Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink What's the Deal with Halloween cards?

Sorry folks but I just don't get it! What's up with Halloween cards? I don't know if it's me or a Canadian thing but I just cannot get excited about making cards for Halloween. I wouldn't even know who to give said cards to. Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way or am I just a freak of nature?
I hope this thread doesn't offend anyone because it was not meant to. I'm just askin'.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

i guess it is nice to give to kids, my son loves gettign mail... it doesnt matter what kind of card or mail it is,.... LoL
If i buy a halloween set I use it on my scrap book pages or if i make goodie bags for my sons school for a party etc....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Your post doesn't offend me at all.

I send Halloween cards for the same reason I send Valentine's, Easter, Fourth of July and Christmas cards - just to give someone a smile or make their day. I like getting cards and really, my friends and I like any excuse to stamp!

I have read somewhere that Halloween is the 2nd most decorated holiday now (Christmas being #1) - so I think people just think Halloween is a fun holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I guess I don't get "into" Halloween cards because I don't send them. I have a brother and family and DD and SIL but never have sent them Halloween cards and probably won't start now. Perhaps if I DID send more Halloween cards, I'd be more into it. I'm a little that way with Thanksgiving -- I do typically send them to brother and daughter but that's it.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

OK, here's another question then. Is this more of an American thing than a Canadian thing? I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like sending them, I just can't seem to get into making them...maybe its the colors, I just dont know...but I am stuck on ideas!!! I love all the ones in the gallery but since I am making alot I want simple, and for some reason Halloween just doesnt do simple! whew, I feel better now!
It does seem though that in the last several years it has become a much bigger deal than it used to be...like everything else I guess!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make Halloween cards for my five grandchildren, but I usually try to use images from other sets and make them look like Halloween. Since those are the only Halloween cards I make, I've never bought a set for the holiday. I do have Festive Four, which has a Jack-o-lantern image, but I got that set from my demonstrator as a gift. With that being said, I've been really tempted by Booglie Eyes! For some reason that set just got to me! I'd have to come up with some sayings that I could use for birthdays and such throughout the year, though, before I buy it!
Maybe "Happy Mother's Day, Mummy!", or "Happy Birthday to my dear fiend!", or a Get Well card using the vampire that says "You're looking a bit pale. What have you been up to?", or "There's not a ghost of a chance that I'd forget your birthday!"
I think I've just convinced myself that I have to have that set!!!! LOL![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I've actually wondered this exact same thing.

I never make Halloween cards. I am not into Halloween at all. I find it a bit creepy actually. But I know kids enjoy trick or treating, as did I when I was a kid. I'm Canadian, but I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

Curious to hear what others think.

barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

I send Halloween cards....don't know just always have. I have never really been notified by anyone that I send them to that they don't want them or don't like receiving them because of the holiday itself. I guess I just will keep doing them until someone tells me they are offensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

For me, it is just another excuse to make cards... and hopefully put a little smile on someone's face. I would never send to anyone who did not celebrate Halloween, but you know, homemade cards do make people smile, and you never know when someone might really need a little help in the smiling department!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Halloween in the US is a billion dollar (at least) industry, second only to Christmas in generating revenue. Really! More and more houses decorate for halloween and there are tons of parties. I guess we like to party, eat candy, scare ourselves, and spend money!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I'm an American and I do NOT get it either. I pass out candy at my door. I don't dress up. I don't decorate my house. I haven't even dressed up my kids yet. I don't send Halloween cards. I'm just not a big fan of monsters, spiders and witches. I'm also not a huge fan of all of the candy that gets passed out.

I've never received any Halloween cards either.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

I never was much of a Hallowe'en person, but like GardenB I don't know if that is because I'm Canadian or because I just don't care for the holiday. My DH enjoys giving out candy and such (my tall handsome Alberta boy ) but I don't think he'd ever start sending out Hallowe'en cards on his own. My sister sent some Garfield Hween cards to myself and our mum years ago, but that was because they were cute and she wanted to let us know she was thinking about us. I also don't get into Easter cards so much or anything -- just the candy part.

My conspiracy theory side is pretty convinced that places like Hallmark and Michaels have been slowly and carefully cultivating a market for Hween cards and decor for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I never got into Halloween until I had kids. Now I LOVE it. This is my first year stamping & I have a bunch of Halloween stamps so I'll definitely send. To whom?? Well, to my friends who have kids (haven't decided if I would send just to the kids, or make it to the whole family) & to my RAK'ing friends here on SCS!!!! I never thought about possibly offending someone, sure hope I don't!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #15  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I send Halloween cards to my neice and nephews - always have. Now that I'm stamping - it only makes sense that I make them. I have to admit, I only have 1 Halloween set. I just don't want to invest in more when I only make 4 cards a year with it.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to chrise16

I never thought much about making Halloween cards until I saw what cool sets SU! offers! I love to decorate for Halloween, so why not send cards, too. You never know whose day you might brighten! :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

It's just another great excuse to make a card =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

For me it is my son's Birthday so I get to use the halloween stamps... otherwise I don't think I would use them much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

i mean i dont really make halloween cards, but we really get into it. My husband and I both dress up and dress up our kids, we decorate like crazy, one year my hubby had a my buddy doll he hung from a tree ( you know how they look like chucky from child's play ) and had it rigged so he could raise it or lower it out of the tree.... we love it...
Part of the problem is halloween has become commercialized, no one knows the true history of halloween anymore, or why you carve jack - o - lanterns etc....we do a traditional jack and one not so traditional ( liek pumpkin carvers) there is a reason for this... we love being creative, but want to teah our kids the reasons we carve jack o lanterns etc, so we explain things every year as we do them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Halloween in the US is a billion dollar (at least) industry, second only to Christmas in generating revenue. Really! More and more houses decorate for halloween and there are tons of parties. I guess we like to party, eat candy, scare ourselves, and spend money!!
Yep, it doesn't take much of an excuse to have a party! I personally don't send Halloween cards, but Halloween is a very favorite time of the year for us. I make little treat bag toppers for the kids treats, but I only have a couple pumpkin stamps for that. We have a costume contest at work, my grandkids come to our neighborhood to trick 'r treat, and my daughter's birthday falls on that weekend so we have a party at night for her. A local farmer's market has hayrides and a big pumpkin patch that the kids visit every year. We don't do the creepy stuff and ugly witches because the kids are too young. But more of the cute little ghosts and pumpkins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

My kids have always dressed up for H. and we have always handed out candy but we have never decorated (other than the family-made Jack-o-lanterns). It's interesting to get everyone elses take on this. Keep it coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I make and send Halloween cards to our family members, just as a way to let them know we are thinking of them. Plus, my cats make me do it. ;) They are always dressed for Halloween. I think it is fun to make Halloween cards. I never treat it as a serious holiday, so my halloween cards usually have fun/cute/feline images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I have always LOVED Hallowe'en. My husband and I do not ask for birthdays or our anniversarys off work but ALWAYS ask for Hallowe'en. We decorate and pass out candies. We've never sent Hallowe'en cards yet but some day might. I've never heard of Hallowe'en cards until I started making cards.

I do notice that Hallowe'en is not as popular as it was when I was little. I suspect this is due in part to the much needed curfews cutting the night short, vandalism, early marketing and overexposure in the stores. Also there are a lot of churches in my area who are opposed to the holiday.

I think the main reason I don't make Hallowe'en cards is that I have a tendancy to not plan for a holiday/event until the one before it is over. Besides having a lot of birthdays/anniversaries in the summer and in Sept and early Oct. Hallowe'en is only two weeks after Thanksgiving. It usually takes us about a week to recouperate from family holidays/get togethers. They are always way too stressful than they need to be. That does not leave a lot of time to prepare for Hallowe'en.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm not a fan of Halloween, but I think it's because we never made a big deal out of it as kids...I trick-or-treated, but always wore a costume that we made (i.e. when I played soccer, I was a soccer player for Halloween; one year my little girlfriend and I dressed up in identical outfits and went as twins)...my folks weren't big on spending lots of $$ to buy brother and I costumes, so I probably am not enthusiastic about it now since I never really felt like my costumes were up to par :(. I'm sure my mom would hate to hear that, but I doubt when we have kids someday that I'll make a big deal out of it, either.

That said, I have a workshop coming up later this month and am struggling to come up with card ideas using stamps I already have...I don't own a single Halloween set, but thanks to this site, have some ideas rattling around my brain.

I really do think it's an individual thing; much like Christmas, every family celebrates differently (or not at all!) and to varying extremes.

Interesting topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not been "into" Halloween since I was 14, but I do understand why so many people are--it's just another excuse to have fun! Why not!

I totally agree with Leah about too much candy for the kids--between halloween parties at school, church fall festivals, and trick-or-treating, it's too much! I end up hiding the bulk of it and throwing it away when the kids aren't looking. Several of my friends do the same. All the fun, half the calories and sugar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh boy, I got the spook village out yesterday and the lights for the yard and tree, the flag and the witch to put in the window. Big holiday at our house, HUGE!!!! My DH's favorite holiday and birthday so we go all out. I make cards for the whole family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Halloween seems to bring out a lot of fun and humor for many of us US stampers, I guess? I personally love all the Halloween cards and I send Halloween cards and receive 'em from stampin' friends, too! They just draw a smile and a giggle!

It's also a cool day for our family cuz it's my hubby's birthday!

We deck the house and enjoy all the kiddos in their costumes . . . :grin:

I'm not surprised to hear that Halloween is a billion dollar industry in the US--thanks for that tidbit, Joan! And, I'd venture to say quite a few US holidays are pretty commercialized, and, generally speaking, probably none more than Christmas! chuckle!

In hispanic culture, Nov. 1st and 2nd are the Days of the Dead, and in Latin America it is especially celebrated and full of religious significance, as well as fun and humor.

But, yes, I've gotten the sense that Halloween is, for the most part, not celebrated in Canada.

There are also plenty of folks here in the US that do not participate in Halloween festivities.

I guess I'm a "Bring the Spooks on!" kinda girl, myself . . . ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

And, we love haunted houses, and corn mazes, and visitin' the great punkin' patch for our annual jack-o-lantern carving, hay rides, and such!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I love Halloween! I just started stamping in the last couple years, so last year I made my first Halloween cards for my granddaughters, and I plan to do so again this year. I also decorate for Halloween/Harvest. The Halloween decorations come down the day after Halloween, and Harvest comes down after Thanksgiving. I also decorate for Christmas, Easter, & the 4th of July. We also decorate at work for these holidays. On Halloween night, I dress up as a cat (what else?) and go to my daughter's and pass out candy while my daughter & hubby are taking the girls out trick or treating. It's just good fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't think you are a "freak of nature"...maybe because I'm Canadian too. My SIL does Hallowe'en up and uses stamps to make fun treats for her son's class. I don't care for the dark side- no devil costumes will be seen in my house. We do carve pumpkins and trick or treat though, but don't decorate. I think that Hallowe'en is becoming bigger here as i see more outside decorations for it. I don't know who I would use a Hallowe'en card for but I'm sure that is coming too. I myself prefer Thanksgiving which is mid-October for us.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I LOVE Halloween! I love to carve pumpkins (intricate carving as well as Jack-o-lanterns) Some years I've done 2 dozen pumpkins, mostly intricatly carved, and decorated my lawn and front porch. I love to sew costumes. I love to make treat bags (usually hand out bags with halloween pencils, stickers, silly rings, and a couple of candies...I'm not big on all the sugar) I love to dress up. I MAKE Halloween cards, even though I don't send them to people! LOL!
I think halloween is a fun holiday to decorate for! Just another way to express my creativity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Halloween seems to bring out a lot of fun and humor for many of us US stampers, I guess? I personally love all the Halloween cards and I send Halloween cards and receive 'em from stampin' friends, too! They just draw a smile and a giggle!

It's also a cool day for our family cuz it's my hubby's birthday!

We deck the house and enjoy all the kiddos in their costumes . . . :grin:

I'm not surprised to hear that Halloween is a billion dollar industry in the US--thanks for that tidbit, Joan! And, I'd venture to say quite a few US holidays are pretty commercialized, and, generally speaking, probably none more than Christmas! chuckle!

In hispanic culture, Nov. 1st and 2nd are the Days of the Dead, and in Latin America it is especially celebrated and full of religious significance, as well as fun and humor.

But, yes, I've gotten the sense that Halloween is, for the most part, not celebrated in Canada.
There are also plenty of folks here in the US that do not participate in Halloween festivities.

I guess I'm a "Bring the Spooks on!" kinda girl, myself . . . ;)
Oh it is celebrated here, Julie,
Mid August the stores are full of Halloween stuff here. People deck out their homes to the nines. There are homes my kids wouldn't even walk up the driveways to, when they were little, because they were so scary.
It's just the sending of cards that I haven't encountered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Julia S.
I love Thanksgiving too. I do decorate for that at the end of September for my October Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Canadian to. Don't understand the halloween cards either or thanks giving cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=JulieHRR]In hispanic culture, Nov. 1st and 2nd are the Days of the Dead, and in Latin America it is especially celebrated and full of religious significance, as well as fun and humor.

Halloween comes from All Hallow Eve, which in the Catholic Church is the evening before All Saints Day, which is a Holy Day in the Church. It dates back to the ancient Celts, whose harvest year ended on October 31st, and the people dressed up in costume to scare away any spirit who would come back to haunt them. The Irish brought the Halloween custom to this country, but it dates way back before the birth of Christ.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

We love Halloween! I send cards to all my family and friends. It's just a fun holiday. A time to dress up, be silly and get treats. Our neighborhood does a dinner and a "trunk or treat". Everyone parks in a cul-de-sac, the street is blocked off we have dinner and then the kids parade by all the cars. It's very well attended. Some neighbors even decorate their car trunks. It's so nice to socialize and see all the kids. It ends at 8:30 and then everyone goes home and relaxes and we don't have to worry about answering the door for trick or treaters. We also decorate our yard and inside the house. But I decorate for every holiday!
Melisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04
Oh it is celebrated here, Julie,
Mid August the stores are full of Halloween stuff here. People deck out their homes to the nines. There are homes my kids wouldn't even walk up the driveways to, when they were little, because they were so scary.
It's just the sending of cards that I haven't encountered.
I see! Thanks for the clarification! Interesting!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittypaws
Halloween comes from All Hallow Eve, which in the Catholic Church is the evening before All Saints Day, which is a Holy Day in the Church. It dates back to the ancient Celts, whose harvest year ended on October 31st, and the people dressed up in costume to scare away any spirit who would come back to haunt them. The Irish brought the Halloween custom to this country, but it dates way back before the birth of Christ.
COOL!!!! TFS that info!!! I enjoy learning about that stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

I looooooooooooove Halloween...but then again it is also my birthday so that could play a huge part in it too........however, having said that, I have never sent out Halloween cards except for Halloween BIRTHDAY cards to my friend who shares that special birthday with me. But seeing the ones posted here makes me realize that I should be sending them out!!
I would go even more out for Halloween than I do but DH isnt a huge fan of the day :( But I have been known to dress up to hand out candy and I certainly decorate. Like one of the previous posters, I dont like the eveil creepy side of the holiday though.

Oh...BTW...I am Canadian too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

I don't send cards for Halloween, but I do make candy bag with cardstock toppers. My step children are 14 & 16 - no more trick or treating for them, so when they get up in the morning, there's a little cello bag filled with their favorite candies and a Halloween greeting. Just something fun I like to do for them and my hubby. Plus, I do one for my niece and my dad - I'm almost 37 and I spoil my daddy every chance I get!
Reply With Quote Likes