Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU! Watercolor Pencils vs Prismacolor?

I really love to watercolor. I must admit I have been using Crayola pack of 8 until I decided yes, I do like this technique ansd will do it regularly. Now I am ready to go ahead and buy -- but which do I get? SU Watercolor Pencils although there are only 24? Or Prismacolors? I have seen so many posts about Prismacolor Pencils. Which do you recommend?
thanks

julia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default prisma vs su watercolor

The 2 different pencils will give you different results. I just got my prismacolor 120 set and LOVE them! The lead is so nice and smooth and I am going today to get my stumps and gamsol. This will offer more of a watercolor look with more intensity. The results are beautiful. The prismacolor also is much more varied so many different shades of brown and grey, etc. I do think prisma is the way to go. You do not have to do the gamsol either - just the color itself is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: SU! Watercolor Pencils vs Prismacolor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia_s
I really love to watercolor. I must admit I have been using Crayola pack of 8 until I decided yes, I do like this technique ansd will do it regularly. Now I am ready to go ahead and buy -- but which do I get? SU Watercolor Pencils although there are only 24? Or Prismacolors? I have seen so many posts about Prismacolor Pencils. Which do you recommend?
thanks

julia
It really depends on the result you're going for. Prismacolor pencils CANNOT be blended with water. The odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol is just a brand name -- check the label to see if it says "100% OSM) will blend the colors to look sort of like paint, and they will be much bolder and richer.

Prismacolors do come in a watercolor version as well, but they are a bit pricey since these are artist-quality pencils.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:07 AM   #4  
mothermcbride

I don't have the SU watercolors but I do have the Prismacolor watercolors and I love them. I have a few of the regular Prismacolors and I do like them as well. The watercolors work really well with the aquapainter. And, they have a colorless blender that works with both types of Prismacolor pencils. I have several brands of watercolor pencils and I like the Prismacolor the best.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Maybe I'm not getting the say effect but I take my aquapainter and dab it on my ink pad and watercolor my card that way. It's not as bold as you may like but perhaps if you do it once, then let it dry and go over it again the color might be more vivid. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

The different pencils are definitely different effects. Watercolor pencils give you a washed look. The prisma pencils give you an intense color. It really depends on the look you are going for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both and perfer the Prisma Colors. They have more of a variety. I was surprised that w/ the SU watercolor pencils, most of the greens look alike. This was a big deal for me because I use a lot of greens for the leaves, stems, etc., and like them to look real. Also, they only have 2 blues. Just my opinion!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have both, and you are right, it is all in the look you desire at the time. Water colors are much more muted and watered down, where the Prisma is so much more bright and vibrant. I love my prisma colors and now with the price as cheap as you can get at $36 plus tax for 120 pencils is the best bargain you could ever have. Still have enough for the watercolor pencils. In fact, I just received my $25 rebate for the Prisma and went out with that and purchased thier Prismacolor watercolor pencils, 24 for $21 at STaples now I have 2 nice sets for a total of $36.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I have the SU watercolor pencils and they are nice but I have been a little dissapointed with the colors. They dont match the SU papers and inks very well. I allways end up trying to color one color over the other to get the ride shade and it is a pain. I think as soon as I have some more money I will get the Prismas. I wish I had thought to ask someones opinion here first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Keep in mind there are two types of Prisma colored pencils....watercolor and regular colored pencils....SU has a watercolor set and pure color set..
I like both kinds of Prisma colored pencils ...water color and regular colored pencils.....you all are right you do get different effects with the two kinds of pencils.....I think the questions are which kind of pencils do you prefer? ...and which brand of pencils do you prefer....I know you can buy individual Prisma colored pencils (nonwatercolor) at Michaels, if you want to try out a couple.. a local art supply store may offer individual water color...I know the one in St. Louis does...but Prisma color does offer you a larger selection of colors..and they are just better than what SU offers..Prisma also has color sticks that are like huge (well not really huge)woodless pencils, if you want to put down a lot of color over a large area...I'm not sure you'd need it for card making...but who knows what kind of projects you can get involved in!! And Prisma has markers, too...double ended....but I like the SU markers better for card making and scrapping. Prisma markers are ok for other stuff....but great color selection. Oh...and Prisma has a set called Verithin...they have very thin lead in the pencils..they're nice for detail work. Have fun selecting your pencils!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Default Prismacolor or....

I also have both the 120 set of Prismacolor, and the SU watercolor pencils. I use my Prismacolor for the mineral spirits technique, and for regular colored pencil coloring. The SU watercolor pencils are fine, BUT there just aren't that many color choices. I agree that the greens are way too similar, and there's just not enough choices of the colors! I have Faber Castell's set of 60 watercolor pencils, and they are very nice (made in Germany)...I have heard NOT to get the Derwent brand; but Prismacolor or F.C. I believe would be good choices. Again, it depends on whether you just want to use water, or the Gamsol....
Good luck deciding! Viking does have some great prices on their pencils, and I also use www.jerrysartarama.com as well.
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 04:38 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much everyone!! I didn't know you get Prismas at Staples!! My hubby and kids are headed to Michael's so the kids (7, 4) can pick out something for my birthday today (the kids just can't get excited about SU gift certificates yet, they want something they can hold and wrap--but my wonderful hubby already took care of that :lol: ) I thnk I will steer them to Staples instead!!
thanks again!

julia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I love to watercolor on my cards but am finding to match SU cardstock and accessories I have been using my aqua painter and depending on the color intensity I want, I use either my ink pads for less color or the markers smeared on something plastic for more intense color. I'm surprised at the difference in the two.
Beth
P.S. I do have the Prism and watercolor pencils but just use SU's inks and markers now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 05:37 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both and love them both...depending on what I'm doing!

Julie C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 05:48 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

have heard NOT to get the Derwent brand
I am just curious as to why. This is the brand I currently have...only have a set of 12 but they seem to work ok for me. But then again I am a horrible colorer (if that's a word)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 06:18 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

I have the SU watercolor pencils and love them...I fell in love with this product at a stamp camp last Feb. and had to have it....I still love them one yr. later.

Haven't tried prisma. but I did buy a set from a local store for my mom and was not impressed with them, I am sold on SU pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Default watercolor

I do not know why the Derwent are not recommended, I just remember reading it somewhere! And you know how we are influenced by what we read!! :!: If they are working for you, then that's great! I do not have first hand experience with them... :oops:
Hey, let's get off the computer and go color!!
Have a great Saturday...
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #18  
mothermcbride

Just as an FYI, I believe someone posted that the Derwent leads were too hard or had hard spots or something like that. I have a few of the Derwent pencils and the leads are not as soft as the Prismacolor watercolors and I haven't worked with them much. The Prismacolor leads are just so smooth.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:52 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaisleyPrincess
Quote:

have heard NOT to get the Derwent brand
I am just curious as to why. This is the brand I currently have...only have a set of 12 but they seem to work ok for me. But then again I am a horrible colorer (if that's a word)
Hi Paisley,
I've been teaching art for many years and have learned that it can make all the difference in the world what tools you use. Of course, some tools are the same expensive or not, but others can make or break your work regardless of your skill. You might want to try the Prisma at a store or just pick up a color that you like and try it out at home in peace. That way you can make your own mind up if it's worth the change or not. Derwnent's ok...but I can bet that once you try a Prisma you may decide to give the D's to your kids. And with the codes for Viking.com you can get them at a very nice deal.
But Paisley....if you ever said you were a bad colorer in my class I would hit you over the head with whatever pencil might be in my hand. Artists are their own worst critics.

Have fun!
Kat
Reply With Quote Likes