Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2005, 02:58 AM   #1  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pat's technique newsletter

Id this a good thing? I know you can join the yahoo group if you subscribe to the newsletter too. Is it worth it even if I get tons of stuff here and other places? Should I get the newsletter or the techniques on disk?
-Vee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I LOVE the newsletter and have every issue of it! Yes...you could probably find the information elsewhere if you have lots of time to surf the internet. What is FANTASTIC about the newsletter is that it is just techniques and samples. Pat does and EXCELLENT job of giving great step-by-step instructions. Once you get the newsletter you also have access to the online tutorials that give your pictures for every step.

One of the things I really appreciate about the newsletter is there are techniques for all levels.

You go out and buy a magazine for $6 or $7 and get maybe one or two techniques from it and a whole lot of ads. This is $3 an issue and just techniques!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I love having the instant reference without having to hunt for it. Her website which you have access to (the months you subscribe to) have detailing info and pirctures which I believe makes then techniques easy for ANYONE to do. I have all the issues and I love flipping thru them when I am in a creative dead zone and find something that sparks creativity. Hope that helps!

Cheap Therapy
My Stamp/Scrap/Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 03:50 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Newsletter

I've been wondering the same thing - found the web site from links on here. I'm guessing this issue will be the same as most on this site - there will be strong opinions on both sides - but I'd be curious to hear the reasonsings. I haven't gotten it yet because I haven't gotten around to trying nearly all the neat things on this site so unless someone's arguments convince me otherwise, I'll probably hold off until I've exhausted resources here. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:01 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Vee...

When you get a chance could you please post the information on how to subscribe for this or post the website that gives this information.

Thanks sooooo much!

I have heard so many wonderful things about this newsletter ... I want to look into it more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:24 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I wouldn't miss an issue. I bought all the back issues. Just go to www.patstamps.com from there you can get the info on the newsletter and gobs of more info and samples. It is like having everything concise, organized and in one place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:30 AM   #7  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,078 Likes on 858 Posts

I just started getting the newsletter, and have already used one of the techniques in it. I love it and glad that I went and subscribed. You can't miss. It's worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:36 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I love the newsletter. While I haven't tried every technique, when I'm feeling stuck in a rut, I pull it out and give something a try. What I like most is the step by step online photo tutorials. Plus, the Technique Junkies group members post what they do with the techniques. Pat works VERY hard on this newsletter and it shows. I've recently decided to cut back on spending a bit and eliminated a few subscriptions but I would never give this one up unless I couldn't feed my family! Its awesome!
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love TJ newsletter. As soon as I received my first issue (last summer) I had to order all the back issues. The newsletters are great to have on hand at your stamping desk as compared to having to run down a flight of stairs (my computer on a different floor) to find it out. The reference and inspiration on the web-site is awesome as well. I really look forward to each new issue. I say go for the newsletter....you can't go wrong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default TJ newsletter

I LOVE , LOVE, LOVE the newsletter too!

I ordered the CD's as well as a few of the back issues- the CD's have PICTURES illustrating the techniques, AND, I do not have to dig out the old newsletters to find a password...... Just have to get the kids off of the computer to use it for myself!!!!!

You will see, once you subscribe, that each time a newsletter comes out, all of the new techniques are on all of the cards you see here- the ones you look at going- WOW, how do you think that is done. All of a sudden you know how it is done and look at it and say- I am going to try that!!!!

Happy Stamping
Shelly

www.Patstamps.com for the TJ newsletter

There is also a Yahoo group you get to belong to once you become a member that discusses supplies, etc and people post their cards made with TJ techniques- for subscribers only though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, to argue the other side of it...

I used to subscribe, but found I didn't have the time or resources for many of the techniques shown. They are well-written and she clearly gives a quality publication, but I would rather go where someone freely shares without cost.. There have been several times on this site that a technique that someone learned from the TJN was inquired about and people didn't want to share out of loyalty to Pat. While I understand the words are hers, I think it is terrible that someone won't give the general idea of how something is done. I am not saying that Pat is the one behind this attitude, as I'm pretty sure she isn't (even think I read something along those lines), just saying what my experience has been.

Like I said, it is a quality publication but since I didn't find to be getting the use and value out of it (for me, personally), I decided to let it go. Her site was one I visited very often until I came here. For those of you who don't know, you don't need to subscribe to view samples on her site. The subscription just lets you into a secret place where there is more...kind of like the Demo Forum on here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We're free to share techniques from the newsletter. You have to understand that Pat does not prevent us from doing so. Most of the techniques are not original to the newsletter, but what is original is Pat's WORDS. We can't cut and paste them, but we can put instructions in our own words.

