Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin' Around Cartridges

So those of you that use the wheels a lot, how many different color catridges do you have to go with them? 48 colors at $4.95 each.......
where to start, where to start. I sure can't afford too many so are there a few colors that work well over all?

Is there one that acts like versamark and would just darken any color card stock?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

You can roll the wheel right on the versamark then on the cs - I've tried it and that works good. You can also get the empty cartridge and the versamark refill and fill the cartridge w/ that - HOWEVER I've been told it can take several HOURS for the ink to soak in b/c the VM ink is so thick. I only have a few cartridges so far - black, a pink, a green, a bluue, etc. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Default versamark in cartridge

i just had to add my 2 cents- i have the versamark cartridge for my wheels and i love it- and i haven't had any problem with the 'ink' [or whatever that stuff is!] soaking into the cartridge wheel. i think that is the way to go- because you're right- you can't buy them all. what i do generally is pick a couple colors from each color group and have those- that way i always have at least a color that basically 'goes' with whatever project i'm doing. but mostly i use black/ white and the versamark.

hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

This is helpful. Can you help me find where in the catalog to get the right thing? I see the 1, 2, and 3 cell empty cartridges and I don't understand them or what the differences are. I see on pg. 230 the Stampin' Around Embossing Ink Cartridges with clear embossing - is this versamark? If not what exactly do I get?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

You want the one cell empty cartridge for the standard wheel. SU does sell an "embossing" cartridge w/ refill but I've heard not a lot of ppl are happy w/ it - they would rather use VersaMark. I plan on getting the empty cartridge w/ the VersaMark refill. It's all up to what you personally want and like to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

The cartridges are set up so you can have one color, or two or three different colors on the same cartridge, so a one cell is for one color and the two or three cells are for two and three colors :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #7  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

When I first started getting some cartridges, I tried to get ones that went with my wheels. For the pine bough, for example, I wanted a green. For bears, a brown.

Then you can collect more diverse colors as you expand....

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by happystamper21
You want the one cell empty cartridge for the standard wheel. SU does sell an "embossing" cartridge w/ refill but I've heard not a lot of ppl are happy w/ it - they would rather use VersaMark. I plan on getting the empty cartridge w/ the VersaMark refill. It's all up to what you personally want and like to do!
Getting the empty cartridge and inking it with VersaMark is a lot more versatile than using the embossing cartridge, IMO. You will also be able to use it for the "watermark" effect, while the embossing ink will disappear as it dries and leave your paper blank.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I cannot afford many colors for my wheels yet, so I just roll them on the classic pads that I have..I dont have any cartriages (sp?) in it, there are too many other things I need first. and as much as I use my wheels it works just fine for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:16 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I just use my stamp pads to ink up the roller all the way around (no cartridge necessary). It will roll around one time perfectly on a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 inch card. I have any color I need this way. I do have a dozen or so cartridges, but I never use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I have a few basic ones in the colors I use alot...Brillant blue, pink passion, creamy caramel, lovely lilac, tempting tourquise, real red- I also have a Bliss Blue cartride because I was doing some baby shower invites with the baby wheel...

I have both the embossing and the versamark one...I would say save your money and just make sure you have a nice juicy versamark pad - roll the wheel on the pad a few times and roll away...

Personally when using the wheels I like the bolder effect of tone on tone rather than the watermark effect of versamark.

If you are just using your wheels for small cards (i.e. going across a card front) you can just ink up your wheel on a big pad...I have the spots in 2 color families and have only begun to collect big pads here and there so that is why I have a bunch of cartridges.

If you want to wheel larger items, like bags, boxes, 12X12 scrapbook pages then you will need a cartridge because the wheel won't get evenly inked since it will go around more than once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 04:08 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Since I use my wheel mainly for scrapbooking Iwill respond to this one. I have the cartridges because the pad would not give me enough ink to do a 12/12 page. I have boys so I use blue a lot. So, I have 2 different blues, real red, only orange (which I LOVE!), a purple and just bought black! You can always use black and add a little color with your markers if you don't have a color you want for a certain page.

Mom to 3 wonderful boys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 04:43 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

For the standard I have: VM, Chocolate Chip, Night of Navy, Baroque Burgandy, Black and an empty one since I started to get refills for the pads and now you can use the same refills.

For the jumbo roller I have: Baroque Burgandy, Night of Navy, Ballet Blue and again an empty one.

I am saving the empty one to use with the encore refills (which I have) but haven't had a project yet to use with...and I here it is a little messy to fill.

Just my 2 cents.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Quote:

Originally Posted by happystamper21
Getting the empty cartridge and inking it with VersaMark is a lot more versatile than using the embossing cartridge, IMO. You will also be able to use it for the "watermark" effect, while the embossing ink will disappear as it dries and leave your paper blank.
While this is true that the embossing ink really isn't as good as versamarker, I think at the same price for the empty and embossing cartridge, it is more economical to get the embossing ink cartridge and then ink it up with versamarker re-inker. Otherwise the empty cartridge will take a LOT of re-inker to soak up. The embossing ink is pretty much the same as the versamark, just not as strong, so if you add the versamark reinker you are good to go. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 05:00 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Does SU even sell the embossing ink cartridge or versamark cartridge for the wheels anymore?

I tried to find them in the catalog over the weekend and wound up ordering the empty one-cell since I have the Versamark refill. I like the idea of adding it to the embossing wheel if it still available.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Yup - they still sell them. Page 230 of the catalog with the other embossing stuff. It is also referenced on page 200 which describes SU! colors, inks, refills, pastels, markers, spots, etc... and where to find them.
Looks liek you have the buy the cartridge and refill together or just the refill, but can't buy just the cartridge? Anyone know if this is right? Doesn't sound right...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 05:19 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't do the stamp pad thing. I am not that talented, it just never turns out right. As I purchase wheels I think how I am going to use them and what colors I would need. I would like to have all 48 but I am fine just buying a couple at a time. Do you have someone else you stamp with that you can share supplies with?
SCS #11408
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 05:23 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, I'm losing it - never even saw the blurb. I did feel better when I saw the words "not pictured" next to the item #!!

:oops:

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

As usual, ya'll are very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T HAVE ALL THE 48 COLORS OF IN CARTRIDGES????
I do! It took me several years to do it but I do have them all. I am a wheel queen. I have three drawers with wheels in them. That is not counting my drawer of jumbos!! I probally use blues, pinks, greens and summer sun the most. There are some cartridges that are still in the shrink wrap , still but I will eventually get them out and use them. I just need the right inspiration.
good luck on chosing the right colors for your projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Leney - if you have 3 drawer fulls, they might be taking up more room than you want them too. My demo told me that they fit perfectly in Pringles cans. You can stamp the wheel on a label and put them on the cans so that you know which wheel is at the bottom, second from the bottom.... etc. Maybe you already know this and your system works for you but I thought I would share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Stampin__jen, there is no way I would ever put them in a pringles can or on a doul rod either. Thanks, for the tip, anyway. When I want to find a wheel I am not going to dump them all out, just to get to the one wheel I want. If I stored them that way I would then, have to put them all away again. This way I can find what I want when I want it. And not have a big, pain of a mess to clean up when I only needed one wheel. I have looked at lots of storage options for wheels and this works the best for me. I have enough messes to clean up without one more mess. I've been at this long enough to know what is quick and easy and what is a bigger time waster.
I appreciate your sharing. That's what this board is all about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Hey, I am just glad I can contribute a little something for once even if you were not able to use the tip because you have found something better that works for you. Everyone here has been so helpful to me so far and one of these days, I will be able to help others more with questions they have or I can share more tips as I learn.
Reply With Quote Likes