View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
MazG
Matboard Maniac

Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with you. Many of the items you suggested I don't even have now, and I've been stamping for a while. (Why buy the circle punch when a push pin will do the same job - push it into a piece of foam or cork).

I think the guidance on p.12 (neutral CS, assorted color CS, 2 or 3 ink pads, stamp set and envies) of the IB&C is pretty close, I especially liked the way this was shown in last year's IB&C. I would suggest showing this to a newcomer. I would add the cleaning items (scrub mist and pad) and obviously they need glue (a UHU stick will do and is a lot cheaper) but I would suggest a newcomer see if they like stamping before they invest more into it. Obviously the more stuff you have the more looks you can create but ultimately it is the creativity of the person and not how much stuff they have that makes good cards.

I would be wary of listing off too many items as essentials, you will scare of potential purchasers before they get started. If they like stamping, they won't be able to help themselves with further purchases.

I think the most important selection is the stamp set and when I bought my first stamp set I don't think I got the guidance in choosing the right thing for me. I would ask the person what kind of cards they currently send most (for me this was birthday and Christmas) an pick a set that can be used for those occasions first (why buy a set with thank you's if you don't send them!).

Overall, versatility is the key. Sets with basic sentiments (thank you, happy birthday, best wishes) and/or a stamp with something that can be used as a background stamp are the best choices IMHO.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!