Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many demos work full-time and have families?-Update

I am just curious. I work full-time as a second grade teacher and have one child (she's 3 1/2) . We are hoping to add a second child to our family in the near future. I have been thinking about becoming a demo because I love to stamp and use SU! products almost exclusively. I buy things almost every month so the logical thing to do would be to become a demo right? My question is, how do you balance it all? I frequently feel overwhelmed already with what I have on my plate. Am I crazy to add this too? I know with SU! I can make my own schedule and have parties or workshops when I want just as long as I make my quarterly quota. I think I would start out slow but then again, I don't want to have to buy $300 worth of product myself if I can't build up a good clientile. Any advice is appreciated. I admire all of you who are able to do it all!

P.S. If I do decide to join, I would want the longest period of time to make my first quota. When would that be? Thanks so much for your time and help!

Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I guess it would depend on if you wanted to become just a hobby demo or run a full business. I work full-time and also have two children. I'm a hobby demo and have only done two workshops since I signed up last May. Only did the workshops because some friends at work asked me to. I wouldn't have time to do it as a full time business. Not until my kids grow up and move out or I dont have a job anymore. Hope that helps a little.

Pam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think if you join close to the beginning of a quarter you then have that quarter and the next to get going, so about 6 months. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a full time job and 2 kids, (and a needy husband!) and I think I would have time for 1 to 2 workshops a month. I say this because I have yet to hold a workshop for someone other than myself. I have had a difficult time finding people who want to host parties. Luckily when I started I had 2 people that purchase from me, so they help me make my minimums. I guess if I were you I would feel out my friends and family to gauge their interest. That will help you decide how hard you will have to work just to make minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been a demo for over a year and work a full time job in a salary paid position (which means I can work 40-60 hours a week on the same pay). I really am just a hobbyist and enjoy the product and discount. I attempt to host or conduct 1-3 workshops a quarter to make my minimumns.

So far this is working for me. I still have time for my DH and 2 boys (4 and 1 yr). SU! has been very good for me. I have a wonderful upline and sideline.

Go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Re: How many demos work full-time and have families?

Hi Tracey (My name is Tracey with an "ey" at the end too!)

I have been an SU demo for about a year now, and I have a full time job, and two kids (1 1/2 and 5 yrs). I've been able to make my minimums by just having one mystery hostess workshop at my house each quarter (I pick 2 names from whoever comes and they win the hostess benefits). It hasn't been too overwhelming. I would say go ahead and try it! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I became a demo because I wanted alot of things. I dont really have anyone that really is dedicated in buying things from me. Maybe you should talk to friends and other people and see if they want to learn about stampin up so that way you do have some clientele before hand then that may help you be able to met your quota's. I dont regret becoming a demo by any means I enjoy the savings and the products.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 07:29 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I have been a SU demonstrator for about a year-and-a-half. I'm also an elementary teacher with 2 kids (3 yrs. and 9 mo.) I run a stamp club in my home 1 Friday night each month. I sent a letter to my friends and family to see who was interested. I drew names and they were each assigned a month to be the hostess. It is a 12 month commitment. They must spend at least $10 per month. This way I can easily meet my quarterly minimum and get my stuff at a discount. To me, the stuff sells itself so it really is easy. I say go for it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Default demo'ing and working full time ...

Hi Tracey -

I have been a demo for two years and work full time (commuting 2 hours total each day - which could be worse in the Wash. DC area). I have two children - 7 and 11.

I have one stamp camp each month at my house, I have the Stampers-10 Club going and I do an occasional workshop - maybe one per quarter, if that. Between the Stamp Camp and the Stampers 10 Club, I have never ever had a problem meeting my $300 quarterly minimum. For me, Stamp Camp takes care of my minimum because I charge $10 per person, and I almost always have at least 10 people attend, so I make the $300 I need to spend each quarter. If for some reason I don't have as many people, I'm still placing my orders for myself, so I'm always covered. My business supports my hobby and I LOVE it. I hope this helps!

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 07:36 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a work-at-home mom and don't know that I'll ever consider being a demo a job! I would be willing to do one or two workshops a month, but that's about it. I'm currently writing two books and taking care of two girls under three, so I barely find enough time to stamp for fun!! It's more a hobby for me than anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a daycare and 4 children ranging in age from 8 1/2 to 15 months. I have been a demo since last July. I really haven't done a whole lot of workshops, but I do have 2 stamp clubs going so that helps me to make my minimums. I would love to put more time into my business, but that is sometimes difficult with my kids being so young yet. If being a demo is something that you would like to do then I would suggest getting a club together or doing monthly stamp camps to help you make your minimums. You could also hold a mystery workshop every month or two if you are having trouble getting people to have workshops. As far as when to sign, I would suggest doing it toward the end of the school year so that you have the summer (without having to report to your full time job every day) to get your business up and running. HTH
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default working

I don't work out side the home now but when I signed I did. I sat down and worked out a plan so that there was family time and might I add I raise 7 kids too. I don't do workshops at all on friday nights that's our night. I have a great husband who helps out alot. You can make it work. Forgot to add DD is military and not always home. If you really want it I say have at it!!!!
SCS member #9233/ SU Demo
My Wee Blog: kats' kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I work full time as a nurse in an oncology setting. I also have many other activities like Relay for Life, I Can Cope, etc on the side. My daughter got married a few months after I signed up last year and that was insane. But let me share this with you. Number 1; you have a great resource with all the staff in your school. I would suggest you show the watercolor pencils to any of the art department staff with a quickness! The thing that got me through the period of my daughter's wedding was developing a hostess club right off the bat. that helped me meet my minimum with little or no effort. I love SU, but I don't have tons of time for it. Truly, get a hostess club going, or have a stamp camp in your home once a quarter and you will be fine, and you'll have great supplies at cost and then have the freedom to decide what you really want to do, continue to a hobby demo or get bigger. it truly is up to you. feel free to contact me if you have more questions eva [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I work full time, I run a small law office and have two girls, 12 and 9. I basically have a scrapbook party once a month and easily make my quota. Occasionally I have my girls who want to host a party but I really don't spend a lot of time soliciting. This just gives me an excuse to scrapbook with my friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, I work full time, also salaried, and never less than 50 hours a week. I am divorced and have 2 teenaged boys. I find that I have been able to develop good customers through work, so it can actually help your business. I don't have trouble meeting my quota although I don't do a lot of workshops, I wouldn't have time for that. When the boys were toddlers though, in all honesty I don't think I could have found the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I would love to hear from some more of you! You ladies are so awesome and truly inspire me. Keep the comments coming!

Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I have been a demonstrator for 2 1/2 years. I work full time (45+ hours/week) and have 2 children, ages 10 and 15. I truly believe that my children need me more now than they did when they were infants (the trouble they can get into out of the house is bigger than IN the house LOL). My DH does not do any laundry, cooking or cleaning. It can be done.

I do workshops on weekends and in-home classes on Friday nights. I don't do workshops every weekend - in fact, I have found that I can do one or two a quarter and meet my quota easily. I don't always meet the minimum sales/month to earn my downline override, but I'm okay with that.

I have never had difficulty in making my quarterly quotas. I don't always meet the goals I set for myself but I don't beat myself up over it.

HTH,
Kelly
Zion, IL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #17  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I think if you wanna do it, you will find the time to do it.. Sign up in April, then you have until September to make your first $300 minimum!!! That gives you time to let people know and you will get in on the retired list when everyone will want those sets!!!!!! I love the fact that when you sign up at the beginning of a quarter you have until the end of the next quarter to make your first minimum. I signed up in January and have until June to make my first minimum but I made that and then some with my Open house
Go for it... it is so fun and rewarding to be able to teach everyone how fun it can be
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I work full time and have 2 "adult" daughters. I was by upline's best customer, now I'm my own best customer, even though I get a lot of orders from my co-workers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I'm a hobby/business demo. I have a 40+ hours a week job. I mainly support myself, but when people ask me, I demonstrate, and when I need to, I have stamp camps. That's the beauty of SU! - you can do it how ever is comfortable for you!!!

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #20  
Postapalooza Mama

I agree with cheeseburgan that I think you might already have the start
of a customer base with the other teachers and staff at the school you
work at now.
I'm a SAHM so I don't work full time outside my home. Right now I'm a
hobby demo with a few customers who help make my minimums. Hoping
to expand gradually. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck with
making your decision.
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I work a full time job, have a 6 and 2 yr old, AND have a seasonal business (May - October). I signed on at the end of last summer basically for myself and the discount. I really never thought I'd do parties, but I have done quite a few since October, when I held a stamp camp in my home and it took off from there. I don't mind for now, but I have told my customers that as of April, I really can't do parties until October. I've been very clear with boundaries. So, I'd say, go for it. You can do as you please and if you've got a lot on your calendar one month, then just let people know. They'll understand. (Well, most of them will!! :lol: ) And also, you've got a great "in" with teachers. I'm sure they'll meet your quotas for you without a problem! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Default Full time job and being a demo

I work full time 4 days a week and have about 4 workshops a month, plus have a 10 and 12 year old who are very busy. My husband is a full time student and doesn't work now, so I need to make as much money as possible. I started off at this 3 years ago with a bang and it has never slowed down yet. I am lucky to have very good, loyal customers.

I have found that teachers are excellent customers, so you have a good customer base right at work. You should have no trouble meeting you minimum requirements.

I also have a seasonal garden business. Believe me, you can do anything you set your mind to if you really want to. Plus, my husband is supportive and helps with running the kids, etc.

Best of luck to you, you can do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I have a full time job 40 hours a week but never any overtime and I am also a career demo spending at least 20 hours a week on my SU business. I'm married but don't have any children, just the 4 legged kind! My sales average about $1800 a month and about 5 workshops a month. I spend all of the money I make "reinvesting" in my business!

What I gave up was always having the house clean, the weeds all pulled, flowers planted, launday and going to the grocery store. My house only gets clean now the day before stamp camp and hubby usually gets laundary done late at night when he tell me he has nothing to wear! I also used to exercise everyday and now I don't have time for that either. The only bad thing is that I've gained 30 pounds in the last 2 years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 04:03 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Work, Demo & families

I work about 30 hours a week with my job as a CPA for a real estate development company. I'm also actively involved with the PTO. Last year I was PTO president. I also do accounting work on the side. On top of that, I enjoy cooking and enter recipe contests. I've won several national contests. I just became a Su demo in January.

I've always enjoyed stamping and being crafty. It seems like my time spent stamping takes my mind away from other things. Being a demo hasn't been like another job, it's been something fun and helps me support my habit.

I'm going to try to have 3 workshops per quarter. If I even have just one, I think I could make my quota.

My advice is to try it. If it's too much. . . quit. You'll still have recieved a great deal with your starter kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm an "ey" Tracey too! Don't find too many so it's funny to see two others on this thread alone!!

Anyway - go for it!!! Become a Demo, you will not regret it. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. I have two children (2 and 4) and I work a 40-50 hour/week job. I MAKE the time to do my stamping because I love it. I only do one workshop about every 6 weeks which easily meets my $300/qtr minimum. I became a Demo to support my stampin' habit!

You really, truly will not regret it.

Good luck!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I think you can make it work, but you have to pace yourself so you don't make yourself crazy! I work about 45 hours a week at my "regular" job, but they are kind enough to let me work at home two days and that helps. I arrange my work so those days are pretty light, so I can do a little housework here and there, or even do a bit of stamping if it is a very light day.

However, I also run TWO other businesses. I have been an Ebay seller for about the last 5 years - I've toned it down since I started up SU, but I still whip up a batch of auctions every now and then, like last month when my husband wanted to sell off all his trains. Then there's my SU business. I do a lot of it on the computer, which is a big help. I used to run Stamp Camps and workshops, but I haven't had any in a while because my customers just weren't interested. But it does end up taking up a lot of time. I go to downline meetings and other demo's stamp camps as often as I can and once in a while I will do a Friday night crop.

My kids are 16 & 6, so it's a busy life! But I manage to make it work and keep myself from flying apart. But it does get hectic sometimes....

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Default How many demos work full-time and have families?

I work full-time and have been a SU! demo for 3 1/2 years. My DS is now away at college, but I still have the house to run and the hubby who works 12-hour shifts to take care of.

If you start out as a hobby demo and play around with it, you may be surprised at how easily you can fit everything into your schedule. A LOT of my customers are teachers and/or retired teachers, so you are definitely in the right place as far as getting customers. Once you establish a customer base it's not that hard to meet your quotas.

On the other hand, if you are looking to be one of the company's top sellers, you might find you have overloaded yourself. Those ladies seem to work SU! like a full-time job.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Don't just sit there . . . go stamp something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Default work full time and full time single mom!

I have been stamping for about 3 yrs now. I work full time and due to unfortunate events, have become a single mom when my son was 5 months old (he's a year old this month!! -- gotta start stampin those B-Day invites!) Being a single mom is also a full time job and I haven't had much time to do stamping for the last few months. I became a Demo last month for a few reasons-mainly to force myself to "break" away and do something for ME and stamping is something I love and find it as a stress reliever. I also want to be able to have access to all the great products at a discount. I'm pretty much a glorified hobbyist but I have had 1 show already and have gotten over $900 in sales in 1 month! It's a little hard to balance everything but I'm starting to get more organized. I don't stress over it though... it's easier to reach the quarterly minimums than you think.. it's the staying organized that's hard for me! Good Luck-and happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I work an hour away at a University and work a 40 hour week, teach scrapping classes about once a month at a local store, carry 6 hours a semester at school, do about 9 -15 hours worth of cosmetology clients a week, work in Sunday school, have a family of 4 and am a Demo. Can I sleep now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Tracey, I'm a Tracey too...I'm also a mom of a 1 year old who works full time and signed up with SU in January. I love it. Yes, it's not always easy to find the time to make your projects for up coming workshops, but somehow I squeeze it in. Let me just add that my husband on a normal day is out of the house 12 hours, and goes to school 2 nights a week, so I know the meaning of 'no time to oneself' ANYWAY, I think you should go for it, give it a try and see how it goes. Someday when you have a big enough customer base, if it is in your plan to stay home someday, maybe you'll have this to support your hobby, and little 'bread& butter' money too, as I like to call it...good luck, whatever you decide to do!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I work full time, hubby is a student (getting his MD and PhD) and we have two girls - 6.5 (Kindergarten) and 5 years old (turned 5 in Dec.). My commute is 25 miles each way and our oldest's school is on my way. DH's commute is even further and he starts rotations in July. Meddling MIL babysits so she can keeps DH under her thumb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

I work fulltime and I am raising an 11 yr old by myself. I am also a demonstrator - I average 6-8 workshops a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Hi everyone!
I have decided to take the plunge! I am planning on signing up April 1st. I am VERY nervous but also EXTREMELY excited. Thank you so much to everyone who gave their opinion. I read all of the posts two and three times. I know it won't always be easy but what have I got to lose except a great opportunity if I don't try it out. Once again, thanks so much for all your input!

Your grateful Splitcoast Sister,
Tracey :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #35  
Postapalooza Mama

Great for you, Tracey! How nice that the April special came along to make
an even sweeter deal! Congratulations!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

I am a demo, work full time, have a teenager and a pre-teen who are very active in school and sports, and a husband who has been deployed for the past 7 1/2 months. I haven't been doing many parties while he has been gone, but still have managed some. It's a tough balance, but you can make it work!

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Default Go For It

Tracey,
I am a full-time SLP in a preschool setting, have a husband and two little boys, ages 3 and 2 as well as being very involved with church activities and volunteer organizations in my community. I signed up as a Demo in Feb 05. I love it so far and would totally recommend being a Demo to anyone who loves SU! If you like the products, you'll love being a demo! The support you get from the company and other demonstrators (via Stampin' Discuss Forum on the Demo-only website) is amazing! As far as your question about when to sign up to have the longest amount of time to get your minimums..... when you sign up, you have until the end of that quarter to not worry about minimums. I signed up at the end of Feb, so I was good until the end of March. April starts a new quarter, so I will have to meet my sales minimums starting in April. So if you sign up at the beginning of April (and get the starter kit on sale!!) you will not have to make any minimums until the July quarter starts. Does this make sense? Remember that the sales minimum must be met each quarter and anything over the minimum that quarter does not carry over into the next quarter.
I think you can totally balance it all. Just host a stamp camp or mystery hostess scrapbooking party and you will meet your minimums quickly.
Good Luck Stacy
Reply With Quote Likes