Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2004, 02:47 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We're all big girls here!

Why should anyone be bothered by the fact that people are expressing their negative opinions about anything, the new catalog included?!! :?
I, for one, enjoy hearing what others feel, even if it isn't what I think. Diverse opinions are what makes the world go 'round, and sometimes get you thinking (Which is never a bad thing!). I would hate to see people become hesitant to express an idea just because it might not be popular! So let's lighten up, ladies, and let others say what they want without flaming them or their ideas! We can respectfully agree to disagree.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integrity

I agree everyone does have a right to their own opinion and we certainly wouldn't want anyone to be afraid to talk about their opinion. BUT, you must remember that there are over 10,000 people on this website reading what you post. So if you start taking a negative and defensive tone towards other people's opinions, you may get flamed. Especially, when you start swearing in your posts. Many of us are demonstrators and there are plenty of Stampin' Up customers that come to this website. Reading offensive and negative posts is not very appealing for any of them.

Many of us look at SplitCoast as an extended family. We are happy and positive people. We can have different opinions. Clarence the Clown comes to mind. But when you start expecting people to have the same opinion as you and get nasty about it, you will probably get flamed.

A little consideration in your posts goes a long way to keeping SplitCoast the happy place that it is! That's all.
Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 03:34 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree, Lana.

It is really difficult to understand a person's tone from words on a computer screen. I may see something as very heated, when it was just a simple comment. And I don't come here to listen to heat. I come for the fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:08 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Not being able to 'read' a poster's tone is something to keep in mind. I see that as the biggest problem in this forum. I'll read something someone has posted that I think is a perfectly benign opinion, and, the next thing you know, people are all up in arms about it. :(
I guess being a "soon-to-be" 59 year old, I've been around long enough not to get my shorts in a knot over little things.
Of course, profanity is never acceptable. (I've never come across this, but I don't read every single post.) Neither are personal attacks. Respect is the issue here, and that includes respecting other's views.
I, for one, will continue to make the occassional negative comment. We can't all be happy about everything all the time. (Not even me! :lol: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default I agree.

Happy Heart: I'm sure your negative comments are always done with respect and consideration. We value everyones' opinions at SplitCoast as long as it is expressed in a considerate way. From what I have read of your posts, you are always very nice. It is when someone exerts way too much negative and gets nasty and rude that they will get flamed. Most of you have nothing to worry about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 AM   #6  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I agree with Lana (up until she mentioned Clarence the clown) .... mannn saying that a lot lately!! Oh well... negative comments are ok as long as they stay "clean" and not get to "hot headed" about the entire thing. I have never actually read a post that got so bad it made me mad yet, so maybe I just was missing something??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Mark it on your calendar!

Take note everyone! Kar just said she agreed with me again. I can't believe it! I'm marking my calendar! Yippy! Kar agreed with me twice in one month! Wooohooo! Makes my day! Sorry. Little things get me excited! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 06:28 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have another hobby (I know not possible). I raise and breed tropical fish. I joined a fish forum a year or so ago and had really loved it. After awhile it turned nasty with negativity towards certain types of people. I am a home-schooling SAHM of 6 and am strongly involved in our church (doors open we are present). I was exactly the type of person they did not want. They were against Home-schoolers totally and any type of godly religion at all. The avatars became disgusting and the language not readable. I had to leave the forum because of what they allowed was against my beliefs.

I love this site because the people support each other and truly seem to care about one another. It really touched me how everyone was there for Keri yesterday! I do not have to worry about people bashing and bad language. It seems like I am always here reading (not a big poster, still shy). I do not think what happened at the other site would ever be allowed to happen here because everyone seems to be so nice. I am very thankful for this site the way it is and the people on it!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 06:34 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default tears, sob, sob

Oh Debbi,

I'm glad you like it here and we LOVE you just for who you are. Don't worry. We will all keep this site the caring,loving, and respectful site that it is!

Come out more to play with us! Watch out for Kar though. I sometimes have to kick her out of my yard!

Happy Day, sweetie!
Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 07:05 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I appreciate this site so much that I'm referring my customers to it to enrich their stampin' lives. I do think that we all will continually have differences of opinions, and as long as the posts don't get to the point it turns people away, people do have the right to express opinions. Just yesterday, I looked through the catalog with a customer and she loved most of the sets I disliked - they truly appealed to her. She's not wrong, and I'm not wrong - just different.

I posted earlier questioning whether or not to contribute $ to this site and someone said "What a silly question." I know at first I was flustered about being called "silly" but later was able to take it in stride. It is so easy to read emotions into words that never intended to carry that specific emotion, but we do that quite often. A simple statement can only hurt if we CHOOSE to let. I, for one, intend to take all statements made on this site as intended for extended family - which includes a HUGE dose of love. I am proud to refer people to this site and will continue to do so.
Phil 4:19 And my God shall richly supply all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 07:48 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Default `

What I'm about to say is in no way a direct reflection of anything I've seen happen here, just a statement.

