Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get it all done?

I was wondering for those of you who have children, jobs and families; how do you get everything done and have time to stamp and scrapbook? I'm a stay-at-home mom and between entertaining two young children, cleaning, laundry, cooking, errands, activities and a hard-working husband, I find that I have minimal time to stamp once everyone and everything is taken care of. Do you ever feel guilty stamping and think you should be doing other things? Do you get 'stampers guilt creativity block' until you get your chores done and the children taken care of? I do and it drives me crazy.
Any ideas for getting everything done, not letting the house and family fall apart, and not feeling so guilty when I stamp would be great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get-It-All-Done-Guilt

Deb:

Rest assured, you're *not* the only one! My story is pretty much the same as yours...plus DH travels so often that I feel like a single parent more often than I'd like. DSs are 3 (4 next month) and 5...and they're climbers to boot!

One thing that really helps me: Flylady...which I'm sure around here is cliche and has been beaten to death by now. But it *really* helps me! It keeps me on track so that I *don't* feel guilty and so that when I am done with everything, I know that I can reward myself with some creative time.

The other thing: once a month, I schedule a time that I can leave the house for a minimum 12 hours to do nothing but scrapbook. I don't care what DH and the DSs do...I'm not a part of it. I love them, but for my sanity and for them to have "daddy time" I just need to escape. And I am entitled to do so! DH leaves for work every day and gets adult contact. He gets business dinners, business lunches, and this week alone four new stamps in his passport! I think that 12 hours once a month where I'm not demoing and not teaching my stamp-in-your-scrapbook techniques is *just fine*!

And remember - you don't have to sit down and try to tackle a huge stamping project all at once. Do some stamping one night, some cutting another night, maybe some detail work another night. So it takes a few days to get a project done...but if it helps to keep you balanced, the ultimate payoff is worth the wait.

Hang in there and do your best to stop feeling guilty! You're a much better mom because of your hobbies, even if you don't get to spend as much time as you like some times and more time that maybe you should have other times.... ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hey Deb,

I am a mother of 2, wife to a man who works evenings, and I work full-time outside the home teaching. I am also very active in my church, with the choir and crafts and such. I have found that if something is a priority, I will get it done. If it's not a priority, then I don't worry about it. Sometimes stamping is a priority and sometimes housework is. My house isn't perfect by any means, but it's clean and that's fine for me. I tend to do things in short increments. If I have an extra 15 minutes, then I will either stamp, clean, put in a load of laundry, or be with the kids. It all depends on what is most important at that moment. If I need a longe time frame to get things done, then I schedule that in. I also find that during the summer when I don't teach, I don't get as much done. Weird, but true. The biggest thing to remember is that if you spread yourself too thin doing everything, then you will not do anything very well. My kids always come first, though, that's a given. The time is there, you just need to use it wisely.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Hi Deb!

I am like you a SAHM of two small children ages 1 and 4, both boys. Wouldn't it be great if we were close by! What could be more perfect kids and stamping addiction in common!

I only started this stamping thing about 1 1/2 years ago. Before I had my first son, I worked full time. I have always been very crafty, I use to sew, paint christmas ornaments and whatever took my fancy.

Then I had my first son and I did nothing but take care of him and house. So after 2 1/2 years of doing nothing fun. I went to a StampinUp! party and found my new hobby! I remember my first big project was making my sons 3 year bday invitations. I hadn't gotten much stuff that was only a few weeks after that first party, I ran out to Micheals to get some more stuff, came home and was working and I mentioned to my DH how it felt good to be doing something I liked. Can you believe he had to the nerve to say I shouldn't have time for that :shock: . Really he is a great guy, just a little dense occasionally. Anyhow I gave him the riot act about even I a mother, soon to have a second baby, deserved some enjoyable me time.

So after a year and half the stamping has stuck and I have branched it into trying to scrapbook when I get a little time.

I can't say that I am the best house keeper. Things are clean, but boy do we have a clutter problem, I hate cleaning the kitchen (luckily DH cleans it up at night, usually), the laundry is so far ahead of me that if I ever get through it I will feel like I have some new outfits. What I am good at though, is being a #1 mommy! My kids are happy and very well cared for.

I catch time on this website through out the day in small quanities. Sometimes I stamp during the day, I take my stuff down to the kitchen table so I can watch the boys while I do my project. Mostly I might catch some creative time after DH has come home, but even more so after everyone is in bed. That wood explain some of the lack of sleep.

Nice to meet you.

My motto "if mommy ain't happy then nobody is happy"

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Default Re: Get-It-All-Done-Guilt

[quote="KaylynConover"]Deb:

DH leaves for work every day and gets adult contact. He gets business dinners, business lunches, and this week alone four new stamps in his passport! quote]

Good point Kaylyn, my DH doesn't understand how nice it is that he gets adult contact everyday. I think men that work outside the home take that for granted, I know mine says after the weekend he has to go back to work for a break! Where I spend my whole week at home with two adorable kids and when he comes home and ask me whats new I have to remind myself he doesn't mean on Seasme Street :lol: !

So we are definetly entitled to some me time doing something that we enjoy.

I am going to my first crop party next month with two childless friends! I used my Michaels 50% off Coupon yesterday to get myself the petite cropper suite casey like thing (see that is how much me time I get I don't even know the propper name for my new toy :lol: ) DH was like why do you need that? I told him I couldn't go toting my stuff in a shopping back the other girls all have the jumbo mack daddy version :o

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Location: I'm a member of the divine secret sister witness protection program!

I have been stamping for the last 1 year and a half and until four months ago was single. My world has turn upside down. Trying to jugle spending time with my wonderful boyfriend, his son (whom he has custody of) and my close friends... it's just crazy... and of top of all this I work full time. January was the hardest month of my life, so far, my boyfriend's ex kidnapped his son, my boss died of complications of phenmonia (sp?), and one of my dad's friends (who we traveled extensivly) was killed in a plane crash (he was flying the plane, my dad was also the mechanic). There were two lessons I learned through all of this... 1) I have a wonderful soul mate 2)Stamping keeps me sane!!! I've found a couple of tricks trying to stamp with a 2 1/2 (and yes another challenge he's autistic) year old running around... give the boy some stamps!!! Yep, I put him up in his chair give him washable ink and some stamps! He's a happy camper! Not to mention he's working on some motor skills!

Moral of the story.. there is always time to stamp... you just have to figure out how... cause let me tell you, I'm not about to give up sleep! lol
SCS member #16986
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Housework? Laundry? Dishes? Is that what I keep pushing away to get to my stamp table? OH! No wonder we don't have anything clean to wear....

But seriously, what has help me enormously has been to move my stamping space right into the living room with the kids. I put on a disney movie in the evenings, set them up with a snack or a game, and stamp away. It can get hectic and sometimes the kids try to take over, but this has been the only way I have found to stamp... other than go into sleep deprivation mode, which I find makes me a crabby mommy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #8  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have my stamping space right in the dining room/living room area... I can keep an eye on the kids, help them with homework and still see the kitchen to make sure nothing is burning!! ;) I have to find time otherwise I would go nuts!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

You didn't say how old your kids were but SU does sell kids stamp pads and markers, washable.
I purchased some cardstock from Micheals (we had a Grand Opening sale and they had cardstock for .99- 50 pk) and I also have some stamps that I purchase cheap, foam ones and ones for $1 ea at Michaels and my boys will sit at the table near me and stamp, glue, cut and crinkle (they love the paper krinkler).
I don't get as much done as I would like but it is some quality time with the kids creatively too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #10  
The Digi-Freak

Naptime baby!!!

I have a 2yo and 7mo and I stamp while the baby plays and the 2yo naps

And at night when all is still Dh play madden and I play scrapbook/stamping

Also, the 2yo helps me with chores so we get that done fast every morning.... we fold laundry in the morning and load dishes in the dishwasher while we make dinner. She's not always truly "helpful" but at least she's not making mischief while I cook/clean ;)

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a full-time working mom with a husband who is gone 5-6 days a week...cleaning is the last thing on my mind! I also had my stamp/scrap area right there in the family room/living room. I also stamp at my kitchen counter while I'm doing stuff around the house. I find that if I focus on keeping the house clean, then I really start to loose my mind. My hobby keeps me sane!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you get it all done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith2543
I was wondering for those of you who have children, jobs and families; how do you get everything done and have time to stamp and scrapbook? I'm a stay-at-home mom and between entertaining two young children, cleaning, laundry, cooking, errands, activities and a hard-working husband, I find that I have minimal time to stamp once everyone and everything is taken care of. Do you ever feel guilty stamping and think you should be doing other things? Do you get 'stampers guilt creativity block' until you get your chores done and the children taken care of? I do and it drives me crazy.
Any ideas for getting everything done, not letting the house and family fall apart, and not feeling so guilty when I stamp would be great!
My family is finally beginning to understand that I am a WAHM. Work at home Mommy. My design work and demonstratorship are my livelihood and contribute to the family income.

They are more understanding now, that there will be killer dust bunnies hiding under the china hutch, hot dogs for dinner on occasion, and some laundry back up when things are hectic with my work.

They are supportive now, but it wasn't always that way.

The hardest thing was getting them to understand that while I do stamp for pleasure and the joy of it, it's also my WORK. And, I WORK HARD.

My youngest still doesn't fully understand (he's , but my 15 yr. old dd is finally beginning to, when I explained to her that my income was going to help pay for her car insurance and the mortgage on another home we own (rental house currently without tenants)!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have three children, ages 7, 5 and 2, all 31 months apart.

I utilized flylady.com for a while, and incorporate her mantra into my daily routine (eliminate hot spots, get it done mentality).

I do not require vast amounts of sleep, and this adds to my available stamping/creating time.

Gear your family toward knowing that Mommy needs time to herself or she will go nuts. Give your entire family a demonstration if necessary. :lol:

I am soooo fortunate to have a dear husband that understand that I need time to myself.....every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I think flylady.com is the way to go to get some ideas too.
KSullivan said it best "If mommy ain't happy, then nobody is happy".
Everyone has been so helpful, THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Lower your housekeeping standards! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 05:47 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Default getting it all done

One thing no one has mentioned yet, is that the time is coming when you WILL have more time to stamp--you are in a season where your kids are young and do take a majority of your time/energy/life. It is right to "be all there" for them--raising our children is the most important job we have as mothers! Fitting in some "me time" on a once a month larger block basis (I've done that) or a grab the little time you have basis (I've done that) or the create right where the kids are basis (I do that) will be enough for this season. But just wait--a different season will come to you, as it has to me, and you will have more time and energy to give to stamping and you will love it! Especially if you have no regrets on how you've spent your children's younger years.

Hang in there--it is all good! Lauri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I know my house will never be perfect as long as my children are young. I do my best to keep it tidy. I usually spend a couple of hours each morning doing my cleaning routine, with a break in the middle to play with my dd. And she helps me sometimes. Then, when she goes down for a nap, if I feel like I've accomplished enough, I let myself sit down and play. I don't feel very good about myself if I play when I haven't done enough all morning. Even if I've been busy with errands all morning, if the house is a mess, I can't sit down and stamp.
That said, I'd better get cleaning!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:25 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I stamp at work :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stamp at night, when everyone is in the barn. The kids go out to feed their calves, my DH is milking, and I get at least 30-45 minutes with no one in the house! It is my saving grace. I also can stamp whiel they are doing homework! My kids are 10, 11, and 13.

I have a hard time ignoring the housework. My stamp area is in a corner of the laundry room. That is very bad, because I can always see the laundry waiting to be done. However, I also work outside of the home 36 hours a week, four nine-hour days, and I help on the farm when I am home, so I try to sneak in my stamping time whenever I can!

DH complained yesterday that the dining room table was covered again. I just ignore him. His dairy newspaper is still next to his recliner!

We all need our time!

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cleaning??? What's this???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I have to stamp/scrapbook daily or I go nuts...literally. I read something a few years ago that helped change my focus:

It was an article talking about why we women like to do these crafty things, be it decorating the house, sewing, scrapbooking, quilting, etc. It's because EVERYTHING else we do gets undone. Everything!! Think about it. Laundry, cleaning, cooking, errands, dusting (what's that?). When we craft, there's some evidence that we lived another day. I have albums full of my scrapbooking, I have a decorated (but dirty) home, and I send beautiful cards to people.

One more thing about having little kids. They're always leaving a mess, getting toys out, and leaving fingerprints. I learned when my teenager was young that there are only so many toys in the house and once they're all out, it can't get any worse, but if I pick them up, they can get pulled out again. And it does get better when they get older, it really does.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkhedgehog
It was an article talking about why we women like to do these crafty things, be it decorating the house, sewing, scrapbooking, quilting, etc. It's because EVERYTHING else we do gets undone. Everything!! Think about it. Laundry, cleaning, cooking, errands, dusting (what's that?). When we craft, there's some evidence that we lived another day. I have albums full of my scrapbooking, I have a decorated (but dirty) home, and I send beautiful cards to people.
This makes very perfect sense to me! I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I finish a card. And, that feeling lasts a loooooooong time.

But, after the kitchen is cleaned up after dinner I'll be so happy, and yet about bed-timeI'll wander back in there to turn out lights, and discover another dirty bowl from someone's ice cream . . . and I get that feeling of "never-ending chore" . . . and it depresses me.

Housework, in itself, is never-ending. Meal preparation is constant. There is never an "end" to it. Unless you're independently wealthy, of course, and can hire all that stuff out. . . sigh . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

No... Really! I pick a chore to be done for the day and that's what I do. Dust one day, Vacuum another, laundry the next! With children around you will never have a really clean house and it is never ending. I have been a SAHM for alomost 11 years and have done daycare for about the same amount of time. I went nuts for a while and had to train my DH that I needed my out time. My neighbor and I always found things we could go do whether it was shopping or whatever. Then we discovered Stamping! It was sanity in rubber form! My DH has figured out that I need adult people time other than him once in a while and my kids are now 11 and 17. It will get better and when your kids reach teen years you will find yourself having lots of time to stamp while you wait for them to get home at night!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 07:08 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I try to do the "heavy" cleaning one day. Keep it straightened up the rest of the time. My kiddos are old enough now to do chores and they should (hahaha) be able to do them correctly (hahha).

I thought this year would be great since my baby went to Kdgn and I would have more time to myself for thes things, but that was just a farse.

All in all you have to set a time aside to just work on it, I can't devote as much time as I would like, but I can always get time to start and complete a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

pinkhedgehog wrote:
Quote:

It was an article talking about why we women like to do these crafty things, be it decorating the house, sewing, scrapbooking, quilting, etc. It's because EVERYTHING else we do gets undone. Everything!! Think about it. Laundry, cleaning, cooking, errands, dusting (what's that?). When we craft, there's some evidence that we lived another day. I have albums full of my scrapbooking, I have a decorated (but dirty) home, and I send beautiful cards to people

Thanks for putting my frustration into words.
Now I can explain to my DH better why I do what I do and need to do it to be a better person I hope my English teacher doesn't see this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith2543
pinkhedgehog wrote:

Thanks for putting my frustration into words.
Ditto! There is something so frustrating about finally having that last piece of laundry out of the dryer, folded, and put away....only to discover a few hours later the hamper already half full.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a stay at home stamper/scrapper mom. Gotta get those priorities straight!
Seriously, I have four kids, and a DH in the military. So, I'm kept pretty busy. Besides housework( doing 4 loads of laundry a day!), I'm errand and carpool mom. Between gymnastics, soccer, football, dr. appts., and church, it's kind of hard to find time to stamp, besides being a demo!
What helps- stamping/scrapping during naptimes, after bedtime, and when DH can take them to practices and events. Other than that, I just fit it in whenever. It helps to have a space to leave it laid out. That way, I just go back whenever I have a spare minute.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I work full-time from home as a medical transcriptionist, homeschool two of my three children, AND am a SU! demo. How do I do it all? I don't. My house is usually NOT immaculate (not even close). I am working on having the children pick up behind themselves AND do chores as well. What worked well for me earlier in the year was paying them. I made up a chart and put different things on it for them to do. For each task, they got a check mark. For 25 check marks, they got $2. They didn't realize what a bargain I was getting and the girls competed with each other to see who would get more. My girls are 8 and 10 and they can dust, fold clothes (but I do the hanging clothes), sweep, mop (w/the Swiffer Wet Jet), clean the bathroom, vacuum and do dishes. They also got "gimme" checks - easy stuff, like brushing their teeth twice daily, putting away their folded laundry, making their beds, and picking up their room. I was washing clothes, hanging what didn't get folded, and cooking. That's it. Unfortunately we have gotten off that track and my house is definitely messier. I have lowered my standards for housekeeping. I do very simple meals that I can put together in 20 minutes. And I stamp at night when it's quiet!

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes