Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you lost your stampin' "mojo?"

What do you do to get it back? :confused:

I've been an SU demo for three - almost four years. I love to stamp and scrapbook....I have a dedicated workshop for just that. I had to take some "time off" doing the demo thing while we packed, moved and unpacked. My goal was to get started back with workshops and stamp camps in September, but I'm in no hurry. We just moved and I have unpacked and set up my stampin' space. I had it done just in time for VSN this past weekend, yet I couldn't bring myself to stamp anything! It's been this way for some time. I earned a bonus through SU, placed an order and that has been the ONLY order that I've placed out of the new catalog! I really love all the new stamps and accessories in the catalog...I want them, I just haven't ordered because I know I won't use them when they come. I surf SCS galleries looking at all the beautiful creations, read the forums, look at magazines....everything....anything....to get some spark of inspiration back, but everytime I walk into my stamp room, I just stare at all my stuff and think, "What the crap?" WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Okay....anyone? If you haven't lost it....how do you keep it?!?!? When do you have time - or should I say make time - to stamp if you are a SAHM with two small children? I used to stamp all the time when I had just one, but WHOAH! when the second one came along....I guess that's when my stampin' mojo (not to mention the other mojo) went out the window! :cool:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlsjohnson
Okay....anyone? If you haven't lost it....how do you keep it?!?!? When do you have time - or should I say make time - to stamp if you are a SAHM with two small children? I used to stamp all the time when I had just one, but WHOAH! when the second one came along....I guess that's when my stampin' mojo (not to mention the other mojo) went out the window! :cool:

No wonder your mojo is gone. That is a lot of energy you must spend looking after your girls. I confess that even now, my mojo is gone. I was all geared up to working on a specific technique tonight and realized one of the essential supplies is missing. What a downer. I was SO EXCITED to try it. Now I'm here online and may stubble on something I want to do.
Another thing to get your mojo going is to try the weekly challenged or go back to ones that you've missed if you do them regularly. That usually gets me going.
Another things I do is clean my area. I don't mean just to put things in a cupboard or drawer but do some major sorting. I usually come across paper or certain embellishments that I forgot I had and that will spark a project.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

You need Jeanne S. to thwap you with the inspiration stick....
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I been suffering from no mojo syndrome for a long time. Last month I joined a card group at the lss. I made 6 cards w/ the first kit and 7 card & an altered clip magnet with the most recent one.

You said you moved, did you move in the same area or long distance? If long distance, maybe you could find a group to get together with and that would help get the creative juices flowing again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

How big is Jeanne S' stick? Hee Hee.

I actually moved in the same town....all the same great friends and customers. One of my best friends - Melissa (mreineke) is so bummed that I've lost my mojo. She's really tried to encourage me to stamp or something! I was just over at the challenges checking out the color and sketch challenges. I'm sitting here on the couch - exhausted - it's almost 10:00 here in Atlanta and there is no way I can start a project tonight. The challenges look great, so maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow.

What are you all working on - if anything?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I find I've lost a lot of desire to stamp also. I too have sat at my stamp table and just sighed looking at all the stuff I have.....Like, "Now What?" I just don't want to do it at all right now. I'm really hoping that it returns because I just joined a stamp club and I don't want to think I signed up to spend money every month on something I'm 'growing out of'...I have SO much stuff, and I think the finished cards are wonderful, I just don't want to DO it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Paperkat - While I am not glad that you have started to loose your mojo, I am glad that I'm not the only one. I just can't believe I have all these stamps, paper and ink pads (not to mention accessories) that are just sitting there....all lonely and cold. We won't even talk about the investment of $..:rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I had severe back pain during the summer and had three steroid epidurals and have been going to physical therapy 2 or 3 times a week. I'm better now, but when I was in pain (all spring and summer) I lost my mojo. If I felt ok, I'd try to make a card, but hated all of them. I felt totally uncreative. What helped me change though, are a few things. First, I stopped making cards for awhile and started scrapbooking for the first time ever. It was a challenge but I appreciated the fact that it was something different. The last few weeks I have started making cards again. As a starting point, I use the layouts that are featured in the front of each SS mag and then go from there. I also bought about $100 worth of ribbon to inspire me. I often pick a ribbon for its colors and then match the cardstock to it and then pick a stamp. I find I have to be at peace with myself in order to be able to stamp. My advise to you is not to push it. Sooner or later your mojo will come looking for you. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Don't put pressure on yourself. This happens to me too and am in a slump right now. Have only stamped twice in the last month and I used to always stamp at least 5-10 hours a week. Now it takes a new set to get me going. Problem is that I never lose my ability to spend money on stuff. It just sits there. It will come back, always has, but I know the feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

My creative mojo (stamping, writing, music, etc.) ALWAYS disappears with stress - even if it's good stress, like a move to a better home. Not a mother yet, but I'm sure two small children don't help!

During my low-mojo periods, I copy shamelessly. It's one of the reasons my gallery is so small. ;-) It took me a while to get over the "but I could really make an original" guilt, but then I realized I've got serious $$$ invested in my papercraft supplies. I bought them to use them, not stare at them, so I'm gonna use them even if it means walking in someone else's design shoes. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

When my mojo is low I force myself to make something for someone else. That way I have a purpose and I feel better when I send it to them.

I also do yoga to stay balanced. My mojo goes when classes end for a while. Not that that helps you, but stick with it and have fun!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.--Winston Churchill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

RAK somebody!!! Nothing makes me feel better than making something for a friend or a complete stranger!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE the challenges here at SCS - have you ever tried playing in the challenge forum. I find that working within defined parameters really gets my creative juices going much better than having an enormous, open-ended decision to make.

Another thing that has been fun is a challenge that I give myself periodically to see what I can do with just one stamp. Not a box load or a group, but one stamp - how many different events can I cover with say just a cupcake?

Hopefully your mojo will return soon - if not give yourself a break and don't push it. Sometimes walking away and just reading a book or going for a walk may be a better option. It will come back when you least expect it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

hey me too!! just sit there and stare at all that stuff - so I decided I am getting rid of the sets I never use and going to use that money for new stamps-- just got the new TAC catalogue and am hoping that some very cheap (!) sets from there will get me going
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

This happened to me--it was about 7 months or so. I just left everything set up and looked at it every now and then. Every once in awhile I would go and play with it, but never really got into it. The feeling went away on it's own after awhile. I think it just has to do with everything else going on or overload. There is a season for everything, and I hope your stampin mojo comes back all on it's own one fine day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Me too. The worst part is though is that I have nothing but time on my hands! I don't have any childern yet, and my car is broken down so I can't even get a job. I used to stamp for hours each day just to give me something to do, but now I just can't make a good card. I just ordered a bunch of stuff, and now I feel like my problem is that I don't have enough stuff. I did a trade recently and the lady threw in a few pieces of hodgepoge to make up the price difference, and now it's almost all gone, and I feel like my cards look really bad without it. So now I'm like, okay when I get some more hodgepodge, I can make cards again...LOL. But I do this all the time, I feel like if I had more ribbon I could make some more cards, but I just ordered 2 rolls. I think i'm doomed to spend way to much money that I don't even have to get my groove back;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the TAC set, Hip Hardware....then you can stamp it in Versa Mark and heat emboss it with metallic powders! I just got it and it's great!
I think we all go through what one of the DDD used to call 'rubber rot'....when we have no desire to stamp and, when we do, everything turns out awful! The encouraging word is that it will pass. Just don't stress out about it. It's always something different that does it for me...a new set, a piece of interesting fabric, a picture in a magazine...it could be anything, and I'm off and stamping again![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: In my Happy Place with no one bothering me....I hope!

I have found that when I can't seem to get inspired that if I go through my favorite gallery....print out a couple of cards that I really love, then CASE them, I seem to get my mojo back. As I start to make the card I will change this here or that there and soon enough, I start feeling in the groove again!
I also agree whole-heasrtedly with EllenH....the challenges are a great way to kick start a creation. Gives you a sketch or group of colors to use and part of the work is done. You would be amazed!
Hope this helps!! I'm sure once you are really settled in your home and the kids are back in a "routine", then you will get it back......we all go through it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:29 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my mojo back this week, so I know exactly what you're going through. It's so frustrating--esp. when you look at all the stuff you've got and think of the dollars invested, just sitting there doing nothing. Where's the joy?!?! This time, it was my mom's birthday that got it going for me. I decided to make her a saddle stitch book about the lessons she's taught me. (I've had the kit for six months just sitting there...). I dove in and wow, the mojo just reappeared!

It can't be forced, and you should try not to worry about it because it WILL return. All the suggestions above are good ones to try, esp. doing something for someone else as it forces you to think outside yourself and your slump.

You'll get it back! Please let us know when you do and how you did it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:32 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

A stamp camp is a great booster. At the last one, I made ten different cards. I didn't have to do the planning or preparing--just make them. That gave me inspiration to get started again after almost a month away on vacation. Also gave me some great ideas for using supplies I already had and some colour combinations I wouldn't have thought of using together.

Sometimes it helps just to prepare a bit of the card. Just starting something is often the hardest part. Once you get going, the inertia passes.

Another thing that's fun is to make a bunch of easy cards (maybe even without any stamping at all) just with a panel of stickers--like "How many cards can I make with this panel?" I made eight once! That little experiment gave me ideas for layouts and colour combinations I can use with stamps.

Another idea is to pull out one set that you haven't used for a while and just play with it. See what you can do.

Sometimes just working your way around the edges of a project doesn't seem as overwhelming as the whole thing. "Step by step."

Sometimes it's fun just to pick a piece of designer paper and see how many things you can do with it. I can make nine (or more) easy cards from one piece.

Sometimes I have too many ideas from SCS or magazines. Then I force myself to pick just one card to copy. That way I focus and can be more productive. "One thing at a time." That usually sparks other ideas.

Other times I just pick up a partially completed project and finish it. That is a good feeling.

Another good feeling is just to use "one" of all those wonderful supplies you have on hand. One time I made a set of cards using just my green metallic ink, and clear embossing. It kept things simple and got them done. It was surprising how how many stamps looked elegant with it. I also set myself other limits, such as "just use pastel colours".

I think our perfectionism sometimes creeps in and we think we have to do something stupendous when often simple is wonderful.

Or to learn one new technique.

Sometimes I need to be all alone with a block of time. That might happen if a friend takes your girls for an afternoon. I think it takes about twenty minutes just to get "in the flow." It's sometimes hard to create if constantly interrupted, unless you already know what you are creating and are well on the way.

We all go through this. "This too shall pass."

Every blessing.
Honey Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:41 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I lost it for almost a year, so much stress, on meds. I just didn't have it anymore, but recently got it back. Life is just to short to not take the time to do what you love. Someone I know, my age, just had a stroke and her hubby just took her off life support. She was the one who got me into scrapbooking, which of course led to stamping. She left behind 5 kids. You just have to create, to keep you really young and your soul healthy. I have discovered that. Her youngest child is my son's age, 10. Take some me time, go into that room and get some paper out and just stamp. You don't have to stamp with a purpose in mind, you just need to do it because your soul requires it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I knew I could count on you ladies to lend a bit of encouragement! I have enjoyed reading all your posts this morning. Today, I am planning to work on some decorative monogram letters that I picked up at Michaels for my girls' room. I am going to cover each letter with designer paper and embellish. I'll take pictures and post them when I'm done.

One of my goals, too, is to do some of the challenges. I used to love those...still do, just have to make myself do them! LOL!

And for all of you who are in the "no mojo" boat with me, let's try to do something creative today! Let's report back and see how we did!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Im in the Mojo Boat! Lost without a paddle!!!!! SOS!

I just moved also, went to closing last thursday!! YIPPEE!! ANYWHO....... I will try to get inspired with you! I have my room all set up, you think that would inpire me alone, Nope nothing. This is my first stamp room also! GRRRR, I also am a sahm with two lovely princesses!!! Daddy works second, so we are alone alot. I think I might check out the challenges, I have never tried any of them. Maybe today will be a new day for all the ones in your boat! Get the margaritas, and lets party!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Default Heeeere, Mojo, Mojo, Mojo...

When I'm feeling that way, I pull out an my altered "inspiration" book. I picked up a hardback book for a quarter at a yard sale, then cut out about 1/2 the pages. When I'm just not feeling "it" anymore, I'll pull out that book. Smear some ink around, slap on some paint. Doodle. Write or stamp quotes about inspiration and creativity (I have a Word document where I cut and paste everything I run across online). This book is just for me, and I personally find it rather fun to just play, without worrying whether the design works well together, or where to place an embellishment. And I have stumbled onto some fun color combos along the way!!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:04 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I lost mine throughout the beginning of this pregnancy. I actually almost GAVE AWAY my entire stamp & scrap collection. I own 400 stamp sets!! I just didn't want them to be around me. I couldn't stand them. As I started to feel better I started scrapbooking & stamping again. My oldest 2 just started school on Monday so I am at home with my two little boys (agest 20 months and 4 years). They really need my full attention!! So, this is what I do. I take them somewhere fun in the morning like the library, the mall, the zoo, the park, Wal-Mart, and then at nap time I don't feel guilty having my 4 year old watch TV while I stamp. I also have been getting up and showering at 7 in the morning. All summer I would wait until the afternoon to shower. It has made a huge difference, then in the afternoon I can get some things done. I also scrapbook at night while my kids are in their beds, tucked in for the night.

I do understand losing your mojo. Sometimes I just go in my stamp room and sit but that is still nice. I go through spurts of energy to stamp. I agree that sending a RAK helps with that.

Good luck!
Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I ALWAYS have a better day if I get up before my girls and get showered and dressed. That doesn't happen as often as I like...at least I do bathe at some point though, right? :mrgreen:

Robyn, I actually got to the point where I wanted to get rid of all those stamp sets just so I wouldn't feel guilty for not using them. I knew that there would be no way to get back even half of the money I had invested. I don't really want to get rid of them....I really want to use them. So, here in my stamp room, they sit...all neat and organized...ready for stamping....possibly today!:-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

You can do it!!! I am so happy that I have been using my stuff for scrapbooking for the past few months. I am almost caught up to May of this year!!!! I did 7 two-page spreads just yesterday!! What am I going to do once I am caught up?? I guess I could start working on more cards, huh.

Have a great day!!
Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Alright Rachael, I made a card today!!! HIP HIP!!!

How did you do? Hopefully you made one also!

I would post it, but I am on crap dial up and there aint NO way! LOL!!

Have a great night
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Okay...maybe this counts. I did not stamp, however I did cover some large monogram letters with patterned paper (for my girls' room) and got them ready to stamp and embellish.

So glad you stamped a card! How did it feel? Any sign of any mojo? We probably need to think of another word other than "mojo." I just saw some nasty spam posted....that's a first!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 03:56 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

ewww more spam? Whats up with that?

I think your letters count, anything not having to do with your house and kids should. IMO! I want to make those for my daughters room also.

I dont think the "mojo" is back, but I am feeling a smidge more motivated. Hmmmm, I cant think of a better word right now, its to early and I have to go to the gyn. this morning. I really love going there, NOT! So maybe while Im waiting for forever for the dr, a better word will come to mind. Have fun today!
Reply With Quote Likes