I also think people don't read things that are said well enough sometimes. I have had situations where I've replied specifically to one person, addressed that person by name, and been attacked by a different person who took what I was saying as addressed to them. When pointing out I had started my sentance with Suzie, the person realized it was not even them I was addressing. We tend to not always read word for word and that can cause problems too. So you have lack of ability to read emotion + not reading thoroughly = bad combination sometimes. You can also add the summer heat to the mix and things can get bad too. There are so many factors, you just have to remember, don't take it personally and all will be good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Poor behavior

Well, let's not make up excuses for poor behavior on our posts. Let's simply keep them clean and fun and leave the swearing and such out. This isn't the place for it.

Everyone has a bad day and sometimes things are not clearly said or clearly understood. I think if everyone just remembers that we are posting to 10,000+ readers and that maybe a little consideration in what we say to who, we will keep this site a happy place.

Again, everyone has a right to their different opinions. It is just how we express these opinions that matters.

Happy Day,
Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 AM   #13  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

nooooooo it's watch out for Lana!!! She has this fence that surrounds her yard that reminds me of a prison fence!! Wonder what is up with that?? :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

MHO- I returned to this site, after my first visit, because of the positiveness (a word???) of it's posters - some of the other sites I was "trying out" seemed so negative! So, I am here to stay!

Whenever I read an opinion that I don't agree with, I tell myself, that this could be the opinion of one of my customers, or neighbors, so how can find a common ground?

In a small community (mine is smaller than SCS by far!!!) it is important to try to accentuate the positive!!!

Lori
(photo w/DD Kelly)
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/Lori_G
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:32 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I love SCS because it is a positive, energetic place with lots of fun and enthusiasm for the thing I love--Stamping! If I want grouchy, touchy, and negative attitudes, I have 3 daughters and one of them is sure to be PMSing on any given day:shock: Maybe Tracy and Daven could set up a special forum for negative commentary so that the rest of us could escape the assault that a few unhappy people inflict on the rest of us. We could call it the Snippy Stampers Room or the Inky Attitude Forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I am so happy to be a member of SCS. There are so many wonderful, caring, supportive, loving people here. I feel like I know so many and count y'all as my stamping buddies. Most of the stuff here is so positive and uplifting and I agree that differences make us stronger as a general rule. But it bothers me that there is profanity and heated words over differences of opinion. The Lord created us to be different and to complement each other through those differences. We are all here to love and support each other through this earthly life and that is the most important thing. Few things are worth destrying friendship over. Tolerance and respect are the key. Anger and disrespect are not. Anyway, just my .02....... Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 12:38 PM   #17  
New Mommy

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm new to this website, just happened to stumble upon it late one night from a different website (lucky me!) I'm not a demo but I do enjoy stamping for fun. This site is great! I LOVE all the samples in the gallery and the 'regulars' seem so nice. I've been here everyday since I joined earlier this month--I guess I'm addicted!!! Almost all of the comments I've read have been very positive. My advice is to simply not read the ones that seem to be negative, if that bothers you. Opinions are great and continue to enjoy the majority of wonderful comments! Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default super-long reply-watch out!!!

I agree with Happy Heart!!! Freedom of speech is one of the cornerstones of our democracy. I am a very positive person, and I don't even have the new catalog, and I love it--haha!!!

I think part of what makes this country so great is that we can express our opinions, no matter how "wrong" others think we are. As a teacher and waitress in the summer, believe me, I have had my share of negative, rude, demeaning, and just plain obscene comments directed towards me. Having said that, I know that when people have something negative to say, it's usually more complicated than it looks, i.e, something else might be happening it their lives that you have no clue about!!! For example, maybe they had a little fender bender, their checks bounced, their boss yelled at them etc.... and they have reached their boiling point and you just happen to be in the wrong place and the wrong time. Of course, it's not fun to be on the receiving end, and this should not be an excuse to be rude, but no one is perfect. So while I might get mad at someone's opinion, it is just that--an opinion. Like I tell my students, you can have whatever opinion you want, it doesn't mean it's right;) Not a decree, a law, etc, just an opinion, and those are easy to come by!

When I read the thread about people not beig happy with the catalog, etc, it didn't bother me, although I love SU! and their products, but I understand why some people might be upset. Perhaps, if this sort of posting is not wanted on this site, the administrative team should set some guidelines for what is and is not an acceptable post, and have propsective members read it before they join. (Just a suggestion!--haha, sorry Daven!)

either way, I say let's be mature about it, don't let a few negative comments get you (if that's your worst problem, consider yourself lucky!) let's agree to disagree, and be thankful that we can!!!;)

Sending lots of love!!!

some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:02 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default I agree

I agree with EVERYTHING you said dmsd. Opinions are part of what makes us, us. But when people start expecting others to have the same opinion and they start swearing and be disrespectful to others, it is too much. I am pretty sure we are not referring to the same thread. And then to take it further, to personally single out some of the people that don't have the same opinion and then harass them with e-mails or pms, that has taken it too far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:07 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Hope okay

I hope all is okay! IT kind of sounds like someone got their panties all in a twist!!

I hope we haven't lost someone on SCS!
This site is too great!!!!!
-Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:24 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Goodness, I didn't check in yesterday and it looks like I missed something. :?

Honestly, I'm glad I missed it because I would have been upset to see this group in a tiff. :( I have been on other boards, but none have been as "community-like" as this one. Remember a few days ago when we were all rooting for Keri.

I am not a demo, just a very loyal customer and between me and my 4 friends we are our demos best customers. I don't post much, guess I'm shy and most of the time I am in awe of everyone's talents. I do like to lurk though and see the "love" between Lana and Kar. :lol:

I really enjoy this group and I hope all is well now and we can all play together at recess.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:36 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I love this group so much...it is nice to express one's opinion even if it isn't the same as everyone else's...but there is never any excuse for rudeness and swearing... as previously said, it is only courtesy to respect everyone's opinion...it is their right....

and on the flip side, I know that we don't all READ everything in a post and get upset and post a reply or even post and then realize what we actually wrote and then are embarrassed for writing (saying) before really thinking what is coming out of our mouths....(Hopefully this is the case since I wasn't on much yesterday and didn't see the problem post)....

I would be horrified for my 13 year old to come across this...She is becoming addicted to this site as much as I and her little brother loves to read what is going on with the BB chix and clarence the clown..and the newest bit of news...Keri's baby.....WHere else can we all have such a wonderful and addicting clean fun????

Hats off the Daven and crew for this great place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I can't believe there was swearing and rude comments on this site. I have never seen that here. I must have actually been working when those were posted! And to think I thought the threads about negativity had to do with my thread about not loving the new catty as much as I thought I would! I guess I never expected there to be profanity and rudeness on this site. I'm glad I missed those posts. My son reads over my shoulder when I'm on here at home and would hate for him to read something like that!

I agree that we all have rights to express our opinions and that's what makes each of us unique! But rudeness is never acceptable in my opinion!

Thanks for the great site and I hope whomever caused this stir has gotten the message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Funny, but the comments about the catalog (and everyone rushing to its defense as if it were a personal attack on them!) were exactly what I was talking about when I started this thread! :? I wasn't aware of any of the horrid behavior that Lana referred to in her posts, and I still don't have any idea what that was all about! It's odd how things can get turned around when people read things into what other people say!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:13 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Default -

At my NASCAR sites there is cussing up the ying yang things people here would die over, so it's funny to me to read these posts and look for what people are saying is cursing. It's a perception thing. I do know it's hard when its natural to type what you are thinking to not put in cuss words, but as much as I use them on the NASCAR boards, I make sure I don't use them here. Not worth it and the culture is different between the two places.

Happy mentioned the catalog thread. When I posted about people being disappointed that there was no Memories catalog, I didn't know that people would take that as such a slam against SU. It wasn't, it was more an observation of "no second chance" for some of people's favorite sets, not a put down. Even what someone thinks is an innocent observation can be turned, so I admit, you do have to be careful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Staying happy

Okay, I think we should end this thread. The specific people that were involved in the thread that I was talking about know who they are and hopefully from now on they will keep their posts clean and not push people around with their snotty words. We will keep SplitCoast a happy place and again, everyone has a right to their opinion. We all agree that we can have different opinions. We are just asking for common courtesy when posting. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

Happy Friday everyone! Woohooo! Please don't post to this thread any more.

Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I have tried to stay out of the fray on this topic, I really have... but here goes...
I am completely shocked by some of the things that were stated in one of the threads a few days ago. It is not the thread about the catalog. I, like Happy Heart welcome a healthy debate, as well as the opportunity to share diverse opinions. I can equivocally state that I have no problem with stating frustration, disappointment, etc, if the comments are professional. There is room for everyone's opinions, although I do think that as demos, we should keep a lot of those comments in the demo only section.
With that said, there was different thread, where extremely derogatory comments were made about a fellow demo and profanities were used. The comments seemed to be never-ending, and created a lot of hurt. These were not comments of frustration about the new catalog, or disappointment, but vicious, spiteful slams. The slip of an occasional curse, while used in a benign "friendly" thread is a different matter entirely when it is used in a hostile manner toward another person. I do not personally know the "other demo," but the comments sickened me. This was definitely not a situation that could be written off as misunderstanding the writer's intent. The message was quite clear. Again, I enjoy a healthy debate. The topic I am referring to was not in that category.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, and hope everyone understands the spirit it is intended.
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

There was a topic the other day I responded to, but haven't been able to find it since. Ohhh I hope it wasn't that one and I hope I didn't say anything mean, if I did I am sorry. Then again I could be totally offbase here and for that too I apologize.
Reply With Quote Likes