Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #1  
LOSTchick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy from a Texas lurker!

Let me start by saying that I LOVE this site! I've been lurking here for awhile, soaking up all of these amazing cards and ideas that are posted. I feel that I already know some of you just by the number of your cards that I've drooled over and from seeing your pictures. As soon as I figure out how to post my picture I will. Of course, I'll have to find one since I am the one always taking pictures!

My name is Melissa, and I live in a small town about an hour's drive outside of Austin (it's also about an hour's drive from San Antonio). My husband and I have been married 10 years, and we have two great kids. Travis is 7 and will start 2nd grade and Allyson is 5 and will start Kinder.

I taught 3rd grade for 11 years and 4th grade for 1 year. I am now a SAHM, and I'm loving every minute of it. I don't know why it is, but I feel that I'm busier now than when I taught full time!

I look forward to becoming more involved in this group. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas that you talented stampers have posted... I hope to get my creative juices flowing and to one day do such quality work.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Melissa, we are practically neighbors then! Where are you?

And welcome, by the way! So excited to see another Texan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Hi fellow Texan! I live in Temple. I'm mainly a lurker, but I love this board and all the great ideas.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:03 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

My name is Stormy and I live in Mont Belvieu 45 minutes out of Houston. Welcome!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:46 PM   #5  

Hi Melissa,
Welcome to the best stamper site on the web! I'm in Texas too, but I'm farther up north in the Dallas area. I'm also a SAHM, and I know what you mean by being more busy now than when you worked! Now that you've come out of lurking, this site will take up a HUGE amount of time. So be prepared to juggle that in too!
Jill

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:59 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Melissa,

I'm up here in N. Texas but my hometown is down there, right by you.

I always wondered how many Texans are on here. Anyway glad you're here. You will learn so much from this site, I know I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Howdy! My name is Ann (aka Norwaytroll) . I'm part of wacky group from The Woodlands, TX (You know who you are!). So happy you came out of your stamping closet!!! Look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Greetings, fellow Texans, from the western part of the state! I am a lurker too, living in El Paso, at the foot of the Franklin Mountains and surrounded by the Chihuahuan Desert. Any other El Pasoans lurking out there?
My name is Annick, and I have been stamping for about 7 years. I think this site is worth every penny - and then some! - of the donation I sent in a few weeks back!
I have been married for 21 years, no kids, but am "mom" to a great dog named Molly and two cats named Sophie and Tiger. And foster mom to a Collie Rescue dog named Martin who has been with us for almost 6 weeks now.
Like Beate, I am also originally from Germany (from the beautiful city of Munich) but came to the US with my family when I was a child. My parents and brother (and his wife and two children) all live in Iowa (hello, Ames!), but the rest of my relatives are scattered across Europe.
I work part-time as a supervisor in a non-profit used bookstore where we raise funds to help support the library branches on our side of town.
I'm feeling a little strange coming out of hiding, so to speak...so I'm retreating now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Hi Melissa,

Somehow I missed this thread on Wednesday. Wanted to say welcome too. I am right here in San Antonio with Jen Stevenson, ChiChi and of course Jenn!
You will have to drop by when you come to town....and of course we will expect to see you at the Regional in February! Right?

Good to have another Texan here! Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Count me in as a lurker from Texas. I'm in NW Austin. Not a demo yet, but sure have been thinkin' more about it lately. I too have been inspired by all the wonderful cards and ideas posted on this site. Thanks to everyone!

-Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Yeah to Angie!

There are wonderful demos in Austin! We met some last Saturday and will meet many more on our next stamp camp August 7th.

Take the plunge, take the plunge....it's wonderful. You will love it!

Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 05:10 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Ok, so I know I'm no longer from Tx but just had to say hey! to Annick! I am from Carlsbad, NM so I was only about 2 hrs away. We used to go down to El Paso and shop the malls and and shopping centers. I miss the food so much! I would even settle for Tex-Mex at this point! Good thing I can cook! lol

I lived in Longview Tx about 6 yrs. My son was born there. Spent a lot of time in Midland/Odessa too. Oh and cant forget Lubbock. lol

We would occaisionally get visitors to the Carlsbad Caverns Nat'l Park (especially Europeans) who would tell us they had panic attacks and were so glad the trip between El Paso and Carlsbad was over. Too much of nothing for them to handle. I grew up in the shadow of the Guads and El Capitan (the highest mountain in TX) on a ranch so desolation is nothing new to me. Couldn't understand their fear until I moved to East Tx and saw how close everyone was to each other. lol
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Howdy! I'm new to the site too. Also a Texan (went to College in your area but live in North Texas now) and a perfected lurker! Welcome to the site! Looking forward to sharing ideas and getting to know you. Cristen
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Hey! Melissa (Mel) in Alaska! I was excited to read your post and see that you were practically a neighbor! It's been a while since I was in the Carlsbad area, but my husband took two Lithuanian military students from Ft. Bliss (which you are probably also familiar with) to the Caverns in February and had a blast. We are hoping to get up to McKittrick Canyon for a fall colors hike this year.

Isn't it a shame that people think the desert is full of "nothing?" If they would just take the time to go out into it, they would see that it teeming with wonderful plants and animals. But I guess I can appreciate the panic attacks that newcomers have; when I head north, I am sometimes overwhelmed by all the green. It's all a matter of what you're accustomed to, I suppose. How long has it been since you lived in this area?

Not to make you too homesick or anything, but this morning at the farmers' market they were roasting chile. Love the smell, love the flavor, gotta have it at least once/week! Last summer my best friend came for a visit from Iowa and she and I peeled, seeded, and froze 30 lbs worth...all gone now, so it's a good thing the season is upon us again!

BTW, is the PM an optional thing, or does everyone who registers automatically get it? Is it possible to not have it?
Annick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #15  
LOSTchick

Default HOwdy from Texas

HI Cristen!

Where exactly did you go to college? I went to SWT (Go Bobcats!), and graduated in '91.

I find that I am spending more and more time on this site. Boy, is it ever addicting. My problem is is that there is so much to see and learn that I can't do it all at once! My husband thinks I've gone crazy!

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Welcome, Melissa and all you other Texans out there. I am part of the wacky Woodlands group Ann mentioned. (We do have lots of fun together.) My name is Terri and I'm not originally from Texas, but as the saying goes, I got here as fast as I could! I am a SAHM too, but only have one child, who is entering 5th grade, so I have more time for stamping than I used to. Of course, a lot of that free time is spent on this awesome site....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Default Howdy from South Texas!

I'm WAY down south in Kingsville, TX (south of Corpus Christi) and I just found this site today! I've been with SU for about a year and half, and I'm almost just as new to stamping. I'm also a SAHM or as I like to refer to it, a Research Associate in Child Development, Human Relations, and Domestic Engineering! I've got a 4 yr. old, a 2 yr. old, and a 3 mo. old, so I don't have much time for stamping, but I cherish any time I can get to myself and my stamps! If I can get away from the kids, I'll definitely be at the San Antonio Regional. I hope to meet some of you there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 08:22 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Terri and the other Texas stampers! LOL about getting here as fast you can. My husband is from England and totally doesn't get the "Native Texan" pride thing but he's learning. I was born and raised outside of Houston in a town called Pearland (the Woodland crew might know where that is). I moved all of 180 miles northwest to Austin to go to school (UT -- Hook'em Horns!) and stayed!

Beate, so you don't have to be a demo to attend regionals? Just in case I don't make demo status by Feb -- San Antonio here I come!!

-Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2004, 04:36 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Angie!! I know where you live. I am 45 minutes out of downtown and 15 minutes from Baytown if that helps give you an idea. Yep HOOK EM HORNS!!!!!!

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yva I know how you feel. I have a 5yr, 4yr. and a 2yr old. So how do you pronounce your name? I am wanting to say Eva but I don't think that is right. Anyway I do have trouble finding time to stamp. Most of the time I do it when my youngest ones are asleep and well that is rare.

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, I had to post and say "Hello" as I am another one in the "wacky Woodlands group." We do have a great group!!

I do know where Pearland is, because my mom lived there and I have other family still there. It is really growing down there! I was just there a couple of weekends ago and was amazed at the changes!

I also am a SAHM to two boys, 12 and 5. I know what you mean about staying busy. My mom is constantly telling me to slow down, but with two boys that is impossible!

My sister graduated UT and is still a big fan of the Longhorn football team!

Welcome to the best stamping site out there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2004, 04:47 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome Melissa!! Lurking from Texas?? Glad you decided to unlurk! I'm north of the DFW area in Texas, but definitely plan on returning to San Antonio for regionals! See ya there!
Smiles, TexasGrammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2004, 07:25 PM   #23  
LOSTchick

Default Howdy from a Texas lurker!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I finally have an avatar... Joy was very sweet to help me with it. :lol:

I am no longer a demonstrator, but one of my best friends "took my place" so I've already told her I want to tag along at regionals. One year I took her to Houston so hopefully it will work out that she can take me this year! If I am able to make it there, I would enjoy meeting everyone.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes