Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2005, 07:24 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't it...........

A general consensus around here when you case a card, that is so close to the original, you should give a nod to the original poster? This has happened to me twice in a week, by the same person, and were very obvious. I am really upset, my hands are shaking as I type this. I know we put things here to share, and many of our cards are twists on what we have seen here or in magazines, but to be blatent about it, is just not right. I may remove my whole gallery and stop posting here.................

Valerie

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I believe that's the general consensus. I hope you don't remove your gallery-it's good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I'm so sorry that this happened. :( Maybe you should PM the people and explain how you feel and ask them to give credit next time. :? It wasn't me, was it?

Please don't pull your gallery, your cards are amazing!!!

Visit My Blog : Granite State Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Default Casing

Valerie, who did it I look at your work all the time and am always insipred it would be so sad to loose you!
Virginia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:52 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I agree that it's part of stamping's unsaid rules to give credit to your inspiration. But I do remember when back when I first started it never occured to me so I'm sure I did the same thing without meaning to be rude. It's kinda something you learn as you go along. I also used to save the cards I liked on my harddrive and title them by the set name so when I got to it I had no idea who orginally created it.

I hope that if they knew they had offended they would be upset and I feel fairly certain that it was unintentional

I love your cards and have several of them in my favorites! I haven't attempted to copy them because they seem so far from my style that I'm scared to even attempt them.

I don't even think there is a guideline on the site that covers our online manners...

Hope your day gets better

Splitcoast member #803
My Gallery
Read my LATEST STORY on OurEcho.com
http://www.ourecho.com/biography-200...rie-Hyle.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It happens to be the same person, otherwise I would tend to agree with you that it is unintentional. And, in their own gallery, there are a couple of cards that say CASED, so I am pretty sure she is aware of the unwritten rule.

Sorry to be venting openly about this, but it was not the way to start my Sunday morning and it upset me greatly.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Life is too short to get upset about this- Why not consider it a compliment- We get our inspiration from anything! I got inspiration from my hubby's shirt! I see a clothes catalog and the colors inspire me- I sure am not going to giv ecredit ti the catalog- Lightten up! Don't you give workshoops and all the cards are like the sample you made?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Valerie

Don't pull your galllery...PLEASE!!! I love your work. I know this is frustrating for you, but in a community of over 30,000 there will always be those that don't follow all the "rules"...especially unwritten rules of courtesy. There's a million reasons why she may have "forgotten" to credit you or mention that she CASEd. Perhaps you could comment on her card with something like "I feel honored that you liked my card enough to CASE" (or is that too snarky?). Or you could PM her politely. Everybody makes mistakes...let's assume she didn't do it intentionally and would appreciate having it brought to her attention. I'm really sorry you're having a bad Sunday morning. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think that comparing finding colors in a catalog or on a shirt are different. An oranges and apples comparision. We all do that, or many of us do, anyway. Totally different than a case.

Using the same sets, and techniques are apples to apples. Maybe I should have held my breath longer before I started this thread.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:09 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Here is a suggestion for all those reading this thread. I like to save a lot of copies of other work for inspiration. When saving another artists work to my computer I rename the file like this: Stamp Set Name -- Artist Name.jpg. I have even recently taken to including the Artists email address (if I know it) so can contact her should I need to.

This process takes a little more time, but in the end, well worth it. Most of us see way to many samples to remember who actually inspired us!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:14 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I see how you have credited Michelle with your inspiration on the "no layers' card, too bad the copy cat wasn't as kind.

Keep in mind that to copy a great work is a true form of flattery...they just should know enough to give credit where credit is due....please don't pull your gallery...it is awesome.

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_Stasel
Here is a suggestion for all those reading this thread. I like to save a lot of copies of other work for inspiration. When saving another artists work to my computer I rename the file like this: Stamp Set Name -- Artist Name.jpg. I have even recently taken to including the Artists email address (if I know it) so can contact her should I need to.

This process takes a little more time, but in the end, well worth it. Most of us see way to many samples to remember who actually inspired us!

Susan
I don't save things in this fashion, which is actually a really good idea, but what I do is I have a folder for SCS samples that I like and if I choose to CASE something, then I just do a quick search in SCS for the person's sample to give them credit.

I agree with everyone that you should just PM the person and let them know the unwritten rules and ask them to update the info to give you credit !!! I just checked out your gallery and you are very talented, so please don't remove your samples on account of one person !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sorry Valerie..... I got nothing smart to say. That sucks babe!

You have an awesome gallery.... I can see why you'd be CASE'd. Please don't pull it!

Have a great weekend!!
~C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:27 AM   #14  
Abbe-licious

I am sorry this had to happen to you,I agree credit should be given to you if it is your card. but maybe you should take it to her privately before you start telling everyone else.
BTW I really hope it wasn't me, now i have to go and check your gallery to make sure,
Incidentally I think you have a great talent in making cards, I look forward to see all of your sketches in the weekly sketch challenges.

edited to say i am sorry that sounded like I was scolding you, that wasn't my intent. Sorry, I see how it sounds after I reread it. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

You know, I get ideas from this site all the time. I might not make the card right away. But when I sit down to make one and think of an idea. I know I get it from something I have seen, here or where ever. I have seen alot of post about people not giving credit to the person that made the card first. This makes me not want to post cards here, not cause I don't want to see others made like it. But because I'm afraid someone will be mad I used their Idea. I thought that is why you post them, so others can use them.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I guess my feeling on this is that if you don't want people to CASE your cards, then don't post them. If a card is posted, it is out in the open. Of course, it would be nice if everyone would post who their inspiration for the card is. But really, there are so many other things in this world to worry about besides this. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I would love it if someone CASE'd my cards. But since I don't post on here, the only way that will happen is in a workshop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi Jamie,
We aren't talking about getting ideas.... we all do that. I think Valerie is talking about a complete CASE. That is where you copy the card exactly. If you take the time to copy a card, why not just say, CASE'd or inspired by " ". It's not a big deal, and it makes the person who inspired you feel really great and want to post more instead of pulling thier gallery.

There are many layouts that can be similiar and I know it's going to happen when cards look the same.... especially when there are so many talented people here. But, if you sit with a card on your screen, or printed off from here and copy it... that is CASE'ing. Just take some extra time when uploading it to say so.... it's the nice, respectful thing to do.

We all want to share... that's why we upload!!

~C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

This makes me not want to post cards here, not cause I don't want to see others made like it. But because I'm afraid someone will be mad I used their Idea.
No one should feel afraid to post cards here. I'm certain that was not Valerie's intent. If you were inspired by work you saw here, but didn't really copy it you can just say in your card description "inspired by work seen here at SCS". If someone's work really caused you to make your version or if you actually fairly closely copied someone then it is a courtesy to mention their name in your card description. If the card was only in your head and you were'nt actually looking at it on the screen aor on a printout and perhaps you cannot find it again when you look for it then simply say "I'm unable to find the beautiful card that inspired me, but I belive it was here on SCS". There is no hard fast rule. Just use common sense and courtesy. Never a need to be afraid of posting IMO!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I should not have started this, I was upset because of the circumstances. The first one was a same day case, the second one about a week later. And, yes, I agree this is a public forum, and that we all share ideas, but common courtesy should come into play when the creations are all in the same common area.

So I am stopping this thread now, before I get scolded by anyone else.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Please,Please,Please! continue to post your work. You're cards are the best! I know I have PM'd you and told you so... You are the only person that I have ever done this to. I wanted you to know HOW MUCH I LOVE YOUR CARDS! I'm sorry that someone hase cased your work and did not give you credit. But please don't make the rest of us suffer because of their "error". You have so much talent it would be a shame if we could not all enjoy your hard work! Some day I hope to develop just a little bit of your eye for color and design. Please think of the thousands on this site who are inspired by your work, we would all miss you terribly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Valerie,

PLEASE do not remove you gallery! It is one I often run to for inspiration! I would pm the person and remind them the rules for CASE'd work. To be caught is shameful, to be called on it by the person you did it to is worse! I'm sure you would see credit given to you.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful creations on this site!

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

I'd just like to add my two cents in here.....

I'm sorry that you have been offended by someone using your ideas and not giving you credit. However, that said, it's bound to happen on a site like this with so many ideas! And not necessarily intentionally! I have made cards that ended up being pretty much identical to other ones here that I have seen at one point or another and it wasn't until long after I saw them originally that I realized it wasn't an original idea! I know there is a good chance that cards in my gallery would be considered cased - however, there are so many sources of inspiration that I know I totally lose track of where an idea came from. I don't think people are trying to be rude or are trying to take credit when credit isn't due when they CASE a card and don't acknowledge it. It just happens sometimes.

Having said that, if you see a card in my gallery that you originally designed, let me know because I want to give credit where credit is due. I think that it is good to acknowledge when something is directly CASED (sets, colour, layout identical) but I think that it should be looked on as flattery when your idea is used and modified even if it's just in colours or sets. I also think that if a person feels that their designs are theirs and theirs only, don't post them. If you aren't willing to have people use your ideas, even exactly as you have used them, then don't share them.

I'm sorry you were offended this morning. Sucks to start off your day like that.

J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I understand, I posted a card I received from my secret sister. After I posted it I thought, should I have done that? How can I credit her when I don't know who it is. I was just so excited to get it. Should I have posted it? It will be in my gallery now, instead of hers.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If there was a way to remove all this I would, I am through being scolded, which I said up above. I should have have paused and thought before I hit submit, but I can't undo it.

Valerie

p.s. as far as posting cards rec'd in the mail, when I post any RAKs I've gotten I always put who it was from, and a thank you in the forum.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper_jamie
I understand, I posted a card I received from my secret sister. After I posted it I thought, should I have done that? How can I credit her when I don't know who it is. I was just so excited to get it. Should I have posted it? It will be in my gallery now, instead of hers.
Jamie
That's not a problem. In the desription you just say that you received it from your SS. Like when people post RAKs they've recd.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Valerie, and I hope you dont pull your gallery or stop posting your wonderful creations!!!
Personally, I have recreated MANY cards from this site(and way back even posted my 'copy' of a card and in diff colors, and acknowledged as a case) but now my thinking( for me) is why recreate a card EXACTLY from a sample here, then post that card in the gallery?? If it is a pure replica, why put it in the gallery? I dont put my exact CASEs in the gallery, since they've already been done. I dont see the point of it. Does that make sense???
Have a great day!!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11
If there was a way to remove all this I would, I am through being scolded, which I said up above. I should have have paused and thought before I hit submit, but I can't undo it.

Valerie
OK - How about if everyone just stops posting to this thread and let the issue die as Valerie has asked.

Have a great Sunday everybody!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Valerie, I see which cards you are talking about!! The stinker didn't even bother to leave you a nice comment on your cards

Your cards are wonderful, don't stop posting!

visit my site: www.danahatch.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #29  
Abbe-licious

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper_jamie
Jamie
That's not a problem. In the desription you just say that you received it from your SS. Like when people post RAKs they've recd.

thats what I did, and in the end, I will go back and add who my secret sister was on all of the things i have posted from her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkalicious
I agree with Valerie, and I hope you dont pull your gallery or stop posting your wonderful creations!!!
Personally, I have recreated MANY cards from this site(and way back even posted my 'copy' of a card and in diff colors, and acknowledged as a case) but now my thinking( for me) is why recreate a card EXACTLY from a sample here, then post that card in the gallery?? If it is a pure replica, why put it in the gallery? I dont put my exact CASEs in the gallery, since they've already been done. I dont see the point of it. Does that make sense???
Have a great day!!
Tandra
I agree, why post it if there is one already posted.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

That's a good idea, I'll go back and add the name of my ss at the end. Thank you for the great idea.
Jamie
Jamie SCS #17504
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I just checked your gallery to be sure it wasn't me (wasn't- phewww). I've just recently started posting to my own gallery recently, and have forgotten to give credit where it is due sometimes. Will be more careful in the future! Love the idea of saving downloads with name and artist's name. I will do that from now on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Valerie,
If it was me, I'd email her and ask.

Better to get it in the open. Perhaps it was an oversight not to put CASEd on those two. Really, it could have been ... although she knows better, sometimes I forget to put details in my description that I had planned to. It happens.

Don't be mad. This has happened to me alot. I usually just brush it off or email the person directly. Its just a card... keep it in perspective.

Michelle
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen to me at least twice that I know of. The cards were identical to mine...in fact, at first I thought they were my cards, and wondered why they were being posted again! :?
Of course we don't mind being copied, but it is nice to get some credit for the original idea. I always try to give people credit even if their work was just the inspiration for a completely different card!
The inconsiderate behavior of some doesn't make me want to stop posting here, but it sure is upsetting.
Of course, I still can't understand why someone would want to post an exact replica of a card...what's the point of it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I should not have started this
No, I am glad you did mention it!
You gave me an etticut lesson.
It is good to know the right way to do things.
I was oblivious to this, and now I am happy to have my sensitivity level raised. From now on...I will be careful to give proper credit.
It's good to know!

Quote:

before I get scolded by anyone else. Valerie
Honey, I honestly don't think anyone's intention is to scold.
They are trying to help you get over it.
You have great style!
Please know we are all in this together.
WE're pulling for you!
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

To stereo type here, we girls can't let it rest, can we!

With the exception of say, oh, electricity, oh, maybe computers, the wheel, to name a few, very few ideas are actually ours to own. They are tucked in our memory bank for future reference, conscious or not. We all case in some degree, my problem with the whole thing is the blatant casing without credit of some sort. Even if just mentioning that you saw a card, can't remember who or where, and did your version of it. And in the case of a CASE, as Inkalicious said, why post it here again? Unless you are willing to give the credit.

A big thanks to everyone who has pm'd me, your kind words are heartfelt and appreciated by me.

Now, let's let it go. I'm off to one last SAB workshop, so I need to get off the site and pack the van.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to suggest that these threads are becoming frequent and maybe it would save embarrassment to the offender if it was handled in private. Secondly, if a card is very precious I would not put it on the internet if it offended me not to be given credit by each person who might find inspiration in it. Thirdly, I am delighted, absolutley delighted to find copies of my cards all over the place. I could care less if they give me credit because very few people know me from Adam anyway. Personally, I have enough struggles in my life that I have decided not to sweat the small stuff especially if it will cause my day to be a little less joyful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

I'm sure everyone is ready to not hear anymore from this thread but I wanted to give my two cents. Or maybe I should say 1/2 cent. It's not worth much. I love this site. Everything about it. The forums as well as the galleries. The forums give me a chance to chat with other women that have my same interests. And the gallery.... where do I begin. When I sit down to create something it takes me forever. So I love to go to the gallery. When I CASE I usually do it exactly. And I agree, what's the point of posting an exact duplicate. I have only posted one card that I CASE'd. That was because I changed the colors. I did everything else the same. I changed the colors to make it more masculine and gave the card to my DH. In the title I gave credit to the original designer. That is how you should do it. If you don't remember, then in the directions just say that you were inspired by someone else's creation. Even if you changed the set and the colors.

Valerie, I'm sure this was upsetting to you. We all have the right to our own opinions and feelings. Don't regret submiting this thread. It raises the awareness for people that may not understand and it reminds those who already know to do the right thing.

Now... after all that.... I'm off to go check out your gallery that everyone says is so awesome. I WILL CASE you if I like something.... EXACTLY the way you have it. But you won't see it in my gallery. That's why I have so few in my gallery. I can't help it... I'm a CASE'r.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes