Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Someone Please Tell Me....

.....why I need to buy a Xyron?

I went to Michael's today. I had a 40% off coupon. I also had a gift certificate I received for my birthday a couple weeks ago.

I had the Xyron 250 in my cart. I also had the 500 and the 510 sitting there. I stood in that aisle for nearly 45 minutes reading the boxes (and even opened them to look at the booklets inside). I walked around the store for another half hour trying to decide what to do. :?

I finally put everything back and walked out without buying ANYTHING for me because I couldn't make up my mind. :(

Do you have any one of these three I was looking at (ranging from $20 to $100 regular price)? How often do you use it? Do you really NEED this? Are the cartridges always available? Do you use the laminate and/or magnet cartridges?

Ugg. I was so frustrated with myself, but would have been even more upset if I spent (up to $60) on something I'll never use.

Responses, advice, chiding, laughing, and any other quips are gladly accepted from all of you creative artists! Thanks in advance for the input.

-- Denise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Denise,

I did the very same thing today. Looked at all three and didn't buy anything! :? I figured I would do a little more homework before buying one of these.

Karrie G
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

They work well if you have a Sizzix or Quikcutz cutting system. They let you make stickers out of things. But if you stamp all of your alphabets and all of your images, you might not need one. But the 250 is only about $15 with the 40% off coupon isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the Xyron 150 (the little X) and have used it a bunch for punchouts and small things. My Alphabits hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know if that will fit in the X or not. (I'm not even going to attempt to deal with putting adhesive on each itty bitty punched out letter!) I just recently got the 510 for things that are too big to fit in the 150, but I haven't used it yet. I was wishing I had it a little while ago when I had cut out the Sweet Treats cake with the candles; putting the mono on those little candles sticking out was awful, but it didn't fit in the 150. I got the 510 shortly after that.

I've often seen the refills available, but I've not needed to replace either of mine yet so I don't know if they are consistently available or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the 250, I too looked at all the other sizes and I decided that I dont really need adhesive on anything wider than 2 1/2 inches. I also figured that I would have less waste this way. I am kind of thinking that I might also like the X shaped one for really small things. I have run a piece of CS through mine before using the paper pieceing punch, it was nice to not have to put adhesive on the backs of each piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I have one, but I find that I do not use it very often. However, I imagine that is because I do not know how to use it! I have laminated some items, made stickers and put pictures through to use the magnetic backing. I am anxious to read other posts to find out what I am missing by not knowing.....LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

i have the 150 (aka the x, the sticker maker) and the 900. i use them both and love them. do i need it? well...define need! i could make do without them but they are easier than some of the other work-arounds i'd use.

i use mine for small things (anything so small it's a pain to try and put mono on) as well as for vellum and ribbon. i could struggle with another type of adhesive on small stuff but i prefer to skip the hassle. there are adhesives for vellum i could use, or i could simply try to "hide" my adhesive, but again--i just prefer to use the xyron. ribbon i could also adhere with something else, but i like the xyron cause it's easier.

and i do use the laminate and magnet cartridges. the magnet is great for making things to hang on the fridge (obviously!). the laminate i've not used for stamping or scrapbooking yet, just other things around the house. but i plan to snag an idea i saw from someone else here about making photocopies of the mounting stickers before mounting new stamps and then laminating that to go in the stamp container. that will make it easy to see if all the stamps are there when i have several sets out at once.

i don't remember what the prices on them are--but i think you can pick up the little orange x (it will do items up to 1.5 inches wide) for about $5. not a big investment to just try it out. if you want to laminate or make magnets, the 510 is the smallest you can buy because the others don't have those options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I have the 510 and use it all the time. I chose this model because of its versatility. It accepts more cartridges than the 500 and smaller, allowing magnets, laminating, etc.

Once I got the hang of using it, I have been known to put all sorts of things in there to make it sticky: ribbon, tags, vellum, photos, metal embellishments... even foil!

I love it! It was purchased at Michael's with the coupon... and the cartridges are on sale there regularly (or you can use future coupons for those too).
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have had the X (150)one for a while, too, and I really like it. I use it especially for ribbons and small punch outs.

I recently bought the Xyron 503 at Big Lots for $14. It came with a laminating cartridge. It says on the box that it's for laminating and making magnets. But I got some adhesive cartridges that say they are for the 510, and they fit in the 503 and seem to work fine. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong there.

I haven't used the 503 a lot yet, but I couldn't pass up the price!

Has anyone else gotten the 503 and put adhesive in it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

cassandra, i didn't even know they made a 503! i've heard people talk about having a 505 but i've not seen any of those for sale. but i know there are smaller versions than the 150 but you can't get them everywhere (lss tried to get smaller ones and that is the smallest she could find).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I have three Xyrons and use them all.

I have the small orange plastic X. That's great for small items that I want to use for embellishments.

I have the 500 series and love that one for card fronts, etc.

Then I have the large 900. That's great for large items. I can mount an 8x10 with that beauty.

But I would say that I use my 500 the most.

HTH,
NY Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 03:40 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Get the 500 - That is the one I have and I bought it one week when Micheals had a 50% off coupon and I thought will darn I wasted money...

OOOOOOO NOOOOOOO I did not....

I love that thing. It is great when you are trying to attach smaller items like squares and such. If you do the glass marble magnets just run your stamped circles thru them and peel and stick...

and for attaching glitter don't even get me started....I have this one card in my gallery where I ran the black part thru the xyron - put the pink part on top and then added dazzeling diamonds to the remaning sticky part - the scan doesn't do the card justice

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I also have another one I am adding today that is a shaker card I put the frame thru the xyron and them sprinkled it with glitter - OMG it is beautiful....

I would get the 500 over the 250 because you can put a cardfront thru it - I dont' do that to often but I have done it on occasion where I might emboss (and for some reason my paper gets a little wavy- to make sure it sticks I run the front thru a xyron...

My roll of adhesive seems to last me pretty long - I use it alot when I am matting squares and whatnot and I can usually run 2-3 squares (depending on size) side by side.

I usually make sure I have a back-up roll of adhsive at all times so as soon as I replace a cartidge I use my next 40% coupon to buy another refill...(also from time to time Micheals have refills for 40% off)

If you want to be able to laminate or magnitize then the 510 is for you...

hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 03:56 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't know if this will help you, but Joann's has a deal where you buy 2 xyron machines and save 10%. I am not sure if it is only an "online" deal, but I will try to attach a link.

http://www.joann.com/shop/product_gr...ron%20machines

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 04:58 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love the "X" for beading!
THose micro beads stick and look wonderful!
And it's a "WOW" in a class.
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 05:04 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default xyron

I have the little 150 and love it so much I have ordered the 510. I ordered this one because I thought it gave me the most choices for a very good price. I can't wait to try the magnetic roll. I think this will be so cool.
SCS member #9233/ SU Demo
My Wee Blog: kats' kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 05:23 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the 900 that I originally purchased for laminating my daughter's artwork. I haven't used it for card-making at all yet, but I've stamped and made magnets and used the sticky for making address and other labels, too. I used to stickerize (look! a new word!) cheap scrapbook paper and stick it to black composition notebooks and gift them as journals.

I chose the 900 because I would be able to laminate standard size paper. I bought mine at stickermaker.com and they usually have great deals and free shipping - shipping took 2 days for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Ok not to steal the thread but I have a 510 I think it is and used it once. Doesn't it waist the adhesive if you put thru something small? I just can't figure it out. I tried to laminate something and to me it was very loose and didn't laminate tight. I am probably doing something wrong.??

The reason I got this was I heard it was great for QK alphabets and CD's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I have...umm...well...uh....the 150, 250 and 510! Bought all three at the same time when JoAnn.com had the deal on buying 2+ xyron machines. Also, if you get on the JoAnn email list, you'll get free shipping and other offers pretty regularly. I bought the three sizes so I wouldn't waste adhesive...I can use the small one for small pieces and the larger ones for larger pieces. I, too, try to run more than one thing through at a time (side-to-side). My favorite way to use my xyron so far is for ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the 150 and the 500 and love them both for separate reasons! The little one for the small tasks and the bigger one for the larger items. I did my wedding scrapbook/album with them. I try to plan as many items as possible when using the 500. I wouldn't trade either one of them! Granted, I may not use them everyday, but when I do, I LOVE them!

I'd go for it and try one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At work yesterday I was talking to my hair client that scrapbooks, and she just bought her first Sizzix and I asked if she had the Xyron, and she said "Whats that?" :shock: So I informes her that she absolutely needed one, since she was saying how expensive these double sided clear glittered stickers are, and I told her she could make her own! Just take the clear stickers she has, run them face down thru the Xyron, sprinkle glitter on the fronts(now sticky) then peel off the backing and adhere them on!! She was pretty excited!! Too bad demos dont sell the Xyron!!
I want to try some of those stickers myself!! I was just guessing how to do them!!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both the little X for very small things & the 510. I chose the 510 because you can do other things than just adhesive. I haven't yet, but if I figured that if I was going to invest, then that would be the smart thing to do. And I love it. I use it whenever I want to attach something really well. And you can stamp an image on acetate, run it through the zyron, turn it over and using a paint brush, color in the image with pearl ex or just pounce pearl ex all over the back. Here is a card where I filled in the image then attached to black cardstock. It is so striking in person.

I did another where I pounced pearl ex all over the back and it was beautiful. Unfortunatly I gave it away before I could take a picture.

And like jenmouer said, don't even get me started on glitter!!!

They are great and have limitless possibilities.
Hope this helps your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

OMG!!!
dep in WI just posted a card using the acetate method that I was telling you about earlier. It is gorgeous. Go look.

She did a great job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I have the little "X" that I've used infrequently (magnets with flat glass marbles were too heavy to hold--the layers slid apart), but I'm glad to have, because it lets me try stuff out (hmm, window sheets and pearlex. . . ), but also partly because I didn't pay too much for it. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive 500 series, having missed the Office Depot special (our local stores sent them back rather than but them on clearance), and because I want to do some of the super cool notebook covers.

On the other hand, the xyrons appeared frequently enough on the recent thread about wasting money (sorry, I don't know have that thread handy right now), that it might give you some additional pause.

Sometimes I don't know if I'm going to enjoy doing something until I try it (love embossing; hate cutting things out by hand), and it's great to try something before investing precious craft dollars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

i got the xyron 900 for a really good deal (just under $80 i think, free shipping, 3 cartridges of my choice and they offered stretch pay!). the deal i got isn't currently on there but they have a pretty good deal on the 510 for anyone that may be looking. no clue if it is the best deal out there right now since i've not been looking, but it's a start at least

http://shopathometv.com/shopathome/n...&catOID=-28407

you get the 510, a permanent cartridge, a 2 sided lamination cartridge plus the 150 (orange x sticker maker) with a permanent cartridge for 39.99 (stretch pay available) and 5.99 s&h.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 12:34 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a 505 but I don't think I am using it correctly---I waste a lot of adhesive & the items I run through it are often twisted and wrinkled...what are the tips for getting it to work correctly & efficiently?
Reply With Quote Likes