Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is etiquette for taking stamps to a CM crop?

My customer (I'm an SU demo) has invited me to an all day CM crop for National Scrapbook Day. But I never scrapbook without my stamps. Should I use them at the crop, or would that be rude? I don't know this CMC personally, and neither does my friend, so we can't exactly ask her.
When I used to crop at the LSS, I used my stamps, and people were always asking me questions, and taking my card. Sometimes they would even form a little circle around me to see what I was doing. I think I would feel really bad if that happened at a CM crop, which is why I've never gone to MY close CM friend's crops, even though she always tells me to come and use whatever I use-stamps and all.
I just wanted to know what everybody else thinks about this. I've had people come and use CM stuff at my crops, and it's no big deal to me, even if somebody asks them, "Hey! That's cool! How much is that? Do you sell it?" It doesn't bother me, because it's not a workshop. It's a crop. And I'm just there to have fun. Somebody else might not feel like that.
Opinions please?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I say take your stamps. They're your scrapping supplies, right? If people ask questions, answer them. Use your stamps & be proud
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Taken them...I attend several crops sponsored by CM demos. I use them for personal use and if anyone asks I give them my business card and tell them to call me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a good friend that is a CM consultant. I love her crops because I get so much done. People do ask me about my stamps and I tell them, but it sometimes I'll tell my friends about CM if there's something I think they would really like from my friend. I guess I'm just kinda laid back about that sort of stuff. I'm a SU demonstrator, but I'm always honest if I think another line has something to offer that we can't. I guess if you get a good CM demonstrator she'll do the same thing and maybe you can both benefit! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

My best friend is a CM consultant and I go to her crops all the time. We just recently had an all day event and I brought my stamps with me. Ofcourse, I asked her before hand if she minded and she said to bring whatever I want, it was supposed to be a day of fun. My general rule of thumb is that I won't promote our scrapbooking items at a CM crop and I tend to emphasize how great our stamps work to fill in space on the white pages of the CM scrapbooks (which I love, by the way). I do bring a catty with me and some business cards, just in case, but if someone inquires about it I ask that they just give me a call after the crop or not to look through the catty right at the table where everyone is cropping. In fact, I just got a party out of the last CM crop I was at.

As long as your friend is being honest and really doesn't mind then I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:13 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I am planning on going to the CM National Scrapbook day and I will be bringing my Alphabet stamps and Stampin spots...

I guess it depends on the demo - I have been to a bunch of different CM parties...my demo is a good friend (and stamper to) - she uses all sorts of stuff in her scrapbooks...

However I have been to 2 CM parties with different demos other than my own - one actually berated me for using non-CM stuff in my scrapbooks...I like to call her the CM Nazi....the other one didn't berate me but it felt to me she gave me the cold shoulder when she saw I didn't use exclusively CM stuff in my scrapbook...

But considering you are paying to attend this event (I assume there is a fee) I would take whatever you want to put in your scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was a CMC and my good friend and CMC is the one who introduced me to Stamping in the first place - we placed orders together!

ANYWAY - TAKE YOUR STAMPS - I would be careful about "promoting" yourself too much as some CMC's can be very touchy about that but honestly you are going to work on your scrapbooks and should take what you need to work on your pages! - I personally would not see the harm in telling people that you are a demo and would be glad to show them some stamping techniques at a later date and giving them a card or taking their names to send a newsletter to. Heck the CMC may even want to host a SU party!!!! Mine does!!!

Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Take your stamps and work on YOUR Scrapbook any way your heart desires. This is YOUR time to work on scrapbook. You didn't say but I guess you are or will be paying a fee to attend the Crop. If a fee was paid then there's no question, use the time you paid for to do as you please.

I am a SU demo and my daughter is a CM Consultant. We respect each other and the businesses we are both trying to build. My daughter holds monthly crops at her Church each month, and I bring all my SU supplies that I need to work on my current project. I don't broadcast that I am a SU demo, I just quietly go about my business and stamp my little heart out. I always have a catalog with me and some business cards and if anyone asks I give a card and tell them to call me.

Personally (and I'll probably get blasted for these comments) I feel that there is no other company out there that has rubber stamping material and supplies like SU. I love the company and its ideals. They are the best for stamping. But I also like CM, and to me their cropping and cutting tools are the best there is on the market. My scrapbooks are a happy combination of both companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stamps at Crop

I am a consultant for another stamp company, but my CM consultant is always making comments about my non CM products in my albums. She is the CM Queen. I don't take my stuff to her crops but I do organize stamping get togethers and encourage those that don't stamp to bring their albums and scrap. Her crops are always alot more stressful for me so I don't attend many anymore. The get togethers that I have are usually attended by a lot more people. We generally keep it pretty lively. Music, movies, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

For a crop I would take whatever I would use. For a hosted party - no. But if you plan on getting any pages done at the crop and you need stamps to do it - by all means take them. Hey, can you do an extra 3 pages for me? I am so far behind in my kids' books :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Is this something you pay to go to? If its a day for me to go and work on my projects than I would certainly bring my stamps and if is is something I am paying to attend I would absolutely bring them.

We have a Super Camp coming up in April (all weekend event) and we pay to attend. It is put on by some SU demo's. I recently became a TAC consultant and plan on bringing my new stamps. I am paying for the event (both a "registration" fee and for the hotel) so I will bring what I want in terms of stamps/paper/inks etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #12  
ncs
Polyshrink Goddess

...I feel that there is no other company out there that has rubber stamping material and supplies like SU. I love the company and its ideals. They are the best for stamping. But I also like CM, and to me their cropping and cutting tools are the best there is on the market. My scrapbooks are a happy combination of both companies.[/quote]

I agree with that comment above! I go to CM crops. Both consultants I know pretty much use all CM in their scrapbooks. However, they both like the layouts I do, which include lots of SU! stuff and things purchased elsewhere. Neither has said anything "Nazi" to me on how I scrap. (I like that descriptive word--ha ha--thanks Jenmouer)I think if you pay to go to a crop, you can use whatever your little heart desires...and I know I sure do love to stamp in my scrapbooks. I remember using eyelets at one crop and some people acted like I was an alien and had never heard of eyelets. :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Default crops

My SIL is a CM lady and she USE TO make comments about non CM stuff in albums. But now...she just does her own thing. I would bring whatever YOU want to work on. Don't let other people tell you what to do with or in your scrapbook. Not only do I take my SU stuff to her crops, but I also work on cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #14  
Hot Mess

My SIL is a CM demo and she doesn't care what you use at her crops. She is very open minded about all the other products out there but she doesn't use them. She is ok with me dragging all my stuff to her house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

A girl I know used to be a CMC. She had monthly crops at her house that you paid for. She DID NOT like for us (my friends and I) to bring our SU things. She would even state in her newsletters that the crops were CM in nature. Once there - she would make comments to us about our SU items.

My best friend is a CMC and holds crops at her house. She doesn't mind at all because she is also a really good customer of mine. She uses stamps in her books.

I just attended a weekend crop in Feb hosted by a couple CMC. I paid a registration fee and hotel fee. I brought anything I wanted. Did I feel like I was using contraband? YES! However, I stamp in my books, so that is what I needed to accomplish them!! One of the CMC is also a customer of mine. She didn't really care, but the other ones would give us looks. I did have a couple people stop by my table and tell me they looked through my book and really liked it. (I was totally flattered because I don't consider myself to be good at scrapbooking.)

I am attending another CM weekend crop in the fall. I have to pay for that one as well. I plan to bring my SU stuff there too.

I am not totally anti-CM. I love their cutting tools. I do feel (for me) that their pages are too bland for me. I like to "spice" my pages up some. Even my CMC friend thinks CM could gain more interests/customers if their pages weren't so bland/open space.

So, to answer your question yes - bring your SU supplies. That is what you need to finish your pages. Don't feel bad and have FUN!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I would contact the hostess and ask her-CMC vary soooooo much that it's hard to generalize..... Some are as someone posted earlier "CM nazi's" and some are very laid back.....
Reply With Quote Likes