Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to have an upline to join the demo family???

Hello, ladies!!!
I'm saving to be an SU demo and I need to know if I can sign up myself without having an upline... The problem is I'm more experienced in stamping than my demo and I know that I can handle my business myself... Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for your input!!!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #2  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts
Default upline

I have heard of several people who became demonstrators without having an upline. You can get so much information through the website and, of course, HERE. I just signed on and am anxiously awaiting my kit.

Good luck with your business!

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

No, you do have to sign up under someone - but you can do your own thing - you don't have to go to their meetings, etc.

I will say that I like going to my upline's meetings b/c there is always a make and take idea that I can immediately use and I like the swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the exception of the very first initial SU! demonstrators ever (when the company was started over 15 years ago), I cannot see HOW there would be any way to sign up without an upline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:42 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My upline has been in the biz since the mid 1990s, but when she signed up, she just called SU and sent in her money for the kit.

She was just assigned an upline that she didn't know. However, that was along time ago and she didn't know anyone to sign up under because there were alot less demos out there, so It may be different now and they may tell you to find someone to sign up under. Even though she didn't have direct upline support, she has built her business on her own and is still at it! She knows all the ins and outs of SU.

So, you don't NEED to have an active upline to succeed. She did it on her own, so it IS possible. She's still at it and having a blast!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I would go to the SU website and see if there are other demos in your area that you would feel more comfortable signing under. My upline doesn't have meetings, give me any help, etc but had I signed up under her 3rd upline instead (who we both know anyway) I would have more access to meetings, business ideas and more info in general. Not that I'm complaining, I am doing ok on my own but it would have been nice to have the option.

You can ask the other demos in your area if they have monthly/quarterly meetings, swaps, website, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

She was just assigned an upline that she didn't know. However, that was along time ago and she didn't know anyone to sign up under because there were alot less demos out there, so It may be different now and they may tell you to find someone to sign up under.
I can see that happening back then!

I think, at this point, if someone didn't have an upline selected to sign up under, they would have one contact her? I just can't imagine them at this point in the company signing up someone without any upline at all in the picture, given the structure of the MLM of the company . . . it would cause a total uproar. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default shop around

I am pretty sure you have to have an upline. However, you already have the luxury of knowing what you want and how you want it. I say shop around. You don't have to sign up under your demo. Do a search for other demos in your area -- or not in your area. Find someone you think really can help and that you can learn something from. I think you're correct in wanting the person (or people) that are making money off of your hard work to be able to provide you with something in return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you don't need access to an upline's meetings near you ... sign up under someone here on SCS! I'm not naming any names (**JulieHRR**) but there are lots of people here (**Lana**) and there (**JanTink**) with great ideas ...

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When a potential customer or recruit calls SU, they have a referral system, probably the same as the "Find a Demonstrator" link on the website. Several years ago I got a call from SU with the name and phone number of a potential recruit. But I also recommend shopping around. It's nice to have a group that meets together or at least shares and swaps by mail/email. A top reason for my staying with Stampin' Up! for 6 years is the friendships I have made.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Default upline quesiton

I have an upline but no support so I'm not a happy camper in that regard. My point is that regardless of who you sign up with, you're on your own insofar as I'm concerned. I have my own downline and not really local either - we have swaps and our own yahoo group to discuss things.

If you don't want to sign up with your demonstrator for other reasons, then you could look locally for someody who'd be thrilled to have a recruit! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Siberian Stamper,
I'm in New England! I would love my FIRST recruit!
(Just kidding!) I would shop around for someone if SU! won't let you do it on your own.
When I signed up, I did it because of the product, not the demo. I signed with her because she was a friend of a friend and she was someone I knew I could sign up through. That's about as far as it goes. Basically everything I know is self taught or have learned from this wonderful site. Personally I don't think you HAVE to have an upline if you don't want to, but I'm not sure what SU! thinks?!
Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I could use a new recruit since I have none and would be a wonderful upline if I do say so myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Hey, I had her first! :lol:
(It seems so hard to get that first one, doesn't it?!)
Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Kim, I tried to come up with a smarty pants, funny remark but my humor is alluding me today. Back to my paskettis and coke.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #16  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

When a potential customer or recruit calls SU, they have a referral system, probably the same as the "Find a Demonstrator" link on the website. Several years ago I got a call from SU with the name and phone number of a potential recruit
That is how I found my upline after my other demo quit!! It turned out that I went to school with her.. she graduated a year ahead of me with my sister. I love having a close upline because I can borrow ANYTHING from her at anytime!! It is great!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey, sign up under me!!

