Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2005, 10:03 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any SU demos....

Are there any SU Demos in Korea? My demo told me that selling overseas is contingent on permission from the current base commander. I know there are demos in Germany. How about Korea? I figure there probably won't be a Michaels or HL right down the road in Korea, so it might be worth my effort to become a demo.

Anybody know? :P

TIA, Dawn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

bump!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Group Leader

I know there are demos in Japan and I would say to go for it! You wouldn't really lose even if you couldn't sell it on base because the kit is a great value...hope someone speaks up here for you...I'll ask my friend in Japan because she works with many Koreans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

My DH was stationed at Osan AB Korea and I went with him for part of the time. I knew 2 or 3 demos on that base, I don't know about the other bases. But yes, there is not much to do there as far as crafting and they do have some awesome markets where you can get some crafting supplies but they are in Seoul and you have to have someone show you how to get there. I never saw any rubber stamps for sale there but loved buying handmade papers.

It is not that big of a deal to have the commander sign your letter, just a formality. And with it being such a small community of Americans, I think the other ladies are up for a get together any time. Also you pay the same shipping (10%) and you have no sales tax on your orders there.

Hope that helps some,
Marian
Proud AF Stampin' Wife
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

We would be at Yongsan, even though we are AF. It will be a two year tour. So... I am really debating about doing it. :?
My DD(11) and I just started stamping about 2 months ago and we so enjoy donig it together. :!: We have spent so much the last few months, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get much from the local economy in terms of craft supplies.

Thanks for your help.
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband has spent 2 years in Korea (broken up in to 1-year remotes at two different times). He never wanted to take me and the kids because he said there wasn't much to do although I would have loved to travel, but with his rank he wouldn't have been able to take us even if we really wanted to go.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that because there isn't a whole lot to do, I'd join so that you and your DD would have a hobby. And the minimums are easy to make. And getting the base commander to sign a letter is really no big deal. I did it at our last base and it wasn't difficult at all.

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Are you planning on signing up to be a demo, or just wanting to find one to buy from? If you're thinking about signing up - I say go for it!! If nothing else, you will be able to continue purchasing for yourself even if you don't sell to others. I have seen a couple of people on here from Korea - hang in there, you still may get a response. If they do allow it and if there aren't many/any demos there, hang on for a wild ride - I think you will be one very popular demonstrator!!!

If you have any questions about being an APO/FPO demo, please feel free to PM me.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default Luci in AZ

Korea is where I started stamping, I was active duty at Osan and my room mate had a embossing arts catalog, we ordered lots of stuff. Even tho I am not a demo, I would go for it--I know other spouses and probably even active duty women would enjoy this kind of stuff! I enjoyed my remote tour--did lots of shopping and took tours to see the country!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Hi Dawn,
My friends, friend,(LOL). is in Korea. She was a demo. SU waved her minimum requirement as long as she filled out some form and submitted it quarterly stating that she was still over seas.
Thought that might be something to look into to.
HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I signed up while living in Okinawa. Sales were great!! Everyone loves getting together and scrapbooking and stamping become very popular! I say do it! You don't have a sales minimum, either! But, you won't need it! You'll do great!
Pm me if you have any questions about the military questions. Kareninoki knows a lot too!
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I was just hoping for a Demo so I could stay connected. Although my demo here told me she qwould mail me anything I needed! :lol: But now, I am actually contimplating signing up! If the commander's approval letter is not going to be a big deal, then what do I have to lose? Anything?

Just Clay, Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Absolutely nothing!!! Once you are on APO status, if you never sell or buy another stamp the entire time you're in Korea, you're still an active demo when you move back to the states. If you only buy for yourself and don't sell to anyone - you're saving 20% by getting the instant income on your orders instead of paying someone else. If you do decide to try to sell and make a business out of it, no matter how big or small, you are now making 20% instant income on whatever they purchase, plus your extra percentage at the end of the month. This stuff sells itself over here - home parties are a BIG hit and stamp/scrap/craft stuff in particular is hard to come by unless you order offline or happen to have a "small" craft store on base. We have a very small store on the Air Force base here on Okinawa and the problem is it is not specific to one particular area of crafts - they have everything - which is great - but then you have very small departments for each different craft area.... I go there from time to time and rarely find anything - but I do a lot of online ordering as well as constantly ordering from SU!

If you have any other questions, let me know.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Also, one more thing - the APO form that you have to have filled out for SU! in order to get APO status - it does have to be redone once a year as long as you are out of the country. Not that big of a deal. SU! sends you reminders letting you know that it's time to "renew."

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm in Yongsan right now. I was a demo until I was accidentally dropped (long story) recently and my next door neighbor is a demo, too. PM me if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Funny... I was wonder if there was any craft or rubber stamp stores in Seoul. Sorry to change the subject but would anyone know of any places I can check out while I'm there on vacation?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks, Ladies- now I have more to think about! ( is that good or bad )

Just Clay, Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candykane
Also I say the best time to be a demo is overseas since you don't have minimums and you can buy anytime and get the discount too for yourself.
All right now I am really confused my Demo checked the online demo manual and this is what it said

Demonstrators qualify for Military Special Override (that's where you don't have a quarterly quota and retain your demonstratorship and can still do personal orders) Only status if:

1) They submit a Military Acknowledgement Form
AND

2) They have $3,000 in net personal sales within the 12-month period before going on Military Special Override Only status

So..... I won't have 12 months to make the 1,200$ limit. So how does it work then?

TIA, Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

*** Edited due to incorrect info ***

Here is what you want -
This policy describes the authorized selling area; how demonstrators in the military may participate in Stampin・Up!; and the rules regarding the two status levels that apply to military demonstrators.

Military Status for demonstrators who can conduct sales on base, or for demonstrators who cannot sell on the base and who do not qualify for the Military Special Override Only status described below.
OR
Military Special Override Only for demonstrators who cannot conduct sales on base and qualify for special overrides as described below.

You should qualify for the Military Status, and not have to worry about the Military Special Override Status. You may want to check with the housing office at Yongsan, they should be able to answer your questions about being able to sell and qualifying for Military Status. I am sending you more info in PM.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:17 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Karen! You have been a great help!

Just Clay, Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes