc)
So there is a bunch of fun things you can do without giving away profit - but I myself love the free shipping..... I probably spend twice as much since I hate to pay that extra 10% on stuff.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

This isn't meant to be a demo bashing. I'm suggesting ways that in the long run will make demos more money, not less. Sorry if I offended!! No offense meant. Really! apart from discounts, any other ideas for demos??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:17 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would ever "bash" my demo either. I love her! She never shares her discount, and I would never expect her to. It doesn't bother me one iota.

One thing that she does, which I truly appreciate, is she tells people which items they can buy (exactly the same) at M or another craft store on sale. That way, people can spend more money on SU stamps and inks!

She has a customer for life in me simply because she is honest, personable and quick to respond. She's not territorial, either..

HTH Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my demo. She is so good to us. She doesn't give us discounts per say, but she certainly goes out of her way for customer service/sastifaction. There is a group of us - Stampers Club, and we meet 1x a month. For door prizes she always has something extra special. She will offer suggestions on what we can purchase elsewhere (ie. envelopes) at a better price so we can spend more on exclusive Stampin Up products. She will sell us individual sheets of paper if she has them in stock, which is especially nice for a color/print that you only need a sheet of. She calls us to let us know of any specials that are happening. When she does Stamp Camps I feel she is overly generous with all of her products. Because of her kindness, generosity and general respect to us as customers, she will be my demo for life!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default demo

Well I gotta love my demo since she is my cousin!! LOL But I really love that she shares like mentioned above what I can get else where....that way I can get more stamps. The one thing she did that irritated me was to keep info like this site or others with ideas (Pat's etc...) to herself! I had to find it on my own. I think people will find these sites so if you try to keep it hush hush it will just get them aggrivated when they find out you knew all along and didn't share!

I am a TAC demo myself but chose that company because of SU restrictions not my demo....I would have loved to join her and still get some stamps from her SHHHHHH don't tell!! LOL

I think the main thing a demo needs to do is offer good service, well planned events -- be organized with all materials needed and printed instructions are VERY nice!! And Share!!!! So we all benefit from great places like SCS!!! This place rocks!!!

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have read with interest the comments/suggestions in this thread. The demo I normally buy from spends a lot of money on the make and takes we use at our monthly stamp club meetings. When you factor in all the ribbon, cardstock, sticky dots, inks & reinkers, embellishments, etc that she gives away it definitely cuts into her small commission. She is a hobby demo who truly takes time to research projects for each month's meetings and I doubt most of our club realizes how much time and energy (not to mention $$) she spends to make it beneficial for each person. She also routinely gives away door prizes and other items as a "thank you" for our participation. I have ordered from other demos to take advantage of free shipping and other promotions because I do spend a good amount of money on SU products and while I appreciate the gesture, I don't expect it. As a faithful customer, my suggestions for demos are: be super organized - have everything you need for that class and don't run out of supplies at the class or stamp camp; don't pick projects that are too difficult or have too many steps for beginners - this is frustrating for beginners and for those of us who bring guests; have extra scraps on hand for people who mess up BOTH side of their paper!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:01 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Do non demos have any advice for demos?

Just share your knowledge or creativity. My demo is such a creative person, and she's more then willing to share whatever knowledge she may have to make your project extra special. She's the one who told about this website so I could get ideas for a card I wanted to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo is super and I would never expect her to give me her discount. I can't discount to her what I do for a living....

For demos the most important thing is to be organized. No one wants to spend 3 hours at a workshop where the demo is not prepared or worse is in total chaos.

Have lots of great ideas and show us the versatitlty of the stamp sets. I love make and takes and I would also like to see you feature products and techniques that I may have never thought to use.

Also a display board with your samples, so I can see other ideas that I could make.

Don't swamp me with food - I would rather see the demonstration than eat (I can do that at home). But make sure your have regular and diet drinks and if you are going to have food, also have a veggie tray for us dieters. If I see one more cheesecake.........

Stay focused. You are there to make sales and show products, so don't hole yourself up in a corner and talk to one or two people.

Personality, personality, personality......sell yourself. If you believe in your products, I will too.

Oh and ask the customers to leave their kids at home. I love kids, but nothing ruins a party quicker than a couple of kids who can't mind. If you can't do this, then an alternative is to have a craft table (in a quiet, unobtrusive area) for them and someone to stay at the table and help them.

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Demo info

I am a Demo but not for SU!!! Yes I still buy oddles of SU stuff BUT I buy from a lady out of state now not my local demo. Why you ask. Long story and she's not here to give her side , suffice it to say I LOVE my Long distance DEMO. SHE rocks. I can't demo the stuff I buy from her and she can't demo the stuff she buys from me but we work WITH each other to better our stamping. She offers monthly specials like a free pack of paper with so much and so on and so forth. I for one know how much it costs to demo a workshop but I also get to take that as a tax write off so I don't compalin "much". I give free stamps from grab bags and such. You wouldn't belive how a little things can make such a differance. A small bag of paper scraps, a couple of card samples, a few eyelets. Somrthing small.
In Him,
Shawna

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a Demo, I am really enjoying this thread. I am writing down some of your comments to post in my workspace for good ideas. It is nice to get honest answers from people and what they would like. That is what my job as a demo is partly about - making my customers happy.
Please, keep the comments coming and we will hear them with open ears.

Randi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: Demo info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawna
I give free stamps from grab bags and such. You wouldn't belive how a little things can make such a differance. A small bag of paper scraps, a couple of card samples, a few eyelets. Something small.
My SU demo has a basket w/ little things like Shawna mentioned and for every 30.00 we can pick from it. Everyone loves this. That way she gets sales and we get a treat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not a demo, but I have one that is AMAZING!! I agree w/amykae, my demo is honest and upfront with me and my the people I host. She is more of a friend to us than a "saleswoman". We trust her and she has gotten to know us and makes great suggestions on stamps and accessories that will go w/each persons personality. Also, mentioned above, "ORGANIZATION"!!! My demo comes PREPARED, and my guests realize how much time and effort go into her samples and displays. She will do 2 make-n-takes, one scrapbook page and one card or gift box and has everything ready to go. She demos different techniques or new things out of the catalog that we haven't tried before. My parties have all been $700-$750 all because of her! She'll do a door prize, usually a cute cello bag w/a few handmade cards or a small stamp w/ embossing powder. Will do a free sm. incentive stamp wrapped in a little cello bag tied w/cute ribbon (1 for every $25 spent) just small CUTE things just to let guests know their purchase is appreciated. (I would never expect her to give us a discount and neither would my guests!) I also usually have parties during selabrations (where SU gives you free product) or right after new catalog (where everyone is just excited to see new product).
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
Oh great...another thread that'll end up in demo bashing...

...I want my customers to be loyal based on my presentation, not on how much I'm willing to let them keep in their pockets.
Whoa... I am not a demo so I don't pretend to know what it takes to keep your business up and running, but you sorta jumped all over this thread before it got off the ground! Consider this: demos have a quarterly(?) quota of sales they have to make in order to remain active, right? Maybe, in at least some of these cases, the demo gives stuff away to make that sales goal... and I am SURE they don't offer their own promos ALL the time. It's just another way of letting customers know that their business is appreciated.

My demo has offered us free shipping... free cardstock... and when I hosted a $900 party, she gave me a free set of stamps to thank me for throwing it (BEFORE the sales were tallied) - and she does some really creative and fun workshops, too.

I don't know you at all, and I am SURE you do beautiful work and are creative as all get out - but if I was your customer and I read the last line in your post, I'd be a little miffed - just my honest opinion, not at all meant to be a flame.

To answer the original post, and this maybe something srogers5 could agree to, my demo offers monthly card club. We all pay $10 for supplies and she give us at least three cards to stamp - her paper, her inks, her stamps. In the end, most of us end up buying the sets she demos! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #17  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

As a brand new demo that joined in January I have enjoyed this thread! I do give away "freebies" but have explained that this is only going to happen for the first year!! I need the sales more than the extra income. I joined to support my habit mostly but do enjoy making money, heck who don't. I give a way a free ink pad for every $50 they spend. It usually gets people to spend at least $50 and if 6 people do it, my quarterly sales are taken care of!! I want to keep my customers happy and want to keep coming back for more. Keep the ideas coming, I am loving them!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

I too love my demo! She's awesome! She's also become a really great friend!

