Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stamping Injuries Anyone???!!!

I am definitely out of commission for awhile and I MISS MY STAMPING ROOM!! I was going down my ladder into my new stamping room (arms full with Jo-Ann's bags and old photos to scrap. ) I felt myself falling backwards SOOO... I jumped down, 3-4 feet (I guess) onto one leg and injured my knee. Home alone, called 911, ambulance, stretcher, EVERYTHING!! I am out of work for this week until my next Dr. appt. Have a leg brace and crutches. Definitely tore some ligaments but will find out if I may need surgery.
I'm beginning to go out of my mind... But venting on SCS definitely helps.
Has anyone else been injured so they could not stamp??? :oops: Aimee J in NH.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry!!

I hope you get better soon.

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Default Hope you feel better

I have had injuries, but not that bad...I have cut myself with the blade and the ever famous paper cuts...Get better soon! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Now is the time to lay back, get lots of scrappin and stampin magazines and just dream of the possibilities. So when you can again sit and scrap your head will be full of all kinds of possibilities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh man, I tore the ligaments in my knee skiing so when I read you story I started to cry at the thought of you falling that far down on your legs. Ouch !! And insult to injury, no stamping ??? There is just no justice. Maybe try and put a chair on the other side of the table to prop up your leg so you can stamp a little.

I wish a speedy recovery for you

Wendy

Mom to Chris (6) & Debbie ( !
Wife to fantastic hubby Don !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I am glad that you are okay, and I hope you get better soon! Funny you should mention injuries that prevent you from stamping. On Valentines day, I had my minivan backed into my driveway (front end lower than the back) The kids were getting in, my son accidentally kicked the slider door (the lock locked) which moves really fast when it is pointing downhill, and caught my pointer and middle fingers in the latch. OUCH!!! There was a lot of blood and screaming. I spent the night in the ER, no stitches or broken bones (dr said that was a miracle considering I had to unlock the door to get my fingers out.) But with my very swollen and cut up fingers in a fingertips to elbow device, how was I going to cut paper for 25 girls for my stamp camp the next day? I decided to take the device off and tape my fingers together with a bone folder under to keep them straight. ( Bone folders are great) I now had use of three of my fingers on my left hand. It is amazing what one can do when determined to stamp!! Got all that paper cut with time to spare. My DH now thinks I am crazy. I say unless I am paralyzed, I will stamp!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

My arthritis acts up on a regular basis - thank goodness for Glucosamine & Chondroitin! I am a lucky arthritis sufferer (tongue in cheek!) - I am only 28 and have it in both hands & wrists. It sucks! Especially when I am feeling inspired!! :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry about your leg. I hope you don't have to have surgery. I have been there!! I am the biggest clutz you ever wanna meet :lol: I hurt myself all the time, but never stamping. That is until I got them darn Craft & Rubber Scissors in my starter kit. Them things are sharp :shock: Well I was doing what you ladies recommend, cleaning them with Goo Gone and I cut my hand so bad I needed stitches, but being frugal & not having insurance right then made me go for the butterfly strips instead. I didn't think it would ever stop bleeding!! Well back to the leg thing!! I was planning for my outside wedding. I was pointing to where I wanted to sit up the chairs and the next thing I know I'm laying on the ground. I had been mowed down by my 2 Best friends( 2 Rotties) The female was in heat and was running from the male, neither paying a bit of attention to where they were going. They tore my Meniscus almost in half. Well I had to where this leg brace to walk down the aisle. I was supposed to have the crutches too, but I used Daddy's arm instead!!! Oh it was awful!!
http://michellegruber.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Oh yeah, I had a cyst removed from my left wrist. I was in bandages for about a week and then a cast for 3 weeks. I'm right handed, but I use my left had A LOT when stamping -- especially for cutting paper. I was able to do a little bit, but I didn't want to use my hand and make the healing slower.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I once did so much sponging in one weekend that the pad of my thumb split open! That took ages to heal!! :shock: And I've had one small incident with my C&R scissors too....a wee chunk of finger got in the way when cuttin' rubbah one night....no stitches required, thankfully, or my paramedic friend would never let me hear the end of it!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

You people have to make me stop lauging so hard. Poor Java-gurl that was so sad. I feel her pain. To not be able to stamp...the worst ever!

hen everyone else's injuries just made me laugh out loud. Using a bone folder as a splint. I shared that story with DH and he was shaking his head. I'd do the same...and TFS the extra use for my bone folder!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm known to use my QuicKutz until the palm of my hand is bruised. The last cut usually has to be made by DH before I concede defeat. I could use the desk cradle, but then I'd have to clear off some space on my "creative counter"

PS. I think this is my 10th (laugh all you want ladies) post, so I'm never posting again. "Glitter Queen" is probably the best thing I've been called in my life (except for Mommy...)

