Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2005, 05:52 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your BEST stamp room idea

I am moving to a bigger home on post in about a 4-6 weeks, and I will be getting a room to stamp !!! YAY I have browsed all the gallery photos of your rooms and organizing ideas, and i all about drool at some of your spaces, ideas, etc. :lol: :oops: Anyhoo, now I am needing your BEST stamping room idea. It can be either your best idea or your best *dream* idea. I have started a list of what I want to do to the room (it isnt all that big, but I will have a closet). so, some ???s I also have...
1. I want pegboard on the walls- those that have pegboard, is it great or not so good to have? how do you hang it on the walls?
2. Loose stamps from various other non SU companies....I have tried almost all the ideas so far I have seen in the gallery...nothing seems to work for me....making me nuts!! lol This is one of my organizing peeves....lol

OK, thank you for your help with this!! I am excited to get a room to stamp, yet I have to do another move without my husband and I have 3 kids!! :?
Your input is very valuble to me...you gals are the coooolest chicks on the net!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #2  
Total Quack

Hmmmm.... I will have to think about the best idea.

Your questions, though -
Quote:

1. I want pegboard on the walls- those that have pegboard, is it great or not so good to have? how do you hang it on the walls?
Yes - I love my pegboard!!! I hang my tools - brayer, crimper, scissors, etc. on it. We put a frame of 1 x 2 boards around the area that we wanted the pegboard. We then screwed the pegboard to the frame. That gave enough room behind the board to use the pegboard thingies (technical term, ya know?!). Works beautifully.

Quote:

2. Loose stamps from various other non SU companies....
For this, I would suggest a mechanics tool chest thing (the big red ones from Home Depot). I use tackle boxes, but I don't get those stamps out much anymore because I became a demo. If you use the stamps a lot, you will want them easily accessible.

I'm still thinking on the best idea. I love having cabinets above my table. That saves soooooo much space. I also love my little cart that I bought and finished. It holds my eyelet stuff, embossing powders, punches, etc. It is wonderful.

You can see my stamp room in my gallery.

Congratulations on your room!! Have a wonderful time setting it up and getting it organized. I know you will LOVE it!!!!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:14 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Shell~ thanks for the reply and YOUR room is one that I DROOOOOOL over!! lol I was like WOWOOWOWOWOW lol nice room!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm getting my room in about 6 weeks too!! I am so glad you posted this because I am looking for new ideas as well.

Here's my situation - once my baby turns 1 she will start sharing a room with my other daughter. My older daughter's current room will become my stamp studio/the play room. Here's what I am planning on doing - I will be putting shelves up on the top halves of each wall. All my supplies will be up there. This room also has a walk in closet where I will have a table set up and gridwall somehow hung on the wall. This way I can pull out a table and set it up for large projects/having stamping parties... or I can work by myself at the table in the closet. The closet door will close and lock. The girls will have the entire floor space to play and not worry about getting into my stamp stuff.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR MY DD'S FIRST BIRTHDAY!!!

Good luck!
Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a large, old printer's tray for some of my loose stamps. They can be quite expensive, but I got mine for about $5.00. It's useful and looks great hanging on the wall, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #6  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
Shell~ thanks for the reply and YOUR room is one that I DROOOOOOL over!! lol I was like WOWOOWOWOWOW lol nice room!!
Thank you!!!! I love my room, but it took a long time to get to that point. I started in the basement - in both of my houses! LOL! I had to take over the library in this house, once I moved upstairs. Of course, the library had to move, too, so it took over the playroom. LOL! We just did a fruit basket turnover! LOL!

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have a stamp "room" but a stamp "area of the basement." The thing I like best about it is that I have almost everything within reach.

I have a big table in front of me with iris carts underneath. Next to me is an office supply store paper slot storage box w/ the stamp pads and markers on top of that. Behind me is another dresser for cutting and shelves above with storage drawers and mags ect. It is kind of like an alley. I use a swivel office chair.

My space is not the beautiful room that I have planned in my mind! but it really works for me because I can sit down and everything has a place, and I can reach the stuff I use very easily.

maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:49 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

my husband built me a shelving unit that is amount right above the desk. it has 4 slots that are designed to hold the ink pads for each color family. LOVE IT!!!! They are all within reach! then we mounted a flourescent light WITH AN OUTLET on the underside of the shelving unit. works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, you guys have great ideas. I too, am redoing my stamping/used to be dining room. Yesterday I moved my computer desk out to make more room. I bought a big cabinet from Target (on sale this week for 44.00) and will be storing all my stamps in there out of sight. I have iris carts too for all the small stuff. I am going to go get some plastic cheap shoe boxes to store my non SU stamps and try to group them by what they are then put labels on them so if I am looking for say a palm tree, I will got to the tropical box. My SU stamp sets (getting more every day) will be on their sides on another shelf with large labels so I can find them easily. I bought some 5/16" sash rods that my ribbon fits on perfectly and I will hang them either on the doors or on the back part of the cabinet above the stamp sets. I will post before (ugh) :shock: & after shots when I am done.
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:55 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, I also got myself an ott-lite on ebay for $24 & $10 shipping to go with my new room. I love it.
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lweller
then we mounted a flourescent light WITH AN OUTLET on the underside of the shelving unit. works like a charm.
Great tip about the light WITH OUTLET. I'll keep that in mind as I am also getting ready to revamp my stamp room.

My room is only 10.5x12 and I want to be able to hold my stamper's club in my stamp room. (Right now, I have to drag my conference table to the den each month. What a pain.) I'm going to remove the doors to the closet (which is 2 ft deep and 2.5ft wide.) Then I'm going to buy a 6ft table that folds up in the center so I can keep it in the closet and only pull it out when people come over to stamp. I hope it turns out the way I have it envisioned!

I'm going to get a set of wall mounted cabinets and a set of floor cabinets and drawers with a countertop on those.

My dh is giving this to me as a 10th anniversary gift. He just doesn't understand how entailed I plan to get. :lol:

Merrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 07:05 AM   #12  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,078 Likes on 858 Posts

For my stamps I bought large plastic drawer boxes from Walmart. They hold a lot and are stackable. When stacked you can pull out the drawers to get to your stamps. I store the stamps by category. I have Valentines together, Spring, Christmas, Florals, Words, etc. in separate drawers. Stamps that I've purchased from other places (loose) I store in empty SU stamp boxes. I've bought some from e-baby, but my demo has told me that she will buy some for me if I want. This works for me. I have a stamp room, but it is so disorganized right now. I'm getting rid of the bed in there today and so will be able to put more shelves in there to get things organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 07:12 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default stamp room idea - loose stamps

To corral those loose non-SU stamps, I use Sticker Cases and Rubber Stamp Cases that I got at JoAnns . The STicker case is smaller than the rubber stamp case, so it will slip into a plastic drawer easily - the rubber stamp case is larger an will stand on an edge on a shelf and take up only 1 1/2" of space. What is REALLY neat about these cases it that they are the exact depth of a stamp so the stamps stay upright in the case without bouncing around.
I haven't been able to get more of these cases but they were manufactured by Eagle out of NJ. The sku number on the rubber stamp storage case is 75272 09055. The sku number on the sticker case is 75272 09045. (The only reason I'm giving the numbers is in case someone want to find some of these!)
Someone here has mentioned that they store loose stamps in the clear acrylic shadow box picture frames you get at the craft store. You flip them over and fill them up...only drawback is that they don't have a lid.
Good luck with your move! And please extend my thank yous to your husband for his service to our country
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw an idea I am saving for my stamp room, if I ever get one. Use a piece of slat board to go with your peg board. Slat board is used alot in stores that change the wall configuation a lot. It has slats in it. It will hold baskets and shelves made to go in it. I wish I had a pic to help explain. You would be able to move basket and shelves as you need to rearrange due to growth. Check it out at Lowes or HD.

Steffani
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 07:29 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I think the pegboards are a great idea. I need to be able to see what I have to work with. When we build our new house (sometime in the next five years probably), I get my own craft room! We're going to build a house that looks old, so I want my craft room to have wood floors, an old antique workbench for my tabletop, and lots of drawers. I do a lot of scrapbooking too, so I am planning on having a vertical row of bottom cabinets that have lots of dividers to put my embellishments in. Right now I have them all stuffed in their packages in plastic stacking drawers I got from Target, but I tend to forget about them because I can't see them at a glance. I think if I had drawers where I could take stuff out of the packages and stick them in a little 2x2 dividers in a drawer, or if I could hang them on a pegboard, I would get a little more creative with them. I love the look of old printer's cabinets with lots of drawers and nooks and crannies.

Other than that, I want a lot of natural light and a lot of cabinets. I like to put things behind doors so it looks organized when I start. For some reason, clutter kills my creativity. And right now my craft room is in the middle of a very cluttered basement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Re: your BEST stamp room idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
My husband recently put up a pegboard for me and I LOVE IT!!! It holds my wheels, scissors, hand-held punches, brayer, crimper, heat tool, eyelet hammer, wheel handles ... and much more.

I purchased the materials for it at Home Depot. They had a package with mounting screws and spacers for anchoring it to the wall, allowing for space to put the pegs. Hubby thought the screws that came with the package were too short, so he had to use longer ones. They had a variety of pegs as well.

Of all the things in my stamping space, it's the pegboard that I love most!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

i would say get a rolling chair for sure. that was one of the best things i did.

also - for your loose stamps - if you like SU plastic boxes, demos can order those as a supply item. if you have a nice demo, you could probably ask her to order some extra for you, and then organize them by type, and label the end of the box. i have some on order right now and can't wait till they arrive and i can organize all my old and now virtually unused - stamps.

have fun decorating - it is so nice to have a space. i am down in our unfinished basement. i dream of having a "real" room, or finishing the basement so it is nicer. but this will do for now. i used to haul all my stuff up from down there to work at the kitchen table, but now that is is organized, i use it a lot more.
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Personally, I can't get enough of the rolling sets of drawers. My favorite are the super tall ones from Costco because they have 1 huge drawer, 3 medium sized-ones, and 5 small ones. I like them to be rolling so I can surround myself with them and just stamp like crazy without moving from my chair. Men like surround sound....I like surround stamps!

My dream....a room with a hardwood floor instead of carpeting so I can zoom to my stamp shelves on my office chair. My goal: to stamp anything I want without having to move my fat butt an inch from my chair!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like areas for things. I have a small table adjacent to my main work table and it is my cutting and cleaning table and is waist high when I am in my chair. I just swivel around and I have 2 cutters, cutting mats and tools etc. right there. On the end I have my baby wipes, etc.

On the other side of my work table is a small table with little boxes where I toss everything as soon as I am done using it and put everything away later. This keeps my table clear and markers are not rolling around and I have less mess ups as a result.

My friend has a little embossing table and only does her embossing right there and so she never has EP on her work area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #20  
luvmystamps3

We are also moving in the coming months and I have some ideas of what I would like, however not sure yet. I really like to work with lot's of colors so I know it will be a hard decsion. My DH is very handy so I know he will help me out. I think I will focus the most on a area for scrappin since when I work on the kids books I need the right set up. I will keep my room very simple and easy to work from.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:53 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a guest room/stamp room. Unfortunately, more than 1/2 the room seems to be this lovely king size bed! There is a closet, which you say you're getting: My favorite idea & has worked sooooo, well are pants hangers (the ones w/ multiple racks on one hanger from Wal-Mart). several of them are used to slide all my ribbon spools on & off for my workshops, or just pull the ribbon & snip for my own project. I just cut a slit in the cardboard spool to slip the end of the ribbon in to keep them from unwinding. I also have several of these hangers to keep all my wheels on. I had to peel the rubber (to keep pants from sliding off) from the pants racks & then all the wheels slide on & off so easily. You can see all this as soon as you open the closet door. Also, I just remembered: I bought inexpensive clear pocket over the door shoe racks to hang on the insides of the 2 closet doors. They are FULL of odd stamp stuff. I got them either at WalMart or Target. They have something like 25 pockets each & I was shocked that within 20 min. of hanging them both up, I had like 1 or 2 pockets left to fill (for the next $ store finds!). I needed to buy those things a lot sooner, evidently! So if your closet doors open out, they're the best, because all the clutter is completely visible when you open the door to find it, but hidden when the doors are shut. IT'S A GOOD THING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I have to share a small room with my husbands drum set, guitars, amps, etc and the computer ( mind you it's a small room!) The previous owner did not have doors put in the closet.(they would have been 2 large sliding mirror doors) He had used this room as an office. In the closet he had a wonderfully huge light fixer put on the ceiling (tall ceilings in this house) and an additional phone jack and outlet put in the closet. Hubby put in shelving the entire length of the closet to the height that I needed. (about 4 shelves fit in there). Now I have tons of room to organize all of my stuff. My artist drawing table sits just outside the closet. It's tight. But very organized.(I hung a shower rod and 2 pretty canvas curtains as a door). When we move to our next duties station I plan on having a room all to myself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I like the 3-drawer plastic units from Walmart. The drawers are wide and deep and all of my sets can store on end. Right now I have 4 of them ~ 2 stacked on top of each other without using the wheels, plus 3 of the taller, narrower units with 7-9 drawers in each. The taller ones I use for embellishments, ribbon, punches, etc. I'm off to Walmart today to get 2 more of the 3-drawer wider units. I put all of my non-SU stamps in SU stamp cases in their own drawer. That way everything stays neat and tidy. In my next house I will be getting my own stamp room and I want to line all of the walls with narrow bookshelves so that I can see the front of every stamp case and know exactly what I have. So that when I want a specific stamp, say a small saying from a flower set, I can stand in the middle of the room and look around to see what I want!!!

-- Bridget
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I am in the basement, origanally finished for decorative painting classes, but now it is my stamping area. I have 2 5 foot tables in the middle of the room that I seperate for stamping events. A wooden Ikea shelf holds my stamps and scrapbooks and catalogues. I have 2 sets of drawers on wheels that hold my tools, chalks, emobossing powders, etc. I have a literature holder from an office supply store that holds all my cardstock and scrapbooking papers. In a corner I have a large filing cabinet, on the walls are a white board and a cork board and a SU calendar. I have almost everything in sight, I find if I put it where I can't see it, in drawers, then I won't use it.

I think my best idea was running an extension cord up the wall and across the ceiling to just above my table. The plug hangs down in the middle of the room so that I can plug in my heat gun or anything else and not trip over the cord on the floor.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I just got my new stamp room after Chrsitmsas. Actually the thing that I DIDN"T do is my tip for you. LIGHTING!! I figured that was not really that importanta and boy was I wrong. If there is anything that you skimp on, don't let it be lighting.

What I like best is that most things are at arm reach. I have a U shaped workstation. I found that if I give myself a smaller workspace that I keep it cleaner out of necessity. If you have a small room to work with I think the best thing to do is have an L shaped workplace. Put the Irsi carts underneath for storage and put shelves above. My last stamp room I had a large closet. I took the sliding doors off and built a workplace and shelves out of the wire shelving from Lowe's (or any of those stores). I liked it but I also used shelves on other walls in the room and I was constantly having to get up and search for things. I love the room that I have now. I still want to put up peg board but haven't yet. Here's a link to my room.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I want to find another place for my ribbon. I don't like the way I have it now. And to the right of the window I have a tv/dvd/vcr combo mounted in the corner up close to the ceiling. I had my DH install an outlet and cable outlet up there for me.

I love having my paper where I can see it and one of my favorite things is the little white drawers next to the window. I have so much stuff in there and they take up so little room. Another thing that I love is my SU color caddy for my ink pads. It's awesome. Good luck with your move and enjoy your new place.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes