Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feel odd giving them as gifts......?

Hi,
I am new here and an addicted stamper. I recently gave a bag of cards to my son's teacher and her assistant...does anyone else give them as gifts? I don't want to seem self centered, like look at this awesome thing i did, spread the word, but i think they are nice gifts....
any opinions here?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I give them out as gifts too! Every year I give my daughter's new teacher a set of thank you cards at the beginning of the year. I put them in a very attractive package. I figure teacher's can always use cards. I also give cards to family at Christmas time! Heck, who can't use cards!! You always have those "oops I forgot about so and so's birthday" moments and it's helpful to have a card you can whip out on the spot!!

Amber Porter
www.noahsarkworkshop.com #36
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 08:55 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Tracy does it too cause I got a thank you card from the teacher that her daughter and mine shared and it was clearly a Tracy original. AND I know from personal experience, I have teachers who live on my block, that they really appreciate something they can use and not another coffee cup!!

Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you will see farther.
ScrappinGallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Default feel odd giving them as gifts..?

This is my first post but I felt I needed to reply to this one. I am a newly retired teacher and used to make cards to give in packs of 5 to secretaries and aides in the building for Christmas presents. I would be stopped and thanked continuously through the year with thank yous again for the cards and remarks about not wanting to give them away. So I agree wholeheartedly that they make great gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of my favorite baby shower gifts to give is a set of thank you cards. I think that people love to have cute, original cards to send. I also like to give a set of "all occasion" cards to teachers. Hadn't thought of the thank you cards at the beginning of the year. May have to "CASE" that idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I also give cards as gifts to my children's teachers and to our relatives. So far everyone seems to like them. And as stated earlier, everyone needs cards.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I don't see anything worng with it - in fact for this holiday I am going to be a stampin fool...

I plan on making sets of cards for both my grandmothers (Thinking of you cards since they are getting older....) and some all-occassion sets for friends and my girls daycare teacher...

I am going to buy the Stationary boxes to decorate and put the cards in to make them be nicer gifts...

I am one of those people who believe that a gift is best given from the heart and not the wallet - I love getting things I know the person has put a lot of thought into (although I would get really excited with a gift certificate to Creative Memories or Stampin Up

I have made thank you cards for a friend as part of her Baby Shower gift and some elegant thank you cards for a friend as part of her wedding gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

This what I always give to both of my boys teachers & aides. I make a card folio w/organdy ribbon around it w/a tag, so precious. I love the baby shower gift idea so that the new Mom has baby thank you's on hand, too cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Default where do i get stationary boxes??

I have been putting them in the clear bags, but i would love to see the stationary boxes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I use tulle bags!!

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Card sets

I agree. Give, give, give. I make a complete set for all of the females in my family for Christmas, plus and extra set for my files and an extra for me to have through out the year. My mom's first comment was:
"Honey, I love these, but I don't like anyone well enough to give them one of these cards" I just told her I gave them to be used and I can always make another one for you, so enjoy. The way I look at is, I gave them to that person beacuse I like them and I enjoy making the cards. So go ahead and do it, you're not doing it for the recognition but for the pure joy of giving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Default cards make great gifts

My son's teachers have LOVED getting cards as gifts. He had them for two years, so between Christmas, teacher appreciation week, birthdays and end-of-year, they received a lot!! One teacher said she doesn't want to see Tyler go because she'll miss her cards. Gifts that are useful as well as creative are always appreciated.

Kristina
Phil 4:19 And my God shall richly supply all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 09:38 AM   #13  
Postapalooza Princess

I love giving cards as gifts. I gave my sister in law a set of cards one year, actually before I became a demonstrator, and she keeps dropping hints that she would love more cards for Christmas. Cards are nice because the person can use them...it isn't something they have to save so the giver won't be offended. I also give gifts of other things I stamp. One of my favorites stamped gifts to give is a set of tumbled marble coasters.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:07 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I also like to give stamped gifts, and everyone loves receiving them. I made sets of four tumbled tile coasters for all the moms/grandmothers, plus a set of 10 note cards for each. I just recently made perpetual calendars for my MIL and grandmother and they loved them. My grandmother keeps saying she doesn't like to send the cards to her friends because they are so pretty, she wants to keep them. So I tell her that I'll make more for her and she gets very excited to wait and see what the new ones will look for. I need to start my teacher gifts. I love the idea of the thank you cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a wonderful idea!! I never ever thought of that before. My oldest is starting kindergarten this year so I will get started. I am teaching at the per-school my other 2 will go to and already know who their teachers are and their personality so this will be fun. I want to become a demo but, right now I do not have time to get everything in before school starts.

Thanks again
stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I forgot to mention, I saw an adorable shadow box in a catalog for a new baby. The image was almost identical to the Wash Day jumbo wheel. The baby's name, DOB, etc. were printed on the little clothes. I thought it was adorable. But it was $120!!! Plus an extra $10 for S&H. Very cute, but not that cute! I thought, hey, I've got that Wash Day wheel; I could easily make that for under $20. I saved the picture for inspiration and I am making one for my BIL' s new baby girl. I'm sure they'll love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I think that giving cards (or any other hand made item) is great! Like everyone above has already said, cards are something that can be used and anything handmade shows the person that you cared enough to spend the time and make something.

My Grandmother always gave us thank you cards as a gift every Christmas and birthday. It was her not-so-subtle way of saying that thanking someone for the time and money they spent in getting you a gift is very important. Unfortunately that is a habit that much of society has let slide.

And as a former teacher myself I have WAY too many coffee mugs and apple themed knick knacks in my house! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

ABSOLUTELY don't feel awkward doing this! Especially for teachers because they do have plenty of uses for them! I've usually made matching boxes for presentation and that can be used after the cards are gone as a desk accessory.

I've usually done mine as notecards so they can be more all-purpose but assortments of occasion cards are nice too I think!

One year the teacher was so excited she asked if I'd do a stamping project with the kids during a class party. WHAT fun! WHAT a mess! WHAT I wouldn't give to do it again, lol!

Hugs,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Where do you buy stationary boxes? I like to shop the internet and hate going to the store. I wish we could buy groceries off the internet.

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I have been searching high and lo for blank stationary boxes but I can't find any - I am buying the punch out ones from the SU catalog - you can only fit about 5-6 cards with envelopes in those but they should be easier to decorate the outside...

I think with the cards I give my grandmothers at the very back I will put a note that says to give me a holler when they are out and I will "re-fill" thier boxes... that way they will use them and won't horde them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks !!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Jenni-
What a great idea!! Whenever the receiver tells me they always wait for the "right" person to give their card to I have to remind them I can always make more. LOL.
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Well, as a teacher, I can honestly say.....that I would LOVE to get a pack of cards or stationary as a gift!!! Teachers are constantly writing notes and those cards sure come in handy when the kiddos bring in treats or presents. Good for you - I bet the teacher just loves 'em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:36 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Stormy- LOL! I agree, I would LOVE to be able buy groceries on-line! Hey! Do you think we're on to something? As for the topic- Yes, everyone I have given the cards to- give me 0000HHHHHs and AAAHHHHHs. They also request them as a gift the following years as well. No shopping- YaHoo!!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Default `

If I can stamp it, I give it as a gift. I love stamping so I try to include something of a personal nature whenever I give something. Like last week, I noticed my neighbor didn't have any paper. I stamped a memo cube for her including pencil as an addition to what I gave her for her birthday (a bottle of wine). She enjoyed the wine for one night, but the pad she'll have for quite a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my boys' teachers were very pleased to receive gifts of cards from me this year. My mother is a retired teacher, so I know exactly how deep the pile of well-meant useless gifts can get! Just yesterday I gave an assortment of cards to a dear friend for her birthday. She loves hand-made cards, but simply isn't going to become a stamper herself. She was so thrilled she clapped her hands when she saw her gift. I think cards as gifts are excellent: they're beautiful, they're useful, and they don't have to be dusted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I give card sets all the time as gifts. My family put them on their Christmas lists now! I gave a set to a friend and she told me they were too pretty to use. I had to set her straight, lol. I gave them to neighbors when they moved into the neighborhood. I jokingly told them it was better than anything I would bake. Unfortunately, this is a very true statement!

Michelle Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

In my "real life," I am a teacher-- "ditto" to all the posts about not needing yet another teacher knickknack or coffee mug! Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate anything my "babes" give to me, but I love-love-LOVE gifts that I can really USE! Cards are great, and I make sure to always have a supply in my top drawer. And let's face it...in this technologically overrun day, a handmade card with a handwritten message is welcomed. (Did that last comment give you a clue that I'm not in my 20's and may have fully freaked the first time a computer was put on my desk? lol)
Proudly give anything you've made by hand! I stamp, faux finish furniture, make jewelry, and work with polymer clay--my friends are always anxious at birthday/Christmas time to see what I have come up with for them. Anyone can go to the mall, but a handmade gift tailor-made for the recipient is such a treasure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sue - Yep I think we are onto something! I have 3 kids and I am a shiftworkers widow and yes my mom lives down the road but hey she has a life and my kids are too young to go grocry shopping quietly.

stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I give cards as gifts to everyone. My sister finally told me that my brother in law was raiding her stash, so I made him some "manly" cards, and made his day.

The teachers at my kid's schools really seem to love getting them, and I've gotten loads of compliments from all of them. I love giving them too. I have 4 kids and that adds up to an enormous number of gifts by the time I hit the media center people, PE teacher, art & music, and school secretaries and principal. In fact, thinking about all the money I'm saving making these gifts makes me think I should be using that money on some new stamp sets. Hmmmmmmmm....

Gotta go get my catty.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ok - I think I might want to give cards as teacher gifts this Christmas, but I'd have to start now because I'm addicted to lots of layers and embellishements.
Does anyone have any "quick and simple" layout ideas that I could mass produce without going too crazy?? Thanks for your imput!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:38 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got to add to this. I am a teacher and believe me that there is no gift better than something handmade from the heart. Your child's teacher will know you really appreciate her/him because you took the time to make something especially for her, and that is such a powerful message.

I started giving my cards as gifts last year and gave to many of my teacher friends. The positive response was wonderful and made me feel so glad that I had given them.

So yes, yes, yes, share your cards as gifts and be proud that you did. I promise they will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I cannot keep my family and friends in cards!! I am always being asked for cards. They tell me how much they love my cards. My brother is always the biggest hit at his school when he gives other teachers cards or the secretaries cards (for Valentines, Secretaries Day, etc) Don't worry I'm not taken advantage of, in my family we barter. I might do all the cards in the famliy but they all pull their weight in other ways. So everyone's happy!! Really, who doesn't need cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Default Cards

I make cards and give them as birthday gifts and Christmas gifts. It a nice gift to give to someone and fairly inexpensive. Both of my parents are teachers and they like to give their aids something as well. They always ask me for pack of cards to give to them. I enjoy it and its a compliment for someone to ask me if they can have a pack of cards to give as a gift!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

My mother always told me what her mother always told her: Give gifts of things that get used up.

Can't go wrong giving something useful, beautiful, unique, and needing to be replenished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

I give thank you notes as baby shower gifts and have had people come back and ask me if they can buy more of them! Everyone that I've given them to, loves them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Default Cards make great gifts

I buy the card holders that look like a folder & put 2 cards per month in each pocket. Everyone that I have given them to have cried, they said that they could not believe that I would take the time to make such a beautiful gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I make all or as many gifts as I can for teachers, friends, etc. This year for the holidays, my daughter (a kindergartener) wanted to give to just about everyone she came in contact with at school a gift. I made small legal pads for the secretaries, notecubes for the librarians, pe and music teachers and the nurse. Each was stamped with something related to them(ie. the nurse's had the bandaid and saying from Happy Healing) For the principal I stamped a composition notebook and notecube. For her teacher I stamped the composition notebook, notecube, and mathcing notecards with her name on them. My daughter was so happy to give these out at the holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cards are a great gift!!!! I often make a set of thank you post cards to include with birthday or shower gifts. I package them in a clear envie with postcard postage stamps and a pen. In my group of friends I'm a party-giver, so if I did the invites then I make the thank you's to match. People always seem to love getting the postcards - small space to write - when they have a lot to do after a party

Another thing I have done became a tradition at work where we give small token gifts for birthdays. I would sign my birthday card to my co-worker on a post-it note so the card was re-usable and part of the gift! Everyone always got a kick out of that!
Reply With Quote Likes