Les
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I'm so sorry!! Not being able to stamp is the worst so hopefully you'll get better in a hurry.

I was rearended once and hurt my neck/shoulder. For about 3 months it only hurt when I stamped :(

Now as far as hurting myself while I was stamping, I'll admit that I've done it too Those scissors sure are sharp and that heat gun sure gets hot!! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Last year about this time, I had knee surgery for a torn Meniscus, to remove cartilage and scale/shave my bones.

I didn't get much stamping done, but it wasn't long before all my unmounted stamps were mounted - - that was something I could do without getting up.

If you have wood or tile floors, an office chair with wheels is perfect for leaning on to hop around AND cart goodies on from room to room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

So sorry to hear about your injury. You need to send someone to your stamp room and pack you a "travel bag" so that you can work on it "upstairs"!!! Hope you heal quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

That's awful about your injury. Hope you aren't out of commission for long. I had to tear cs for a swap and the ends of my fingers were sore for days, my hubby thought it was quite funny. I also cut myself on one of the ink pads, while opening it. It's pretty sharp so now I tell everyone to keep their fingers free of the edges when opening and closing the pads. I have a blood phobia and usually come close to fainting when I see it, especially my own. But I was so worried about getting blood on my pad that I was okay. Hubby thought that was funny too.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't stamp well, due to broken....

I didn't break my wrist while trying to stamp........But I did break it while on the job.
Slip on some "Black Ice" while walking down some stairs....Believe me, this has put a cramp in my stamping ....

But I can do some stamping....I have 6 more weeks of this, And if that's not bad I'm not suppose to drive .
So staying at home is ok, but I can't go anywhere, without someone taking me

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi, sorry about your injury. Last June I was working with my exacto knife and cut my thumb right down to the bone. Had to have surgery and was out of commission for 2 1/2 months. Doc said if my bone was not there then I would have lost my thumb. Thank goodness for bones! GET BETTER QUICK!

Nailwiz!

Watch out for those Knives ladies![/b]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #19  
Hot Mess

I severely injure myself with the paper piercing tool every time I use it. I keep bandaids in my stamp area now! I have bled all over many cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Default stampin injuries

When I first started stamping I was (maybe still am) enthralled with embossing. I had a little clippy thing to hold the paper so I didn't have my hand near the heat. But I was leaning over to get to better light (so I could ooohhh and ahhhh while the color started to show) and smelled smothing really bad, like burning hair. YEAH, that was burning hair alright, mine! Hope your leg feels better soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

:lol: THANKS EVERYONE!!!! I feel better already and I LOVE hearing your war stories!!! Just when I was beginning to feel sorry for myself. I took your advice and my DH went down and brought up ALOT of necessities. I got on the phone intercom and told him what to get. Good thing I have EVERY drawer and rolling cart labeled. A Brothers labeler thing was one of my best purchases when I started stamping. ANYHOO, he found everything and I am in a much better mood. Thanks for cheering me up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

:shock: OH, before I forget... What part of the knee is the miniscus?? I go in this Friday and I want to know if that may be my problem. I know I've torn one of my MCL's and hopefully NOT my ACL. That's the one that requires surgery. Thay have to take a tendon from your thigh and stitch it in place for your knee. FUN, FUN. When this happened, all I know is that when I stood on that leg, my leg went out to the side at a 45 degree angle, kinda like a rubber barbie doll leg. IT was SCARY! So I don't want anyone to touch it! Thanks again everyone. Gimpy Aimee J from NH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Stamping Injury

WOw! I'm so sorry you're on crutches. I didn't put myself quite that out of commission, but I did manage to give myself a small and kinda painful 2nd Degree burn on my arm from an embossing heat gun. No scar now though. :oops:

And I believe the meniscus is the kneecap. But check webmd.com to verify.

I hope you are better soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Well, I haven't broken anything but I did get injured a year ago in February that limited my stamping activities for a while.
Picture in your mind a 50ish year old slightly overweight woman in a small bathroom on the commode trying to get ready for work. She has two large dogs. One a 10 year old Aussie mix who weighs 65 poounds and the other a 2 year old black lab who weighs 55 pounds. The Aussie has a psychopathic fear of being eaten alive when the woman's DH sneezes or coughs. The DH is downstaris and feels the need to sneeze!
The Aussie pushes her way into the bathroom and attempts to climb on the woman's lap for protection. The woman attempts to reclose the bathroom door when the DH coughs. The Black Lab decides that her sister is a chicken and should be made to leave "Mommie" alone in the bathroom. She begins to growl, comes into the bathroom and attempts to herd her sister out of the bathroom.
The DH (downstairs in the kitchen) clears his throat and the Aussie refuses to leave the refuge of the bathroom. A fight ensues and the woman has no where to go, has her undies around her ankles (and not much else) and manages to get her leg in the way of the dogs.
After much shouting, screaming, growling, coughing, sneezing, a trip to the emergency room and a bunch of good drugs, you would think the ordeal was over. No. Two weeks later, following an all day stamping marathon, a scab pulled and a blood gyser erupted. A second trip to the hospital resulted in six stitches. A few days later an infection was discovered and after testing it was determined to be a staph infection.
The whole episode put a crimp into the trip I had planned to Hawaii about 30 days after the infection was discovered. Salt water! Thank heavens someone recommended really good water proof bandages!
My Aussie still thinks she should be with me every step I take and the Lab still thinks I should be protected from her sister. At least they have decided to lay quietly under the table when I stamp.
One of these days, I'll get their picture on as my avatar.

Creating Healthier Lives. Find out how. www.shaklee.net/charleslaura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by baronsmom
In November, I had carpal tunnel surgery & the removal of a ganglion cyst that keeps coming back. I am a lefty & wouldn't you know it, this was all on my left hand! :shock: I wanted to stamp sooooooooo bad & couldn't. There was a SCS gathering 10 days after my surgery & I had to just watch. Talk about torture! My hand still isn't healed properly......doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I was stamping again 3 weeks post-op. :oops: NOT AT ALL, I TELL YA! At least with it being your leg, you aren't out one of you hands like I was! Take it easy & have DH go buy you some magazines to encourage creativity to brew!
Oh no...I'm having a carpal tunnel release on 3/25. I hope I'm not out of stamping condition that long!!! I do everything with my right hand (including driving my manual transmission car). What am I going to do if I can't stamp?

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Aimee,
The meniscus is the cartilage disc that cushions the joint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I once did so much sponging in one weekend that the pad of my thumb split open! That took ages to heal!!
qc,
If that happens again, use Super Glue on the split. It works wonders and allows it to heal without any further splitting. Our school nurse just applied some to my split thumb this morning! No more pain!

Java-gurl,
Yikes! Your heart must have been in your throat when you felt yourself falling! TG you weren't hurt even worse! Hope you can avoid surgery.
When I blew my knee out on our trip to Washington, DC last April, I had to climb up the stairs on my hands and one good knee to make it up to my stamping room. Not stamp!....Unthinkable! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I can't stop laughing!!!! The dog story is hilarious....I am in tears. I know how those dogs can be though. I have 2 chihuahuas, Taz thinks he needs to be in my lap all the time. I tell him no, but he just jumps up anyway, even when I have a stamp in my hand. I have lots of "bumped" cards.

As far as injuries from stamping....I bought a new paper cutter from Michael's, the nice big one with the changable wheels. Well, one Sunday I played hookie from church so I could get some cleaning done. Then I was going to get lots of stamping done....yea, right. I was just getting started, pulled the guide over on the cutter & knew I needed stitches immediately. My DH works nights so I had to wake him up to drive me to the hospital ( I have a stick shift, could have driven but then I would have to clean the blood up from the car too!) 4 hours & 4 stitches later, I was home & stamping again.
The only other thing that keeps me from stamping is my back. I've had 3 surgeries & need a 3rd so it gets very hard for me to sit for hours & hours & hours stamping.

Keep the stories coming...it makes my day & laughter is good for the mind & soul!! :lol:

Jeanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

WOW - I will DEFINATELY be sharing ALL these posts w/ my demo neighbor who thinks I'm a crazy obsessed stamper just b/c I was known to take a nap or 2 when I got too tired from stamping!! I haven't had any SERIOUS stamping-related injuries, I've poked myself several times w/ my paper-piercer, cut myself, just about seriously burned myself when I dropped the heat gun, etc. etc. etc. It feels good to read all you guys war stories and the encouragement. I am SO GLAD I became an obsessed stamper and even more glad to know there are more of you like me out there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

When I was a teenager, I fell from a balance beam and tore my meniscus. It was a nagging pain for a long time and finally I got the right Dr. to see me and we got it fixed.

Happy Heart is exactly right. Luckily, just before that injury over 20 years ago, they learned to repair them instead of removing them. Repair is a much better procedure. I met a man who had his removed and he couldn't bend his knee much. Today, my knee has never given me another problem.

