Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Nervous - Advice for the shy

I met w/someone last night to talk about becoming a SU Demo. I have the forms and I am wanting to fill them out, but I am nervous. I don't like being in front of groups, and am feeling apprehensive. Part of me says "are you crazy...run!" and the other half says "are you crazy...dive in!"

Can I ask for feedback from others who were nervous and doubtful when they started? How did it go? Are you glad you took the plunge? Anyone regret it? Have you been able to make your quota?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I just signed on at the end of Jan. I am doing my first workshop next weekend. I have already met my minimum just from orders from friends and what I have bought myself. I really signed on more for the discount, but I will do occasional workshops, stamp camps, etc. I say "go for it!" ...you have nothing to lose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I didn't lose my nervousness from Stampin Up; I lost it earlier from 4-H and from training to be a teacher. I was EXTREMELY shy as a child. So shy that I would scream if a stranger looked at me twice. There is nothing more important I think that facing that demon and ending its hold on your life. The ability to get in front of groups and put together coherent infomation gives you a confidence that you can't deny.

Also, my upline once removed is one of the most successful demonstrators in this valley. Practically everyone around here is under her. She has a HUGE downline. She tells the story of her first workshop every single time we have a large group meeting. She says that she used to be painfully shy. In fact, she was too afraid to even look the people in the face during her first demo. She just stamped cards and them held them up for people to see, with her face looking downward. Now she has a huge downline and a successful business. Her excitment about the products and cofidence in herself is infectious.

Face that shyness and conquor it. It will change your life. It has cerainly changed mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I would ask your soon to be upline if you could help her out for a couple of workshops and see if this is something that you are really going to want to do. Unless you are just signing up for the discount and have the extra $$ to meet you quota.
jmo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly ... when I first started I thought I would be super nervous, trip over my words, make all kinds of mistakes right in front of everyone and never get asked to do another show.

I started out calm but the more I got to 'showing' the more excited I got! Actually my excitement and fun were contageous - even though I did make mistakes :lol:

I'm going on over 7 years now and still having fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a demo, so I'm definatly not trying to talk you out of it here.. BUT.......

I signed up to do this exactly a year ago and thought I could force myself to not be shy and do shows cause I love what I do. I had several people call me from having my # on the SU site. I was terrified to do any kind of show. I filled in one that wasn't even mine cause a sideline got too nervous last min (I was there as a guest to support her and ended up doing her show for her) That wasn't so bad cause it was her ideas and she had all the prep work done so I wasn't worried about what anybody thought.
Then I had a lady call me and book a show a month or so later. ( I was still scared so teh only way people can find me is SU site hehe) I was SOOOO nervous, I spent the whole time wondering if my stuff would be good enough, would they laugh at me, would it flop. I thought about cancelling cause I was so scared, but my hubby talked me into going, said if it was horrible, I wouldn't have to do any more after that.
I went, I was very nervous and for sure messed it all up, the show did good, but I still went home and cried cause I was just so embarrassed to be in front of everybody. That hostess has since signed up as a demo herself and we are good friends now.
I haven't done a show since, thats 2 shows in 1 year I've done and no other promoting cause I'm still scared.
I say only do it if you think you and your close friends/family can meet your minimums. If you do sign up, just give yourself time cause shy just won't go away by magic Just do what your comfortable with and try to host a few with friends to get it down before you meet strangers, thats the scariest part.
Sorry so long, I'm not usually this long winded, but really had to put my opinion on this one.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/go/londonrain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

My number one tip: Host your own show at your own house. You'll be more comfortable on your own territory. Have confidence, the product will sell itself. Stick to basic, yet impressive cards. Don't try to do too much on one card.
You Can Do It! Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 03:08 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I said I would only sign-up to support my habit, but since I have been to so many diverse parties I have become more confident being around others. I am very social always have been, but when it comes to getting up in front of others I am always so worried about looking stupid, I always feel panicked. I am more confident now, but I still get the panicky feeling. I just recently signed up and one of my friends asked me would I have a party if they wanted me to. I said you know if someone really wanted me to I would, course it would be easier if it is all your friends who know you, but I think when I get to the states I may actually try to do some workshops even though I will probably be a little scared. We'll see only time will tell.

I say try it once if you can with people you are familiar with and know, so you won't be as nervous and like someone else said do it at your home, or even have an open house or something to promote the product and maybe have a booth set up so they can make a card if they want. If they are Stampin' Up junkies then they really don't need a demonstration they are there to order and get some goods I like making cards at parties, but hey you can also have a hostess do a book party or whatever you feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

apparently i thought my comments were soooo important, i tried to post it twice! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

i know i'll have no problem meeting my quota.

i just signed up and got my kit--so no workshops yet. but ask me again in a week (maybe two...i may postpone my open house). i'm more than a little nervous about doing an open house--primarily because it will be for my friends and family. i know that would make most people more comfortable, but it's freaking me out a little bit (not much, just about as much as going to the grocery store naked would...).

last night i was going through my catty and looking for ideas on what sort of make & takes to do for my open house, one of my co-workers told me she'd love to have a party for her friends and family. that one doesn't scare me a bit. i'm really excited about it and looking forward to doing something for her.

i think i'm a little odd in feeling more nervous about doing a demo in front of people i know (who are gonna love me and buy from me even if i totally stink) than doing one in front of people i don't know. i chalk it up to the fact that i really care what my friends and family think, but the rest of the world? not so much!

i'd say, if you can afford to test the waters, sign up. you'll have at least 3 full months before you have to worry about a quota (more if you sign up now! your first quarter quota is waived). if you don't like it, you got a great deal on your starter kit and at least you'll know for sure that it isn't for you. and who knows, maybe you'll just love it! either way, you can walk away without regrets because at least you'll know for certain if this is something you can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:43 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I must say, I was super nervous when I signed up. Once you get out there and share your love of stamping with others, and see how excited other people get when they see the product, it goes away. I still make a fool out of myself sometimes, but I just make a joke out of myself. Then everyone laughs. I trip over my words at almost every workshop, I still make mistakes. Who doesn't?? I think, my customers at least, don't want someone who is perfect and never messes up. It shows them they could do it too.

I had really bad anxiety issues when I signed. I think SU helped me tremendously to overcome it. You are busy at workshops (if you do make-n-takes). You don't really have time to think about how nervous you are, or how stupid you feel. Eventually, it just goes away. I also used to be really nervous talking to the other Mom's at my son's school. Now, I don't even care. I talk to them all and it isn't bad at all. I know I'm rambling here, but I think you would really love being a Demo. I'm not saying it will just take one time and you will not be nervous anymore, but I think it will really help you to come out of your shell. That is what it did for me at least.

I totally agree with having your first workshop at your house. You will be in your comfort zone. I say take the plunge!! I'm sure you will love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:45 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Oh boy, can I relate. I have always been shy, and even though I give presentations in my work life and in my private life, I would still have a bad case of nerves. I am getting much better since I learned two important things.

1. You can always say I Don't know, but I will find out as soon as I can and get back to you. This really handles the jitters about having to be perfect and know everything. Plus it gives you that opportunity to talk one on one with the person after the demo and they see it as excellent customer support! Much better than being flustered and giving a goofy answer.

2. Any mistake I make is an excellent opportunity to teach customers:

a. A mistake is an opportunity to try something different
b. There are two sides to any piece of paper
c. It is only paper (as much as we guard every tiny piece and never throw it out because it could come in handy) and you don't have to be perfect to do this craft. Something that helps those customers that are afraid to try in case they fail.

Good luck, I hope you give it a try. After all, this is a business and there is no success without risk.

Take care,

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #13  
The Digi-Freak

I hope emilymomto3boys pops in! She's super-shy IRL and has really popped out of her shell and come into her own with demo'ing She's doing AWESOME at it too

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I think that once you start demoing the product (which is stuff that you LOVE) you'll lose your shyness. The key is to really believe in what you are selling... Show people how much fun stamping is.

You'll be great!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:46 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can sympathize. I was so shy in school that if I didn't know the answer and the teacher called on me, I would turn red and cry! But when I turned about 40 years old, I figured out that I had wasted a whole lot of time being afraid when I could have been having fun.

Here's how I look at workshops: If I'm in front of friends and I goof up, they know me and love me anyway. If I'm in front of strangers and I goof up, they have the choice of never coming to another of my workshops OR becoming a friend who loves me anyway! I know nothing I say is going to magically take away your shyness. It's going to take a change in attitude and just going out there and doing it. Honestly, what is the absolute worst thing that could happen? It's never as bad as that. Sit around with a couple of friends and just brainstorm the worse-case scenerio. I can just about guarantee that by the end of your "session" you'll be laughing. THEN ask one of those friends (or both) to come with you to help out with the workshop and any little things that go wrong will end up being funny, not scary. I love it when my daughter helps me with my workshops, because we have fun whether anyone else does or not. But I've found out that if I'M having fun, THEY'RE having fun.

Go ahead and take the plunge. I really think you'll be glad you did.

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:54 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I am very shy, but i am SO GLAD that i took the plunge! I have never regretted it for a MINUTE.

GO FOR IT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

for you ladies that are super shy.....I was that way for most of my life. (I'm 46) You could not PAY or drag me kicking and screaming to get me to get up in front of people- I would get nauseaus (sp?) and actually shake at just the thought of getting in front of people. All of my life I could not stand the thought of people looking at me and I always felt like I wasn't good enough. Well, a couple of years ago I began to dread leaving home and would find excuses to not leave the house and when I did I had this compelling feeling that I had to get back home. Eventually I finally figured out that I had social anxiety and went to the doctor about it...he put me on meds and I find that I don't get nervous like that anymore-in fact, I did my first CTMH workshop in front of people I had never even met-I only talked with the hostess on the phone and I was astounded that I wasn't even a little bit nervous. If you are really having a problem with it think about checking with your doctor you could have something causing you to be this way. I wish I had went years ago...I feel so much better about myself and much more confident. Like Patra said, I have wasted my whole life being shy when I could have had fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

So much good advice here!!
I didn't start out a shy child, but after attending 6 different elementery schools, I quickly became very shy. I took a speech class in both high school and college, and did numerous presentations in college, and I didn't really feel more comfortable doing them until I started Stampin' Up. It's easier presenting something you love! And I completely agree that the more you do it, the better you get. The better you feel.
I have to admit, I haven't done enough workshops. Mainly because I work weeknight evenings, and want my weekends for my family. I take one Saturday a month for me...to scrapbook!! But hardly any workshops.
That said, I'm still nervous when I have a workshop, but it gets better everytime. I LOVE scrapbooking and stamping, I LOVE Stampin' Up, or I never would have joined, and I LOVE sharing what I love!!
I've heard people complain about workshop attendees talking, etc, and that bothering them. Honestly, it doesn't bother me as much, because it takes the focus off of me, and I know it, so I can just feel my nervousness melting when I have a chatty group. As long as they are talking about stamping, it doesn't bother me.
The WORST workshop I ever had was for my cousin's wife. She's a big scrapbooker, and looked at my stuff at a family get together. She asked me if I would drive 1 1/2 hours to do a workshop for her. The thing that made it difficult, I don't even know her very well, so ALL of them were strangers to me! And, they were VERY polite not to utter a single noise during my presentation. All eyes were on me, and I thought I was going to completely forget how to stamp!! LOL!! I didn't, and although my voice shook a bit at times, I made it through, and it was an $800 party!!
My point is, I didn't die. I was brave to get up there and do it, and I'm proud for that. I have only had one workshop since then, and it was a breeze, but it was for a good friend, one stranger, and a lady I sort of know from church. Small group, and chatty people I know. I'm looking forward to moving into my new house in July and having my first workshop there!! That is a definite plus, having the workshop/open house/whatever at your own home. It helps to take the edge off for me, anyway!
I would say go for it. Good luck, and you know where to come when you need encouragement or help in any way!

Erin in Okc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Shy

I am not shy but I BLUSH :oops: :oops: and turn RED when I start the presentation... But then I get into showing the projects, and I see that everybody is having a great time, and at the end it is so much fun! I love doing it and the blushing is not going to stop me from being a demo and making new friends and sharing what I love! Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Nervous/shy

Go for it! I started working in a large corporation at a desk job. As I moved up the corporate ladder I was faced with overcoming the fear of speaking in a public forum, both at internal meetings and external gatherings. I think you will find that it not only becomes easier each time but that you will actually enjoy it. As your self-confidence grows you will start to blossom and that will carry over to other aspects of your life. As the Director of Sales Operations for a large corporation comprised of many companys (health care related) I frequently make presentations to huge groups, many of whom are my superiors many times removed - and I love it - they need/want the information that I have and hang on my words. If you know your stuff it's a breeze!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Some suggestions to help you feel more confident...
1. Be prepared-get everything that you can do ahead of time done a couple of days beforehand -this way you're not running around at the last minute
2. Make up your own "script" in your own words so it will be natural to you
3. rehearse it out loud-you'll feel silly but it will get you used to hearing your own voice
4. know your product so you'll be prepared and if you do get asked something you don't know just be honest and tell them you'll find out and get back to them
5. Be yourself and just tell them you're new and nervous and please excuse you if you mess up and go from there.

hth

I actually had fun at my first CTMH demo and I didn't know soul there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too was shy growing up and joined Mary Kay a few years ago. They did some wonderful training, and I would hardly get nervous speaking in front of the MK girls! I joined SU, and don't get as nervous anymore. (If it was for my REAL job, I prob would!)

I do suggets practicing...I did practice a few times in my dining room with my speel, and demoing the projects. I also wrote out my script word for word to help me learn it. I also brought it with me in case I lost my place.

If you join SU, try it, and really don't like it, you don't have to continue, and you can keep your kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You know, I am terribly shy. I was nervous about it because I HATE to talk in front of people in groups. But I will tell you, it's the best thing I've done! I really love to do workshops and I am not nervous anymore. My first was a bit nervewracking, but luckily it was small and I knew everyone there. It gets easier every time. I just do an outline so if I get lost, I can look at it and keep going. I say go for it! If you try it and really don't like it, you can always stop at any time and you will have gotten a great deal on the kit!

Reply With Quote Likes