Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - almost new demo in distress

I have been around stampin up for about 6 years. I have had the same demo the entire time. I have introduced her to many groups of people and she has gotten recruits and a lot of business through me.

I have finally decided to take the plunge and be a demo. After much consideration and for personal reasons, I am going to sign with another demonstrator. I know that loyalty is a big part of life - my dad sold cars for years and depended upon his loyal customers.

I am a very loyal person. This is a business decision which sometimes are very hard to make.

Anyways - I called her today to tell her. I felt I owed her that and I did not want her to hear it through the grapevine. She was very hurt and told me so and I believe she started crying.

Needless to say, I feel awful. Has anyone made a similiar decision? The person I am signing up under and I talked about this a while ago. She told me that she has had customers sign up under others and she is glad that they have found someone to help them out. You can't sign every person in the world.

I need a little encouragement here. I was so excited about signing up - now I am feeling crappy. I know business is business but I would never intentionally hurt anyone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Without knowing the details, I really cannot comment much. I will say, however, that I would be very upset if one of my loyal customers did this to me. I do believe that it was good for you to break the news to her instead of her hearing it through the grapevine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Obviously, you must have a good reason to sign up under the second demo. I'm assuming it's because she's what you're looking for in an upline? Or maybe your first demo never asked you to sign up?

Whatever your reasons, I hope this makes you feel better: as demos, we don't own our customers. They have the freedom to choose an upline who will best fit their needs.

I wish you the best with your SU! business. As you noted, you've helped your first demo out tremendously with continued business over the years. You don't owe her anything, so hold your head high. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

You're both entitled to your feelings. Frankly it would be worse for your former demo to have you sign up and not want to be there -- and it wouldn't help you either to be resentful of the situation. I suspect that if the situation were reversed, you would also be sad in her place. Congratulations on telling her so that she wasn't blindsided with the info down the road. Put this situation behind you and start looking forward. Focus on the future and your plans to make your SU business all that it can be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Islandmomma2,

Congrats on signing up to become a demonstrator ! Stampin' Up! is an awesome company to be a part of. I commend you for telling your demonstrator that you were signing up with someone else. I have read too many stories of people being a customer with someone for a long time & then signing up with someone else without telling their long time demonstrator. There's no "law" against that, it's just courteous. You have to do what is right for you & your business. Hopefully your former demonstrator will come around & see you didn't hurt her on purpose. Please post when you get your kit!! This is such an exciting time---don't let this get you down. Welcome to the Stampin' Up family !!!

Blessings,

Jacque
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

It's always hard to make a decision like that, but good for you for standing up for your new business. Hopefully your demo friend will understand in time. Good luck, and please check out the demo only section of SCS now that you are a demo!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, quite a difficult situation and without more facts (which I can understand and respect that you aren't in a position to share) I cannot comment on whether you are making the right decision or not.

I am just wondering if she was such a good demonstrator that you purchased from her for so long what would make you switch? Not my business, of course, but I am hoping that you have a very compelling reason to sign with someone else.

I am sure that you have looked into this new demonstrator and are thinking in the long term what will be best for you and your goals with your demonstratorship. For example, if you have one demonstrator who is strictly a "hobby" demonstrator who isn't into the business aspect and you wish to pursue that, you would be wise to search and find someone who held downline training meetings and could give you the guidance that you will need. I have lost a couple of downline to another demonstrator who offered a very nice incentive to sign with her, but then offered little in the way of support afterwards. I felt bad when this gal returned and wished for support and training from me...:(

It sounds like you have thought out your decision, I agree that it was quite brave of you to call her and tell her yourself instead of letting her figure it out later. I can certainly empathize with her confusion and disappointment and with your desire to be ethical. It just sounds like there is no way around her being hurt, but I am sure that you took that into consideration when you made your decision. Best of luck to you!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default signing under consultants and loyalty

Hi, I am new to the SCS groups, but have lots of experience. I am really impressed that you told your consultant that you signed under someone else. I am sure since you told her, that you have a good relationship with her. I believe in signing under whoever you are MOST comfortable with. Its not about the numbers, and I do also hear the hurt from her. It sounds like she would have loved having you in her team. Still, in the long run if you are happy its important to you. You look yourself in the mirror each morning and obviously did think about this decision. Trust yourself. And enjoy your new business!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This is a tough one. I would be hurt, honestly - but I'd move on. Business is business. I've known other demos who'd wished they'd signed under someone else for various reasons. You've got to go with what feels right. If you are wanting someone who is going to guide you and your business to a point where you can cruise....then that is the person you need to be with. All loyalties aside, you need to be with the person who's goals are most similar to yours.

Good luck and I'm proud of you for being so upfront!

Check out My Blog or My SU Website

Reply With Quote Likes