One thing that I think demo's can/should do is suggest to their customers sites like this one. There are a couple sets sitting on my desk that I would have never ordered until I saw them being used on this site and decided I had to have them! And the list for others is getting longer every day!!! Just waiting on that income tax refund! I am forever grateful to have heard about this site from my demo!

The other thing she does that I think is great, and has been mentioned here by others, is she is totally honest about the products she sells. For instance, the paper cutter. Everyone comments on it and really likes it but you can get it cheaper elsewhere. She tells us that because in her words she'd "rather tell us that up front than have us order it from her and find it elsewhere later on at a lower price and feel like we've been ripped off". I appreciate that! And it only makes me want to order more from her!!

I think another thing that is important is to make your customers aware of upcoming promotions etc even before they are public knowledge. This only gets people excited!! And then they spend $$!! For instance, my demo showed me the spring mini before it ever appeared in my mailbox and I knew immediately what I was getting out of there - a couple sets for sure! And knowing that ahead of time makes it easier for me to plan my spending! If I hadn't known ahead of time, I would have spent the money on paper or other things I needed instead of those sets and paper!!

But all that said...I think the main thing demo's can do is be honest, be excited/passionate, be yourself. Don't try to be someone you aren't. Everyone is different and as along as you are well organized/prepared and know your stuff, people will buy from you no matter how reserved or outgoing you are.

That's my opinions!

From one very loyal customer of one very great Demo....

JocelynM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Default what makes a great demo

My demo is absolutely super -- we do three make 'n' takes, often two cards and one 'other', maybe a box for holiday candy or something. She doesn't give a discount (and I don't expect her to), but when we hostess a party, we will find something extra when we receive our order - perhaps a pack of paper or an ink pad that she just 'knew' we wanted. She keeps us up to date on specials, and helps us plan out our orders to maximize any specials.
She has a great personality, lots of energy and enthusiasm, and is VERY well-organized. She works hard to come up with WOW ideas for us, and brings lots of samples for us to see. She keeps the workshops moving (sometimes difficult with a group of creative women who always seem to want to "kick it up a notch" when working on their make'n'takes).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There have been some great ideas posted. I love make-n-takes, little freebies here and there, etc. We do need to realize that a lot of demos really don't make much $, so we shouldn't expect too much. Demos who are willing to give advice, share ideas, and have fun are the best! One thing we all need to consider though--we do like honesty and some demos will tell you where to get things cheaper, but this is against the contract they signed with SU. So, we shouldn't expect them to give us that info. If customers find it out for themselves, that is one thing, but it is another to expect someone who has a contract with SU to violate that and tell us not to buy certain things from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Default Demo

The only problem with my demo is that she charges $15 for a make and take and they usually aren't that creative. I have stopped going because of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default non-demos for demos

MommaJ:

Thanks for the nice comments you made in regars to this thread. Amy K did also give some nice suggestions too. I do tell my customers about some items they can save money on by purchasing from the local craft store. However, I do make sure to also say which items they'll be better off buying from Stampin' Up.

I will start doing the "door prize" as you mentioned on your comments. I am going to make sure it is something that will "WOW" them.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Ana Malick ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

at my last workshop, the girls were laughing at me because i would say, "40% off w/ coupon at Michaels" for certain things. they said
you aren't a very good sales person." when i explained why i was telling them, the stopped laughing and the workshop was over $500.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Liz, and anyone else who thinks I jumped the gun...

You are correct. I did it because I didn't want to go the route of yesterday's thread. I apologize if that offended.

For what it is worth, I always have 2 M&Ts, give a hostess gift and a door prize. Once a year I invite all my customers to my Summer STAMPede, where for the cost to put it on, they make 5 projects (things that would not normally be done at a regular workshop) and get free s&h on any order they place, although there is no obligation to order. I do not believe, however, that is why my customers are loyal. They are loyal because they like my presentation style and personality (honestly, I think I have them fooled that I'm a fun person...I'm not really outgoing).

As for the last line, I was really referring to those customers who take and take and take, from whomever they can. Those that are offended by that are probably the kind of customer I am referring to. I did not mean it to come across as though I'm trying to line my pockets with their money...only that I don't like it when people try to guilt me out of what I have earned.

Might I add, Liz, that I believe you wrote your post in a very respectful manner and I believe so many people could take a lesson (oh, probably even me).

There have been so many great things said in this thread. I'd like to think that perhaps my pre-emptive strike gave people reason to pause and think...

I obviously am no demo's customer, but I'm going to add something else... I would love to receive a card for no reason from my demo if I were a customer. No, "here's the special for the month" or "Would you like to order ......" Just a "Hope you are having a great day." I think that would be nice. And it's something that I'm going to start doing once I get off this blasted site that seems to take up so much of my time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sharon,
I like the idea of sending cards for no reason. Once I get a chance to make a card to keep, I will do that. Sometimes I get so busy with WS's and Camps that I don't get to stamp for fun.
I have taken away alot of great advice from this thread.

Randi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: Do non demos have any advice for demos?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Just to start -- you will get customers for life if you share your discount once in a while. It may not seem logical, but like most stores, if you offer a sale occassionally, you'd be surprised what we'd buy. It would boost your overall sales (there's a reason why Michael's does those 40% coupons!). I searched for a demo that did this and give her lots of business. There are a variety of ways to do this -- buy a certain amount and get a set at 20% off, free paper with purchase, etc. This may be hard if you are just starting out, but there are lots of demos out there and you need to be competitive!!

Any other non demos have suggestions?
Do you know what's funny? I will offer a special from time to time - this month it is a free marker with a $30+ order and my customers don't seem to pay any attention to it. They will place their order and never mention the free item they are supposed to get. I had one customer I had to remind three times to choose the color for her free item? Isn't that odd? I don't think I've ever had a customer say - here is my order and this is what I would like for my free item.

That's why I don't run these specials very often because they don't seem to be a good motivator for my customers. So I guess it goes both ways. If more customers took me up on the specials, that would boost my orders and I would be able to offer specials more frequently.

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Potential Demo, here...

I am seriously considering signing up as a SU! demonstrator and have appreciated this thread and everyone's comments. If I do join, it would be to "feed my habit" rather than to make a significant income. Meeting quarterly quotas would be my major goal, I think, so a few extra incentives along the way would probably help in that area. Just my 2 cents...

kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

My demo is great. The best thing (which I know is not possible for everyone) is that her basement is her stamping workshop and she holds all stamp camps, S10, workshops, parties, ect there so people don't ever have to worry about holding stamping events in their own homes. She lets us try out basically any supplies she has, she has tons of samples and technique booklets to look through. She always does some sort of door prize/drawing thing. SHe is very good about making everyone feel welcome and introducing people who don't knwo everyone.

Right now she is running a promotion called the Nifty Fifty where if you spend $50, you get your name on a square (can't remember how many there are total - I think 50) on a board. When they are all filled she will cut them up and pick a name and that person will win $50 in merchandise.

She places orders promptly and lets us know as soon as they come in. She is nice, creative, and excited about SU products. Definately makes me want to purchace from her.

She is holding a mom and child stamp camp soon and my 5yo DD is juping out of her skin with excitment from that anticipation - lol!

No complaints here!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:34 PM   #29  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Can I just say quickly that making the quarterly minimums is almost nothing for a busy hobby stamper? That's just $100 a month, girls. I can't see anyone having to do big sales to their customers just to make that, unless they don't want to buy ANYTHING for themselves.

I think the only demos that can afford big giveaways are ones who have been doing it for awhile, have downlines, etc.

I have a friend who's been selling Party Lite for eight years. Gets to go on the cruise every year, and take her DH for free. She can afford to do fund raisers!! That's giving up ALL her income!!! But someone who's only been doing it a little while - no.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since I started this subject, I'd like to add another thought. I've bought from a lot of demos -- probably 5. I would like to echo the comments from some other posters about communication and forthrightness. I'm such a dope it took me spending about $1000 in small purchases before anyone told me that if I lumped them together to spend $150 at a time I could get an extra set. (I thought you had to be hosting an actual party to get the hostess benefit! I was just ordering from the catty, not at a party).

Now do you think I've ever gone back to the demo who failed to tell me this?? No, she keeps sending me mini catalogues but it has been years since I've purchased from her. On the other hand, a demo who emails me once in a while, holds stamp camps and other fun things will get my business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for your input, Kathy O! I was under the impression that the QQs were much higher than $100. You're right - meeting that amount will probably not be very difficult!

kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

My demo is just awesome! She does offer a coupon booklet (coupons are for a pack of free cardstock, 25% off one stamp set with a $35 purchase, etc.)at her open house when the new catalog comes out. She has an open house that is free, and we make two projects. At that time she also will give away a retired set with a $50 purchase. She is always very prompt in telling us about the new SU specials (for example this month the sets that are on sale). I think in the long run this generates more business for her. I know that I tell all of my friends. One of my friends even signed up under her to demo! She also has a morning and an evening S10 group, and she does stamp camps almost every month that she charges a small fee for. She is very prompt, and she has wonderful ideas! Hope this helps! Good luck to you!

LaurieR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

[quote="srogers5"]Oh great...another thread that'll end up in demo bashing.

My demo is awesome and I wouldn't think of bashing her. She offers sales, specials, freebies and free catalogs. A good deal and it makes shopping more fun (wow...if I spend $40, I might be added to a drawing to win an ink pad. If I spend $100, she might be running a special to get a free ink pad so maybe I'll throw in the stuff I was going to buy in June in now to take advantage of that special).

My other wonderful demo retired and she offered free catalogs and shared her discount with us from time to time. If we spent a lot but didn't quite make it to the $150, she might add a couple of things she was going to get anyway and let us get a hostess set!

After she retired, I got the name of another demo in the area and called her. She wanted to charge $10 for the catalog and wasn't too interested in my request for a free catalog. She lost my business and more! I spend enough during the year that I think (just my opinion) that my demo should give me a catalog. I called around and outlined what I wanted as a customer and found a great demo. I also brought 2 people with me who buy from her (one is my former demo)!

I think she is happy that we are her customers and we are happy to have her. As a customer, though, a little customer appreciation goes a long way!

No demo bashing here but not offering perks from time to time is short-sighted from a business standpoint because there is so much competition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I love my demo.

I am an addict. She is my supplier!

She does specials...a free ink pad or the like if you spend so much...I always do. She is awesome!!!!!! But I must say that even if she didn't give a special now and then I would still be her number one customer. I love the product and I love how excited she is about it!!!

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

What a great thread! I just sent in my paperwork to be a demo, so all of the suggestions and comments are really helping me with ideas, etc! I want to thank all of you for your opinions and suggestions! Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

I appreciate everyone's input, I just signed up and this thread has some really great ideas.
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As a demo, I find this discussion enlightening and helpful!

I must add that each and every demo is different. We all do things differently. I offer freebies occasionally and when there's not a major promotion going on I try to do something nice for customers and hostesses.

Keep the ideas coming, but understand that what one demo does should not be expected of another (other than good and ethical business practice! )

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I love my demo and I think she's great! As of right now, she'll have a customer for life (unless I have to become a demo to fund my habbit :lol: ). Anyway, the best special that my demo offers is 20% off one item during your birthmonth. So that gives us the oppertunity to purchase that one item (mine was the markers) at a discount. It's nice and it gives us something to look forward too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooh, thanks for reminding me of the birthmonth incentive. I've been wanting to add that to my list of incentives. I want to let my customers crop for free during their birthmonth!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

The "special" items don't have to be expensive or really cut into the demo's income to be special to me. The best item I ever received from a demo has cost me a LOT of money and given SU a LOT of sales - it was a little bag of scraps! I placed a certain size order and was given this little cello bag of "pretty paper" scraps. I had always used whatever cheap CS I found on sale. I made one card using the SU cardstock in comparison with what I was using and I was hooked. Evil demo! :twisted: The other thing she does is have a basket of discontinued stamps or ones she no longer uses. If you place a certain size order, you get to pick a stamp. Not a set, a single stamp. Not too expensive, helps the demo move older stuff out and makes me a grateful, happy customer!
Reply With Quote Likes