Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you charge for a card?

For those of you who sell your cards, what is the general price you would charge someone for cards

thanks much! btw, I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pam Doan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Default Sell Cards

I've sold cards at a couple of craft shows and to co-workers. I charge $2 each.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Wow! That seems so inexpensive. Is that just for stamping & cutting (as inlayering) or is it for cards that also have embellishments? My "plain" ones are usually $2.50 and go up frome there depending on detail. I had one "commissioned" by a friend and I was doing it as a favor but she paid me $5!

I'd like to see more replies and also, where do you sell?

Thanks,
Sherri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Selling Cards

I sell my cards for anywhere between $2 and $3 dollars each. It depends on where they are. At the art galleries they are $3, because they are sold on commission. Depending on the gallery the commission can be as high as 35%. My kids are teachers and I send them alot of cards that they put in the teachers lounge. I sell those for $2. It depends on which part of the country I send them as to what sets I use and the techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I also sell the cards for $2 or $3. Usually the $2 ones don't really have any embellishments like eyelets or ribbon. If I use ribbon on the card then I sell it for $3. It depends what you put on the card and then the size of the card also. I usually make 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 size. Sometimes I have to make cards from 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and then it's $4.
SCS #10724
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: Selling Cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcooley
I sell my cards for anywhere between $2 and $3 dollars each. It depends on where they are. At the art galleries they are $3, because they are sold on commission.
Sale in galleries? Commission? I could be wrong, but this doesn't sound kosher according to the SU! angel policy. :?

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually charge $2.50 for the 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card size. I came up with a rough formula in which I calculated my supply cost and then multiplied that amount x 5 for my time. Larger cards like 5x7 I usually charge $3.50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default CARD PRICE

$5.00 IN LESS THEY ARE REALLY SIMPLE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cost of cards/angel policy

I made some cards as a Xmas gift for a neighbor, which included the envelopes and I tied a very nice red ribbon around the set. I charged her $15 and she gave me $20. There were 6 of them total. Also, I thought you could sell your cards as long as you identified them as Stampin' Up! on the back? Isn't that the angel policy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell mine to co-workers for $2 each. Some are more detailed than others, I just figure that it evens out.
~Kelly~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #11  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Also, I thought you could sell your cards as long as you identified them as Stampin' Up! on the back? Isn't that the angel policy?
It can't be in a permanent location. Only like Craft shows, or something that is "taken down" the same day!!

I sell mine for $2. If I go up anymore I just can't sell them.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

My DH thought I was crazy for asking $2 or $2.50. He thought around $4 or $4.50 just because of the "hand-made" aspect. I still think around $2 is the way to go. I also made an Excel chart that calculated my cost... down to the cents per inch of adhesive/ribbon, per each button/brad/eyelet, and per sheet of cardstock, etc, etc. I found that costs including one envelope are usually anywhere from .30 - .50 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

$3.00 per card. Includes stamped envelope that coordinates with the card (of course!) and a clear, acid-free sealed sleeve (from clearbags.com). Verse on inside is stamped on a piece of text weight (computer printer paper) paper and inserted into plastic sleeve (on envelope side).

Commissioned work is by the piece/unit. time/materials x 3. No price breaks for large quantities.

I pay tax to the state of NJ on all card sales.

Simple cards (think impressrubberstamps.com style), created with stamps from companies that allow sales in boutiques - $4.00. Sold individually only, same packaging as outlined in first paragraph.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I should clarify my post above: boutiques sell for $4.00; I get $2. They pay state tax on those sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Quote:

I sell my cards for anywhere between $2 and $3 dollars each. It depends on where they are. At the art galleries they are $3, because they are sold on commission.
Sale in galleries? Commission? I could be wrong, but this doesn't sound kosher according to the SU! angel policy. :?
She never said she was using SU stamps, just that she sold stamped cards in galleries for commission. That is 100% Kosher with a lot of companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default what is the angel policy???

I'm not a demonstrator, just someone who likes to stamp. I had a little cafe' boutique, and I used to sell the cards there for $2.50. I have also sold them at my church craft and bake sale for $2.50. I have a friend who works for Hallmark, who said similar cards, not as nice, sell for $6-$6.50 at her store.

I have no idea on what the angel policy is, and as long as I am buying the stamps and paper, I feel I can sell my cards anywhere I want. I never signed anything with Stampin' Up that says I can't sell anything I make with their products! I don't think that they can do that. Most "at home" sales companies do have policies about their consultants not selling their "buy at home line" in a storefront, but they would be hardpressed to enforce that. I have seen Mary Kay, Discovery Toys, Avon, and many others sold at stores and especially flea markets. And now with e-bay and other on-line sales sites, anything is fair game :!:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

. . . . . . .watch out, here come the stamp police . . . . . . . . .. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

SU's stamps are copyrighted and as such they are "allowing" you to use the image....but they own the image, not matter how you use it. The Angel Policy dictates how you can and cannot use the images.

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps
. . . . . . .watch out, here come the stamp police . . . . . . . . .. . . .
:lol: I was thinking the same thing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Depending on the amount / types of embellishments used, I charge either $3, $3.50 or $4 per card. If someone buys 10 cards (like for Christmas cards), then I give them 2 free. I've actually had people tell me that my prices are cheap because they can appreciate something that is hand crafted !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

What exactly is the Angel Policy? I keep hearing about it, but haven't been told what it is.

I'm asking because I don't sell my cards now, but have had friends and family hinting around that they might buy some for personal use once I get a little more practice under my belt (like Christmas cards and whatnot).

Thanks,
Tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by karinlm
Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Quote:

She never said she was using SU stamps, just that she sold stamped cards in galleries for commission. That is 100% Kosher with a lot of companies.
True, although some companies don't allow their images to be used *period* for any type of commercial endeavor. I believe Hero Arts is like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by janiekay
I have no idea on what the angel policy is, and as long as I am buying the stamps and paper, I feel I can sell my cards anywhere I want. I never signed anything with Stampin' Up that says I can't sell anything I make with their products! I don't think that they can do that. Most "at home" sales companies do have policies about their consultants not selling their "buy at home line" in a storefront, but they would be hardpressed to enforce that. I have seen Mary Kay, Discovery Toys, Avon, and many others sold at stores and especially flea markets. And now with e-bay and other on-line sales sites, anything is fair game icon_exclaim.gif
You don't have to sign anything, and unfortunately ignorance of the rules is not accepted very often as an excuse for violating them. You didn't make any agreements with the record company or the artist that produced your favorite CD, either, but because of copyright laws you cannot make new recordings of it and sell them as you please. And as far as enforcement, SU! is a large company with representatives all over the country. Just like with the filesharing crackdown involving the music industry and users of sites like Napster, it's only a matter of time before someone reports the violation. They have the legal right to control the use of their images, just as you would if you held the copyright for something.[/quote]

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #23  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

There's a fancy card shop on the opposite side of Silicon Valley, they sell stamps, paper, embellishments, etc. They also have a rack of handmade cards for sale.

These are usually larger than 4.25 x 5.5, in a clear plastic sleeve, with an envelope, and with embellishments.

I have never seen one priced below $9. I kid you not - cards for $10, $11... I was absolutely floored.

Just goes to show, sometimes it depends on the clientele, and Location, Location, Location!!!

I have sold a couple of sets of cards, nothing too extravagant, for $15 for 8 cards, including envelopes. (NOT in that shop!!!!)

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #24  

Here is SU's Angel Policy:

Angel Policy

Stampin’ Up! welcomes artists who would like to use our stamp images in their own hand-stamped craftwork that they produce to sell. Therefore, we give permission in the form of a limited license to use any Stampin’ Up! stamp images for the purpose of creating craftworks for sale, under the following criteria:

1. Each craftwork created for sale must be personally and individually hand-stamped by the selling artist and may not be reproduced or copied in any form by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying. Mass production, assembly-line construction, production by workers for hire, or syndication of hand-stamped craftwork for sale is strictly prohibited.

2. All of Stampin’ Up!’s images are copyrighted, which means that they may not be copied without permission. To help protect the rights granted by these copyrights, all craftwork created for sale using Stampin’ Up! images must be marked with one of the images from the official Stampin’ Up! Limited License stamp sets shown in the Idea Book & Catalog.

3. There are no quantity limits for for-sale, hand-stamped craft works that abide by the restrictions as stated in this policy.

4. You may sell your craftworks at community fundraisers, seasonal boutiques, bazaars or other temporary craft events. However, the Stampin’ Up! name, trademarks, or logos cannot be used at any location where personal hand-stamped items are sold, nor may they be used in any manner to solicit sales of such items. Hand-stamped items cannot be sold in any permanent retail location (any location that conducts business in a store, consignment shop, kiosk, mall, or Internet site), nor may they be sold to other vendors for resale purposes, nor may they be sold at Stampin’ Up!–demonstrator-sponsored events such as workshops, stamp camps, open houses, etc.

5. You may not use Stampin’ Up! images for the purpose of creating logos or company trademarks.

6. Persons creating hand-stamped items for sale are responsible for complying with any state and local business and tax regulations.

7. Persons participating in this angel policy assume all liability for suitability of their work and agree to indemnify Stampin’ Up! and its artists from disputes arising from their work.

8. Stampin’ Up! is a Utah corporation. The laws of the State of Utah govern the policy. The state and federal courts for Salt Lake County, Utah, will have exclusive jurisdiction over any proceeding arising from this policy. Any failure by Stampin’ Up! to enforce any of its rights will not constitute a waiver of such rights.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Need to Clarify

I guess I need to clarify what I wrote about the art galleries and my stamps. They are temporary special exhibits. These cards are not there all the time and my customers know that. Also most of my cards are NOT SU. I AM AN ANGEL. I am a demonstrator for The Angel Company. I am also a photographer. I do art shows almost every weekend through out the summer at different galleries. They are usually 2 or 3 day shows. My prime focus is my photography. The commission a gallery gets is no different than the price of having a booth at a craft fair. Either way you have to pay to sell your products. I also do craft shows in the fall and winter. I am sorry that the stamping police feel they need to come after me. I live in a small town and could sell my cards from the back seat of my car, sometimes I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 12:37 AM   #26  

I remember when I first found out what an angel policy was, a couple years ago. I was pointed to a website that had all the different policies for various companies.

I'm sure that some of you who have been demos for SU! for a few years remember when SU! had NO angel policy. They didn't want anyone to make money off their images.

Disney is exactly the same. But Disney has the money to have Disney police everywhere. SU! probably doesn't. Try selling something with a Disney Logo.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 02:57 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I have never sold cards (I promised DH when I started this hobby that it would only be a hobby and I would not get any grand business schemes into my head ) but I do sell bags at many craft shows/flea market type events and I always check out what people are selling their cards for and if they are actually selling. The best I have seen so far was a woman selling them $3 each or 4/$10, plus she had sets put together that ranged from $1 (very simple, not stamped, just embellished) to $2 per card when broken down in sets of 6-10 cards. Granted, bc she did not do any stamping they probably took her much less time to make, but they were simple, cute and elegant and they were flying off her table. Around here, people who charge much more that that don't sell very many. Magnets and coasters sell well around here too (esp holiday related ones).

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

You may not "work" For SU....but read the back of you Customer Order Form! About halfway down there is a paragraph "Proprietary Rights in Trademarks and Copyrights"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

The "angel" policy of SU is exactly why I am no longer a demo for them...I enjoy their products, but once they are in my home, I do not abide by what anyone tells me I can do with them ...and no, I don't dub CD's or DVD's...I will do what I want with my stamps and sell them to whomever I want. I think SU in this regard is getting a little big for their britches, thinking they can control what everyone does with their products.

I have paid SU their money for the product (handsomely and at a high percentage of mark-up, I'm sure) and I am entitled to do what I will with them.

I'm sure I'll get angry posts about this, but I don't care. SU is losing a lot of business b/c of this, but they have yet to realize it and become more "forgiving" with a blanket angel policy, like TAC.
Sara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Here is an Angel Policy site. Take some time to really look at the other company's policies. Yes, some give you more options than SU. Some give you no options. This is just for your information. There are people out there that will do whatever they please, regardless of the rules, there are people who will follow the rules to the letter and there are a lot of people who will pick and choose which rules to follow and which to ignore. that's life!
Vicki

http://www.littlebit.com/angelList/a...policyonly.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

That site is quite a wonderful resource, thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
The "angel" policy of SU is exactly why I am no longer a demo for them...I enjoy their products, but once they are in my home, I do not abide by what anyone tells me I can do with them ...and no, I don't dub CD's or DVD's...I will do what I want with my stamps and sell them to whomever I want. I think SU in this regard is getting a little big for their britches, thinking they can control what everyone does with their products.
Sorry my dear, but that's exactly how copyright laws work. If you create something and copyright it, you have exclusive say over what can and can't be done with it for as long as that copyright is valid. I get a little frustrated with the policy sometimes myself, and often wish I could sell hand-stamped things in my college's gallery store, but I respect SU!'s copyright.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

The angel policies I have a hard time with are the ones from companies where this artist in this line is ok for these things and this one is not etc. I get that each artist gets to pick and choose their angel policy but once a stamp isn't listed in their catties anymore who knows what line it came from then you have to research forever to figure it out. I generally don't buy from these companies since the policy is hard to figure out. Now the companies that have no angel policy at all, Stamps By Judith, Club Scrap and Stamp and many many other popular brands. I have to love a stamp to death to buy it for my collection or have a specific need in my life for it.

As someone said there are people that follow the rules, those that don't, those that pick and choose. And those that don't have anything better to do than call up a company and report you. It's not worth the legal fees to sell a few cards for even $10 a piece.

I think for anyone selling craft items stamped or painted with patterns or whatever it is imperative to check out that companies copyright policy. Carol Duvall had a lawyer on that specializes in this law and wrote a book about selling hand crafts and the legalities of it. She has actually done a number of shows on copyright if you search HGTV. But here is the link for the one I was reffering to.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_resource...374777,00.html

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #34  

DH works for patent attorneys, he's a patent engineer. He's become very aware of copyrights, etc.

Once you've see the work people go through, you understand better.

Those who choose to blatantly and flagrantly flout the law are simply asking to be caught, eventually.

SU! used to have NO angel policy at all, they loosened up, but are still trying to protect their images.

But yes, if you want to sell cards anywhere, simply choose the stamps from the companies that allow it, there are certainly plenty of them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:01 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Who knows the logic behind SUs policy. It stinks but I abide by it because the rules are the rules.

That being said....did you girls ever read "click, clack moo...cows that type?" (a brilliant children's book) Basically the cows wouldn't give milk because farmer brown refused to give them blankets...a classic, all american strike! if all of you, bothered by these policies, stopped buying su stamps, i'm sure they would take notice.

I've 'threatened' this several times but always wind up buying more...and I know I'm not the only one, right, girls?

we are powerless against the addiction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #36  

Well, I think too that SU! may realize that most of us are making money by selling stamps and doing workshops, not selling the cards.

And you can sell at craft shows, which is probably what they'd expect the main place to be. I mean, it's not that big a deal to most of us - I think!

At least most of us that are into SU!.

Definitely those wanting to sell cards can do so with many other stamps.

To me -

Well, MY cards are ALL a work of love. I'm a hobby demo, so not making much there. I found this to be my artistic outlet. If I hadn't found stamping when I did, I would have found something else.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Going back to the original question . . . $5 a piece, and they are well worth it if I do say so myself. I live in a large metropolitan area, however, and I don't know what the market will bear in other places.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

3 questions:

1. What size cards do you typically sell? Don't larger cards sell better and isn't it easier to ask a higher price for them?

2. Regarding the copyright issue - For those of you who sell at craft shows, etc. (within the guidelines of SU), do you also use the SU copyright stamp on the back? Sometimes, always, never?

3. Has anyone ever had an experience where they were reprimanded for breaking the SU angel policy, either for sales location or lack of copyright stamp?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #39  

1. I use the standard 1/2 sheet of CS for cards. Larger cards could bring in more money. Adding embellishments is what puts it "over the top" at the high end. Charms, and things...

2. I always use the copyright stamp.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 02:23 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I base my sales on quantity. If it's a sale of one card, then $3.50-$4. I had someone order (15) embossed and layered Christmas cards, and she paid $3 each. Generally, if the quantity is above (10), I go for $2 - $2.50 (if embossed). I've had great luck.
Reply With Quote Likes