Let us know how it goes for you. I know we'll all be thinking about you!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelwil
That's awful about your injury. Hope you aren't out of commission for long. I had to tear cs for a swap and the ends of my fingers were sore for days, my hubby thought it was quite funny. I also cut myself on one of the ink pads, while opening it. It's pretty sharp so now I tell everyone to keep their fingers free of the edges when opening and closing the pads. I have a blood phobia and usually come close to fainting when I see it, especially my own. But I was so worried about getting blood on my pad that I was okay. Hubby thought that was funny too.
Kelli
OK , that was the best laugh I have had in a while! "Woman overcomes blood phobia to save....her ink pad!" Oh the power of a stampin addiction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Oh wow! That's a major injury! I've had cuts from my paper cutter all along my middle finger and "stamper's shoulder" for about 2 weeks after making over 100 swap cards. But never anything like you did! Take care and heal up quickly!

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I've got one similar for ya!! My very first party I was going to demo, I was setting up at my daughter's best friend's house - her mom was hosting a party for me. I had always been in the family room/dining room, never any other parts of the house. Well, I start setting up in the formal dining room and was carrying a big box with all my stuff - didn't have anything on wheels when I first started....the box was literally about 30 pounds.. I couldn't see where I was walking and didn't know they had a sunken living room. :oops: :shock: I torn the tendons and ligaments in my left ankle (for the second time) and was on crutches for 3 weeks. Now, I'm not a small person by any means...crutches and I DON'T get along! I tried to go to work for a couple of days and just couldn't do it. I couldn't go back to work until after I got off crutches and could kind of hobble again. I didn't stamp either... all I did was lay on the couch! Yes, she did finally have another party for me once I got better, but what a way to start a business, huh?

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Re: Stamping Injuries Anyone???!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Java-gurl
I am definitely out of commission for awhile and I MISS MY STAMPING ROOM!! I was going down my ladder into my new stamping room (arms full with Jo-Ann's bags and old photos to scrap. ) I felt myself falling backwards SOOO... I jumped down, 3-4 feet (I guess) onto one leg and injured my knee. Home alone, called 911, ambulance, stretcher, EVERYTHING!! I am out of work for this week until my next Dr. appt. Have a leg brace and crutches. Definitely tore some ligaments but will find out if I may need surgery.
I'm beginning to go out of my mind... But venting on SCS definitely helps.
Has anyone else been injured so they could not stamp??? :oops: Aimee J in NH.
Okay since no one else appears to have asked- you were going DOWN A LADDER to get your stamp room? I thought I had it bad with not being able to use mine right now (remodeling)
My worst stamping injury has probably been sore and bruised fingers from cutting out stamps. thats what happens when you cut 10-12 sets at a time. :oops: A few very minor heat gun burns but nothing to write home about.
Now about this ladder....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

Actually it is a stairway angled just like a ladder. The treads are also VERY close together so you kinda have to shuffle/step at a steep angle. (DH said it was the only way he could make a stairway since the wall is about 2 ft away from the bottom step!) AND I always hated it but never said anything. It comes from a trap-door in my DD's closet. Once down there though, the room is beautiful! Light berber carpet, great overhead lighting, Formica counters going along two walls with storage cabinets underneath. I have had friends over and it is comfortable for 3-4 other stampers. Gimpy (Aimee J in NH)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #37  
Inking Addict

OH, gotta tell... When I fell, I was carrying a bag full of new ribbon from Jo-Ann's. Great deal, 50% off and they were beautiful! Small gingham checks and others with tiny polka dots in EVERY color. I just couldn't resist so had a bag full. I had to LAUGH (almost) when I saw the emergency guys (about 10 in all, including the police) survey the room where Iwas and saw all of these spools of ribbon scattered everywhere. Just imagine a big, burly guy standing there with a spool of pink polka dot ribbon asking me, "Where's the party?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Just imagine a big, burly guy standing there with a spool of pink polka dot ribbon asking me, "Where's the party?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is so funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunStamper
Quote:

Just imagine a big, burly guy standing there with a spool of pink polka dot ribbon asking me, "Where's the party?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is so funny!
ROTFLAPMP :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Stamper's Shoulder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunStamper
Oh wow! That's a major injury! I've had cuts from my paper cutter all along my middle finger and "stamper's shoulder" for about 2 weeks after making over 100 swap cards. But never anything like you did! Take care and heal up quickly!

Ginger
Is that what that is, Ginger? I always thought it was bursitis! LOL

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes