Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ordered personalised SU stamps?

Has anyone ordered the personalised stamps for addresses or "hand stamped by" images? I was wondering how long it took to order and if you used them a lot? Were they worth the expense? Also, has anyone noticed how the text only stamps in the classic and contemporary look identical? Is this a mistake?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I can answer your first question. I ordered a personalized stamp for a customer at a workshop and it came with the rest of the order in a week's time. I was shocked as I expected it to come later.

Splitcoast member #803
My Gallery
Read my LATEST STORY on OurEcho.com
http://www.ourecho.com/biography-200...rie-Hyle.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I ordered the personal hand stamped from SU it has a different kind
of rubber and it doesnt seem to stick as well and the stamp part already came off the rubber part.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I have several & I love them!! I even got one for DD to use on her RAK's never had a problem with them not sticking :? HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I bought one 2 years ago and am not very happy with it. I rarely use it. It's not the same quality as the rest of their stamps. The image is not as raised and does not come out clear. This was 2 catalogs ago so they may have changed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:42 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have one....havent had any issues with it not sticking, but does anyone else's smell funny?? Mine smells horrible!!! I try not to inhale when i use it!!! lol And the texture of the rubber is different than the sets from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I have both the generic personalized one with my name and address from last year and I like it, but it sometimes looks a little smudged.

I also have the Hand Stamped by one from last year which I absolutely LOVE!!! I love it so much that I'm thinking of buying another one. I always use it on the back of any card I make and have gotten lots of compliments after people have seen it. (I also have the angel stamps which I used to use and then hand write my name but the personalized one is faster and I think looks a LOT better.)

HTH,
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I purchased the personalized stamp with a graphic, and I love it. I use it on all of my catalogs, forms etc. and it was worth the money. My stamp came with the rest of the order in a week as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's so funny that you mentioned the smell. Mine smells horrible too! I couldn't figure out what smelled so bad when I opened the box. It seems to have gone away some with use. I do use mine a lot. I agree that the rubber is not the same quality as the other stamps. I've only had it for a couple of months so I haven't had any sticking problems yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:02 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have one personalized stamp and I use it all the time - I've been thinking about getting another one.

~Kelly~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

someone ordered a personalized one at one of my parties to use for her buisness ( she is a consultant with another home-based buisness). The stamp arrived with the rest of the order. I do believe she said the stamp had come off the block, but my demo suggested a way to reattach it and said if it still a problem, it would be replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:19 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I can't say enough good things about my personalized stamp. I started out with a one-line stamp three years ago. It just had my first name on it. I would use an incentive stamp ("this wish stamped by" or "handstamped with love by") on the back of my cards and then stamp my name under it.

When the "Tag It" stamp came out in the 2003-2004 catalog I just had to have it. I just have my first name on there and use it on the back of every card I make. I'm considering getting the Decorative Design as well. I gave the "Tag It" stamps as birthday gifts to my upline, my downline (a whopping two), my mom, my sister and a friend. Just off the top of my head I can think of five customers who've order them and we all love them. I haven't heard of any problems from any of them. I do notice that the new ones smell, but I've had mine for 1 1/2 years now (since the "Tag It" came out in the catalog last year) and it doesn't smell funny at all.

I also got a four-line personalized stamp from the last catalog. It is the one with the sun on it and I use that to stamp my order forms. It has my name, phone number, and "visit my website at" on the third line with my web address on the fourth. I love it. I stamp it in black and then use a sponge dauber to make a little dot over the sun in Summer Sun ink.

Side note, if your rubber comes off your foam, reattach with a little Elmer's Glue or Rubber Cement. Another thing that you can do is take your stamp completely off the wood block and gently pull the foam off the stamp part. Then using a scrap or scraps of extra rubber & foam you've trimmed away from other stamps, gently peel the flat rubber off the scrap of foam, making sure not to tear the top layer of adhesive off the foam. Then press your stamp to the scrap foam and trim any excess away. Peel off the paper and re-mount to your wood. I've done this SEVERAL times and it works like a charm. Case in point, the little dot on the Nice & Narrow set was seperated from the foam by an enthusiastic stamp camper while she was cleaning it. I re-mounted it and haven't had any problems with it since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I have two and I love them. The first one I ordered and it is a "hand stamped" one with the little tag. I use it all the time on all my cards. The other one was a Christmas gift from my upline and it says "A Note From Ginger" in the large font. I love it! I have not had any problems with them, no problem with the rubber coming up, and I scrub the thing pretty vigorously.

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I got the hand stamped by one a few month ago. It does smell really bad and I have had to use rubber cement on it a few times to glue the rubber back together but I still use it on all my cards.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have always thought about getting a personalized one, one of my friends ordered one and it happened to be when their machine went out of whack so she had to wait longer than most do on theirs. I saw hers though and it did have a different rubber looking texture, maybe thiner can't remember and I said it smelt like burnt rubber. I think it would be nice to have one, but I don't see the point of getting the address one since we are military and move around alot. I am waiting to see what the new catalog will put out and I might buy one then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two of the "hand stamped by" personalized stamps that came out in this year's catalog. I LOVE them! I haven't had any problems with them at all and they stamp beautifully.

Both of the ones I've ordered (and even ones my customers have ordered) have shipped at the same time as the rest of the order - I haven't found any lag time.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I'll have to go sniff my two personalized stamps. I've never smelled anything unusual, but I haven't gotten my nose really close!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I cannot believe all these positive responses! I ordered a four line one in the script writing last July. I was so disappointed! You cannot even read the stamped image because it is so small. I had a customer order one and she wanted to order the script one and I talked her out of it. I did not want her to be disappointed like me. She ordered one of the other fonts and was very pleased!

I am glad to hear so many positive responses and maybe I will revisit the personalized stamp idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I've sold quite a few of them as well and have not had any negative responses about them. My SIL has one, as does my stepmom. My stepmom told me she loves hers and uses it all the time. She got a return address one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I had a customer just order one. It came with the regular order, which I believe was about 3 days from the date I placed the order, (Yeah! SU!) The only thing I dislike about it is that the impression is not very raised so the edges are easily inked up. Also, it does have a horrible smell to it. It about made me puke when I opened it. Many years ago I ordered one with my name and the rubber was much different and the impression was very nice. I love that one.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Has anyone ordered the Classic or contemporary text only stamps? Can you compare them to the font used in the catalogue, and tell me if it looks the same? I just don't see any difference between the two styles!

I'm trying to decide which style I'd like to use, as I'm not partial to the script style.

Shelley BC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I had one made from SU with my name and address and I am not pleased with it. The the letters are not raised up enough. When I use a stamp pad it gets all aound the edges and the middle of the stamp. So when I stamp my address the edges and the middle show up too. Does that make sense? I was personally not pleased, but other than that I still love SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Mine smells bad and I have sent the first one back due to poor quality outlined by others. The new one makes a better impression, but the quality is still not as good as their other stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

i have both the return address stamps and the personalized stamps from SU! it is probably the only thing SU! has ever done that i have not been happy with. rubber images not raised enough, and i trim close - and have to be VERY careful inking those stamps so as not to get ink on the edges. i am at a loss to understand why they farmed these stamps out to someone other than their normal supplier. i have several RA stamps from paper angels that are PERFECT. sigh. :(

Stampin' Up! demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 02:10 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

The differences in the rubber are due to the way the rubber is processed in order for it to be a ppersonalized stamp. While the actual raised surface isn't as deeply etched as the regular SU! stamps, they are sufficiently raised. You do have to have a lighter touch when inking them so that you don't "catch an edge". I have a three line contemporary that I use to stamp my mini cattys and the like, a Playful Confetti 4 line for RA, a 4 line RA from last year's catty, Tag It & On a Whim with both my first & last names for the backs of cards & I love them all! I have a long name, so Tag It has had to be remounted a couple of times because the "wings" of my name have come off after vigorous scrubbing, but that doesn't bother me. The bad smell does eventually go away. The one thing I would recommend is to choose the type styles that are more blocky lettered because they are easier to read. Those who have questions about the differences between classic & contemporary, the classic type style has what are called serifs on the letters. Serifs are the little wingy things like on the capital letter "L" or "N". The contemproary type style doesn't have serifs and it is in bold print.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I also noticed they do smell bad but the odor does go away some as you use it. I had one and I had to trim it real close to the words so not to get the over hang. I cant find it but ordered a different one I do like that it is easy to use but I guess I will have to take the rubber off the wood and remount it and maybe it will stick better.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:26 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

I have the Tag It one and, as many have said, it is not as raised as regular SU stamps. I still love it however and use it on the back of every one of my cards. You do have to be light-handed with it though. ~Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:56 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

I've never ordered one because my first and last names won't fit into the number of allowed characters. It is disappointing to me. I would really like one. I'll just have to consider using only my first name. :?

C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine P
I've never ordered one because my first and last names won't fit into the number of allowed characters. It is disappointing to me. I would really like one. I'll just have to consider using only my first name. :?

C
That is what I had to do.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I have the On A Whim one - I use it on every thing I stamp - I LOVE mine and have not had any trouble with it. The rubber does look a little different than the others - but it has worked fine for me - no problems at all -- love it love it love it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I am so glad to hear you like your on a whim, I just ordered it and then I saw these posts and got worried!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I got one with the leaf and hand stamped by, with my name. I love it, and haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelley BC
Has anyone ordered the Classic or contemporary text only stamps? Can you compare them to the font used in the catalogue, and tell me if it looks the same? I just don't see any difference between the two styles!
Shelley,

The Classic is more of a Times font and the Contemporary looks closer to an Arial type font. They look very different to me, but I often analyze this type of thing with my line of work. The Contemporary also looks bolder and the letters are more "boxy". Hope this helps.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey, for those "stinky" stamps you all received, try slipping a new fabric softener sheet in with your little case and see if it helps any over a few days time! Just a thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Mine isn't clear at all. I hardly ever use it. Next time, I'll order one from someone in town who makes business stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 03:04 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

SU has special machines right at the distribution center that make the personalized stamps - they are not farmed out. I have seen them during tours I have had during SU events. Many of the fonts were changed for the current catalog so that they are slightly larger and easier to read. I have several of the current personalized stamps and I love them. They are individually etched by laser, that's why the image is not as deep as the regular stamps. They can't make a mold for each one of us! So you do have to trim them closely and stamp lightly. If you still catch an edge you can remove the stamp by placing in the microwave for 5 seconds to loosen the glue and retrim. As to the smell (burning rubber!), I just leave them out of the case for a day and it goes away. I hope that helps!
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 04:01 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Default Personalized Stamp

I actually just got a personalized stamp a few weeks ago. As an SU demonstrator I got a 3-line one with my name, SU consultant, and my phone #.
Can't tell you how much time I save now on not having to write out those details EVERY time. Much easier to stamp it!!! So I do use it a lot.

As for the quality..... Mine did smell like burnt rubber as well (from the personalizing I assume) but now the smell is gone. My line 2 was longer then the rest, so upon cutting it out the rubber was very skinny... therefore it did come apart when I was cleaning it :( The good news is that a little crystal effects made it perfect again!!!

Overall... I would say it's not the best quality SU has to offer.... but I wouldn't give it back either as it does save me a ton of pen energy for all my paperwork!!!
Reply With Quote Likes