Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Everything You Need To Start Stamping!

I have decided to create a list of stamping necessities for the newcomers to Stampin' Up! This will get you started, and you can work your way up from there!

-At least one package of a color family of assorted cardstock
-Stampin' Spots to match your assorted cardstock
-2 or 3 Ribbons (Not that important)
-1/4-inch Circle punch (If your into brads and eyelets)
-Package Of Brads
-Package Of Eyelets
-Dimensionals
-Glue Dots
-Glue Runner
-Cleaning Pad
-Cutter
-Eyelet Mat (If your into eyeleting)
-Stamping Mist
-One Wheel (optional)
-One Wheel handle (optional)
-Hemp
-Your Favorite Stamp Set!

Okay thats my list... Some of it isn't necessary, it just depends on the kind of look you want to get when you start stamping. I used products from the Stampin' Up Catalogue, but if you want, you can buy lots of the same products somewhere else for cheaper. Michaels is great for that kind of stuff, plus they have a 40% off coupon in their flier every week! Also, Wal-Mart has cheap glue runners and dimensionals.

So there you go. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to add to my list! Let me know what you think!!

Bailey :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with you. Many of the items you suggested I don't even have now, and I've been stamping for a while. (Why buy the circle punch when a push pin will do the same job - push it into a piece of foam or cork).

I think the guidance on p.12 (neutral CS, assorted color CS, 2 or 3 ink pads, stamp set and envies) of the IB&C is pretty close, I especially liked the way this was shown in last year's IB&C. I would suggest showing this to a newcomer. I would add the cleaning items (scrub mist and pad) and obviously they need glue (a UHU stick will do and is a lot cheaper) but I would suggest a newcomer see if they like stamping before they invest more into it. Obviously the more stuff you have the more looks you can create but ultimately it is the creativity of the person and not how much stuff they have that makes good cards.

I would be wary of listing off too many items as essentials, you will scare of potential purchasers before they get started. If they like stamping, they won't be able to help themselves with further purchases.

I think the most important selection is the stamp set and when I bought my first stamp set I don't think I got the guidance in choosing the right thing for me. I would ask the person what kind of cards they currently send most (for me this was birthday and Christmas) an pick a set that can be used for those occasions first (why buy a set with thank you's if you don't send them!).

Overall, versatility is the key. Sets with basic sentiments (thank you, happy birthday, best wishes) and/or a stamp with something that can be used as a background stamp are the best choices IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I am an Angel I demonstrate for the Angel Company and I have found that if I came up with Starter kits that were acheivable for the new stamper that I sold more of those. So what I did was create 2 levels and one was for $30 and the other was for $60. That included a couple sets of stamps, cardstock, acrylic (which is what TAC sells), and a couple of ink pads. That usually gives them the stamps to make thier first cards. Now the $60 is double of the $30, with a couple of our accessories.

Now I found that they loved that idea because they were new to stamping and had no idea where to begin. I think that if you overwhelm with a bunch of stuff, that they will get discouraged.

The reason that I came up with the starter kits was because I went to a workshop that my sil was having and when I asked the demo if she had a starter kit she told me no that just pick anything out and pay for it I can create then. Now I was brand new to stamping and had no idea what I was purchasing and ended up with a bunch of stuff that I did not know how to use, nor did I. Now I purchased almost $100 and when I asked her for a catty she told me it would cost $15. Now everyone knows that most catties are $10 for a customer. So. . .

Just my two cents. :-D

Inky Huggz,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #4  
ch
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by teenstamper
I have decided to create a list of stamping necessities for the newcomers to Stampin' Up! This will get you started, and you can work your way up from there!

-At least one package of a color family of assorted cardstock
-Stampin' Spots to match your assorted cardstock
-2 or 3 Ribbons (Not that important)
-1/4-inch Circle punch (If your into brads and eyelets)
-Package Of Brads
-Package Of Eyelets
-Dimensionals
-Glue Dots
-Glue Runner
-Cleaning Pad
-Cutter
-Eyelet Mat (If your into eyeleting)
-Stamping Mist
-One Wheel (optional)
-One Wheel handle (optional)
-Hemp
-Your Favorite Stamp Set!

Okay thats my list... Some of it isn't necessary, it just depends on the kind of look you want to get when you start stamping. I used products from the Stampin' Up Catalogue, but if you want, you can buy lots of the same products somewhere else for cheaper. Michaels is great for that kind of stuff, plus they have a 40% off coupon in their flier every week! Also, Wal-Mart has cheap glue runners and dimensionals.

So there you go. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to add to my list! Let me know what you think!!

Bailey :mrgreen:
Thank You!!! This is a great list for beginners! I love selling spots to beginners, they have such a variety to work with. I totally agree with your suggestion of the hole punch and embellishments, my creations are not complete without brads and ribbon! Thanks again for your list I sell to many first time stampers, I'll put it to good use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think spots are great for beginners too! What a lot of color for a reasonable price!
I also like the formula of one color group & asst paper & 3 large pads in that.

Then, later, when you have to have it all, the spots are great for taking with you when you travel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks!
I hope you do get good use from it. I think the starter kits are a fantastic idea also!! I was just trying to put together a basic list of what most stampers probably have, or have tried. Mariana is also correct too, I mean, it could be totally different for someone whos not a "hardcore" stamper or someone who like simplicity. But also note that my list is just suggestions, its not like I am trying to brainwash you as in to say "Go out and buy this list of products". Just some suggestions, I know there are alot of people who are a little clueless, and I have had some people ask me what would be good to start with. Well, thats my personal opinion.

Thanks for looking! If you put the list to good use, awesome! If not, thats okay too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I so love Versamark that I would include that before eyelets (I'm too lazy for eyelets...) Maybe I should start using the ones I already have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

How much are the stampin spots? 2.50 each?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

The Stampin' Spots come in color groups, so you get all 12. I can't remember the price, but I am not sure if you can buy spots individually.... hmm....

Also, I think the Versa Mark is amazing too! I think every stamper needs it, and I was debating on wether or not to include it in the list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

LOVE to sell Stampin' Spots to new stampers. It is a great way to get alot of color for not alot of money. 12 ink colors are only $21.50!!! I bought all the craft ink pads in spots because I wasn't sure if I would like/use/need the craft ink. Sloly I am buying the craft ink BIG daddy pads in my favorite craft colors. It helps you see what you use the most.

Love the spots! And they're so cute! :-D

Wendi, SCS Member # 799
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sahm_i_am
www.wendibrant.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I think you need to add a Basic Black inkpad to your necessity list...
Reply With Quote Likes