Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use to print the inside of your greeting cards?

I am wanting to do birth announcements for a friend of mine and am not sure how to print the inside of the the cardstock so the print comes out centered and on the right side of the card. I'll be making 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 verticle cards. So I'd like to be able to print one piece of 8 1/2x11 cardstock at a time and then cut it in half to get my two cards and the printing already be in them in the correct positioning.

I hope this is making sense to you all. Any help is greatly appreciated!

V.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Usually my cards are made out of colored cardstock. Then what I do is usually use white or vanilla for the inside of the card. I cut it 5-1/4" X 4" and then using Word I adjust the page setup to reflect the the size of paper and set 1/4" margins. Then I just type up whatever I want inside with a cute font and what color I want the font and print it.

I have two documents I save. One is called: Inside of card - horizontal and the other is called Inside of card - vertical. When I want to print the inside of a card I just open the document (depending which way my card is (horizonal or vertical) and retype the document and use it over and over. It works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #3  
Duchess of Dork

When my printer would let me put cardstock in (it chews it up now), I used Print Shop. It has a setting for using one sheet of cardstock to print 2 cards, tall or wide, per page. Hope that helps!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

i made baby shower invitations this week. i printed the all 'shower' information on white paper ( actually 6 info. pieces to a piece of paper) and then mounted it on colored cardstock. and then on the inside of the card. hope that makes sense and helps some they actually turned out pretty cute
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Ok, if I cut the cardstock down first then feed it in the printer I guess it would work, but I also like the idea of printing 6 info pieces to a page then cutting it.
How do you get 6 info pieces to be centered exactly where you want them on the cardstock?

I wish I had Print Shop...would make things even easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

oh and more questions...

Will our cardstock mess up a printer?
Will the cardstock come out curled kinda funny?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Default TRY VELLUM

You might try printing on vellum. Some of the nicer programs will let you reverse the print and this will appear on the back of the vellum and show through the front muted. Lovely effect. Or you can just print on the front of it.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 03:05 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I pllayed around with an excel spredsheet and had real success for invitations. I set the page to landscape and could print 2 at a time. Just be patient and do some test prints, once you have it...save it and it will work for any card you need to do in the future. It is well worth the time spent now...I am a terrible hand writer, so my cards look better with the printing inside, and if doing alot of cards, this is the only way to do it...good luck.

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 03:58 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found a pack of sticker paper (on e-bay) - each 8.5 x 11 sheet is divided into half sheets of sticker paper. (the two parts are actually mounted on the whole sheet of backing paper.)
I then played around with my (MSWORKS) document until I got the verses to fit - I can often get 10 or 12 on the whole sheet. I usually use fancy scissors to cut them apart - sometimes mount them plain on the card stock, or use small bits of mulberry paper randomly under the edges. Have also chalked the edges for a bit of color. have not tried this - but maybe using small stamps randomly - over the edges of the verse and on the cardstock would make it look less like a sticker.
I'll have to see if I can find something on Printshop that works better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

I have used US white with no problem in my printer, just change your paper type settings to heavyweight or what you have, all printers are different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 04:13 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a lot better with Excel than Word. I never thought of trying that. What a great idea! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 04:20 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do my printing in Word. I usually line it up by eye and then print on regular printer paper until I know that it's going to print where I want it to. I haven't had any problem with the printer eating the paper but I only feed it one sheet at a time.

If your printer can handle printing on picture paper, then it can handle our cardstock. Once you get something lined up in Word, save it for future use. Then you're only doing your measuring once.

HTH,
Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 04:29 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by virginia
Ok, if I cut the cardstock down first then feed it in the printer I guess it would work, but I also like the idea of printing 6 info pieces to a page then cutting it.
How do you get 6 info pieces to be centered exactly where you want them on the cardstock?

I wish I had Print Shop...would make things even easier.
I have used word and different programs like Print workshop and Greeting Workshop. They all work fine. If you used Word put the page into 2 or 3 columns to get the number of announcements you can fit on one page. In the other programs, you can usually place things where you want and get the most out of your sheet of Cardstock. You are trimming it anyway so if you need to center it a little more it isn't a problem. I have found when doing bulk card amounts that fitting as much on one page is a lot easier and cheaper. I also do a test page with just plain paper to see where things are coming out before I use my cardstock so I can make adjustments if necessary.

I have always used US and Confetti papers in my printer and never had a problem. I have a HP all in one printer. Love the thing! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 04:43 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I have done this NUMEROUS TIMES....

What I usually do is use MS Word and do either columns or tables and then type my text - depending on which way you are having the card open you would need to put it in landscape or portrait mode and make sure the margins are all set equal.

I usually print out on a piece of copy paper first and cut in half and see how it is going to work - sometimes I have to nudge the block of text up, down, right or left a little bit...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 05:38 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Default Sentiments

I'm not very good in MS Word but can do just about anything in MS Publisher. In Publisher, I divide the page in quarters with the layout guides, create a text box in the top right half, type in the sentiment with a cool font. Once I'm happy with the text, I duplicate for the lower right half and print the 8 1/2 x 11" page on the white card stock through my laser printer. This gives me two cards per sheet. I have, like Kathleen, saved a vertical and horizontal version. I have successfully printed white text on dark card stock as well. Remember to always print test sheets on good-one-side paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 05:44 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use MSPublisher to print both inside and outside of my cards. I use SU! Creating Memories fonts and find it easy to change wording for special occasions. My printer is a Lexmark All-In-One and no problem with cardstock. You just need to play with your spacing then save once you get it where you want.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I usually stamp inside my cards, but when I need to type text I use PrintMaster, it has the formats for tall / wide cards ready to go and you just type your text and print, then cut down the cardstock. US White or Vanilla go through my inkjet printer with no problems, if I really want to print on heavier CS I print a template on regular copy paper, and photocopy onto the CS using the bypass feed (no twists or turns) on the photocopier. HTH.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the labels in Word. Use label number 3263 for landscape and 5845 for portrait. You use a full sheet and can print it four times. If you just want one just print in one section. This works well for invitations and multiple cards. Then just trim the cardstock.

Stampin at the Beach
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I guess it all depends on the printer. I invested in a Cannon I9900 I think it is. And I can print things 13 x 19 in size in it. I print things on my Bazzill that is 12 x 12. It goes thru great and never had any problems printing on any idea paper or cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 09:32 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everyone for all these great ideas. I have plently to try out now...wish me luck.

Oh and the other reason I want to learn how to do this is so I can start cranking out wedding invitations as quickly and efficiently as possible. I don't want to have to spend a ton of time cropping cardstock to get it just right. I'd love to be able to just put in a sheet print it and cut it in half.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

here is the spredsheet I made up....not very fancy, but it works...edit to your hearts content....Rebecca
Attached Files
File Type: xls kats_birthday_186.xls (15.5 KB, 28 views)

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just a little FYI also to save ink. When you do your test prints, change your printer setting to fastdraft. It uses less ink but still give you an idea of where it will be. This is also good for when you are printing out things like articles, instructions...anything that you don't mind if the quality is not the best. It prints faster and uses so much less ink.
Reply With Quote Likes