Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOODEN MOUNTS OR ACRYLIC

This email has reached you in a desperate plea. Will you please read the following and give my your opinion?

My husband and I are pondering whether or not to invest in a business the produces wooden stamps. I am not a stamper but I am a scrapbooker ( I owned my own store for a couple years) so I understand the beautiful things these stamps can create. There is one key question that I have prior to investing in this business for a fairly large amount of money. I am well aware of the acrylic stamps that are up and coming on the market. I am aware that these acrylic stamps can be mounted with different stamps and in doing so can save space for your wonderful collection of stamps. What I am a bit hesitant about is the future of WOODEN stamps. I will only be manufacturing the WOOD BLOCKS and then sending them to another company that applies the rubber mount and detailed picture on the front. The business we are looking at mass produces the wooden blocks ONLY. This is why I am concerned as to the potential decrease in production of WOOD STAMPS now that acrylic are on the market. Our tools that we would purchase cannot form the acrylic base. !Do you think they will last, or do you think they are on their way out? Which would you prefer...acrylic or wood? Would you buy into a business, at this point in the WOODEN STAMP industry, or are we CRAZY! Please let me know. I am desperate for your input.

Please take a moment to email me personally to give me insight into the future of this prospective business. Thanks so much!

Please email at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Angela Magnuson
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you want us to email you personally, but I have chosen to reply in the forum because I am very interested in reading discussion about this. Personally, I love the feel of the wood in my hand, the convenience of not having to stick a dye on an acrylic block, and just the overall esthetic of the wood. That being said, I have never used acrylic mounts. I like the concept of storing the dyes in a much smaller space.

What does everyone think?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I would definitely invest. I will never go acrylic. Too much hassle, too easy for a person like me to lose one stamp out of a set when sets are unmounted. SU has also said acrylic is a passing fad and they will stick with wood. I would definitely invest in the company and equipment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Default Wood VERSUS Acrylic

Thanks so much! We are talking thousands of dollars, and this is a HUGE decision for us. We are having the final meeting with the current owner today, then off to the bank for financing.

Thanks Again, anymore replies would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Another thought I had ~ wood will always be around in some form, the more technoligical we get, the greater need to have wood in any form. Okay, that's the nature lover in me, but I still think wood will never be replaced by acrylics. The duribility of rubber and wood is long proven. The (lack of) duribility of the polymer used to make the acrylic sets has also been proven ~ it yellows and then turns hard. Look areound Mike's and you will see, wood and rubber is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I just unmounted all of my sets and am going acrylic. After seeing how much space I was saving with the acrylix I decided to go acrylic. The space saving is awesome. being able to do collage sort of things with the stamps on one block is kind of neat.
The only drawback? I'm afraid of losing some of my smaller stamps. Words espcially worry me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I cannot imagine wood mounts ever "going out of style". I do buy unmounted stamps and use the static backing and acrylic blocks. However, it is just because some companies do not sell their stamps mounted. It is the best solution for me rather than mounting them on wooden blocks. Plus, it saves space. You could sell both wood mounted and unmounted stamps (with a link to a company that sells the acrylic blocks). The people who like the acrylics could mount their own stamps. I do.

Speaking for myself, I love the look of a stamp that is already mounted with the image on the block. There is something to be said for racing home with my purchases and going straight to work on a card with my new found treasure. I wish you success on your new adventure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I know my preference is for wood mounted stamps. I'm guessing you will find that most of us on this site have that preference because we love Stampin' Up (which is wood mounted).

Just a suggestion - You might also want to post this message on the stamping board at Two Peas in a Bucket. Although, this board is the BEST, you might find more diversity in products used by the individuals over on that board.

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.a...st&forum_id=22

Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I have used both and by far prefer the wood. The unmounted stamps I own by and large sit unused because of the hassel of sticking the stamp on a block each time I want to use it. I also hate that usually the stamp is not really the same size as the mount. Smallish stamps, if they are not small ENOUGH to fit the real small acrylic blocks, are dwarfed on the mount, which I find to be very uncomfortable for stamping.
Also, wood mounted stamps are just way more esthetically pleasing.

Good luck with your venture!

Claudia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

WOW! I am so glad I posted to you guys. I am meeting at 4:00 with the current owner and that is only 4 hours away. I am feeling more and more confident in this investment as each reply is posted. I will inform my husband of all the positive statements. Keep them coming. BOTH SIDES!

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I have used both but LOVE the unmounted for versatility and for space! I can see where some might lose a stamp but I am very careful to put up each stamp after I use it anyway...which creates a space problem if I have out several wood mount sets at a time :( I am in the process of converting all of my wood mount to acrylic...could take a while but think it will be worth it for space and multiple use times.

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Wood Mounts

Even though I'm an SU Demonstrator, I love wood mounted stamps! I know the acrylic stamps save space, but I know I'd lose stuff. Plus, I love that my stamps are always mounted and ready to go. They're also easier to clean. I agree with the earlier comments. Acrylic might be the new thing, but wood will never go out of style.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Angela,

Another vote for WOOD mounted here ... I love them. I love being able to just grab a stamp and create ... without searching for the right size acrylic block. While I do own a good number of unmounted stamps, I don't use them very often because they aren't "grab and stamp" like the wood mounted ones.

Good luck today with your meetings ... and in your new venture!

Happy Holidays,
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default NEW CONCERN, ANY INPUT?

I just received an email in response to my plea about the "market of the stamping industry". She wrote the following:

I think your real issue should be the state of the industry at this time....slow, VERY SLOW. And there are several wonderful folks who are making the wood mounts now that have been making them for a very long time and are having rough times right now. All things cycle and I'm sure this will too. But how long will that take? All small businesses are having a tough time right now, but if you have the kind of cash flow that can take that chance...good luck!

Any replies to this? I hope it alright to post these sort of concerns here. I had heard all you people are the EXPERTS!

Thanks for the input in advance!

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I have never used acrylics and don't have the desire to try them. To me, the look and feel of the stamp is almost as important as the resulting image. Just like how every hobbyist loves to have the best (and best looking) tools to do their project, that's how I feel about having wood mount stamps.

I can't say whether or not wood will be in or out in the future, but I can say that I will buy wood before acrylic any day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 10:40 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I will NEVER invest in acrylic stamps. Wood has been around for years... and there is a reason. Its best.

They are not going away. I think there will be people who like the acrylic, but believe me, I think there is a larger group that will always do wood.

If SU ever goes ALL acrylic, I'd quit SU. (A choice would be ok, though...)
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Angela, I find that person's comment interesting that the industry is "very slow". I know Stampin' Up is having record sales. I also know that the scrapbooking industry is booming. Now Stampin' Up is a home based demonstrator business, which is different than you are talking about starting; so maybe that's the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #18  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Default Re: NEW CONCERN, ANY INPUT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellaspirit
I think your real issue should be the state of the industry at this time....slow, VERY SLOW. All small businesses are having a tough time right now!
Angela - I have a friend with a scrapbooking store and she tells me that business is WAY down from last year. She's attributing some of it to the hurricane madness (we're in Florida), but the industry is down across the nation as well.

Stamping? I can't tell you, but I would think it could be similar to the scrapbooking business.

I know I'm spending more now on stamps than in the past however And, I'm a wood-mount girl!
Old 12-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Another wood mounted lover here. I don't think that you will ever have to worry that wood mounted stamps are going to be "old news." Personally if they did, I don't think I'd enjoy stamping as much. Good Luck!

Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Default Re: NEW CONCERN, ANY INPUT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellaspirit
I think your real issue should be the state of the industry at this time....slow, VERY SLOW.
I'm really surprised at that. I thought my stampaholism was supporting the industry all by itself. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

I know that at the stamp store in town, their business is down, but that's solely because of the large number of SU demos in the area. I think the business is on the upswing, not the down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 02:49 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I think that the stamping industry will be picking up soley on the fact the the scrapbooking industry has moved away from paper and stickers to more of an "art form" using stamps and fibers and such. I think this may be the time to get into the stamping wholesale industry. I think we are going for it. Now we just have to see what the bank will say. Keep the responses coming! I have appreciated every word of advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Angela~

I think the majority of members of SCS are associated with SU! some how or another so I could see how their vote would be for wood mount.

Me, myself, would never go back to using woods mounts again for several reasons the primary one be space/storage. I only wish I had made the conversion sooner.

This topic has been brought up before a couple of time so I’ve included links to the threads for you.

Good luck…

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default wood vs acrylic

I am not a demo, just addicted to stamping. I use both wood mounted and acrylic handles for my unmounted stamps. I have been buying a lot of unmounted lately due to storage issues. I use CD cases to store them and haven't lost any stamps from my UM sets. If you clean them and place them back in the CD case, just like you would a SU case, you don't loose them. I also find cleaning the UM stamps easier as you can run them under water to rinse them.

Cost is also a big issue. I just bought a 4 piece UM set on ebay for $3.99 and the comparable SU wood mounted set costs $11.95
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #25  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default I

I don't like to say never, but I don't see myslef buying acrylic. I like to have all my stamps ready to go and would not like to go through the hassle of putting on, taking off, putting on, taking off.... UGH

All wood for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #26  
One TOT Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacramentostamper
Hi Angela~

I think the majority of members of SCS are associated with SU! some how or another so I could see how their vote would be for wood mount.

Thanks for the links! I have been interested in the whole acrylic vs. rubber thing and never knew that unmounted rubber on an acrylic block was an option. I have a good friend that became a demo. of a non-SU company and introduced me to the acrylix. I am a SU demo - but a stamper first and will stamp with what I like and not worry about the brand. I ordered a ton of acrylix and I am still smitten with the alphabets, but....I think the real issue with acrylic stamps (not mounts, stamps) is not storage, or keeping track, or mounting and unmounting it is the quality of the stamped image. After using them quite a bit and hoping that it would get better....I found that they just do not stamp a crisp image b/c they are so plyable. I am so glad that you listed those links b/c it give the unmounted option with the rubber stamp. Thanks again! I also think that is a great thing for SU demos to be aware of...I know a TON of people perking up to the ease of storage with acrylix. I think it is good to bring that option to our SU customers. Even though we do not sell the acrylic blocks, those are avail. at local scrapbooking stores. My customers that are worried about space will love to know the option of having the crisp rubber image of the great sets SU offers with the option to unmount on their own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I vote for wood - I tried acrylic but am not happy with the stamped image quality and the mounting/unmounting. However, space is not such a premium for me. Wood mounted is just prettier and easier to grab and use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I want to add my 2 cents....I just added unmounteds with EZ mount and acrylic blocks to my collection of wood mounted stamps, and I adore them. I love storing them in notebooks. I have yet to unmount some of my SU stamps, but that is only because I do not have enough EZ mount. I only plan to unmount my most used SU stamps, because I figure the others I will eventually sell, and I suspect that unmounting them will seriously decrease their value. I think acrylic blocks are awesome with rubber stamps, but I'm not a fan of acrylic stamps themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good for you Sonya!

What convinced you? Was it the 3-page discussion we had about this a few months back?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:51 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I have several beaUtiful sets - OK ALOT of clear acrylic mount Anna Griffin stamps - have you seen them? very cool

WHY do I hardly EVER use them? they just lay in the cold dark drawer on their plastic sheets waiting, & waiting but I won't take them out to play

(I think they need to be wood mounted -Then I will use them more)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I know your meeting has come and gone, but there are a couple of things more to consider:

Acrylics are not new. They have been around a long time, they have just been talked about a lot more since CTMH started an acrylics line. This isn't something that has suddenly come up and is sweeping the world.

There will always be acrylics people, and wood people. Sure, you get a few converts here and there, but it appears that by and large it is either a love-it or leave-it attitude toward the unmounted approach.

As for stamp sales being slow, well, I agree that you should post on boards where there is more diversity for a more varied opinion, being that this board is populated by an overwhelming majority of SU demos and customers and we have our POV from a SU perspective.

From SU's standpoint, business has never been better. Even with all the shipping issues, there business in November was up 11% from the same time last year, which is phenomenal. Perhaps others in the industry aren't faring so well, but with that kind of growth, I am sure other companies are seeing growth as well.

As the wife of a small business owner, I truly empathize with your situation. Running your own business has some unique challenges and stresses (as well as benefits) and it isn't for everyone. Good luck with your decision making process!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacramentostamper
Good for you Sonya!

What convinced you? Was it the 3-page discussion we had about this a few months back?
That had a lot to do with it! In combination with my good friend having the EZ mount system. She also helped convince me! It helps that Sunday Int gives SU demos a discount too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 06:44 AM   #33  

Default Acrylic blocks

Okay I'll post here. I'm a demo for THe Angel Company. We sell our stamps mounted or un-mounted. In the 2 1/2 years I have been a demo I've only sold 2 sets on wood. We have a CTMH demo here and a couple of SU demo's. We all buy from each other. When they buy from me they but UM's when I buy from them I un-mount the stamps. After my hubby getts home this afternoon I'll take a picture of my stamp storage and upload it. I love stamps ALL stamps I buy from every where but Ialways un-mount. Most of the ladies in this area also un-mount theirs. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my SU stamps. I just like them with out wood way better. I can see where I'm stamping. I can over stamp knowing I'm going to re-stamp right where I was before. Any way to each his own. But you wood lovers should try acrylic blocks with and open mind and see if it might be an option for your retired sets. Have a Vey merry Christmas everyone.
In Him,
Shawna

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #34  

Default Acrylic

That had a lot to do with it! In combination with my good friend having the EZ mount system. She also helped convince me! It helps that Sunday Int gives SU demos a discount too![/quote]

Sunday Int gives all demos a discount !!!! Isn't that great !!!!
In Him,
Shawna

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Default Re: Acrylic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawna
That had a lot to do with it! In combination with my good friend having the EZ mount system. She also helped convince me! It helps that Sunday Int gives SU demos a discount too!
In Him,
Shawna[/quote]

I know! Wish I had known this before I bought the discount card! Makes me wonder where else I can place wholesale orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 08:43 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Default Re: Acrylic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawna
In Him,
Shawna[/quote]

Sorry Shawna, I was not thinking of other demos! :oops: Yes, they give demonstrator AND TEACHER discounts!!!! If you are not a demo, but you are a teacher, you can still get a discount! I believe it's 25% off. And they have fantastic deals that are available only to us, like a couple of months ago they had the EZ mount start up kit (ez mount, storage boards, acrylic blocks and Kai scissors) for only $11.00!!!! It's definitely an incentive to just try it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Default REGARDING WOOD OR ARCRYLIC

I HAVE BEEN STAMPING WITH SU FOR 4 YEARS AND I HAVE TO SAY I DO LOVE SU BUT I RECENTLY SIGNED UP WITH CTMH(ARCYLIC) AND THERE REALLY IS NOTHING BETTER THAN THESE STAMP SETS. NOT ONLY DO YOU SAVE ON SPACE BUT THE WHOLE FACT THAT YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THE STAMP TO GET A PERFECT IMAGE IS AMAZING AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE LETTER SETS. THEY REALLY ARE THE BEST HAVING 2 OR 3 OF EACH LETTER SO YOU CAN SPELL OUT THE WORD (LIKE HAPPY) AND FOR ONCE ACTUALLY MAKE IT STRAIGHT, WELL NEED I SAY MORE. I HAVE DEFINITLY SWITCHED TO THE ARCYRLIC SETS. LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #38  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI typing in all caps is like YELLING in a post.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both. I love the acrylic especially for words and they are much more affordable. For example with TAC stamps , an unmounted set is about 1/2 the cost of a wood mounted set. I would rather get more for my money and be able to buy twice as many stamps . Also they are much easier to store. If I want to take my stamps to a crop the acrylic are easier to transport. I was very hesitant to use then at first. Now I absolutely love them. They are very easy to use. It is hard to change. Don't get me wrong I also love my wooden stamps but I would be much happier if stampin up gave both options the way other companies do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

I'd be happier if stampin up at least offered us the option of unmounted rubber. I would like to go unmounted. For me, storage is a bit issue, but cost is the main issue. I would love to be able to buy all of the sets that I like in the catalog. TAC has whole alphabets, upper and lower and numbers, for 20 dollars! That's incredible! As opposed to 75 dollars!

I won't leave stampin up because their art work is superior to all that I have seen anywhere, bar none. And I've done a lot of looking lately. I love their sets, I love their paper, I love their stamp pads (even the craft ones). But I want an unmounted choice that will allow me to save on money.

For a while I agonized over the fact that the EZ mount might wear out. But then I realized that I could just buy more EZ mount and remount the stamp. EZ mount is cheap. And I've had the adhesive give out on wood mounted stamps before. I just reamounted them...

And there is a tiny environmentalist in me that is thinking "Is this really the best use of wood?" Don't get me wrong. If wood is truly needed, as in building a house, I am all for it. And I love wood furniture. But do we really need the wood to mount our stamps on?
Reply With Quote Likes