Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Do you have a separate file folder for each color?

HI there!

I'm a new SU demo, but I'm posting this in the general section, because this applies to anyone who is crazy about SU stuff!! Do you keep each color of paper in its own file folder?

Early on (just a few months ago when I started SU stamping!), I bought all the cardstock assortment packages. Right now I have a file folder for each color family, one for US White, one for US Vanilla, one for Vellum, etc. But it's been somewhat frustrating figuring out which color is which, especially if one of the purples happened to migrate into another color family!! But now I got 2 pkgs of Bold Brights cardstock in my Starter Kit and I'm thinking I should use a file folder for each color. Then I can see at a glance if I have a certain color or not. It would be a time-saver, but would take some time and extra $$ for the folders to set it up.

I've seen SU cardstock file systems on Ebay and have wondered if that would be the way to go. I also need to get a swatch ring - don't want to waste 1/4 sheet of paper to make my own!

Ideas?

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have all of my papers in their own folders and then in colorfamily groups...It is much easier that way to inventory as well as know what color I am using!
As for the systems on Ebay...I am just keeping my stuff together without it and it works great. I am only a one year demo and so I am trying not to buy anything too much other than what I NEED....maybe sometime in the future.
As for the swatch ring, you would save money doing your own probably...it will take time but if it saves you a few bucks then make the time to then be able to get something from the new catty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought those metal storage "cubes" from Target - and used the zip ties to put "shelves" inside of each cube. Then I got those clear plastic page protectors, inserted a piece of white cs in each, and wrote a color of cardstock on the tab - I pile that particular color on top of that page protector creation - which means I can simply pull on the particular color name I want and it slides out nice and neat! I've got them stacked in color families as well. (oh yea, and I bought those cheap "in box" plastic tray thingy's - sits inside my cubed shelf, and the page protector/cardstock pile sits in the "in box") (gosh - that sounds much more complicated than it is!) Since I did this, I find I'm using my papers alot more, experimenting more, and feeling more organized! It was a really cheap investment!

If anyone wants to see, I could grab the digital camera and snap a quick picture and post it? Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:45 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Check the SU board for swatch ring swaps. I did one this spring & got a wonderful swatch ring! As for the paper, I have mine in regular file folders, then in hanging folders by color families. I cut up an old Stampin' Memories catalog for the color swatches that I used to label my files. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Be sure that whatever system you choose can be expanded as necessary. I started out with everything in one file cabinet drawer. Now, I have a 24-slot organizer (from Sam's) with whole sheets of cs; 5 crates with file folders for individual colors (one crate per color family and one for neutrals), and a larger filing cabinet drawer for specialty papers. Don't even ask me about storing stamps--this can get really scary!

Barb Coblentz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

tootse... can you take a picture and send it? Im curious.....

Karen
[email protected] - or add it to this thread..

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Sure! Hang on a sec - gotta grab the camera, kick the cat out of my stamp room (why oh why does she like to hang out in there), and I'll be right back! Stacey (tootse66)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default file folders for colors

I'm an ex-demo, but I keep all my colors in ABC order. I keep them in hanging files, and each file has a page protector in it that I keep the scraps for that color in. I use a 2-drawer plastic filing cabinet that I bought at Wal-Mart for about $20. Also have a file for the velum, mulberry, etc. I don't buy 12x12, so can't help you w/storage ideas on that.

As for the swatch ring, when I was a demo, another yahoo!group I was on for demos, I purchased for $7.00, she had all the colors, & special papers. It was well worth it, and I still use it today, when I'm wondering about a color that "escaped" from its folder :lol: I also bought ribbon sampler, glitter, & eyelet. At the time she was selling them, buy 3 get one free. It was a helpful tool for me as a demo, because I couldn't afford to buy all those myself. HTH, Cher
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I use an old 2 drawer file cabinet that I got at a garage sale. I put each color in it's own hanging file. Each file also has a manilla folder that has been taped up on the two sides to create a pocket for scraps (any piece smaller than 8 1/2" x 11"). I put the colors in alphabetical order rather than by color family. I use a scrap from each color with the color name written on it for the file label. It works out well for me. I use the other drawer of the file to hold other supplies such as envelopes, paper bags, extra stamps and other stuff.

What ever you get just make sure it is expandable in some way. I started out with files in a crate, but there wasn't much extra room there.

Charlotte
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:17 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep my colors in their own hanging file folder. They are in a two-drawer file cabinet. I keep the color families together (two color families per drawer).

I also have a labeler so I printed out labels for each haning file. The labels include both the name of the color and the order number....this makes reorders quick and easy!

Jana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I seperate mine by color and color family.
All in one plastic crate I bought from the wall mart.
Dropped in some inexpensive file folders. And all done.
I am an SU! demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

OK - here's one of the whole tower, and I'll post another in another reply that's a closeup. I think they'll come thru as jpg attachments - can't figure out how to post the actual picture into my post reply! Stacey
Attached Thumbnails
Do you have a separate file folder for each color?-csfile.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Oh - I guess when I say "attach a file", it really does post the picture - cool! Anyhow - here's a closeup:
Attached Thumbnails
Do you have a separate file folder for each color?-csfile1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That is soooo cool!! I am going to have to check these out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Sorry that last one came thru so gigantic! :oops: (LOL!)

I hope this "explains" what I was talking about Karen?

HTH! Stacey (tootse66)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

I think Target has them on sale this week if I remember correctly! My DH talked me into doing it this way after I'd read about it in a magazine somewhere, and was sweet enuf to help me put it all together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:51 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep mine in a 2 drawer file cabinet. Each color has it's own hanging file. I group my colors by all purples, all pinks, all reds, etc. I purchased a file tab system from ebay and it has worked out great. There were several different ones available. I chose one that gives the name of the color and a punch of the cardstock. I also bought a swatch ring from ebay. It's one of the best purchases I've made. Very nicely done! It was $7 or $8. I also bought them as gifts for 2 demo friends. We all love them! I've tried more color combos since I got it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Stacey- Looks great!! very neat & tidy!

Jana, love your idea of putting the (re) order # on the file folder too!

For my own storage; I keep each color in its own hanging file folder, and the color families are grouped together. I can associate the colors better this way.

And, SAVE YOUR OLD CATALOG FOR the LABELS!! I cut up each color sample from the old catalog and put it into the clear label on the hanging file. It's a perfect color match, and I didn't have to type the color names and print them out. I think you could also do this for a very small color swatch sampler.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:06 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, so far the hanging file system is working great for my 81/2x11's, but it's warping my 12x12's. What do you use for 12x12's? I don't want to put alot of $ into it, actually, the less I spend on organizing stuff the more I can spend on stampin' stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

I've got a mechanics work bench with a long drawer in it - store all my 12 x 12 and fancy papers in there - works great! (yea - I know - a mechanic toolbench? my DH is a car nut - swear he owns every tool ever made - lol! but you'd be surprised how alot of mechanic storage stuff works for stamping! so we wait until they're on sale - and then he gets one and I get one - then we're both happy!) Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

yeah well i have a nuts and bolts holder for my memory maker letters hehe gotta love hardware and mechanics stuff too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Yes - those nut and bolt holders are great! I've got one that's from a tackle box too that I use (my son gave it to me, cuz it didn't fit into his tackle box with all the other stuff he has in there!) I guess I'm "frugal" - I try and save everything and find a use for stuff I can find cheap or have around (like empty 35mm film canisters - great for mixing pearl ex with water and gum of arabic... individual little paint cans, complete with lid... doesn't dry up!) Would you believe we went camping out on the Mississippi River last weekend, and I spent HOURS sifting through the sand picking out "pretty rocks" that I'm planning to use on SOMETHING crafty..... Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

oh yesss i forgot to mention my four tackle boxes !!!!!!! lol i got one with ribbon in it, i have the ribbon wrapped around those plastic floss things and stood upright so i can see it, then i have my strange eyelets, like crayon, snowflake, hearts, snowmen, pacifier, apples, xmaslightbulbs, fall leafs, trains and stuff in one, and just misc. stuff in another, and beads in a very complex fishing one that opens two ways LOL

Red - who loves storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

oooh - those "strange" eyelets sound cool! I only have a couple of "non round" - hearts and flowers mostly. I do have some cool trinkety wooden shapes I picked up at the dollar store though - fall themes (leaves, pumpkins, etc), witches, ghosts, trains, and some xmas stuff. I just love the dollar store (and rummage sales)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

im an ebay fanatic... i get my "strange" lol eyelets by the user "scrapbook*details". Ive gotten several from them, they ship fast and will combine shipping they have a ebay store too but i stick mostly to the auctions...lol i have one card in my gallery with a pacifer eyelet...im addicted to buying them... my husband hates me...LOL

red
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Default paper organization

You really went all out and labeled your papers too. You are awesome!

I just keep mine in a wood cabinate separated by color family.
I am shamed to admit but, I have paper other than SU!'s that I separate in the same way.
I have tons!!!! PrincessMi can attest to this.

I am rediculously addicted, and have been for about 5 years!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:17 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

I just went and looked at your card - that's really adorable!
My hubby is getting sick of all my stamping I think.... let alone all my stamping STUFF! (lol!)

It's cheaper than therapy though! (hee hee) - stamping is my "sanity break".... and let's just say it's been a rather INSANE week! :lol:

Hey red - where in Wisconsin are you abouts? I'm in Winona Minnesota - maybe we're close neighbors????

Stacey (tootse66)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I am in hayward wisconsin, i used to live in St Louis Park MN about two years ago, and i met Pinefeather when i lived there, her and I are good friends and stamp together once in a while, even got to go on vacation in june together kidless, and husbandless, in june. She lives in St Cloud MN. small world

christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #29  
Inking Addict

papercuties - were you referring to me about having labelled all my papers (wasn't sure, cuz I did and you can see that in the pics I posted, but I think someone else mentioned they do that too)? Yes - I did label all the dividers (I think I'm an anal list maker type of person - lol!) It really helps though - cuz then when I'm putting together a project, not only do I have the exact color name, but the item # as well. (I'm finding that at my SU workshops, customers often want to order what we're working with that day - then I don't have to go look anything up! I make a recipe card - literally - that I put with the project packet, and refer to it during the demo/workshop! Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:22 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

Hayward - is that close to Winona???? I'm so bad with directions/maps.... I wish I lived close to some people to stamp with! Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

i have my papers in those three drawer things that hold like 8.5 x 11 or bigger paper, i keep them in the "color families" lol then i can put all my scraps in there and since im not a demo any more :( i dont need to really keep track too much on what im out of lol

christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

bout four hours from here according to yahoo maps LOL im almost by superior wisconsin/ duluth mn

christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

4 hours - bummer! Oh well, maybe someday we can venture and get together for some stamping! We used to live in Racine, which is over 4 hours from here, and we'd drive back here about once a month (my family lives near Winona, that's why we ended up moving back here).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:45 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I love Iris carts, so I have one of their double file totes. I have 2 color families in each side, with neutrals in the back of one side & other specialty papers in the other. I did buy those tabs off Ebay & they were the best $3.50 investment I've made. The person I got them from took the time to put both order numbers on each color....8 1/2x11 & 12x12. I've even ordered a couple more sets for customers (they have to be really good ones ) I will go take a picture of the box & then each side close up.......
Suzanne
Attached Thumbnails
Do you have a separate file folder for each color?-paper_storage2.jpg   Do you have a separate file folder for each color?-paper_storage4.jpg   Do you have a separate file folder for each color?-paper_storage3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry they're sideways....I don't have any photo editing software!
Suzanne

DH made the cabinet the tote is on!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you have a separate file folder for each color?-paper_storage_005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

ooh - I like the idea of the color coded tabs! hhmmm - where's that box of scraps... I could make some of those for my cube system!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

I am digging that idea too. Lord knows i have enough scraps. :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #38  
Inking Addict

I was just in a "use up your scraps" swap - that was a blast! So many cool ideas for creating cards that are embellished with scraps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

omg that would be fun but i have like BIG scraps so that would be cheating LOL

christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 07:19 PM   #40  
Inking Addict

hey - scraps is scraps, no matter the size!

I couldn't believe all the different cards the gals came up with! Each totally different! You could hardly even tell they were using "scraps"! For mine, I did a silly "face", with the help of my little boy - which made it especially fun. I'm gonna go and post it into the gallery.....

Stacey (tootse66)
Reply With Quote Likes