Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:52 AM   #1  
The Digi-Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you take comments about your favorite set personallY?

Okay, so everyone knows that I am a Shapes and Shadows freak. I love the set, can't get enough of it.

Am I the only one who takes their fave set WAY too personally though?

With all the discussions about the March sale... I've heard people say "I'm not getting S&S, it's just not my style" and I think "I'm not their style!!!" :lol:

Am I the only one who is sooooooo emotionally attached to things?

And yes, I am a dork ;)

Kimberly

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:01 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

i tend to think the other way...what kind of person wouldn't love *favorite sets*?

i hope people don't take it too personally though, i know there are a few i don't care for. a lot of people rave about stipple celebrations, but i can't for the life of me figure out why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:08 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with you. My new "fav" set is Cool Cat. I had a wkshp. last week and made the Hostess Gift with Cool Cat. She didn't say anything right then, but a little later I overheard her looking through the Spring Mini and say, "I don't like that set, I hate cats." I didn't say anything, but I really did take it personally. I guess I'm just a dork too!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:09 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

If someone says they don't think a particular set is "their style" then I'm not offended by it, but if someone said..."That set is SOOOOOOOOOO UGLY. If anyone sends me a card with that set I'm going to PUKE all over it and send it back!!"...Then I think I would be offended.

A while back there was a thread about which stamps sets would you like to see go. I Like Your Style was at the top at the list. I admit that I did feel like dookie for having just ordered it. But then once I had it and used it a few times, I loved it!

Don't let the turkeys get you down. [Disclaimer: By this I'm not calling anyone a turkey, that's just how the saying goes.]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:10 AM   #5  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

i tend to think the other way...what kind of person wouldn't love *favorite sets*?
Yes, I have thought the other way too!

Michelle Laycock (*HI MICHELLE!*) said she wasn't sure if she was going to get S&S and I was like **WHAT??? But Michelle is a good person!** Like because she isn't getting a set she is a bad person now?

Again, HI MICHELLE and no I don't think you are a bad person!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:14 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is too funny - my friend and I have different styles and the things she likes (in stamps) sometimes I do not like and I love flowers and she does not but the funny thing is that we tend to be offended at times - it is human nature I guess -
The funny part of it all is that when we make a card or do a scrapbook page using the sets that each other does not like we tend to start liking them! If not the actual set then at least the style - I know personally I did not think Shapes and Shadows was all that - I have plenty of stamps I really dont NEED that one - Well thanks to you Kimberly and others that do so many awesome cards with that set I NEED It now! Sometimes we dont see the light until someone flips the switch!!!!

So dont be offended - everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes ~ that is what makes the world go round!!! And one day you just may eat crow if you say something bad about a set
Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #7  
Abbe-licious

Just a shout out.... I AM GETTING SHAPES AND SHADOWS THIS MONTH!!!

I am a dork too.

And by the way Kimberly, your face is looking fabulously slimmer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Consuelo, you crack me UP girl! Amy, I'm lovin' Cool Cat too, and I'm not even a cat person.
Anyway, back to the question. There are many sets that I wouldn't dream of buying, but I usually like what I see made with them, even if it's not my taste. I love your cards, Kimberly, and I wouldn't take it personally if someone didn't like my favourite set. It's like having a favourite colour or food or song. It may not be everyone's fave, but it doesn't matter or make you less likeable.
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Okay... Kimberly I have to plead guilty, I had to look in the catalog to see what Shapes and Shadows looked like :oops: :oops: :oops: Once I saw it I did recognize the set :oops: :oops:

I know how you feel, one of my favorites sets is Hedgehog Happiness. When I see it for trade in the BST, I go into :shock: :shock: I can't believe that someone is trading it off those hedgies!

I hope I'm not a bad person, but I don't really care for the Shapes & Shadows set :(

(but, I have seen some great cards made with it)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

BTW Kimberly.... did you get a haircut, you look different
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #11  
Abbe-licious

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
BTW Kimberly.... did you get a haircut, you look different
I think its all those pounds she is missing

she's my hero!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:44 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabbyAbbe
I think its all those pounds she is missing
she's my hero!
WOW, now I remember the picture Kimberly posted awhile back, showing her weight loss (i'm sure she took off more since then), ........ You go girl!

Sorry about the hijack, but, it was a good hijack! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:51 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

well kimberly.. i will make a shout out as a LAME DORK!! causei am soo inlove with shapes and shadows ALL BECAUSE OF YOU!! AND IT ARRIVES TOMORROW!! WITH MY COVETED COOL CAT! so i am one happy dorkopotomus today!!!! :lol:
watch out tomorrow.. when it actually arrives!!!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

This thread so reminds me of an incident last fall. I did a WS using Wonderful Words on the thank you card I demo'd. This one lady orders the set and I don't think another second about it, right? So TWO MONTHS LATER she emails me and says, "Can I return this set (WW). I haven't trimmed it yet or anything. I just don't like it."
:shock: :shock: :shock: ....HUH?!!!! Well I never! ...thought that ANYONE wouldn't like WW. Am I in the twilight zone here?
I looked up the policy (she's only allowed to exchange at this point) then thought carefully about what I'd say, then emailed her back, "Normally you're only allowed to exchange merchandise at this point, but as a *courtesy* I will *personally* buy WW back from you as it is an enormously popular set."
Yeah I know, not supposed to cash & carry, but hey it's one set, I'm not going to be selling it on the 'bay or anything. Just the next time a customer orders it, I'll give them that one.
Anyway, just thought I'd share-- yes it's easy to take things like that personally because our stamp choices often reflect our personalities, right? But just step back and realize it doesn't matter about shallow comments-- they have a right to their opinion, but pretty tacky to say so aloud after you've just demo'd the thing. I say "Yes, that's what I love about SU, there's something for everyone. You can apply this technique/card style to a different set of your liking."
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:32 AM   #15  
The Digi-Freak

Yay Tasha!

And Jovi, you do the most adorable things with hedgie, but I'm not a hedgehog (in general fan). However, because of your cards I have considered ordering one of the sets. Haven't gone THAT far yet ;) but I do admire them now!

Kimberly

P.S. I'm down 31 lb No haircut, but feeling a tad slimmer! Lonnnnng way to go still! Thanks for noticing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #16  
The Digi-Freak

Lisa, I have to admit that I would be :shock: :shock: about someone not liking WW!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I get offended if someone looks at a card I made and either doesn't comment or doesn't like it - especially if I worked long and hard on it (usually it's dh that does this so I chalk it up to testosterone!). However, there are lots of sets I don't like and that my girlfriend does and lots I love and she doesn't. That's what I like about SU - there is something that appeals to every style and personality and stuff. Can you imagine how boring the gallery would be if we all liked the exact same stuff/style?! ?

VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A new way to look at...

....the taking it personal dilemma.

Instead of feeling personally hurt when someone doesn't like your fave set, try to think about *why* they don't like it. Chances are, they just haven't seen **THE RIGHT** project done with it yet. IMNSHO, that is why swapping is important...including keeping cards that are our own personal taste/style/skill level. Our customers' tastes are intensely diverse.

For example, (and I'm using this only as an example, I have *no* empirical evidence whatsoever to back up this example! ) let's say that your fave set is Shapes & Shadows and your favorite color family is Soft Subtles. (4 Ss...easy to work with!) Well, let's say that her fave color family is Earth Elements. Until you show her a card or s/b page using that set with Earth Elements, chances are, she'll likely never be "sold" on the set. Maybe she thinks everything looks "too simple" and you need to show her "...A Step Up..." projects. Or maybe it doesn't look like many embellishments work with it. Find out - at least then, you'll know.

Same thing happened to me this week with Sparkling Summer. I'm not exactly what you'd consider a "beachy" gal...I don't tan, I burn...so I don't vacation or getaway and this set is just not my style. Then earlier this week, someone made a card with the drink glasses....to look like colas and teas. Now I'm thinking I *NEED* that set because I have so many photos of DH with tea in the summer in the yard.

Anyway, just my NSH thoughts on the matter.... ~ Kaylyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Default i'm sorry!

okay so i know this is "yesterday's" thread, but i want to reply and say sorry to Kimberly! I am one of those ones who said something negative about Shapes and Shadows. THEN i checked out the Shapes and Shadows gallery and whadyaknow i am placing an order for Shapes and Shadows today, can't wait to get it so i can CASE Kimberly's cards! I LOVE THEM, have fallen in love with the set, so excited.
i know what you mean about taking it personally though, i am the same way and even though i know everyone has different tastes when someone doesn't like something i love then i feel like they are saying that i have bad taste! to each their own...
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Well... I wouldn't be offended. I didn't like Shapes and Shadow's until I saw A LOT of the cards on here. Now, I'm getting it.

I'm not a "cutesy" type person. But, just because it isn't my "style" doesn't mean someone out there that I want to BUY, BUY, BUY won't just fall in love with it!

I'm learning to broaden my horizon's!

The Netherland set is another one that I said... WHY would I EVER buy that. But some of the cards I've seen done that way are just so darn cute!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is an interesting topic!

I demo'd Gentler Times (I'm an Anna Griffin stalker) and received lukewarm reception from all but the Hostess. "Not my style, but the cards you made are beautiful!", they said.

I should have taken it as precisely that; instead, I allowed myself to feel like I had failed the hostess and failed the guests because they didn't fall in love with that set as I had.

No more. I demo what I love and if the crowd doesn't fall in love with it, too, IT'S OK! But, unkind remarks like "I hate that set--I don't like cats!" mystify me.

I detest cats, but COOL CAT is the #1 set out of the Spring Mini catty that I absolutely HAD to have!!!!!!!!! So, maybe there's something wrong with ME! ?????????????

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Believe it or not, I've held off getting Shapes & Shadows because the only images that struck me out of it were the flower and the butterfly; the rest just didn't "spark" me. Of course, I'm first to admit, temptation nearly ran me down when I saw what everybody ELSE was doing with it (check out Lunarlana's stuff with it and tell me that wouldn't stop you right in your tracks?????? :shock: )--and I have teetered and teetered right on the brink . . . and that darn 50% off sale is REALLY tempting me . . . BUT, I'm gonna hang tight, I think?

Probably, because I have soooooooooooooooooo many floral images, and some with butterflies already, like Love without End, Watercolor Garden, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Everyone has their fav. sets and their own opinions. I just let it slide--they don't know what their missing! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

My best friend will go through the catalog and pick out sets that she loves. Some are ones I like too and others I'm thinking...what??? Then, she is really busy and prefers to CASE cards. So she will loan me the sets and pay me to design some cards for her to CASE. The first time she did that with one I really wasn't crazy about I wasn't sure I could do it. But, after using the set, I started liking it. To make a long story short, I have bought several of the sets I initially would have never looked twice at because I had a chance to use them. So, perhaps this my happen with some of your customers at workshops too. In general the more cards I see made with a set the more I like it. I know the very first set I bought, I chose because the demo had a set sampler of 10-12 cards that were all so very different and I thought "Wow, what a useful set!"

Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2005, 05:24 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Too tell you the truth, I wasn't interested in S&S until I saw the samples made with this set on SCS. I just ordered S&S this week. Don't take it personally that someone doesn't like what you like, that is what makes us all different.
Reply With Quote Likes