The weather's great, but we Californian's are a little wacky!!....Although our governor could probably take on anyone else's :lol:

I called SU to sign up and they gave me the name of a local demo whom I had to sign up under. After about a year of being "The Lone Demo", and a lot of high sales, her upline's-upline has contacted me, and I go to their meetings and stuff. There is a big difference between being a lone demo and having an upline support group. You learn a lot even if you're very experienced, and it's lots of fun, too. Hello... imagine a room full of women just as obsessed with stampin' as you....quite a site, really!

Good luck and happy demo-ing!

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks...."
I Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! I'm one of those *freaks* who has no upline and I'm direct to the company -- have been that way for almost 3 years now.

The catch is that I'm Canadian and when I joined there were hardly any demonstrators at all yet. So anything I've done with my SU career and accomplishments has been by "winging it" on my own, as well as thanks to an awesome peer network of super-talented & generous demos ...like the ones here at SCS!

Do you need to have a super-involved upline? Nope, you can simply sign the paperwork up under just about anyone and then just take it from there.

But would it be as much fun as hooking up with a great team that will support you every step of the way and help recognize your achievements? I bet not!!

Just my 2cents (Canadian!)

Caroline in Toronto
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Be selective

I originally signed up under someone after my first workshop. Unfortunately I was more interested in signing up than running a business at that point, and it turned out that my upline and I didn't see eye to eye on things. My priorities need to shift for a little bit anyway, so I resigned SU for 6 months until I could sign up under a new upline.

My new upline is available for my online questions the day I ask them. She has access to the correct answers and has affiliations with some of the major teams/uplines in SU (Christina Crawford, Joyce Feraco and Janet Wakeland). She has quarterly meetings and is an overall kind and generous person as well as successful demo. I have only been a demo again for a week, but can you tell I'm pleased?

There have been a number of previous threads on how to select the appropriate upline for you. It helps if you "click" and have a similar view of where you want to go in YOUR business... If they have ideas as to how to help you get to where you want to go, it can really help you feel more comfortable and confident.

When I first signed up I was really looking for help learning techniques and basic stamping. I didn't even know how to cut out and mount the stamps in my kit! Now I'm looking for support in my business. I know the basic stamping stuff now (I hope!), but feel I need more support in learning how to actually make money at this. I feel my new upline can really help me do that in a way in which I am comfortable.

Just remember that if you don't go with your current demo, there might be some difficult discussions as she is likely to be disappointed. Hopefully she will be professional and remember that business decisions do not need to end friendships or relationships in general.

If you have any additional questions about I found the right one for me, just PM me!

All my best,

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolineInToronto
LOL! I'm one of those *freaks* who has no upline and I'm direct to the company -- have been that way for almost 3 years now.

The catch is that I'm Canadian and when I joined there were hardly any demonstrators at all yet. So anything I've done with my SU career and accomplishments has been by "winging it" on my own, as well as thanks to an awesome peer network of super-talented & generous demos ...like the ones here at SCS!

Do you need to have a super-involved upline? Nope, you can simply sign the paperwork up under just about anyone and then just take it from there.

But would it be as much fun as hooking up with a great team that will support you every step of the way and help recognize your achievements? I bet not!!

Just my 2cents (Canadian!)

Caroline in Toronto

The deal with Canadians is that they can't sign under United States' Demos. So when Stampin' Up! branched to Canada it was in essence like starting all over. The beginning Canadian Demonstrators will be directly linked to Stampin' Up!. But also United States "recruits" cannot sign under Canadian Demonstrators... just as an US customer can't purchase from a Canadian Demonstrator.....or vice versa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a couple downline...
My upline is not the most active...long story for a different venue.
When my first downline signed, I was VERY excited...okay off the hook EXCITED to have her. I wanted to be the upline that I had always wanted. She lives a few states away so I couldn't help in person but I wanted to help. So I sent her goodies, I emailed her almost on a daily basis, I offered alll kinds of help.
I think it was a bit much for her because she emailed me and very gently said "Amy, you are VERY sweet and generous. But I really am okay over here. How about I email you if I need anything" :shock:
I was trying a bit hard...ya think?
Anyway...my point is, just because you HAVE an upline doesn't mean that you NEED that upline. But it is nice to have someone there to answer business questions, to help brainstorm, borrow from and generally just have look out for your best interests.
I hope you get past this initial decision and become a Stampin' Up! demonstrator...wish you lots of luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck in your venture!!! It is fun being an SU demo!! Now if I could only get off this computer and stamp some!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I finally made a scrapbook page today. One page and it took the whole day. (It's tough with three kids home because of the snow!) Oh well, I should've known not to start a project like that when they are all here and have "cabin fever". I think we are all ready to be finished with the stinkin' snow! :lol:

Reply With Quote Likes