Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extras for becoming a demo

I know that I will become a demo sometime this year. Basically, I'm waiting for the new catalogue. My question is what, if anything, I can expect from either SU or my upline by way of "special" incentive for joining. In Jan and Feb, SU gave extra sets. I know of an upline who is now offering a free set of markers for joining (wow!). Can I negotiate some freebies, or what? Does SU offer anything special throughout the year? Thanks. Hope I don't sound too greedy, just looking for the best deal!

ps. maybe I shouldn't wait??!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SU! comes up with different promotions during the year. If you sign in March, you get Sincere Salutations free. We don't know what they will offer later, but new demos who sign in June usually get a case of the current catalogs and a case of the new ones when they come out - that's how it's been in the past. As for what different demos offer - that's completely up to them. Someone's giving a marker set? That's a BIG incentive, and one I'm personally not sure I could/would do. At certain points I have offered incentives but nothing that will "break the bank."

BLINGO
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #3  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Incentives

I have been with SU almost 2 years and January was the best ever incentive I've seen. I believe there are several months in the year that they don't do anything so March you are guaranteed a free stamp set which is a $20 value if you don't buy it half price this month.

I'm not sure if you can expect anything from your upline. I know a lot of demos do "extras" but SU feels like the kit itself is value enough. I used to mentor with a very successful person in SU and she did nothing. Her philosophy was that the kit was enough and that by offering additional incentives you are undermining the kit?

When I signed up, my upline gave me a stamp set which was very generous. But it wouldn't have made a difference as I would have signed up anyway. I have been offering all new recruits a personalized name stamp, but I believe I'm going to do away with that. Instead, I'm rewarding my downline for achievements such as Stampin Start, monthly sales and monthly recruiting.

When you become a demo you start looking at things very differently. For instance, if someone signs up and you give them a $30 stamp set and they get out in three months, you've lost out unless they sold at least $1000 and then you're going to break even. I definitely think it's smarter to reward your downline once they are in.

Good luck in your decisions and enjoy it as that is what it is all about!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Go for the markers! That is a far better deal than I have ever heard of from SU!...not that their deals are ever bad. I just have never heard of one that great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The markers are quite an incentive.

If I knew this upline and had a good relationship with her, I would jump at it. I would put more value on having an involved and available upline before any incentive, though.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Extras for becoming a demo

I think there is a lot more to selecting an upline than an initial incentive gift. IMHO you should be looking for someone that you feel compatible with and, personally, I think you should admire their work and feel you can learn from them. My upline was very patient with me as I drove her crazy with questions - I had never stamped before, knew nothing about it and owned nothing in the way of supplies. I could always count on her to encourage me and loan me anything I needed. We have become friends and colleagues - I know I can trust her. The other thing that is really important to me is that I know she is ethical and honest. And not everyone is, you know. Just my 2cents worth.

Darline in Nanaimo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That upline who is offering the markers is probably pushing for a promotion (which can be based on how many downline you have) or cruise "points". Some demos do that at certain points. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you need to look at what you want from an upline (beyond "deals") Do you like this person and feel she will be helpful to you? If you don't think you will particularly need much if anything from your upline, then go for the deals.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Re: Extras for becoming a demo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darline Woloshyn
I think there is a lot more to selecting an upline than an initial incentive gift. IMHO you should be looking for someone that you feel compatible with and, personally, I think you should admire their work and feel you can learn from them. My upline was very patient with me as I drove her crazy with questions - I had never stamped before, knew nothing about it and owned nothing in the way of supplies. I could always count on her to encourage me and loan me anything I needed. We have become friends and colleagues - I know I can trust her. The other thing that is really important to me is that I know she is ethical and honest. And not everyone is, you know. Just my 2cents worth.

Darline in Nanaimo
I'm not a demo (yet ) but I know a couple of ladies who ended up with uplines who weren't very helpful. Their business has suffered and in order to change uplines they have to basically quit and come back again. They even have to wait a while to reup. (Personally, I think that's a policy SU! needs to review). Make sure you listen to Darlene!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #9  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I wouldn't sign up for the incentives. I would sign up for the best that I could get in an upline. My upline didn't offer me anything, but the starter kit alone was such a good deal, how could you go wrong?? My upline does help me with any questions that I might have and I can borrow ANYTHING that I don't have and need from her. I am pretty sure she don't have any downline meetings but I can always count on her getting back to me when I have a problem or question.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Extras for becoming a demo

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimilou
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darline Woloshyn

Darline in Nanaimo
I'm not a demo (yet ) but I know a couple of ladies who ended up with uplines who weren't very helpful. Their business has suffered and in order to change uplines they have to basically quit and come back again. They even have to wait a while to reup. (Personally, I think that's a policy SU! needs to review). Make sure you listen to Darlene!
I could not agree more... I know I would have LOVED to spoil my recruits like that marker deal but I am just not financially able to do that yet...so I figure I will be the best support for them so that they in turn will be able to earn FAR more than the markers! It really is all about attitude when you go for the plunge...if you will NEED support choose your upline by making sure they will be there for you...if you don't think you will need them then don't worry about who you sign with! LOL Best of luck and may you get the GREATEST UPLINE there is!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm assuming this is just a color family of markers ($30 as opposed to $120 for the big set of 4. That's a good deal, but I would echo what everyone else says. And just remember, some day someone is going to be asking you for deals. What will you be prepared to do?

I don't offer anything for signing, but I do give my recruit something. I bought my last recruit her business cards. This is not something I tell them in advance. If someone wants to shop around, that is their choice, but I can tell you that I'm a very supportive upline and you can't put a price on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

At Leadership this year, we were specifically asked not to offer large incentives in order to get recruits. They said that this undermines the value of the kit (already at 40% off) and devalues the Stampin' Up! name and products. Not to mention that this is hardly fair for the local demonstrator. So let's not get into any extra's that we give our recruits. That should be between the local demonstrator and her recruit.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Wilson
At Leadership this year, we were specifically asked not to offer large incentives in order to get recruits. They said that this undermines the value of the kit (already at 40% off) and devalues the Stampin' Up! name and products. Not to mention that this is hardly fair for the local demonstrator. So let's not get into any extra's that we give our recruits. That should be between the local demonstrator and her recruit.
Hmmm yet another fabulous point!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not a demo either but seriously considering it. I have a couple of dilemmas though.

All the people that I know who stamp use my very good friend for their SU needs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find new stampers that might be outside of my circle of friends? I know its only $300 a quarter but I just don't want to be a failure.

Also, when you join do you have to purchase the kit? I have most of the stamping supplies already but of course would need the SU info.

I know uplines are important. I could join under my friend whose upline is another friend (I actually introduced the two of them). She is a great upline too I think but she is 3 hours away. I'm not sure I'd be able to get to any of her downline events. I met a nice gal here in my area who seems to really have her stuff together. Should I join with her and risk hurting my friends feelings? To top it off, my sister is an SU demo now too. I could think about joining under her but she is 8 hours away. Her upline is quite good too. Bottom line, is I probably should have ponied up and done 5 years ago when I introduced SU to my friends. I just didn't realize how much fun I'd have with it. I looked through CTMH catalog tonight and realized I am an SU snob.

Thanks for listening....any advice is appreciated although I know you are all going to say just do it already. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by csoule
I'm not a demo either but seriously considering it. I have a couple of dilemmas though.

All the people that I know who stamp use my very good friend for their SU needs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find new stampers that might be outside of my circle of friends? I know its only $300 a quarter but I just don't want to be a failure.

Also, when you join do you have to purchase the kit? I have most of the stamping supplies already but of course would need the SU info.
Yes, you do have to purchase the starter kit. A lot more comes in it than just stamps and pads though - you can always use extra cardstock, and if you don't like the suggested stamp sets, classic pad colors, wheel, cartridge color, etc., you can change them. You can change the wheel to whichever one you want, you can change the classic pads and cartridge colors (all except Basic Black - it comes no matter what) and you can choose stamp sets of equal or lesser value to the ones that are suggested. You are also getting all of your business supplies - catalogs, demo manual, customer order forms, hostess forms, etc. If you find that there are some things that you absolutely don't want/need - once you have them, I bet you can find someone who will either buy them or trade for them...

Although you don't want to take customers away from your friend - it may happen, and she may expect it - LOL, especially if you sign under her. One of my good customers just decided this weekend to sign up - I know that I now am losing her business, and also that of her best friend. I wouldn't expect otherwise - of course she will go to her friend instead of come to me. I'm not going to turn her away if she does decide to order from me, but I don't expect her to.

What about planning an open house announcing your new business once you get started? Do you have kids? Are they in school or involved in sports? Talk to the other "soccer moms," take some stuff with you while you're watching your child practice and stamp... you'd be surprised how many questions you will get from curious mothers....

Good luck with your decision!

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
I'm assuming this is just a color family of markers ($30 as opposed to $120 for the big set of 4. That's a good deal, but I would echo what everyone else says. And just remember, some day someone is going to be asking you for deals. What will you be prepared to do?

I don't offer anything for signing, but I do give my recruit something. I bought my last recruit her business cards. This is not something I tell them in advance. If someone wants to shop around, that is their choice, but I can tell you that I'm a very supportive upline and you can't put a price on that.
PERFECTLY stated above!! ...and my thoughts were the WHOLE set of 48 markers? She must be offering that for reasons other than to make money in her personal business. Buying a few sets of the entire marker collection for her new downline (who may not even stay in long enough to make her any money) would be a good downpayment on a cruise for herself/family!
~ Teresa ~ Member #4536
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:00 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

csoule, have you thought about asking your friends that stamp if they have friends new to SU! they could invite to an open house kinda thing or if they are willing to do a demo to it.? I know what you mean by all your friends buying from the gal who would be your upline. You don't want to "steal" her clients. That's the main thing that's held me up from joining. I'm still kicking it around because I know some gals who aren't really committed to a demo yet who would be potential customers. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes