Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can there be too many demo's in an area?

I'm thinking about becoming a SU Demo, but am afraid there are too many otheer demo's in the area. What is your experience? I have two different demo's inviting me to stamp camp, just in my neighborhood. Plus how do I pick which one to go with?

Check out my gallery!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #2  
One TOT Mom

YES! There are too many in my area!

I never really "picked" a demo. I had parties for 3 different ladies and eventually signed up under the one that made it most worth my while and seemed like she had the greatest knowledge. Not that there was a competition or that I pitted them against eachother! (These parties were spread out over a year and a half) I think if you are going to sign up you def. have to do it with someone that has a wealth of knowledge if you want to make a business out of it. Also you have to sign up with someone that you are comfortable with. My upline was great until she left me !

Some may not agree with me, but.....shop around. These ladies are running a business and each business is run differently. I do not think there is any problem with attending both stamp camps - just don't lead anyone on. Shop without them knowing your shopping. Then you will spare andy hurt feelings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the same concern when I started thinking about becoming a demo myself. There are two others here in Savannah, and a couple more in surrounding suburbs.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I thought there were too many in my area when I signed up, but my downline (from the same town) is having a booming business...so it just keeps going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I live in a small town. I am the only demo that I know of within 30-45 minutes. BUT, in such a small town, we have TONS of Longaberger, TONS of Mary Kay, alot of Creative Memories and they all seem to do well despite their heavy competition. Everyone knows different people. When I was a CM consultant there were 5 of us in the same neighborhood and we never crossed each others customers because we all ran in different cirlces. Well, actually one of the 5 was my recruit so we did a little.

Having said that, I don't really think that you can have too many. Just check things out. You would want to do that no matter what kind of business you start. Plus, it is so worth it even if it doesn't work out. You get so much stuff in your kit at such a great discount. You get your 30% discount off your first order and it is so easy to keep active with only a $300 minimum. I'd say go for it.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I used to think there were too many demos where I live (Madison, WI) until last January...

First off, there truly are A LOT of demos in the Madison area. There are a number extremely successful full time demos with very large downlines as well as a large number of hobby demos. Everyone in my stampin' family (especially my upline) thought the area was inundated with demos until we had a booth at Madison's annual wedding expo last January. We were shocked at how many people had never even heard of SU. They all kept asking where our store was, thinking we were retailers. I'd estimate that at least one third of the several hundred people we talked to that weekend had no idea who or what SU was. And that doesn't include the people who never even set foot in our booth and talked to us. I'd bet a lot more of them never heard of SU, either. And it wasn't just a fluke - the wedding expo this past January was the same way.

So don't ever think there are too many demos in your area until everyone you talk to is familiar with SU.

A lot of demos - sure. Too many - doubtful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

this is the main reason I will not be a demo at this time. There are alot of military wives selling SU, and I personally know of 3 on this post alone!! I did a search, and there are soooo many in the surrounding towns! I have put being a demo on hold.....for now......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default 2 many demonstrators

I have been a scrapbooker for six years. I never heard of SU until I attended a neighbor's workshop in Nov. and signed up that day to demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

i've wondered the same thing. i know several demos in my area. one of them is a friend-of-a-friend and she mentioned that i might wanna become a demo myself because my mom and i buy so much. i gave it some thought but when i mentioned the name of another demo i met and she sorta laughed and groaned "she has all the customers" i thought...hrm, might not be such a great idea if i want to sell to anyone but myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #10  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know what is funny-nobody seems to think having 2 hallmark stores across the street from each other is "too many", and in our mall there are 2 Hallmark stores, amd 1 card shop. They all seem busy enough to me! LOL

My area is "saturated", but I still manage to do well. I believe in the products SU sells, and try and offer good customer service to my custoers. I love what I do, and I think that shows. I alsways have new glas that have never heard of SU at my workshops, and of course they love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Too many demos ... well are they all active?
Even though there may be many listed in your area does not mean they are all still really out there selling. We have quite a few listed in the SU directory for my area but I really only know of one other demo that does shows.

Besides more can always be better ... more ladies to meet with and share ideas & techniques. Catch the fever from each other so to speak!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not a demo, but I know the website lists quite a few in my area and I've never run across a single one of them - I assume they aren't very active. The demo I buy from and that does my parties actually lives 45 minutes - 1 hour away from me. And now she's got me thinking about being one too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

There are quite a few on the base where I live. One used to live 5 houses down. I have never had a problem with another demo stepping on my toes. I did over 1,300.00 in sales in January. I also sell Pampered Chef, and there are tons of people who sell that in this area too. I did 1,250.00 in sales in January for them. If someone ever tells me they already have a demo or a consultant, I always let them know that if they ever have any questions or need anything I am available. I get lots of calls from people who couldn't get in touch with their regular person, that end up staying with me. Good Luck with your decision. I have never regretted my decision to sell SU.

The ones that show up on the SU website have to actually be selling. I think it is $500 in a two month period.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #14  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithful
Too many demos ... well are they all active?
Even though there may be many listed in your area does not mean they are all still really out there selling. We have quite a few listed in the SU directory for my area but I really only know of one other demo that does shows.
If they are listed on the SU! website, they must be active. There is a minimum rolling requirement to be listed. ($500 in any rolling three month period.) You can choose not to be listed (as I did) if you are just doing it for yourself (hobby demo).

Still, there are three demos listed in my little town and I've only heard of one. So I'd say, Go for it!!!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I think that it is harder on bases/posts because it seems like everyone is trying sell something. The ease of moving with home demonstrating seems to intice spouses of military members to sign-up.
I know that I have a harder time selling products AND booking parties because everyone is just burnt out on attending parties and buying stuff.

Mindy
WPAFB, OH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I think that it is harder on bases/posts because it seems like everyone is trying sell something. The ease of moving with home demonstrating seems to intice spouses of military members to sign-up.
I know that I have a harder time selling products AND booking parties because everyone is just burnt out on attending parties and buying stuff.

Mindy
WPAFB, OH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I wondered what the requirement was to be on the website. I've had people call me and I am the only one listed in my town. But I know that I've been listed when I'm not very active. I also think that if $500 in a 3 month rolling period is all there is required then alot of people on the list may still not be very active. With me and 3 other women I can do 600 in a 3 month period. I don't consider that to be very active.

I still say that it is pretty hard to saturate an area. People just know so many different people. You just never know until you try. And it is so worth it even if you don't consider continuing.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the advice.......

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I used to think SE Wis had too many demos... but I've had great sales in all the years I've demo'd... and I met another demo in Madison Regionals that actually lives a few houses away from me!

I never knew of her before, never heard of her name from ANY of my customers and people who attend my classes at the local community center (which is also up the street a bit farther)! I guess she's been demoing the same amount of years that I have... and curiously, ours paths have never crossed! I was stunned because I have alot of customers in the subdivision that buy from me and no one has ever mentioned her. When I sat in front of her at Regionals, she said hello. I guess she had heard of me, but not me, her!

Funny, but we must run in different circles! It goes to show you, even with "competition" up the street (that I didn't even know of!) it hasn't affected me a bit!

So I'd say, even if you think an area is saturated, I'd still give it a try. You just never know. If I knew of this other demo up the street when I signed up, I may not have signed up because of the competition... well NOW, I'm so glad I DID, because it has had no effect!

Go for it. I'm "living proof"!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I live in a small suburb of Phoenix (about 20,000), and there are AT LEAST 6 or so demos in my immediate area. I've never met any of them... but I can't imagine they are havign too much effect on my business. I've done nearly $10,000 in sales during my first year as a demonstrator... I'm SO glad that I signed up... and just think- I was worried about making my quarterly minimums at first! It is so much easier than I ever thought. Plus, it is really nice not to "pay" for my own supplies anymore... my craftroom is overflowing, and I haven't spent hardly anything on it this year!!

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:42 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Default Related Question

I live just outside of Minneapolis, and I have only encountered two SU demonstrators. I have been thinking of becoming one also, but I wanted to know if it is difficult to set up customers. Did anyone find it difficult to meet their $300 minimun at first?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:42 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default Related Question

I live just outside of Minneapolis, and I have only encountered two SU demonstrators. I have been thinking of becoming one also, but I wanted to know if it is difficult to set up customers. Did anyone find it difficult to meet their $300 minimun at first?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Erica, I don't think setting up customers and making that initial $300 is difficult at first because you can present it to family, friends, co-workers, fellow church members, other groups or organizations you belong to, etc., and then oftentimes, you get the friend-of-a-friend interested and so on. What I'm finding difficult is now, 4 1/2 years later. I've always been my best customer and that's how I signed up as a demo, with thoughts of one day turning it into a lucrative business. But I have yet to do that. Finding the time to do it (I have a 5 yr old and a very clingy 7 month old), and then convince others that they have time to do it is the hard part. I have a few regulars that help me meet the minimum, but that's about it. So, right now what I do is continue to make cards (I vowed to myself to never buy another card from a store) and projects for friends, family, my daughter's pre-school class & teacher, etc., so that they know this is what I do and maybe it will generate some interest or drum up some business until I'm able to put my whole heart into it. HTH! (Or maybe having said this, someone can help me, haha!)

~Krista
Texas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

There are about 20 THAT I KNOW OF in my area. Four are in my church, alone.

Our area is definitely saturated, but I still love what I do and I have enough business to keep going.
Reply With Quote Likes