What Pat does prefer is if we found the technique in one of her newsletters, that we mention that fact. And giving the link to her website so people can check it out themselves is also a great idea.

As for me, I like having a copy right there on my stamping table. My computer is upstairs, my stamping area is downstairs. I also like having those techniques in a format that I can browse through. So if I forget about a technique, it is there waiting for me when I go through my back issues. Having the CD is really nice too, but mostly I like the paper copies.

I belong to the Yahoo group. It's nice because you have a lot of samples to look at if you like that sort of thing. I don't look at many since I find too many samples bad for my own creativity, but I like to see what people do with the techniques I submit to Pat's newsletter. Now that I've submitted quite a few, she's put my on as a staff contributor and I get PAID! So I'm really interested to see what people make of the things I come up with.

Since I come up with them, I still put instructions on the cards I post up here, but I do try to point people to the newsletter. It's a great resource!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I've noticed your great work in the newsletter JanTink!!! You are the best!!!

I just started getting this newsletter at the beginning of the year. I was hesitant due to the cost. I have not regretted it for a minute!! I find that it helps me get out of a rut.

I love SCS and I do look for techniques here, but I'm easily distracted and I find myself on forums, and an hour goes by and :oops: :oops:

With the newsletter, I don't get distracted. And it is different than a magazine. It is all about techniques. Again, no distracting ads (like oh look at that they have a website, and an hour later.... :oops: )

It's hard to explain till you have it, how much you'll like it. I couldn't believe it till I subscribed.

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #14  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,078 Likes on 858 Posts

JanTink said:

Quote:

We're free to share techniques from the newsletter. You have to understand that Pat does not prevent us from doing so. Most of the techniques are not original to the newsletter, but what is original is Pat's WORDS. We can't cut and paste them, but we can put instructions in our own words.
Jan: I'm so glad you said that because I used one of your techniques from the last newsletter and posted it on SCS and a couple people wanted to know how to do it and I did tell. I did mention where it came from so I don't feel guilty now. Thanks for all the work you do and being an inspiration to all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I too LOVE the newsletter and all it's wonderful colorful illustrations. Like most of you, my computer is not in the same room I am stamping in and so it's nice to have something I can take with me wherever I go. And I love being part of a group that shares all their latest endeavors with each new technique they are trying. And when I don't have time to read all the emails on her TechniqueJunkies group I can go on digest and still get emails of all the wonderful artwork through her TJArtworkOnly group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pat Stamps Technique Newsletter

Okay, here are some words from the mouth of a "Technique Flunkie":

You will *never* be sorry that you subscribed!!!! I'm a member of a few different boards. I get different magazines. Pat has a natural gift to give clear, concise, easy-to-follow instructions. Her newsletter is **bar-none** the best technique advice out there. And this is coming from an admitted ***TECHNIQUE FLUNKIE.*** I generally have to read how to do a technique several times before I get it.

I don't regret my subscription for a second. Not to mention: Once you subscribe, you get access to a wealth of new samples that you don't see on the "open" portion of her website. Trust me, "...membership has its privileges..." ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I just signed up and I'm glad I did. I haven't got it yet, but I have heard a ton of good things on this site. And the samples on her site and the samples from people who use her techniques on here are truly amazing works of art.

But I didn't subscribe because of that. I subscribed for the same reason I subscribed to the dirty dozen. Good things don't come free. They cost someone something.

I respect Pat for having creating this small business where she sells a newsletter. She is a Mom who has found a way to have a successful and fulfilling career that doesn't interfere with her being a great Mom. I would far rather send my money to her than to a corporation. I don't consider her newsletter expensive. Look at Stamp and Scrap magazine-- $30 a year! And the samples in it are not near the quality I see on her web site.

I think this all goes to the heart of what the Stampin' Up! demonstrator creed is about. We should seek our bliss, do what we love, and share what we do. I am a demonstrator, but honestly I don't think I'm a very good one cause I love to teach people things and I am ROTTEN at selling products. I wish, like Pat, I could carve out a nitch that would allow me to work from my strengths and build a career that is truly viable.

I believe in supporting women in small businesses. They are the backbone of our economy and they show the world that we can be Mommy and be a career person, without those 2 being in conflict.

Whew! Enough soapbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I, too, enjoy her newsletter! I just started the Stamp and Scrap one too! Can't wait to get it. It can be overwhelming, but I just put them in my binder and they are there for reference if I need it!!

Thanks Pat!
Old 03-11-2005, 05:45 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

oops, double post...sorry!

I, too, enjoy her newsletter! I just started the Stamp and Scrap one too! Can't wait to get it. It can be overwhelming, but I just put them in my binder and they are there for reference if I need it!!

Thanks Pat! www.patstamps.com