Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I did a test...results are in!

Well, I did a test. I made two identical cards, one with monoadhesive and one with mono-multi. I made the cards a week ago and sat them on display in my stamp room. The monoadhesive card is falling apart. One piece actually fell off and was laying next to the card. The mono-multi card is still as tight as when I made it. I couldn't pry that baby apart if I tried.
So, mono-multi it is!

On another note, I just got back from a three day camping trip with my daughter and her 6th grade class at a camp in Wisconsin called Timber-Lee. It was an incredibile time and a great opportunity to bond with my daughter, her teachers and other parents who went along.

At first it sounded just aweful, but I thought, I have to go! Now, I can't wait until my 3rd grader hits 6th grade so we can go again! For those of you who PM'd me, (wow, so many!) yes, I will have a new entry on my blog plus more new samples very soon. Thanks for worrying about me...*sniff*.
LOL
Gina K.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that info, I was already a mono multi convert, but this just proves I was right to switch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I am usually a "make a card and send it" girl . . . but once not too long ago I was preparing cards for a swap and noticed the adhesive deterioration that was taking place. I used the mono multi and it fixed the problem. I love it, but so does my 4yo DD . . . so when I replenish my supply it will have to be out of sight for her.

Glad you are doing well Gina, can't wait to see new entries in your blog
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm still pretty new so I don't even know what mono-multi is, but I did figure out one summer day when the evening temps dipped too low, and the stamp room's window was open, that my cards came apart. I've also clothes-pinned cards to my bulletin board and have found that they come apart too easily, so now I use a lot of monoadhesive to keep anything put together or I've resorted to using glue dots! My guess is that the mono-multi is just a better, more expensive version - am I right? Sold in the same section? You know I have these 40% Jo-Ann coupons burning a hole in my purse!

"Life is full of gifts. Look for them."

I've made it to 50 cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #5  
Sassy Shani

I just ordered from a company online and paid only $2 per bottle. Needless to say, I ordered 25 bottles. Shipping was $7. WOOHOO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

You know I have seen similar threads to this about cards made with Mono falling apart. I use mono all the time and I have yet to have a card fall apart. The only thing that I can think of for my cards staying together is that I live in a part of the US where we don't have any usually high humidity or extreme cold or hot temp. changes. I live in Washington state but the humidity stays pretty even, even when it rains (which it does a lot.) It just amazes me that the Mono I love isn't holding for others. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshungria
I'm still pretty new so I don't even know what mono-multi is, but I did figure out one summer day when the evening temps dipped too low, and the stamp room's window was open, that my cards came apart. I've also clothes-pinned cards to my bulletin board and have found that they come apart too easily, so now I use a lot of monoadhesive to keep anything put together or I've resorted to using glue dots! My guess is that the mono-multi is just a better, more expensive version - am I right? Sold in the same section? You know I have these 40% Jo-Ann coupons burning a hole in my purse!
Personally, I believe that it is LESS expensive. You've got to try this stuff! TAC sells it, so do other on-line stores and even office supply and hobby stores. I know that my Meijer stores carries it. Its a liquid glue and you need very little for a tight hold. Takes a little getting used to, but once you've got a few applications under your belt, its as easy as pie and you'll love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Could someone tell me, can you heat set it to take apart? I send card fronts and they take them apart for the main image and mount them on a card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Here's the cheapest I've found for the Mono Multi. It's $1.99 per bottle and shipping is free over $25.00, not hard to hit when your stocking up.

Plus they have free shipping on anything over $25.00........yes, it was a GREAT find. scrapbookpal.com OH and they even ship within 1-3 days, I ordered on Sunday and it arrived Priority Mail on Wednesday. very cool

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshungria
I'm still pretty new so I don't even know what mono-multi is...My guess is that the mono-multi is just a better, more expensive version - am I right?
Mono-multi is actually a liquid white glue with a dual tipped applicator. There is a fine tip and a wide tip. Use the fine tip and make the thinnest line possible, back a short way from the edge of your pieces. You can wiggle the paper around to get the line-up perfect if you are quick, and then the glue sticks like the dickens! I recently switched over to it and I'm sold on it!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard about this glue on SCS and bought it. At first I hated it because I used too much. Theresa is correct (no surprise) -- use the thin applicator tip and don't use too much -- otherwise it oozes out the edges of your layers and makes a big mess!

for those of you who aren't sure what we are talking about it is Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue. It is a white bottle with green lettering and a green top and bottom. Don't get the blue and white bottle. It is a different product. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #12  
mothermcbride

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlee
You know I have seen similar threads to this about cards made with Mono falling apart. I use mono all the time and I have yet to have a card fall apart. The only thing that I can think of for my cards staying together is that I live in a part of the US where we don't have any usually high humidity or extreme cold or hot temp. changes. I live in Washington state but the humidity stays pretty even, even when it rains (which it does a lot.) It just amazes me that the Mono I love isn't holding for others. Go figure.
Charlee, I love it too. I don't really have problems but I use lots on cards. I run it down each side and then put come in the middle and on the card where I'm going to attach it as well. I don't mind the boogies on the side of the dispenser, rarely have any wasted swipes. It just works for me so I keep using it. If I'm doing lots of layers or heavy stuff, I use glue dots and Mono. I really hate change so perhaps I just make it work somehow. Now, I'm not opposed to changing if it stops working completely and thank everyone that posts alternatives, in case that sad day ever comes. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Funny you should bring this up since I just read a thread on the Scotch brand adhesive that many said was better than mono multi. I've always ordered mono adhesive....So I literally was standing in Michaels today with each in my hand trying to decide which to get. I decided to wait til tomorrow when I have a JOann's coupon that they will accept, and try the Scotch brand quick dry tacki adhesive
or the Mono Multi...
or the Scotch brand,
or the mono.... see my dilema.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers Here's the thread:

Meanwhile I bought something called "the craft collection Adhesive Power Bond. It's in the same snail-type container as mono adhesive but it's RED. In other words it's Super Sticky Strip in a mono dispenser!!!! It's really really great, never comes apart but is fairly expensive ($4.99). I save mine for using on heavy layers, chipboard, ribbons, etc.
It was on an endcap in Michaels! Has anyone else seen it?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Ooooh -- I'll have to check for this the next time I go to Mike's with a coupon in my fist! I love the Sticky Strip's grip! Is there a peel-off backing on this Power Bond stuff?

Most of the time, when I want a tape-type product that has ultra-hold capacity (and I don't need the long & narrow benefit of the Sticky Strip), I go with my trusty carpet tape from the hardware store. This stuff *holds* -- which can be a definite drawback if I hiccup when placing a layer... ;)

I've never been a fan of liquid glues, but am learning to love Mono Multi for its 'adjustment window' factor, as well as its staying power once it 'takes'. It's also wonderful for holding textured cardstocks together -- a problem with some tape-type products. Great topic -- I admit to being an Adhesive Nut!

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirus
Meanwhile I bought something called "the craft collection Adhesive Power Bond. It's in the same snail-type container as mono adhesive but it's RED. In other words it's Super Sticky Strip in a mono dispenser!!!! It's really really great, never comes apart but is fairly expensive ($4.99). I save mine for using on heavy layers, chipboard, ribbons, etc.
It was on an endcap in Michaels! Has anyone else seen it?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Does this buckle the paper? I've tried liquid glues before and they always buckle!! TIA!
Kati
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Timber-Lee sounds really familiar --where in Wisconsin is it??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Oh yes......you were talking about glue. LOL
I've used both the mono-multi (suggested by my idol Anna) & the Scotch (suggested by my idol Lana) & both work as well as the other. I get the Scotch at Target, in their scrapbooking section. I think I bought the Mono at Michael's. Love both of them, both of them hold really well (at least I think they do --if anyone has received a card from me that's falling apart I hope they would tell me!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for the great information Gina.
And ... I've heard FANTASTIC things about Timber-Lee camp. The activities and programs are supposed to be top-notch. I personally have not been there (I don't have kids) but I've heard from people who have been there and they RAVE about the place.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Ooooh, Timber-Lee!! I loved that place! I can't even count the number of times I went there for summer camp and youth group retreats when I was in junior high and high school. Glad you had a great weekend with your daughter, Gina!

And thanks for your research on the adhesive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

When you mention Scotch brand adhesive, do you mean the scotch scrapbooker glue (clear tube, purple top)....I bought it - they had a rebate at my Archivers so I got it free, and anyways, I took it to a crop. I thought it warped my paper (like folks complain about the other mono).....do I have the wrong thing?

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I even "sold" the green and white mono multi to a lady in Joann's today who was trying to decide among all the different ones available...whether she wanted my opinion or not, she got it! I love it and it has not warped any of my cardstock when I use it - just some thin lines do it- and it holds SO well!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the scotch (the little round bottles feel good in your hand!) and the mono multi, too. The small tip is excellent to go 'round the edges of your cardstock, and the hold is excellent! That stuff just won't budge when you use it! Anything flat, I pick up one of those, and then add dimension with glue dots or dimensionals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
Well, I did a test. I made two identical cards, one with monoadhesive and one with mono-multi. I made the cards a week ago and sat them on display in my stamp room. The monoadhesive card is falling apart. One piece actually fell off and was laying next to the card. The mono-multi card is still as tight as when I made it. I couldn't pry that baby apart if I tried.
So, mono-multi it is!

On another note, I just got back from a three day camping trip with my daughter and her 6th grade class at a camp in Wisconsin called Timber-Lee. It was an incredibile time and a great opportunity to bond with my daughter, her teachers and other parents who went along.

At first it sounded just aweful, but I thought, I have to go! Now, I can't wait until my 3rd grader hits 6th grade so we can go again! For those of you who PM'd me, (wow, so many!) yes, I will have a new entry on my blog plus more new samples very soon. Thanks for worrying about me...*sniff*.
LOL
Gina K.
Gina, is this the Tombow mono, or our Snail?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Camp Timber-Lee is in East Troy. Just west of Racine/Kenosha
http://www.timber-lee.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommy
Timber-Lee sounds really familiar --where in Wisconsin is it??
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Wisconsin People!
I just got home from Oconomowoc. We played music at a church event. Yes, Timber-Lee is in East Troy. Kinda' close to Whitewater. It was great! We did have a great time.

I see you all answered each other's qustions that I wasn't able to answer earlier. I love this place. Everyone helps each other and OMG, Jenn Balcer, what a gorgeous picture!!! You should be a model for sure!
Love you all!
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #26  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Man, I hate being a klutz. I hate liquid glue. I always manage to make a mess. I'm sad this stuff is liquid glue.

I don't trust the SNAIL unless it's just CS to CS and not too many layers or embellishments (i.e., weight). If there's any ribbon or brads or eyelets, I put some sticky strip on, I have glue dots; square things that come out of this purple applicator, other kinds of adhesive runners - yeah, a big variety. I just stay away from liquid glue, and I'm happy.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykat
Does this buckle the paper? I've tried liquid glues before and they always buckle!! TIA!
Kati

I am using mono multi all the time now - am on the second bottle and have done a lot of cards. I have not had any buckle - I used to use glue sticks and that was a big problem.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the info on the camp --I live about 10 minutes from East Troy (I live in Vernon, if you've ever heard of it, lol) & have kids!! Yay!!! Another place to put on my list to check out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll have to put myself in the same category as Stampin Wrose. I'm a klutz. I did buy and use the mono multi. I felt like a kid in school. I kept getting it on my hands and then I would accidently touch my card front and mess it up.:( :mad:
I also don't like the way the monoadhesive falls apart. I switch between using the Dotto and Scrapbook Adhesive. Lately any Michaels coupons I've gotten are used to buy these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommy
Thanks for the info on the camp --I live about 10 minutes from East Troy (I live in Vernon, if you've ever heard of it, lol) & have kids!! Yay!!! Another place to put on my list to check out.
Oh Michelle,
You would really enjoy it. They learn so much. They have everything from a leather shop where the kids get to make things to a science area where you catch bugs, pins them and identify them. They have tons of farm animals for the kids to interact with!

Also, great canoes and a clean lake and, in the winter a huge tobogan, sp?? and tubing hills. The food wasn't bad either.

Did I read that you live in Waukesha? One of the girls on my design team lives in Oconomowoc. That's pretty close too, huh?

I love that area. I was secretly wishing that my husband would have found a job in Milwaukee a few years ago when he was looking for a new opportunity. He found a great position in Madison so I shouldn't complain, but I love being near a bigger city. Mafair Mall rocks!
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I also hate liquid glue -- not because it does not work - I agree it holds like the dickens. But I am SUCH a klutz, and I always end up making a mess, get it on my fingers and then blop it somewhere else on project -- I really just can't use it effectively! I have switched to the Scotch ATG (a giant adhesive transfer gun - really sticks, cheaper adhesive than the mono runners) - I love it. I only use the multi for things that really NEED a liquid choice, and then I just have to be sure that I am really paying attention so that I don't screw up!!
Reply With Quote Likes